We Need To Draft a QB If There's An Opportunity

Grandy

7 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

They should but they won’t, unless Rodgers retires.

Aaron is running the franchise as long as he’s here 

I see this narrative a lot but don't buy it. Aaron has been around long enough to understand how the league works. Worst thing that can happen is it pisses him off. So what? Last time that happened he turned around back to back MVPs.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I see this narrative a lot but don't buy it. Aaron has been around long enough to understand how the league works. Worst thing that can happen is it pisses him off. So what? Last time that happened he turned around back to back MVPs.

When I say that he runs the franchise, what I’m really saying is that Douglas and Saleh look up to him and will implicitly make decisions to appease him. 

I don’t think they have the balls to take a QB in the first round. The narrative will be about building around Rodgers. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

When I say that he runs the franchise, what I’m really saying is that Douglas and Saleh look up to him and will implicitly make decisions to appease him. 

I don’t think they have the balls to take a QB in the first round. The narrative will be about building around Rodgers. 

I mean, they took a rotational edge rusher with their first this year.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Me neither, since they still are all in with lord Aaron and would rather give him a good wr to work with rather than a qb who doesn’t help him.  

That said, they need to take one on day 2.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

I mean, they took a rotational edge rusher with their first this year.

Right, but that’s not like taking a QB.

When you take an edge rusher you can tell him that you are trying to give him a better 4th quarter pass rush. When you take a QB, you have to tell him that you are using your most valuable asset for improving the team on a player that you want to replace him one day.

it’s not happening with Douglas, IMO. Would love to be proven wrong 

• Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, Larz said:

my 42 years of being a fan I can look at one good year from Vinny, one from chad and two from Mark to look back on.  

I’m sure the next guy will work out 

When it comes to the Jets and QB nothing has really worked.  Only thing you can do is try again.  

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Rodgers understands probably better than most that he's not a spring chicken and these picks are for the future. He's been there, done that and is now older. If JD is too much of a puss to draft a QB because he's scared of what Rodgers might think he shouldn't be the GM.

My impression from everything I have seen from the jets since Rodgers got here is that they would be afraid of what he thinks 

maybe that’s wrong 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

No chance at all of drafting a QB high for this team, none at all, zero.

I do see them drafting one later in the draft but no way we use our 1st rounder on a QB.

Standing here right now, i agree.  But you never know what happens within the organization by april.  Maybe by then woody says, find me another qb, you have one more shot.  

Just now, Augustiniak said:

Standing here right now, i agree.  But you never know what happens within the organization by april.  Maybe by then woody says, find me another qb, you have one more shot.  

They are still all in on codgers and no way they will do anything but draft a WR or and olieman to help him

• Upvote 1

I'm a fan of the top 4. Someone like Penix or Daniels would be the most realistic based on where we end up, but I'm not afraid to admit I think Drake Maye is going to be a star in the NFL. Would even consider trading up for him if we're close enough. Him on the Pats would be apocalyptic for us.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

They should but they won’t, unless Rodgers retires.

Aaron is running the franchise as long as he’s here 

Nonsense.  JD has to prepare for the future. Even Rodgers sat for several years behind Bret Farve.  The whole idea of keeping Zach on was for him to mentor under Rodgers this year. But is clearly evident Zach is just a bust despite being given yet another chance.  No way he is resigned next year. And no way anyone is giving JD anything for him like the Niners got for Trey lance or JD got for Darnold. Zach is done ala Josh Rosen. In fact, I'd love to bring Sam Darnold back next year to back up Rodgers. Never got a chance to wear the #14 jersey I bought when he was drafted. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Maynard13 said:

As @joewilly12 has said "The QB stirs the drink". 

Ask the Redskins how taking two stabs at QB worked out. Got RG3 the rookie of the year, a prolific talent before his leg fell off, and got Kirk Cousins in the same draft. Give me another shot at QB any day in round 4 over a Carter Warren backup OL scrub. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

They are still all in on codgers and no way they will do anything but draft a WR or and olieman to help him

NO don't think so.  They can always sign, and will HAVE to, sign a tackle and WR next year. You cant depend on rooks for 2 essential positions.  A top pick at QB makes more sense.  He can sit and learn behind Rodgers for a couple years. Perfect scenario.   You grab teh best QB at your disposal and I think we will have a top 8 top 10pick in this upcoming draft. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

27 minutes ago, Grandy said:

If the Jets have a top 10 pick I think they have to address the elephant in the room. This team is going to be banking on a 40 year old Rodgers coming off an injury, and there is 0 plan for the position past the year or two they get from him. If he comes back, the team likely won't be in a good position to draft a QB again and we have a good class coming up.

Zach is not going to be anything in the NFL, and the team must accept this and move on. We may(e) have a great opportunity to draft a guy and properly develop him behind one of the best, paving the way for our post Rodgers future that's coming soon. As of now, we have no future without a successor. Taking a good OL would improve the team, but the importance of a QB outweighs.

Not saying I think it's likely, but it's what I believe we have to do if possible. I know many have fatigue with drafting QBs, but it IS the best tried and true method for long term success in the NFL. We're going to get it right at some point, and we need to take every reasonable opportunity to do so. Even the 3rd QB off the board this year is looking to be a quality prospect. If we are in a good spot to, we have to take that shot. Trading up is unlikely, but I'm not opposed to it. I think a QB like Drake Maye will be excellent in the NFL, and if he's deemed a worthy risk then so be it. Because as of now, our future is directionless as we've invested in so much Rodgers stuff.

Thanks for reading, hope you all have a great day.

I am down with drafting a QB in the 1st round, only and only if we have a true veteran QB starter, and we already have a established oline. Clearly the Jets are not good at drafting young QBs that are ready to go from day 1. The Jets need to take a different route. The route that almost worked a few years ago. Really build the trenches first. Then insert the QB. It is actually not that hard. It is just the Jets keep making the most idiotic and ridiculous decisions. 

My take: Cut Zach Wilson. Do not tag Becton. Go full offense on the next draft - oline and WR. Sign a veteran QB to be the starter. Sign a QB2 veteran if possible.