Jamal Adams still on PUP, unlikely for week 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Can we also do a hypothetical how many yards and tds you give up by having a SS 2 feet from the los on very single play all year?

That 9 sack stat is one of the most hilarious misleading stats of all time.

Take any SS in he league, blitz them like 70 times a year and let them stand in the box on almost every play and they will cobble 9 sacks together.  Also, like jamal and the seahawks that will totally expose the secondary and they will get killed, which is what happened to seattle.

In jamal big years there they had one of the very worst defense and pass defense in the league.  The next year seeing the error of their ways they played him off ball a lot more and then watched him get totally scorched in coverage game in and game out.

Jamal Adams, the most overrated player in the NFL over the last 25 years.

we agree they shouldn't have drafted an in-the-box safety or $LB top 10 in the NFL draft

the original sin was drafting him in the first place

there's a thread i put in the draft sub asking for Mahomes 2 days before that draft - I don't get a vote.

yes he was always bad in coverage

if my Adams "argument" has a point it's that the rebuilding years might not have been as lean with that guy in the locker room. And in fact, they didn't need to rebuild at all  

he got hurt so it became a dumb idea in hindsight and Saleh/Williams brothers/Mosely/Sauce has actually become a locker room culture. Garrett Wilson too and he's a part of this conversation as he was one of those picks 

but for like three seasons the Jets were aimless they lost all those games for what? a chance at Zach Wilson? if all it took was woody paying attention to buy a QB and cut checks and play games with cap, couldn't they have done that the whole time? 

Trading your assets away and losing 14 games out of 16 is not a genius general management move - there's no such thing as rebuilding in the NFL you only reload. JD traded down 11 slots for mims, the Eagles took Jalen Hurts in those picks 

what I hated about the Adams trade was the heady air of losses are wins. and rebuilding for what? A team capriciously all in for 2 years at the end of JD's contract? wow. how convenient 

I'm pretty sure anyone picked out of the audience could take over an NFL team, trade everyone of value, lose for 4 years then spend a billion dollars in year 5 to make a run 

We're starved for anything positive but it's just not that impressive. we should want the Jets to be a program with a chance at sustainable success. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • En Fuego 1

15 minutes ago, bitonti said:

we agree they shouldn't have drafted an in-the-box safety or $LB top 10 in the NFL draft

there's a thread i put in the draft sub asking for Mahomes 2 days before that draft - I don't get a vote.

if my Adams "argument" has a point it's that the rebuilding years might not have been as lean with that guy in the locker room. And in fact, they didn't need to rebuild at all  

he got hurt so it became a dumb idea in hindsight and Saleh/Williams brothers/Mosely/Sauce has actually become a locker room culture. Garrett Wilson too and he's a part of this conversation as he was one of those picks 

but for like three seasons the Jets were aimless they lost all those games for what? a chance at Zach Wilson? if all it took was woody paying attention to buy a QB and cut checks and play games with cap, couldn't they have done that the whole time? 

Trading your assets away and losing 14 games out of 16 is not a genius general management move - there's no such thing as rebuilding in the NFL you only reload. JD traded down 11 slots for mims, the Eagles took Jalen Hurts in those picks 

what I hated about the Adams trade was the heady air of losses are wins. and rebuilding for what? A team capriciously all in for 2 years at the end of JD's contract? wow. how convenient 

I'm pretty sure anyone picked out of the audience could take over an NFL team, trade everyone of value, lose for 4 years then spend a billion dollars in year 5 to make a run 

We're starved for anything positive but it's just not that impressive. we should want the Jets to be a program with a chance at sustainable success. 

Good post as usual. Yet, gotta kind of have success before you can sustain it. For the record I see neither happening here. 

• Upvote 1
  • Ugh 1

59 minutes ago, bitonti said:

How could anyone hate the jamal trade, he was not helping us win no matter what, 2 wins?  What we win 3 with a box safety?

The trade set us up for success, directly AVT and garret wilson, indirectly dj Reed

The seahawks made the blunder not the jets, the jaml trade was by far douglas's' best move

No jamal fleecing of the seahawks and the jets are probably still a 5 win team with no hope for the immediate future.

If jamal played an actual premium position and was a difference maker that is another thing.

You do not trade a good QB, oline, pass rusher, CB, WR if you are a poor team, you sure as hell do trade an overrated limited box safety who wants huge dollars.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

How could anyone hate the jamal trade, he was not helping us win no matter what, 2 wins?  What we win 3 with a box safety?

the 7-9 record of Gase with Adams is still the high water mark of the Joe douglas era

The trade set us up for success,

Hd Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

if you are a poor team, you sure as hell do trade an overrated limited box safety who wants huge dollars.

it was a good trade that's not the same as winning football games

• En Fuego 1

Just now, The Crusher said:

Yep, then he misses the ball and it hits him right in the head....

fudd-1920w.webp

It’s actually kind of surprising that teams don’t throw on him more in deep coverage. The way he tracks a ball is comical and yes his face mask has more than 1 dent in it lol 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

do you think we have a good core of young players?

so far, has AR been better than you expected?

do you think mahomes would have done similar here? i doubt it.

10 minutes ago, Larz said:

It’s actually kind of surprising that teams don’t throw on him more in deep coverage. The way he tracks a ball is comical and yes his face mask has more than 1 dent in it lol 

Well when DJ Reed played for them he almost always bailed him out on those plays. But, since then Prez hasn't really seen the field much. If he stays in the lineup I'm sure they will. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, The Crusher said:

Well when DJ Reed played for them he almost always bailed him out on those plays. But, since then Prez hasn't really seen the field much. If he stays in the lineup I'm sure they will. 

The last time I saw him he was straight up making business decisions. If there were a couple Seahawks near the ball he was a spectator. If he was the nearest guy he still stuck his nose in there but hawks fans must really be disappointed with him. 

Carroll has been using him in odd ways too. Last time I saw it he was a FS in more snap counts than near the line. The broadcast crew in one game said in the production meeting Carroll said that they were using him as a decoy in pass rush situations and blitzing from the opposite side. 

Bowles got the most out of him and Williams too. It’s really not complicated. He’s the ideal hybrid LB/S near the line with occasional deep responsibility. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/22/2023 at 5:13 PM, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

LOL the consensus bullet point on the scouting report for Jamal Adams was "leadership" and "character"

This was back when Gruden was still working draft commentary for ESPN or whoever and I remember him saying he would take Jamal Adams #1 or #2 overall, that he was the safest, cleanest prospect in the draft

"the sort of player you want to build your football program around"

"really excels in the box, but let's not be mistaken -- he can cover now, too...he can do it all"

LOL

"Because you are a character doesn't mean that you have character." - Winston Wolfe

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Larz said:

The last time I saw him he was straight up making business decisions. If there were a couple Seahawks near the ball he was a spectator. If he was the nearest guy he still stuck his nose in there but hawks fans must really be disappointed with him. 

I think that is what is the most disappointing thing about Jamal.  His best attribute is his ability to make violent hits, and to back off when he's most needed like in those goal line situations is sad.  He's not great in coverage, but he was good at helping with the run defense.  

But now that he got his money, I don't understand the business decisions, as you say.  I guess it's the business decisions of when he's done playing football, not to have injuries which might be permanent.  A guy like that should hang it up, but of course he needs to play out the contract and get all the money that's coming to him.  Then he can hang it up, because those days of big contracts for Jamal are over!

8 minutes ago, Alka said:

I think that is what is the most disappointing thing about Jamal.  His best attribute is his ability to make violent hits, and to back off when he's most needed like in those goal line situations is sad.  He's not great in coverage, but he was good at helping with the run defense.  

But now that he got his money, I don't understand the business decisions, as you say.  I guess it's the business decisions of when he's done playing football, not to have injuries which might be permanent.  A guy like that should hang it up, but of course he needs to play out the contract and get all the money that's coming to him.  Then he can hang it up, because those days of big contracts for Jamal are over!

He’s a mercenary. LSU got the best version of him, Jets got a good version of him, Seahawks got hosed lol. 

no doubt he is trying to retire healthy. 

in a way it’s understandable. RB, WR, LB and S have such violent hits that your brain is eventually going to be permanently damaged.  It’s a risk/ reward situation.  

• Upvote 1

On 8/24/2023 at 12:08 PM, bitonti said:

He

bitonti

DISCLAIMER

In my heart of hearts, I want the Jets to be brave and take QB Patrick Mahomes II at 6 overall. 

But it's too much to predict such a glorious outcome. 

Mac isn't going to be brave and he isn't going to get fired while Woodrow is in the United Kingdom. 

He's going to draft purely by his board and heaven help us if his best available player is a 300 pound defensive end

http://www.draftdaddy.com/MD/draft2017.htm

1.  Cleveland Browns - ER Myles Garrett, Texas A&M 

2.  San Francisco 49ers - DE Solomon Thomas, Stanford 

3. Chicago Bears - S Jamal Adams, LSU

4.  Jacksonville Jaguars - RB Leonard Fournette, LSU

5.  Tennessee Titans - CB Marshon Lattimore, Ohio State 

6.  New York Jets - S Malik Hooker, Ohio State 

7.  Los Angeles Chargers - WR Mike Williams, Clemson 

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

He

bitonti

DISCLAIMER

In my heart of hearts, I want the Jets to be brave and take QB Patrick Mahomes II at 6 overall. 

But it's too much to predict such a glorious outcome. 

Mac isn't going to be brave and he isn't going to get fired while Woodrow is in the United Kingdom. 

He's going to draft purely by his board and heaven help us if his best available player is a 300 pound defensive end

http://www.draftdaddy.com/MD/draft2017.htm

1.  Cleveland Browns - ER Myles Garrett, Texas A&M 

2.  San Francisco 49ers - DE Solomon Thomas, Stanford 

3. Chicago Bears - S Jamal Adams, LSU

4.  Jacksonville Jaguars - RB Leonard Fournette, LSU

5.  Tennessee Titans - CB Marshon Lattimore, Ohio State 

6.  New York Jets - S Malik Hooker, Ohio State 

7.  Los Angeles Chargers - WR Mike Williams, Clemson 

Here, Bit, I found it for you. I tried you a post of the week, but it is no longer allowed. You can claim your prize at the door.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

How on earth do you keep track of this stuff or remember it?  Do you spreadsheet or document all conversions for future reference?  That’s pretty impressive you can go find that. 

Ripping on @Pac’s awful takes over the years is a labor of love for me.  

• Haha 1

On 8/24/2023 at 6:08 PM, bitonti said:

I was downvoted into oblivion and told I didn’t understand football when I called for Wirfs over Becton

Steve Harvey Wow GIF by NBC 

• Upvote 1

At least they will have good pass defense for one week.   I think the Seahawks are not upset at all with him being out, they'd be very happy if they could dump him off to any takers.  His cap hit is 18,110,000 about 5 million more than the next guy on the list for Seattle.

John Schneider.......