We Need To Draft a QB If There's An Opportunity

Grandy

8 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

look I can fully admit that the garret Wilson/ sauce / Breece / JJ draft  was epic. I 100% agree with that……

But outside of that…. His free agent signings have all sucked outside of Quincy, and reed, and his drafts have been very sub par. 

overall he has improved this roster since he came to the nyj. But our roster was so epically bad that it would be hard not to accomplish this.  

A change is needed. I doubt it happens this year but it would be in the best interest for this team to move in another direction. 

the fact that he didn’t sign another qb the second ARod went down is unforgivable imo. ZW was an epically bad draft pick. I would say a historically bad draft pick. But rather than move on the jets keep starting him despite all the evidence saying he is not an nfl qb. He doesn’t deserve a roster spot. Fight me. 

I'm kind of like a Buddhist. So no to fighting but I will argue.  Zach is a disaster.  He has held this team back terribly. And yes JD was beyond stupid to not get a qualified back up in here behind Rodgers. But that is all moot a this point. I think JD redeems himself next year and its not at all difficult to do so. We have the nucleus in place. JD needs to cut his losses and move on. Drop Becton and Zach from next years roster.  He's going to have to solidify the OL which I dont think will be that difficult. Tippman, AVT Lake form a decent trio. We need 2 tackles. Its a must.  Mitchell is good insurance. Sign another top flight WR, drop Mosely or he will have to take a huge cut in salary,  Sign a backup QB. Again, an absolute must.  Cut Uzoumah. Another worthless entity on this roster. Bug changes are coming next year. Big. Draft a QB with the #1 pick and sit behind Aaron.  Onward.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

I think its a distinct possibility we go full out tankathon.  4- 13 gets us a top 5 pick easily. 

Let Zach play rest of the season if that’s the game plan. It would be the Jetiest thing to do, don’t bench zach and bring in a qb who team can win with in playoff hunt. Wait until out of playoff hunt, and then bench zach/win when losing would be best lol. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Let Zach play rest of the season if that’s the game plan. It would be the Jetiest thing to do, don’t bench zach and bring in a qb who team can win with in playoff hunt. Wait until out of playoff hunt, and then bench zach/win when losing would be best lol. 

This is why I'm not opposed to keeping Zach in there. We're going nowhere, and any win from now on is likely worse for our future.

A QB and WR or a WR and QB with our first two picks.

Don't sign Adams and let Rodgers retire.  Betting

on a forty something Rodgers to remain healthy and

compete against the young guns who have entered the

league was delusional. Wasting resources on Adams compounds

the problem. Woody should hire a locksmith to change the locks

in the building keeping Douglas, Saleh, Can't Hackett and Zach out.

Run off with a fine young broad and be happy till his crooked heart gives out

I don't see how the Jets can burn a first on a QB (that they probably can't develop, anyway) unless they've given up entirely on the Rodgers experiment. The Jets have for the first time in years a legit QB but the offense badly needs help at OL and WR. That first rounder could solve at least one spot for next year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

We could have drafted Levis last spring but no.  

Levis emits a bad douchey vibe.  The Jets were not picking him, but from an ability perspective he was the pick.  

The colossal screw up was taking a 230 pound DE and not a 200 pound WR and extending our 250 pound DE.  

Unfortunately, the call will be made at the time-if we are picking 8-12, do we take another Wirfs, or Garrett Wilson, or CeeDee Lamb, or Justin Jefferson, or Christian Darrishaw, or a QB like Mac Jones or Justin Fields?  

I think we are taking someone who can make AR8 better for 1-2 years.  

If AR8 retires it’s like a $60mm cap hit.  He basically has already been paid.  His salary is not that much.  

That is why Woody has been so cheap this season-he already laid out money for Rodgers and Quinnen. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, varjet said:

Levis emits a bad douchey vibe.  The Jets were not picking him, but from an ability perspective he was the pick.  

The colossal screw up was taking a 230 pound DE and not a 200 pound WR and extending our 250 pound DE.  

Unfortunately, the call will be made at the time-if we are picking 8-12, do we take another Wirfs, or Garrett Wilson, or CeeDee Lamb, or Justin Jefferson, or Christian Darrishaw, or a QB like Mac Jones or Justin Fields?  

If AR8 retires it’s like a $60mm cap hit.  He basically has already been paid.  His salary is not that much.  

That is why Woody has been so cheap this season-he already laid out money for Rodgers and Quinnen. 

Swapping 1sts with the Packers was the colossal screw-up.

1 minute ago, GangGreened said:

If we pass on a guy like Maye or Penix because we are scared of pissing off Rodgers than we should have never brought him in.

We also don't have the coaching staff to develop a QB properly. The coaches are here to let Rodgers do his thing and take care of the rest (Saleh with the Defense and letting the good vibes flow + Hackett running meetings and keeping things bro-tactic).

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

We also don't have the coaching staff to develop a QB properly. The coaches are here to let Rodgers do his thing and take care of the rest (Saleh with the Defense and letting the good vibes flow + Hackett running meetings and keeping things bro-tactic).

Yet i get the feeling that the gm has maybe one draft left so if you’re douglas wouldn’t you want to take a guy on day 2 to show you can find a qb before you get canned?  B/c even if the jets somehow make the playoffs with rodgers next year, it’s not sustainable unless you find someone else. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Augustiniak said:

Yet i get the feeling that the gm has maybe one draft left so if you’re douglas wouldn’t you want to take a guy on day 2 to show you can find a qb before you get canned?  B/c even if the jets somehow make the playoffs with rodgers next year, it’s not sustainable unless you find someone else. 

Agreed and I think we should draft a QB we like if we have a chance to. I just don't see that happening and more than having a future talent on the roster, this regime needs WINS. 

The offseason will be a full supported effort to bolster the OL + offensive skill positions to go all in on a short 2-year window. Woody will greenlight that because even back to back trips to the playoffs without a Super Bowl in ('24 + '25) is enough "justification" for ownership to sell to this fanbase "see these guys know what they're doing."

This is dangerous in the sense that a regime on the verge of collapse will sacrifice future assets in a major way to save their skin. So, I see big $ spent this free agency, 2025 high round picks used to trades, and no QBs drafted.

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

Agreed and I think we should draft a QB we like if we have a chance to. I just don't see that happening and more than having a future talent on the roster, this regime needs WINS. 

The offseason will be a full supported effort to bolster the OL + offensive skill positions to go all in on a short 2-year window. Woody will greenlight that because even back to back trips to the playoffs without a Super Bowl in ('24 + '25) is enough "justification" for ownership to sell to this fanbase "see these guys know what they're doing."

This is dangerous in the sense that a regime on the verge of collapse will sacrifice future assets in a major way to save their skin. So, I see big $ spent this free agency, 2025 high round picks used to trades, and no QBs drafted.

If they don’t draft a qb in 2024 it signals to me that they know they’re getting fired, all of them.  So they may as well burn it all out next season and try to show their decision to get rodgers had merit.  And maybe that would even be for the best b/c after that implodes they’ll all be gone and we’re back at the beginning of the death cycle.  

Of course they could just draft a guy in round 3.  I’m also not a huge believer in developing, i think guys have it or not.  If a guy has it he needs far less attention than if you’re dealing with zach wilson.  Draft a guy who doesn’t suck and he’ll be fine

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, varjet said:

Don’t get me bc started I was f’ing salivating over Addison for months

1 minute ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Fitz’s 2015 season was complete fools gold.  He was chucking 50/50 balls to Marshall and Decker and then choked biggest game of the year

I mean, yes in the sense that he wasn’t a real FQB despite putting up those types of numbers.

Doesn't change that it’s the best Jets QB season in the last 20 years and leaps and bounds better than anything Mark Sanchez ever did.

15 hours ago, Grandy said:

If the Jets have a top 10 pick I think they have to address the elephant in the room. This team is going to be banking on a 40 year old Rodgers coming off an injury, and there is 0 plan for the position past the year or two they get from him. If he comes back, the team likely won't be in a good position to draft a QB again and we have a good class coming up.

Zach is not going to be anything in the NFL, and the team must accept this and move on. We may(e) have a great opportunity to draft a guy and properly develop him behind one of the best, paving the way for our post Rodgers future that's coming soon. As of now, we have no future without a successor. Taking a good OL would improve the team, but the importance of a QB outweighs.

Not saying I think it's likely, but it's what I believe we have to do if possible. I know many have fatigue with drafting QBs, but it IS the best tried and true method for long term success in the NFL. We're going to get it right at some point, and we need to take every reasonable opportunity to do so. Even the 3rd QB off the board this year is looking to be a quality prospect. If we are in a good spot to, we have to take that shot. Trading up is unlikely, but I'm not opposed to it. I think a QB like Drake Maye will be excellent in the NFL, and if he's deemed a worthy risk then so be it. Because as of now, our future is directionless as we've invested in so much Rodgers stuff.

Thanks for reading, hope you all have a great day.

I think what we've learned, if anything, is that you can't win with a bad Oline, no matter who the QB is. We need to pump up the line first. I know every lineman we bring in gets hurt, but we need to make that priority 1. We've also learned that a lot of QBs taken early don't pan out. Let's get a solid WR, add a #1 OL, and another veteran OL guy and see what happens next year. Pick a kid in RD 4 to develop. With Arod, a solid #2, a better line and this D we could win the division. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Greensleeves said:

I think what we've learned, if anything, is that you can't win with a bad Oline, no matter who the QB is. We need to pump up the line first. I know every lineman we bring in gets hurt, but we need to make that priority 1. We've also learned that a lot of QBs taken early don't pan out. Let's get a solid WR, add a #1 OL, and another veteran OL guy and see what happens next year. Pick a kid in RD 4 to develop. With Arod, a solid #2, a better line and this D we could win the division. 

I thought it was the reverse - that you can’t win if your qb sucks.  Prevailing sentiment was always that the OL helps the qb and it does - but obscured in there is that the qb can make an OL look better or worse as well.  Put a guy like burrow on the jets and he’s getting rid of the ball much quicker and taking fewer sacks.  

1 hour ago, Grandy said:

I also think we need to consider flipping some players for draft assets this spring. Tag and trade Huff kinda thing. This is a loaded class. 

Agreed.  Trade some defense for picks to use on offense.  I'd even consider trading Sauce in the right deal (not even necessarily just for a draft pick but maybe a player instead).

• Haha 1