Zach Wilson - Every Throw vs Buccaneers

1 hour ago, rtnelson said:

A thought crossed my mind that Zach's first slant to Lazard is from Lazard just being different.  He gets to the spot a tick faster than the guys Zach is normally throwing to. There's a reason dude is cashing checks. Just a guess.

Huh?? It’s just a bad throw lol. 

He looked meh. Like a backup QB. Not much to take from these games.

• Upvote 2

Has Wilson completed a pass that’s traveled further than 15 yards in the air? Watching other teams looks like they’re playing a different sport. Extremely disappointing preseason for Wilson. No juice. I’m happy he has mastered the art of the screen pass but the Bucs were obviously keyed in on that last night. 

• Upvote 2
  • More Ugh 3

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Has Wilson completed a pass that’s traveled further than 15 yards in the air? Watching other teams looks like they’re playing a different sport. Extremely disappointing preseason for Wilson. No juice. I’m happy he has mastered the art of the screen pass but the Bucs were obviously keyed in on that last night. 

They are obviously building a foundation with him. It’s gone from screens to Slants to intermediate stuff.  To me it looks like the emphasis is getting rid of the bal.  

every team calls a ton of screens in preseason because it keeps the QB clean. Every defense is looking for screens. 

what I didn’t like is taking 2 hits he could have easily avoided. This kid needs to slide or go out of bounce especially in the preseason. 

He always seems to get off to a slow start. First drives are key and he just always seems to be off early 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The one in the Hall of Fame game… baby steps for sure, better than I thought…

• Upvote 3

Just now, Larz said:

They are obviously building a foundation with him. It’s gone from screens to Slants to intermediate stuff.  To me it looks like the emphasis is getting rid of the bal.  

every team calls a ton of screens in preseason because it keeps the QB clean. Every defense is looking for screens. 

what I didn’t like is taking 2 hits he could have easily avoided. This kid needs to slide or go out of bounce especially in the preseason. 

He always seems to get off to a slow start. First drives are key and he just always seems to be off early 

If they’re calling screens on 3rd and long then it’s a team telling you there’s no confidence. Regardless of Saleh’s gaslighting, it’s been the same Wilson. He can’t complete passes down the field from the pocket. You can sign anyone off the street and throw screens all game. Wilson should have played more last night too. They’re hiding him still.

• Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 2
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Huh?? It’s just a bad throw lol. 

He looked meh. Like a backup QB. Not much to take from these games.

I am not excusing anything.  It's more of a compliment to Lazard.  No doubt he is hitting his spot quicker than Brownlee.  I bet it feels different throwing to those two guys.  There's a reason he was brought in.

43 minutes ago, Jetworks said:

Correct. They are trying to get him comfortable with how AR sees the game and picks where to throw based on philosophy/concepts. Physical tools are there, he needs to buy into the concept of efficiency. 

That was a really good watch and preview for the season.  

• Upvote 2

Zach is playing the most boring brand of football I have ever seen. I have no interest in watching. I tried to watch last night but turned off the game in the second Qrt. Trask looked so much better than Zach. I am sure he is being groomed for the #2 role but that doesn't  mean this is must see sports. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Zach is playing the most boring brand of football I have ever seen. I have no interest in watching. I tried to watch last night but turned off the game in the second Qrt. Trask looked so much better than Zach. I am sure he is being groomed for the #2 role but that doesn't  mean this is must see sports. 

Let’s get to halftime as quickly as possible so we can put Boyle in seemed to be the game plan.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If they’re calling screens on 3rd and long then it’s a team telling you there’s no confidence. Regardless of Saleh’s gaslighting, it’s been the same Wilson. He can’t complete passes down the field from the pocket. You can sign anyone off the street and throw screens all game. Wilson should have played more last night too. They’re hiding him still.

The positive read is that he looks like he’s trying to play QB: hanging in the pocket, getting the ball out quicker, not being as chaotic. 

The negative read is that he’s running the plays you’d call if you were down to using your punter as the emergency QB. Nothing with anticipation. Just running guys into his field of vision and letting him just throw it as hard as he can into their general vicinity. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The positive read is that he looks like he’s trying to play QB: hanging in the pocket, getting the ball out quicker, not being as chaotic. 

The negative read is that he’s running the plays you’d call if you were down to using your punter as the emergency QB. Nothing with anticipation. Just running guys into his field of vision and letting him just throw it as hard as he can into their general vicinity. 

actually on the "positives" I think he is being to "literal" with what they are telling him. It seemed to me he was always locking in on 1st read and when 1st read was covered he tried to run. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

3rd and 14 from the Bucs 18 and Wilson throws a 3 yard out. What are we doing.

He talked about missing on one of those last week and said “and we wouldn’t have gotten the 1st but it’s six yards in the field position battle.”  

Defensive head coach :(

All preseason long - get a penalty and shut it down.   Rodgers won’t do that.  

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

How do we know ZW wasn't being coached to do certain things in the game?   e.g. "Go with the first read and, if covered, run".  This is preseason, after all.

That would just mean they’re hiding him, which seems likely. Mahomes threw more passes yesterday than Wilson did. Wilson isn’t going to get better throwing screens on 3rd down.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

3rd and 14 from the Bucs 18 and Wilson throws a 3 yard out. What are we doing.

It’s preseason ……. And If you want knit pick about that what did Zach do in the last drive of the lions game last year when he converted the 3rd and long and 4th long downs …. Your narrative sucks

12 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

How do we know ZW wasn't being coached to do certain things in the game?   e.g. "Go with the first read and, if covered, run".  This is preseason, after all.

Totally agree.  We are not running a single play we will use in the regular season.  It’s like a different sport.