Sports illustrated piece on Zach Wilson

Just now, Hal said:

I think the predictable runs are hurting the run game and the pass game.  

It's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario I'd wager in the eyes of the O-Co.

They clearly don't have confidence in letting Zach just fling it, and that is a big part of why Zach's INT totals are low, he's throwing mostly short, mostly low-risk throws, i.e. he's a Dink and Dunk QB at current.  

But they're also not investing in the run game by sticking with it (likely because we start every game down 7 or more it seems) and they either have Hall on a pitch-count despite what they've said publicly, or they simply don't believe in the run themselves.

Blind leading the inept.  The O-Co could (and should) do so much more, but does he believe Zach could do it and do it right?  Probably not.    

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

But such is the price of posting a fair and balanced analysis.

LOL.

It amuses me how often the Arch supporters of a guy deny they're an arch supporter while white-knighting endlessly for the guy their not an arch support of, supposedly.

P.S. throwing in a meaningless caveat is an obvious debate tactic mate, it fools no one.

27 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

I honestly see the improvement. He has gone from utterly useless to meh. So the article is correct and what alot of folks are saying is correct. 

So true but what is actually kind of ironic about this whole improvement blah blah blah argument, is that last year during that 5 win stretch before he was benched and team started wearing Mike White t-shirts, he actually was playing quite well in the 4th quarter of games and arguably having a bigger impact on the wins then he is this year, despite the improvement.  Even if you want to give Zach credit for the win yesterday, in the other wins it was all defense and ST's sprinkled w/ Breece Hall brilliance.   How do the Jets score those TD things if Hall gets injured because he's the only player on offense to score a TD in the last 3 games.  The Jets defense has 2 over that time period, I guess if Hall goes down we just need them to score more of those TD things.

• Upvote 2

What are we talking about here?  Has Zach improved..  Yeah.  He's gone from the single biggest bust of all time to a garden variety bust.  

From someone who was dirting multiple swing passes a game to only dirting 1 against the Giants. 

He is still demonstrably a bottom 5 QB and a couple hero passes at the end of a game he played terrible in doesn't change that. 

Has he ever had a 300 yard game or more than 2 tds in a game?  Has there ever been a game we've won because of his play?  Meanwhile how many have we lost because of him? 

His claim to fame is looking competent in a loss against Mahomes. 

Play 1 strong game from start to finish during a win and this at least becomes a conversation. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, bitonti said:

People who think Zach wilson is being held back by the coach are wrong 

I agree with this, Zach Wilson being held back by the coach is an acute minority view. ZW is obviously part of the problem.

You being an proponent of quality oline would not  blame Zach Wilson for the absence of a Jets running game. Likewise you might draw attention to the lack of a real target outside of Garret Wilson.

This argument about replacing Zach Wilson is a waste of air until the end of the season. If Rodgers comes back this season's end, I expect he would get destroyed behind this oline.

There are no quick fix solutions midseason, the flaws in the Jets offense are a multi dimensional personnel problem.

Every starting Jets quarterback since Namath has had their detractors...Intercepteverde, Noodle Arm. With only one team every year winning a title, football and  sports, brings out the acute frothing at the mouth, the rabidness in the lower half of the ranking NFL teams fan base.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

Every starting Jets quarterback since Namath has had their detractors...Intercepteverde, Noodle Arm. With only one team every year winning a title, football and  sports, brings out the acute frothing at the mouth, the rabidness in the lower half of the ranking NFL teams fan base.

good post, but I want to address the above,,, I remember Nomath getting booed at Shea when I was a kid there, the one constant is Jet fans I guess lol

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Right, because he failed as an intended starter. But that's not really relevant to the point that Zach supporters are making is it?

A aron is a Hofer without him, and Carr here being run out of town, people would be screaming for Zach.  There really aren't a lot of options in the NFL, especially until kids figure the pro game out.

30 minutes ago, Pac said:

What are we talking about here?  Has Zach improved..  Yeah.  He's gone from the single biggest bust of all time to a garden variety bust.  

From someone who was dirting multiple swing passes a game to only dirting 1 against the Giants. 

He is still demonstrably a bottom 5 QB and a couple hero passes at the end of a game he played terrible in doesn't change that. 

Has he ever had a 300 yard game or more than 2 tds in a game?  Has there ever been a game we've won because of his play?  Meanwhile how many have we lost because of him? 

Play 1 strong game from start to finish during a win and this at least becomes a conversation. 

Pac, when you are getting likes from JF80 on every post, you have to question  your thought process bud, too many white russians?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jetswin said:

A aron is a Hofer without him, and Carr here being run out of town, people would be screaming for Zach.  There really aren't a lot of options in the NFL, especially until kids figure the pro game out.

Do you think this?

If it's true it's only because of the bizarre attachment to Zach as a draft pick.

Carr (who I agree isn't good) has 64% completion this year for 6.8 YPA, 8 TDs and 4 INTs. If Zach had those numbers this year the homers would be picking up his 5th year option and putting him in the HoF.

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Do you think this?

If it's true it's only because of the bizarre attachment to Zach as a draft pick.

Carr (who I agree isn't good) has 64% completion this year for 6.8 YPA, 8 TDs and 4 INTs. If Zach had those numbers this year the homers would be picking up his 5th year option and putting him in the HoF.

If they threw outside of the box, ZW could easily have those numbers, they dont, so he wont. Do you even watch the games, i mean seriously?

LOL.
It amuses me how often the Arch supporters of a guy deny they're an arch supporter while white-knighting endlessly for the guy their not an arch support of, supposedly.
P.S. throwing in a meaningless caveat is an obvious debate tactic mate, it fools no one.
Nah ... I just call it like it is ... Zach is a young QB that was a project coming out, forced to play right away with poor coaching. Never developed until this year. And to this point has had a disappointing career.

He also has tremendous upside, physical ability, and is learning to process the game at a faster rate.

Context is important.... The team has won with him at QB against the best defenses in the league.

Add into this that the OL has not been in shambles for two straight years.

He still has a high ceiling, but he needs to accelerate his progress with real results in the form of better production .. specifically yards per game and TDs/Ints.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Posters who are clueless homers accusing others of not "watching the games" are hilarious to me.

let me fix that for you, try watching the game without hate goggles on, open your eyes, there is a world to see.

I am the oppostie of a homer, I could care less about any single player on the team. I observe what I see free of emotion or attachment. I watch the laundry. You and your crew watch through hate goggles

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Gibby said:

Confirmed - he is not turning over the ball at an alarming rate anymore- but still turning it over more than he puts up points.

Fumbled twice against the Giants, which contributed greatly to a situation where the "-9 net passing yards" G-men had us dead to rights.

Bad Giants' coaching decisions and bumbling Giants "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory" are the only things that spared us.

Fumbled snap against KC cost us a chance to win the game.

• Thumb Down 1

Just now, Flea Flicking Frank said:

let me fix that for you, try watching the game without hate goggles on, open your eyes, there is a world to see.

I am the oppostie of a homer, I could care less about any single player on the team. I observe what I see free of emotion or attachment. I watch the laundry. You and your crew watch through hate goggles

I don't hate Zach Wilson. I've just watched him play 29 games at the NFL level and my subjective opinion (which is backed up by all objective evidence) is that he sucks.

The argument that he doesn't suck is rooted in watching YouTube videos where we take every bad throw, bad decision, and crippling mistake that he makes (of which there are many) and reroute blame to someone else. If your argument that someone is good is purely based in excuse making for their failures, your argument sucks. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

The "growth" is he isn't throwing as many INTs.

He's just taking more sacks instead.

Even in '22, he showed he was capable of putting together 1 or 2 drives (e.g. vs BUF, vs PIT) in hurry-up mode.

Nothing's changed.

The devastatingly bad plays are still on display:

-- That dirted layup on 3rd and 1 to Breece with absolutely no pressure in his face

-- Throwing slants 2 yards behind GW

-- Running around backwards like an idiot on 4th and 10 with 2 mins left and the game on the line and not even managing to get the ball off 🤷‍♂️

There is all-world talent on this offense with GW and Breece.

If Gase and Darnold had this kind of talent, they would be getting absolutely murdered in the press.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Fumbled twice against the Giants, which contributed greatly to a situation where the "-9 net passing yards" G-men had us dead to rights.

The whole reason the Giants had -9 passing yards was because they correctly surmised that letting the Jets offense fail was better than failing on offense themselves. They just handed it off over and over because they weren't going to lose that way.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

I don't hate Zach Wilson. I've just watched him play 29 games at the NFL level and my subjective opinion (which is backed up by all objective evidence) is that he sucks.

The argument that he doesn't suck is rooted in watching YouTube videos where we take every bad throw, bad decision, and crippling mistake that he makes (of which there are many) and reroute blame to someone else. If your argument that someone is good is purely based in excuse making for their failures, your argument sucks. 

wow, ok, hard to compete with that, I mean your youtube watching prollly has you in line for an OC job somewhere soon, good luck, i will give you a reference if you need one. I have mad respect for youtube watchers

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Do you think this?

lol that's probably true...at least we'd be arguing about someone else hahaha

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I would like to inform the members of this wonderful forum, to please not abuse the "post of the week" icon on other useless and senseless posts. This my dear friends, is the post of the week without any doubt,  

Thanks OP for such wonderful thread.  

• More Ugh 1

3 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

The "growth" is he isn't throwing as many INTs.

He's just taking more sacks instead.

Even in '22, he showed he was capable of putting together 1 or 2 drives (e.g. vs BUF, vs PIT) in hurry-up mode.

There is all-world talent on this offense with GW and Breece.

If Gase and Darnold had this kind of talent, they would getting absolutely murdered in the press.

And fumbling, too.  He’s in the top 8 in the league for most fumbles now.  

There’s simply nothing he does well.  Nothing to hang your hat on. 

• WTF? 1

1 minute ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

wow, ok, hard to compete with that, I mean your youtube watching prollly has you in line for an OC job somewhere soon, good luck, i will give you a reference if you need one. I have mad respect for youtube watchers

I'm making fun of your stupid argument. Reading comprehension is your friend.

• WTF? 1

49 minutes ago, Pac said:

And he is New England’s b***h.  He has had 2 300yd games.

Only delusional fans believe in him.

• Upvote 3

Bad Giants' coaching decisions and bumbling Giants "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory" are the only things that spared us.
Fumbled snap against KC cost us a chance to win the game.
Ah yes another bad snap was his fault guy .. thanks for this.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1