Justin Herbert got paid.....

5 years 262.5 million

"Herbert's total value and $52.5 million average per season surpasses the $260 million, five-year extension ($52 million average) Baltimore's Lamar Jackson signed three months ago, a person close to the negotiations told The Associated Press."

12 hours ago, jvill 51 said:

Burrow should get $55M+ per.. and Mahomes is possibly the best value in the sport. He should get that contract ripped up ASAP.

Yep when it was signed so many people said “no one ever won a ring spending that high a cap percentage on the cap on a QB!” Others of us said just wait… will look like a bargain in short order.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, PS17 said:

Mahomes has the Brady mentality. He’s said on multiple occasions he’s fine making less than other QBs if it means they can retain their other star players. I’m surprised that more of them don’t think this way as even middle of the road QBs make generational wealth. 

Brady & Kraft skirted salary cap issues with Brady's "side" business ventures via the franchise. Brady got top pay when all else was factored in.

Mahommes and Josh Allen are all over the TV ads. They are just crushing it. Dont see Herbert or Burrow doing this.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Beerfish said:

5 years 262.5 million

"Herbert's total value and $52.5 million average per season surpasses the $260 million, five-year extension ($52 million average) Baltimore's Lamar Jackson signed three months ago, a person close to the negotiations told The Associated Press."

The dream is over. Would have loved to have signed him when he sprung free and see him in a Jets uniform - not current uniform yukkk

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yep when it was signed so many people said “no one ever won a ring spending that high a cap percentage on the cap on a QB!” Others of us said just wait… will look like a bargain in short order.

The problem is it was for 10 years. If he was on the same schedule as Herbert, Jackson etc. it wouldn’t look so bad. But he’s under control at that rate for 9 more years, when in 4-5 years the top guys are going to be negotiating their next deal and looking at what, $70M+ AAV?

I know like was already said he has the “Brady mentality”. And that’s all well and good, and maybe I’m way off base on this, but he also has an ego. And a few years from now I don’t think that ego is gonna be too happy when the next Daniel Jones comes along except now making 5-10M more than one of the best QBs in the history of the game. And when the Burrows and Herberts start lapping his salary.

Oh and unlike Brady, Mahomes isn’t married to a supermodel that makes more money than he does. And also unlike Brady, as far as I’m aware, Mahomes doesn’t have a totally above board business relationship with the Chiefs where they funnel money into his “fitness company” for completely legitimate, non-cap circumventing purposes.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, jvill 51 said:

The problem is it was for 10 years. If he was on the same schedule as Herbert, Jackson etc. it wouldn’t look so bad. But he’s under control at that rate for 9 more years, when in 4-5 years the top guys are going to be negotiating their next deal and looking at what, $70M+ AAV?

I know like was already said he has the “Brady mentality”. And that’s all well and good, and maybe I’m way off base on this, but he also has an ego. And a few years from now I don’t think that ego is gonna be too happy when the next Daniel Jones comes along except now making 5-10M more than one of the best QBs in the history of the game. And when the Burrows and Herberts start lapping his salary.

Oh and unlike Brady, Mahomes isn’t married to a supermodel that makes more money than he does. And also unlike Brady, as far as I’m aware, Mahomes doesn’t have a totally above board business relationship with the Chiefs where they funnel money into his “fitness company” for completely legitimate, non-cap circumventing purposes.

Actually the Mahomes contract was designed with several cliffs inviting renegotiation. Not super informed about this but people who know more than I made a convincing case that this was the case.

13 hours ago, Beerfish said:

5 years 262.5 million

Elite football players are getting paid at specific positions DL, QB, Edge, CB WR

But overall the average NFL player  gets dwarfed by NBA ballers who get $75-100 million contracts for playing 12 minutes a game. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, jgb said:

Actually the Mahomes contract was designed with several cliffs inviting renegotiation. Not super informed about this but people who know more than I made a convincing case that this was the case.

Would make sense. Honestly, he might be the one guy in the league that doesn’t really need the contractual assist. If he threatens to sit out unless they rework his deal to put him above the current highest guy, the Chiefs would absolutely accommodate. He could probably do it every single year. He holds all the cards for as long as he stays healthy.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jvill 51 said:

Would make sense. Honestly, he might be the one guy in the league that doesn’t really need the contractual assist. If he threatens to sit out unless they rework his deal to put him above the current highest guy, the Chiefs would absolutely accommodate. He could probably do it every single year. He holds all the cards for as long as he stays healthy.

Yeah, contract doesn’t mean that much here. He can basically name his price.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Brady & Kraft skirted salary cap issues with Brady's "side" business ventures via the franchise. Brady got top pay when all else was factored in.

Mahommes and Josh Allen are all over the TV ads. They are just crushing it. Dont see Herbert or Burrow doing this.

Why dont you see this happening? Herbert is in a major media market and Burrow is like a home grown, kindred spirit in Cincinnati. PLENTY of money to be made outside of the NFL.

14 hours ago, Beerfish said:

5 years 262.5 million

he's much more than 1% better than Lamar.

1 minute ago, batman10023 said:

he's much more than 1% better than Lamar.

It will be interesting to see how Lamar does this year in the new 'passing' offense.

Greg Roman essentially helped make him a star by totally designing an offense around what lamar does best then he gets kicked to the curbed as a bad oc for his troubles.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

if this ever comes out to be true - all those rings will be tainted.

i don't think those side business deals can make up for the salary difference.  but willing (and hope) to be proven wrong

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

It will be interesting to see how Lamar does this year in the new 'passing' offense.

Greg Roman essentially helped make him a star by totally designing an offense around what lamar does best then he gets kicked to the curbed as a bad oc for his troubles.

i would be willing to wager that he doesn't do as well as the others who got contracts around the same value.

48 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Elite football players are getting paid at specific positions DL, QB, Edge, CB WR

But overall the average NFL player  gets dwarfed by NBA ballers who get $75-100 million contracts for playing 12 minutes a game. 

82 game season x 12 minutes is more than 17 games x 30 minutes  

that doesn't include the fact that much fewer players per team in nba

50 minutes ago, jvill 51 said:

It is not like Brady was egoless.

I understand your point and it definitely applies to some players.

He did get paid.  He set the bar at the time. 

I think 10 years allows more flexibility for the team.  Next year he will be almost 20% of the cap and the Chiefs will have over 30 million in cap space.  What free agent WR is available next year?  If Tampa is horrible, the Bucs could try to trade him.  "Hey, Patrick we can get push some of your salary forward for Mike Evans?"