Zach Wilson - Every Throw vs Buccaneers

14 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Everyone is still coming to terms with re calibrating the new expectations for Zach. If he wasn’t under contract, he would be lucky to find a spot as # 3 on a roster. They are doing the right thing, keep training wheels on for now. Make his reach and ceiling a career #2. He hasn’t come close to earning that. 

They're bringing him along I think.  It's early days.  An Aaron Rodgers playbook goes deep.  Zach is on the first chapter.  Worst case I think is you have a young, likely motivated journeyman backup that will follow Hack wherever he goes and help teach some high draft pick QB and the rest of an offense the ropes.  I don't think he would be too expensive either.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The lone benefit to having Zach play the entire preseason is that it gave the rest of the offense a chance to practice the base fundamentals while the understudy was in the game. I don’t believe for a second that the Jets just spent their entire 2023 training camp focused on trying to improve Zach Wilson when, at the end of it, they’re watching this unproductive punch and judy crap that Zach is producing. The 2023 Jets don’t have the time to nurture and rehabilitate Zach Wilson right now. What we’re watching is Hackett calling the 5 or 6 passing plays Zach can execute with some efficiency until Rodgers deigns to play football. 

Fun fact- Tim Boyle has thrown more passes this preseason than Wilson has.

14 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

You really struggle with the game when it comes to this.  Jets don’t know this, they’re doing what they’re doing on purpose.  Hope anyone could complain about what has been a good preseason op until now is amazing to me

If this is a true reset for Wilson, then he shouldn’t have been handed the back up quarterback spot. Should’ve brought a true veteran back up in and let Zach completely watch this season.

Apologies if this has been stated earlier, it just seems that he doesn't use the proper mechanics on his throws way too often...too many back foot throws and side arm stuff...arm talent is always been there but just can't be accurate without the mechanics

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The lone benefit to having Zach play the entire preseason is that it gave the rest of the offense a chance to practice the base fundamentals while the understudy was in the game. I don’t believe for a second that the Jets just spent their entire 2023 training camp focused on trying to improve Zach Wilson when, at the end of it, they’re watching this unproductive punch and judy crap that Zach is producing. The 2023 Jets don’t have the time to nurture and rehabilitate Zach Wilson right now. What we’re watching is Hackett calling the 5 or 6 passing plays Zach can execute with some efficiency until Rodgers deigns to play football. 

Hack is installing the offense like every other OC does. I think preseason games are becoming less important to the teams in player evaluation than fans think. The meetings , weight room, individual drills are more important than fans think. 
Every year guys flash in preseason games and get cut. 

I think the play calling for Zach in the games has been focused on his getting the ball out fast as a way to develop him. They have already made decisions on 98% of the guys. Luther isn’t making the team with a sick 90 yard touchdown catch in a preseason game 

every guy here needs to watch the video. Posted by jetworks. It explains Rodgers approach.  They are trying to make Zach see the light. 

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

You can believe or not believe they’re not trying to develop Zach that’s fine.  It makes no sense because it in every way is what’s best for the team.  Plus 20 games isn’t a career.  I don’t see any references to spending the entire training camp fixing Zach.  He gets the 2nd QB time at working with the offense, as he should, he’s the one learning a new system.  He’s gotten the 1st QB starts in preseason games because he needs to 1. Keep Rodgers from getting beat up for no reason 2. Gets him snaps against 1st and 2nd string players.  
Zach gets more than 5 passes per game, Rodgers rests and the anti Zach contingent thinks up more ways to explain why the starts mean nothing.  How does even the idea that they’re trying to develop Zach bother anyone is mind boggling

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Lance has been a catastrophic bust. But he’s actually outplayed Wilson this preseason and has led scoring drives.

Still haven’t watched the video or care to comment about 2023 preseason being the year of the screen?

Lance has nothing to do with it.  I could post the ugliest throw you’ve ever seen if you want to get into Lance. 

33 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

If this is a true reset for Wilson, then he shouldn’t have been handed the back up quarterback spot. Should’ve brought a true veteran back up in and let Zach completely watch this season.

Why?  You guys think saving a roster spot, holding onto a player they like developmentally isn’t important ?  Getting 3rd QB snaps all year will help him?  He’s not watching all season as the #2 to a QB who hardly misses time?  

Sometimes when the HC, the GM and the mentoring QB saying he’s being developed, he’s being developed

Zach Wilson's biggest problems coming into this season were: pocket awareness; seeing the field; and accuracy. I think his pocket awareness is night and day when compared to last season - he is no longer bailing out, running backwards and turning his back to the play. Instead, he stands tall, moves within the pocket and keeps his eyes down field. I cannot speak entirely to the seeing the field but I've not seen anything on him not seeing open receivers and he does seem to be making his throwing decisions pretty quickly. I still think he has accuracy issues, but his less inaccurate than he was. I am hopeful that his progress continues.

2 hours ago, Larz said:

I think the play calling for Zach in the games has been focused on his getting the ball out fast as a way to develop him. 

Exactly.  The focus is clearly on quick decision making and getting the ball out quickly.  Something that was almost completely missing from Zach in his first two seasons.

• Upvote 1

Few thoughts.

1) Zach clearly inspired by Will McDonald on that spin move.  It was beautiful.

2) I really appreciated the Rodgers video about him not throwing to the middle.  Explains his insanely low career INT rate (far, far better than anyone else in league history).  

3) Given that video, I wonder if the coaching staff is focusing Zach solely on making those short passes to the sides and getting that completely down before they open up the deep sideline passes part of this.  If they are truly trying to turn him into Rodgers 2.0, that is a plausible concept.  In a way, the game is simpler for Rodgers because he is predetermining throws rather than reacting.  It might be a great path forward for Zach and I do think he has the arm talent to take care of the deep passes and the scrambles to buy time that the video highlights.  Perhaps an added benefit is we are showing nothing in preseason that BUF can really use in Week 1.

TL/DR: I have no freaking idea what they are asking Zach to do, but it doesn't hurt to be patient with it.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Few thoughts.

1) Zach clearly inspired by Will McDonald on that spin move.  It was beautiful.

2) I really appreciated the Rodgers video about him not throwing to the middle.  Explains his insanely low career INT rate (far, far better than anyone else in league history).  

3) Given that video, I wonder if the coaching staff is focusing Zach solely on making those short passes to the sides and getting that completely down before they open up the deep sideline passes part of this.  If they are truly trying to turn him into Rodgers 2.0, that is a plausible concept.  In a way, the game is simpler for Rodgers because he is predetermining throws rather than reacting.  It might be a great path forward for Zach and I do think he has the arm talent to take care of the deep passes and the scrambles to buy time that the video highlights.  Perhaps an added benefit is we are showing nothing in preseason that BUF can really use in Week 1.

TL/DR: I have no freaking idea what they are asking Zach to do, but it doesn't hurt to be patient with it.

I think there’s clearly an emphasis on having wilson complete the short passes, those screens that have been such a disaster so far.  Also, i think they want him to get rid of it quicker.  Bad things happen when he holds onto the ball too long bc he often forces it that leads to picks.  Nothing wrong with running for a few yards instead of a risky throw.  Also take the positive yards with shorter throws.  And be more selective in taking deeper shots. 

The sooner we can flip him for a conditional 6th to a QB needy team, the better. Everyone (him, the Jets, us fans) all just need to move on. It's clear he's not good enough to be taking any more snaps in the regular season for us.
Disagree .. he is improving.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

On 8/20/2023 at 12:25 PM, ZachStepdad said:

Mike white did the same sh*t and racked up 400 yards and was then crowned a god by everyone…. Now Zach is playing boring the narratives are crazy

.....So why isn't Zach racking up yards too?  White's Yards per Attempt was 7.0 as a Jet and he averaged 268 yards per game.  Wilson is struggling to get above 5.0 YPA in these preseason games against a bunch of guys whose NFL careers are about to come to a permanent end on August 29th.

You guys pick and choose when you knock dinking & dunking and meanwhile ignore how some guys are able to do it effectively and others aren't.

• Upvote 2

.....So why isn't Zach racking up yards too?  White's Yards per Attempt was 7.0 as a Jet and he averaged 268 yards per game.  Wilson is struggling to get above 5.0 YPA in these preseason games against a bunch of guys whose NFL careers are about to come to a permanent end on August 29th.
You guys pick and choose when you knock dinking & dunking and meanwhile ignore how some guys are able to do it effectively and others aren't.
He was an unknown for the Bengals game ... Last year he was terrible.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

51 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think there’s clearly an emphasis on having wilson complete the short passes, those screens that have been such a disaster so far.  Also, i think they want him to get rid of it quicker.  Bad things happen when he holds onto the ball too long bc he often forces it that leads to picks.  Nothing wrong with running for a few yards instead of a risky throw.  Also take the positive yards with shorter throws.  And be more selective in taking deeper shots. 

Forcing screens and 3 yard outs for the hell of it in exhibition games are not preparing him to play if he has to play in the regular season. Besides the bomb Wilson’s best pass over 3 games was a 9 yard hitch to #39.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

He was an unknown for the Bengals game ... Last year he was terrible.

Still averaged 6.8 YPA in '22 with a full year of tape on him and whilst mostly dinking and dunking. 

If that's the standard for "terrible" then what has Zach been this preseason?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

The scramble was nice, even though taking that hit to the shoulder instead of stepping OOB toward the end was stupid.

Bro still can't hit slants to save his life.

Ball is either way out in front or too far behind.

This is not a new problem.

Indeed.  People talked a lot about Zach not turning the ball over much in '22 but that's just because so many of his throws were uncatchable for BOTH teams.

He leaves wayyyy too many plays and points on the board for him to ever be a QB1 and that's been just as true this preseason as its been his whole career.  He's improving but not nearly enough.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

It wouldn't hurt at all if he was the project QB3.  As the QB2 he needs to be ready to enter any game at any time.  You comfortable with that?  

• Upvote 1

What has the preseason shown about Zack beyond standard vanilla play calling?

Zack can make the go ball, like Rodgers, that much is known.

Zack can bail and run at the proper time with no hesitation, like Rodgers, as he just showed.

Zack is not running around, trying to extend plays, like Rodgers. 

Zack appears to be in the beginning stages of learning and applying what Rodgers is teaching him.

Yes, Zack is not far from a total loss of confidence season but right now it seems he's having fun learning from his "big brother", as he recently called him, in rebuilding that confidence. Looking forward to hopefully having an ace in the hole when Rodgers is done and throws his last pass.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Serious question: have you watched Kenny Pickett play football this preseason? 

I don’t see the relevance or the point, but based on preseason all I’ve seen is he’s balling out. 

serious question.  If becton is playing well and Zach is on the bench, who is going to be your villian this year? 

37 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Forcing screens and 3 yard outs for the hell of it in exhibition games are not preparing him to play if he has to play in the regular season. Besides the bomb Wilson’s best pass over 3 games was a 9 yard hitch to #39.

goodfellas GIF

what was the takeaway from the video on Rodgers philosophy and concepts? The high crossers and TE seam routes ?

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Why?  You guys think saving a roster spot, holding onto a player they like developmentally isn’t important ?  Getting 3rd QB snaps all year will help him?  He’s not watching all season as the #2 to a QB who hardly misses time?  

Sometimes when the HC, the GM and the mentoring QB saying he’s being developed, he’s being developed

Young Frankenstein meets the NFL.  Just need a brain donor.  

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Larz said:

I don’t see the relevance or the point, but based on preseason all I’ve seen is he’s balling out. 

serious question.  If becton is playing well and Zach is on the bench, who is going to be your villian this year? 

You’re the ultimate fan that like Mekhi Becton, Zach Wilson, and Jamal Adams.
I’m that weird Jets fan that wants some ROI from lottery picks. 

• Upvote 3