We Need To Draft a QB If There's An Opportunity

Grandy

1 minute ago, Maynard13 said:

NO don't think so.  They can always sign, and will HAVE to, sign a tackle and WR next year. You cant depend on rooks for 2 essential positions.  A top pick at QB makes more sense.  He can sit and learn behind Rodgers for a couple years. Perfect scenario.   You grab teh best QB at your disposal and I think we will have a top 8 top 10pick in this upcoming draft. 

making sense has zero to do with it.  The jets have at most two years of rodgers you need high end talent for him and FA is never the thing you hope it will be.  Each year we as fans look at the list and think we are getting all the best guys we never do.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

It makes sense to draft a quarterback high but I doubt it happens. The Jets are all in with Rodgers and the way the league works, you financially cannot afford for a highly drafted quarterback to sit behind the incumbent what with the four year rookie contract plus the fifth year for first round drafted players.

Plus, I think that Douglas and Saleh job security is tied to Rodgers. If he gets them to the playoffs next season they fight another day. If he doesn't, then they are gone and it won't be their problem any more.

I think there is little chance the Jets take a quarterback in the first round.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

After seeing Tommy Devito be sacked 9 times and put up what would be Zach's best game ever. And after seeing Sam Howell lead the league in passing yards while being sacked the most, I have come to the conclusion that o-line is overrated. Long live the QB pick.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

NO don't think so.  They can always sign, and will HAVE to, sign a tackle and WR next year. You cant depend on rooks for 2 essential positions.  A top pick at QB makes more sense.  He can sit and learn behind Rodgers for a couple years. Perfect scenario.   You grab teh best QB at your disposal and I think we will have a top 8 top 10pick in this upcoming draft. 

This 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Beerfish said:

making sense has zero to do with it.  The jets have at most two years of rodgers you need high end talent for him and FA is never the thing you hope it will be.  Each year we as fans look at the list and think we are getting all the best guys we never do.

But Rodgers is NOT the end all. He's only going to be here a year ot two more. JD has to prepare for teh future and draft a QB early next year. The Zach bust makes it mandatory. Its an absolute must. There will be many quality prospects to choose from and we will have a to pick. JD has to plan for the future. He can fill in the other needs through FA.  WR, T, DT, LB

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Grandy said:

After seeing Tommy Devito be sacked 9 times and put up what would be Zach's best game ever. And after seeing Sam Howell lead the league in passing yards while being sacked the most, I have come to the conclusion that o-line is overrated. Long live the QB pick.

You’re going to get sacked.  You’re not going to have a lot of time most of the time.  You’re going to have to see things before the snap and get rid of the ball quickly.  Even bad qbs have good games and wilson never does, he’s worse than the bad qbs.  Just terrible.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

So picking a backup DL with your first pick helped Aaron how ? Lol. Jets can go with rodgers AND draft a qb. If they get a top 7 pick. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Aussie Jet said:

It makes sense to draft a quarterback high but I doubt it happens. The Jets are all in with Rodgers and the way the league works, you financially cannot afford for a highly drafted quarterback to sit behind the incumbent what with the four year rookie contract plus the fifth year for first round drafted players.

Plus, I think that Douglas and Saleh job security is tied to Rodgers. If he gets them to the playoffs next season they fight another day. If he doesn't, then they are gone and it won't be their problem any more.

I think there is little chance the Jets take a quarterback in the first round.

Zach Wilson's impending, and warranted unemployment should free up some cap space. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

But Rodgers is NOT the end all. He's only going to be here a year ot two more. JD has to prepare for teh future and draft a QB early next year. The Zach bust makes it mandatory. Its an absolute must. There will be many quality prospects to choose from and we will have a to pick. JD has to plan for the future. He can fill in the other needs through FA.  WR, T, DT, LB

**** jd. He shouldn’t be allowed to pick another qb 

• Post of the Week 1

Front office and coaching staff will have a gun to their head next year. Can’t imagine they are going to draft a qb they won’t be around to see develop if they bomb in 2024. The first will be used on a player that, at least in theory, will start immediately. Offensive line or WR more than likely. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, extmenace said:

Front office and coaching staff will have a gun to their head next year. Can’t imagine they are going to draft a qb they won’t be around to see develop if they bomb in 2024. The first will be used on a player that, at least in theory, will start immediately. Offensive line or WR more than likely. 

I’m predicting wr now.  

35 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Nonsense.  JD has to prepare for the future. Even Rodgers sat for several years behind Bret Farve.  The whole idea of keeping Zach on was for him to mentor under Rodgers this year. But is clearly evident Zach is just a bust despite being given yet another chance.  No way he is resigned next year. And no way anyone is giving JD anything for him like the Niners got for Trey lance or JD got for Darnold. Zach is done ala Josh Rosen. In fact, I'd love to bring Sam Darnold back next year to back up Rodgers. Never got a chance to wear the #14 jersey I bought when he was drafted. 

Ok, but they aren’t going to take a QB in the first round. Don’t shoot the messenger. 

I’m always about drafting a QB. You don’t have to convince me. 

11 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

What has he done to enjoy immunity from being fired. He isn not good

Breece, Sauce, Dj Reed, JJ, Clemons, AVT, Tippman, Garrett Wilson. He's made some good picks which have helped transform the defense and the offense. the Zach pick has just ruined this franchise but I believe it can be fixed quickly and put back on teh right track. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Ok, but they aren’t going to take a QB in the first round. Don’t shoot the messenger. 

I’m always about drafting a QB. You don’t have to convince me. 

He will. He has to. You cant pass up on Penix, Nix or Daniels and one of them will be there when Jets pick in top 10- 15.  No way JD can afford to miss on yet another QB. This could be his chance to hit on a Mahomes type prospect. You cant rely on Rodgers who is only playing another 2 years tops. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

JD’s got a 24-51 career record. He might be done making picks. 

1 minute ago, Maynard13 said:

He will. He has to. You cant pass up on Penix, Nix or Daniels and one of them will be there when Jets pick in top 10- 15.  No way JD can afford to miss on yet another QB. This could be his chance to hit on a Mahomes type prospect. You cant rely on Rodgers who is only playing another 2 years tops. 

Joe Douglas ans Saleh will not be here in two years if rodgers fails.  They are not going to be using draft resources for the next gm.  

Rodgers threw a fit when love was drafted instead of helping him out.   The same applies here, don;t get your hopes up.   We will trade down or by pass all QBs in the 1st round, we will draft one later on though probably.

• Upvote 1

Problem is JJ McCarthy would die here, you can’t trust Nix to be any good, and Penix has the extensive injury history. IMO, if they can’t get Daniels in round three, they’re better off taking a flyer on one of the gritty, experienced Purdy-types. Maybe Sam Hartman or the like.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Breece, Sauce, Dj Reed, JJ, Clemons, AVT, Tippman, Garrett Wilson. He's made some good picks which have helped transform the defense and the offense. the Zach pick has just ruined this franchise but I believe it can be fixed quickly and put back on teh right track. 

look I can fully admit that the garret Wilson/ sauce / Breece / JJ draft  was epic. I 100% agree with that……

But outside of that…. His free agent signings have all sucked outside of Quincy, and reed, and his drafts have been very sub par. 

overall he has improved this roster since he came to the nyj. But our roster was so epically bad that it would be hard not to accomplish this.  

A change is needed. I doubt it happens this year but it would be in the best interest for this team to move in another direction. 

the fact that he didn’t sign another qb the second ARod went down is unforgivable imo. ZW was an epically bad draft pick. I would say a historically bad draft pick. But rather than move on the jets keep starting him despite all the evidence saying he is not an nfl qb. He doesn’t deserve a roster spot. Fight me. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Grandy said:

If the Jets have a top 10 pick I think they have to address the elephant in the room. This team is going to be banking on a 40 year old Rodgers coming off an injury, and there is 0 plan for the position past the year or two they get from him. If he comes back, the team likely won't be in a good position to draft a QB again and we have a good class coming up.

Zach is not going to be anything in the NFL, and the team must accept this and move on. We may(e) have a great opportunity to draft a guy and properly develop him behind one of the best, paving the way for our post Rodgers future that's coming soon. As of now, we have no future without a successor. Taking a good OL would improve the team, but the importance of a QB outweighs.

Not saying I think it's likely, but it's what I believe we have to do if possible. I know many have fatigue with drafting QBs, but it IS the best tried and true method for long term success in the NFL. We're going to get it right at some point, and we need to take every reasonable opportunity to do so. Even the 3rd QB off the board this year is looking to be a quality prospect. If we are in a good spot to, we have to take that shot. Trading up is unlikely, but I'm not opposed to it. I think a QB like Drake Maye will be excellent in the NFL, and if he's deemed a worthy risk then so be it. Because as of now, our future is directionless as we've invested in so much Rodgers stuff.

Thanks for reading, hope you all have a great day.

No!

kidding, lol

34 minutes ago, extmenace said:

We all assumed that was the plan this yr lol. 

• Upvote 1