Let’s talk about Zach Wilson

9 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

OMG.  The hate for this kid is so strange.

How awful it would be for him to look good?....So bad that the fans would be happy about it.

What a terrible outcome...

Also, if he is not stellar in the first pre-season game, the criticism will rain down gleefully. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, pointman said:

What are you basing this on?

Fair question, my answer is Aaron.

When Jorden Love was drafted, to Aaron this was TOXIC. Aaron had been begging for weapons, WRs, etc, and instead they draft his replacement. Aaron never spoke to him, never guided Love on the field.

Fast forward to Zack Wilson...many thought based on Aaron's handling of Love, he'd have little to do with ZW, but the complete opposite has happened. Aaron has talked ZW up every chance he's gotten. Aaron coaches ZW every day on the field, heck Aaron stands behind/next to ZW every down Zack takes and provides his wisdom to Zack. And that's just what we see on the field.

Aaron said in his last interview that he thinks Zack will look back on this time as a 'reset', and with Aaron's support will go on to have a very long, successful NFL career.

Just me maybe, but it seems Aaron is treating Zack like his son.

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

When Jorden Love was drafted, to Aaron this was TOXIC. Aaron had been begging for weapons, WRs, etc, and instead they draft his replacement. Aaron never spoke to him, never guided Love on the field.

Fast forward to Zack Wilson...many thought based on Aaron's handling of Love, he'd have little to do with ZW, but the complete opposite has happened. Aaron has talked ZW up every chance he's gotten. Aaron coaches ZW every day on the field, heck Aaron stands behind/next to ZW every down Zack takes and provides his wisdom to Zack. And that's just what we see on the field.

Aaron said in his last interview that he thinks Zack will look back on this time as a 'reset', and with Aaron's support will go on to have a very long, successful NFL career.

"Zach"

Katy Perry Wow GIF

I kid, I kid. He really said the part about it being seen as a reset and going on to having a long successful career? Hmm, interesting

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, pointman said:

"Zach"

Katy Perry Wow GIF

I kid, I kid. He really said the part about it being seen as a reset and going on to having a long successful career? Hmm, interesting

Word! My grandson is named Zack so that's how I'll always spell it!

And yes, Aaron said it this week. Loved to hear it.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, pointman said:

What are you basing this on?

He's basing it on Rodgers' own words.  Rodgers said that was one of the big reasons that he wanted to come to the Jets. He's spending a tremendous amount of time in TC working with and coaching Zach.

On 8/2/2023 at 1:46 PM, jetstream23 said:

Prediction:  Zach goes 9 for 11, 1 TD, 0 INT against a bunch of UDFAs on a high school field in Canton and then we wake up Friday morning to new threads here like...

"Okay, I'm a believer in Zach now"

"Told you Rodgers would fix him!"

"QB Controversy says what?!?!?!"

lol

Adding…

”We can’t ignore Zach’s 104.2 Rating last night”

3 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

I'm looking forward to seeing a bunch of know-it-all Jets fans have to eat crow, when Zach develops and becomes our FQB when Rodgers retires or goes to another team as the starter and has a great career. 

I’m looking forward to you acting like Zach never existed and yelling at us for “beating a dead horse” after he finally gets cut/traded next offseason.  

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, FootballLove said:

The bold is not true.  I don't know how that got started, but Rodgers did help Love.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I’m looking forward to you acting like Zach never existed and yelling at us for “beating a dead horse” after he finally gets cut/traded next offseason.  

That will never happen.  I have class and maturity, and I admit when I am wrong.  Zach isn't getting cut.  That's ridiculous!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

The bold is not true.  I don't know how that got started, but Rodgers did help Love.

Ah OK. I didn't follow too much, but recall how upset Aaron was when Love was drafted....anyway it will be interesting to see how Love plays if Aaron really tried to develop him for the last 3 seasons.

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Obviously ZW career path didn’t go the way we hoped. But he’s young and is in essence in a perfect situation right now. Issue being that it’s in Year 3 not 1 or 2. So contract extension wise it might be hard to decide what we should do with him. Have to deceive on his tag next off-season and I find it very unlikely we pick that up. Meaning that next year will be his last year with us under contract. I think we for sure have Rodgers for 2 years. So we won’t see ZW start hopefully (I say this meaning hopefully Rodgers stays healthy). So we’d have to give ZW a contract extension with him not starting for 2 years. Which is obviously incredibly risky. He’d have to really show he’s done a 180 in that time. Good thing should be is that he’d be learning from a HOF QB for those 2 years. Have the system down and he’d still be young actually. Now if Rodgers decides to play 3 years. Leaky no matter what happens with ZW in his development he’s likely done as a Jet. Bc he’d be a FA and might get a starting gig elsewhere. Or at least a chance to start.

Have to disagree on this. Unless rodgers misses a good amount of time, AND Zach REALY takes advantage of real NFL games, not just pre-season and mop up time. No one is giving him a contract at even a chance start it both of those do not occur. He needs a good amount of playing time to disprove his horrible play yr 1 and 2. His best bet would sign 2 yr deal backup $ with jets. One yr as rodgers backup ( if he plays 3) and 2nd yr being his shot to win the job and really prove entire world he has turned it around. All is a longshot, but look at geno :)

54 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Have to disagree on this. Unless rodgers misses a good amount of time, AND Zach REALY takes advantage of real NFL games, not just pre-season and mop up time. No one is giving him a contract at even a chance start it both of those do not occur. He needs a good amount of playing time to disprove his horrible play yr 1 and 2. His best bet would sign 2 yr deal backup $ with jets. One yr as rodgers backup ( if he plays 3) and 2nd yr being his shot to win the job and really prove entire world he has turned it around. All is a longshot, but look at geno :)

You’d have to assume regardless of how he actually looks in practice and all, that the staff and all would build him up. If nothing else to boost his value. So I could see this happening. So far down the line. Not worth debating really 

5 hours ago, JKlecko said:

I'm looking forward to seeing a bunch of know-it-all Jets fans have to eat crow, when Zach develops and becomes our FQB when Rodgers retires or goes to another team as the starter and has a great career. 

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Matthew Bingo GIF

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, genot said:
This pic was taken the day of the game last night J.D. What we're you smoking when you drafted him.
http://content.invisioncic.com/y326398/monthly_2023_08/Wilson-copy.thumb.jpg.78a97fe26dd90e9b5c007e9076e21d66.jpg

Are you sure that was last night ? Not sure... Just glad his arrow is pointed up at the moment .. nice bomb .. no ints ... better in the pocket ... no dirtballs ... He left some hope on the limited time he was in ... He may develop into something given the time and guidance. The talent is obvious.

I would.have preferred not to see the pirouette out of the pocket ... And he needs to develop more touch on the short stuff .. but far from terrible.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1

Looked like the same old Zack to me.  When you have to make this much effort to find something good to say, that is telling.  At least Boyle looks NFL ready.  Zack does not.  
... you say this because he tripped ?

3 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:
I say this because he got outplayed by every QB on the field on both sides of the ball who are not named Streveler. 

Ok .. so you missed the game is really what you're saying .. I think there are replays on NFL.com ...

They flashed a graphic at one point Boyle's QBR was in the low 60s and I believe Zach's was 104. Not sure where they ended up.

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Obviously ZW career path didn’t go the way we hoped. But he’s young and is in essence in a perfect situation right now. Issue being that it’s in Year 3 not 1 or 2. So contract extension wise it might be hard to decide what we should do with him. Have to deceive on his tag next off-season and I find it very unlikely we pick that up. Meaning that next year will be his last year with us under contract. I think we for sure have Rodgers for 2 years. So we won’t see ZW start hopefully (I say this meaning hopefully Rodgers stays healthy). So we’d have to give ZW a contract extension with him not starting for 2 years. Which is obviously incredibly risky. He’d have to really show he’s done a 180 in that time. Good thing should be is that he’d be learning from a HOF QB for those 2 years. Have the system down and he’d still be young actually. Now if Rodgers decides to play 3 years. Leaky no matter what happens with ZW in his development he’s likely done as a Jet. Bc he’d be a FA and might get a starting gig elsewhere. Or at least a chance to start.

Unlike Steve Young who sat behind Montana and was coached in a “system” by one of the top 5 greatest coaches in NFL history, the Jets don’t have a system.  Zach is sitting behind a great QB who is the system. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Are you sure that was last night ? Not sure... Just glad his arrow is pointed up at the moment .. nice bomb .. no ints ... better in the pocket ... no dirtballs ... He left some hope on the limited time he was in ... He may develop into something given the time and guidance. The talent is obvious.

I would.have preferred not to see the pirouette out of the pocket ... And he needs to develop more touch on the short stuff .. but far from terrible.

He was celebrating his 24th birthday. That was gameday. I don't feel comfortable with ant QB that my sister could beat up. 

• More Ugh 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Larz said:

Anyone watch his footwork and weight transfer?  I meant too but was watching the line. 

Set up was cleaner with more purpose and less jittery.  I think his biggest issue is that he still looks for the big play, with that arm of his.  He needs an internal clock each play to get rid of the ball.  Sometimes 2nd and 7 is good.

15 hours ago, Dunnie said:

could be completely incorrect.. but please feel free to alliterate further ... Zach is trending up and if it continues he will be here for the foreseeable future.

How?

A-A-Ron is tied to the Jets through 2025 unless the Jets want a 74M, 66M or 49M dead cap hit in any of the next three years.

Zach is signed through 2024.  The Jets will have to decide on picking up his 5th year option before next season.  That is over a 20 million commitment.  

That would be over 71M commitment to the QB position in 2025.  Who do you want to see cut/traded to keep Zach?

Zach might be 'trending', but the Jets cannot afford to pay him that money for being QB2.  It is more probable than not; the best Zach sees this season is mop-up duty.  The Jets will be lucky to see anything more than a 7th for him next offseason. 

• Upvote 1