We Need To Draft a QB If There's An Opportunity

Grandy

3 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

I think what we've learned, if anything, is that you can't win with a bad Oline, no matter who the QB is. We need to pump up the line first. I know every lineman we bring in gets hurt, but we need to make that priority 1. We've also learned that a lot of QBs taken early don't pan out. Let's get a solid WR, add a #1 OL, and another veteran OL guy and see what happens next year. Pick a kid in RD 4 to develop. With Arod, a solid #2, a better line and this D we could win the division. 

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Agreed.  Trade some defense for picks to use on offense.  I'd even consider trading Sauce in the right deal (not even necessarily just for a draft pick but maybe a player instead).

They’re not moving sauce but i understand what you’re saying, that the team is too imbalanced.

they may move huff, if they can get real draft capital, or not.  But at the very least, it looks like the jets will have a top 12 pick and should be able to trade back to get another day 2 pick.  A reasonable draft could be round 1, trade back, take OT.  Day 2, with 2 3rd rounders, take a wr and a qb.  

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

What "two good years" did Mark Sanchez have?

Ryan Fitzpatricks' 2015 season dwarfs anything Mark Sanchez ever sniffed.

Please. Fitzpatrick threw up 50/50 balls to Marshall and he would grab it and score. Sanchez threw a lot of great balls in clutch spots in playoff games.  

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

You draft the damn qb.  Aaron Rodgers can go retire or demand a trade he’s 41 and can’t stay healthy 

Question, who is evlauating the QB's? Is it JD, Hackett, same scouts who evaluated last draft class? I would not trust this regime at all to draft a QB, nobody in the building knows what the Fk they are doing at the QB position, which is how we got here in first place. I don't beleive at all that drafting a QB is luck, you have to know what you are looking at, and then build a system around him, we can't do eitehr of those things with this regime. If we want to draft a QB, which I want, we need a new regime in here

Only guys I would draft in the first are Drake Maye and Shedeur Sanders. We won’t be in position to draft Maye. And I doubt Sanders comes out. I don't trust any of the other top QBs.

I would much rather draft a guy like Spencer Rattler in the 4th. Let him be QB3. Get a real backup like Jacoby Brissett or Gardner Minshew to be QB2.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Question, who is evlauating the QB's? Is it JD, Hackett, same scouts who evaluated last draft class? I would not trust this regime at all to draft a QB, nobody in the building knows what the Fk they are doing at the QB position, which is how we got here in first place. I don't beleive at all that drafting a QB is luck, you have to know what you are looking at, and then build a system around him, we can't do eitehr of those things with this regime. If we want to draft a QB, which I want, we need a new regime in here

JD’s track record of drafting Qb is horrible I agree.  But having Zach as the backup next season is exactly what it was last offseason a totally inept move

And before you say sign a vet backup- we actually need to do both which is exactly what we should have done last offseason 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Larz said:

Please. Fitzpatrick threw up 50/50 balls to Marshall and he would grab it and score. Sanchez threw a lot of great balls in clutch spots in playoff games.  

Ryan Fitzpatrick did throw up a lot of balls that allowed Brandon Marshall to make plays. That does not change the fact that he threw for 3,905 yards and 31 TDs. Team went 10-6. They were top ten in the NFL that year.

Do not confuse this for an argument that Ryan Fitzpatrick was a "good" quarterback. He was a journeyman who had a good year -- the only legitimately productive season a Jets QB has had in 20 years.

Show me Mark Sanchez's comparable season. Guy had Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, Jericho Cotchery, Dustin Keller and arguably the best offensive line in the NFL and was worse in every major statistical category.

The guy literally led the NFL in turnovers over a three year span and held back a Super Bowl caliber roster. The way Jets fans have blinders for this guy is just crazy to me.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

JD’s track record of drafting Qb is horrible I agree.  But having Zach as the backup next season is exactly what it was last offseason a totally inept move

And before you say sign a vet backup- we actually need to do both which is exactly what we should have done last offseason 

what we really need are people in the building who know what they are doing with the QB, identifying one, and developing one, and creating a system that works for them. Until we have that, nothing really matters. Drafting a QB high with this crew will be another failure, its all but guaranteed.

25 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick did throw up a lot of balls that allowed Brandon Marshall to make plays. That does not change the fact that he threw for 3,905 yards and 31 TDs. Team went 10-6. They were top ten in the NFL that year.

Do not confuse this for an argument that Ryan Fitzpatrick was a "good" quarterback. He was a journeyman who had a good year -- the only legitimately productive season a Jets QB has had in 20 years.

Show me Mark Sanchez's comparable season. Guy had Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, Jericho Cotchery, Dustin Keller and arguably the best offensive line in the NFL and was worse in every major statistical category.

The guy literally led the NFL in turnovers over a three year span and held back a Super Bowl caliber roster. The way Jets fans have blinders for this guy is just crazy to me.

Fitz said it.  Go argue with him lol what the **** the jets are a laughing stock and you want to argue about this. 

here is your cookie. 

IMG_7808.webp

16 hours ago, NorthCoastJetsFan said:

I am not disputing the need for a QB, but they had better do something with this awful OL or the results will be the same.

Every team knew our weakness was OL.  Jets fans should have taken the clue when bb let Pittsburgh cut in front of us during the draft.  He knew that would be our house of cards.  Personally, was surprised that AR decided to come to NY with a shi*%y OL situation.  

18 minutes ago, Larz said:

Fitz said it.  Go argue with him lol what the **** the jets are a laughing stock and you want to argue about this. 

here is your cookie. 

I just called out your patently false statement, because stuff that is wrongly presented as true should be called out and discussed. I'm sorry you got your panties in a bunch -- discussing and arguing about the Jets is the entire reason everyone is here.

6 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

I thought it was the reverse - that you can’t win if your qb sucks.  Prevailing sentiment was always that the OL helps the qb and it does - but obscured in there is that the qb can make an OL look better or worse as well.  Put a guy like burrow on the jets and he’s getting rid of the ball much quicker and taking fewer sacks.  

Common wisdom says you build the line before you get the QB. Burrow hasn't had a good line since he's been there and he's always hurt. You don't want to finally find that guy and have him hurt and miss seasons in his prime. A good QB can make a line better, but it won't make them good enough to win playoff games if they don't have the talent. Games can be wrecked in the trenches. No way would i want Arod out there with this makeshift line - he held the ball too long in the first game and got hurt - that's when the line was mostly in tact.

6 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

They’re not moving sauce but i understand what you’re saying, that the team is too imbalanced.

they may move huff, if they can get real draft capital, or not.  But at the very least, it looks like the jets will have a top 12 pick and should be able to trade back to get another day 2 pick.  A reasonable draft could be round 1, trade back, take OT.  Day 2, with 2 3rd rounders, take a wr and a qb.  

Huff is a UFA come March.  He may move, but I don't think we are getting anything for him.

6 hours ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

what we really need are people in the building who know what they are doing with the QB, identifying one, and developing one, and creating a system that works for them. Until we have that, nothing really matters. Drafting a QB high with this crew will be another failure, its all but guaranteed.

Like Daboll?  Guy is pretty much known for developing QBs.  The Giants still elected to pay all that coin to Daniel Jones.

6 hours ago, Larz said:

Lol sanchez. He did do slightly better in playoffs , well up until both afc championship games. But he was garbage, only next to Zach can you not call him that. 

At least fitz hit Marshall. He also made Eric decker a 1000 receiver too that yr. Who wasn’t a “ jump ball “ guy. But very good WR.  Brylon edwards was a “ jump ball “ guy for mark. Sanchez had more picks than tds in those 2 yrs jets D and strong running game did most of the work. Fitzpatrick had more than double the tds than INTs in 2015. Josh mccown had a bad roster to work and he still put up 18 tds 9 INTs in 13 games. 67% . So those two so called “ jags “ both had season of their career here. Which counters the excuse it’s impossible for a qb to do decent playing for jets. 

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol sanchez. He did do slightly better in playoffs , well up until both afc championship games. But he was garbage, only next to Zach can you not call him that. 

At least fitz hit Marshall. He also made Eric decker a 1000 receiver to that yr. Who wasn’t a “ jump ball “ guy. But very good WR. Sanchez had more picks than tds in those 2 yrs jets D and strong running game did most of the work. Fitzpatrick had more than double the tds than INTs in 2015. Josh mccown had a bad roster to work and he still put up 18 tds 9 INTs in 13 games. 67% . So those two so called “ jags “ both had season of their career here. Which counters the excuse it’s impossible for a qb to do decent playing for jets. 

You just can’t absolutely suck.  If you don’t just suck you can do ok.  

Rodgers may make our FO unlikely to pick a QB, but I'd argue there's never been a better opportunity to properly develop a QB prospect. We can't let him play GM, look where it's gotten us already. Letting him make our 1st round pick would be unacceptable.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Rodgers may make our FO unlikely to pick a QB, but I'd argue there's never been a better opportunity to properly develop a QB prospect. We can't let him play GM, look where it's gotten us already. Letting him make our 1st round pick would be unacceptable.

Also i think most here believe that rodgers would be dead set against taking a qb, but maybe he’d be on board if it was in rounds 2 or 3.  The guy needs a real backup while he’s here and the guys the jets are going to be able to get are going to suck anyway

1 hour ago, Grandy said:

They surely didn’t appease rodgers with the Will McDonald pick with their top pick. He didn’t stomp his feet at that head scratcher. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Nobody was going to ever “develop” Zach Wilson.  The evaluations made of him before the draft were horrendously way off base

They need a qb after Rodgers.  Only two places to get one.  I wouldn’t be surprised if they go the free agent or trade route for a vet.  The thing with a vet is he’s not going to want to sit on the bench behind Rodgers.  Plus a vet will cost.  They could look at the second stringers on other team.  Guys like darnold are out there.  But if they go they way of the draft they should stay away from the early rounds and draft one or more later.  Use the prime draft picks for oline beef and wrs.

We need a quarterback....period!  The most important position on a team and we (Jets organization) can't nail it down for whatever reason.  Whether the draft, FA, trade, we fail miserably.  Doesn't matter the staff or the decade, it's the missing piece to respectability.  Sure, I would just like to say let's draft a QB but what makes you so sure this is the draft where we finally get our franchise QB?  It's either history says we don't or law of averages we do...

On 11/19/2023 at 8:52 PM, NorthCoastJetsFan said:

I am not disputing the need for a QB, but they had better do something with this awful OL or the results will be the same.

Personally, I do not trust Joe Douglas to fix either one of those things. If I had it my way, I would have the new GM fix both in 2025. Yes, we are giving away this season and the next as usual.

I think if you end up in that 5th overall range you'd be foolish to not at least consider moving up for Williams or Maye.  It's going to cost your next 1st at least.  If there was ever a year to pay that price though, this would be it.  

If not though they'll probably take Fashanu or Alt if they end up picking that high.  If we stay in that 10-11 range, maybe we go WR.  Coleman, Odunze, and/or Nabers should all go in that range.  At least 1 of them should be on the board.

No matter what there should be some good options.  But I agree, solving the QB of the future spot is a priority.  Probably the biggest priority.  I just don't see them doing it UNLESS it's Caleb or Maye.  I think they take one late(4th?), see how he develops this year, and then decide if they want to draft one high in 2025.

• Upvote 1

On 11/19/2023 at 8:52 PM, Zachtomims47 said:

If this staff stays, they ain’t drafting a QB in the first round. 

I agree they need to take a QB...but I think this is true...Joe and Saleh will likely keep their job. They aren't going to want to waste a pick on a QB who wont play and will sit to develop. And then they aren't here to see the development through. Then a new staff comes in and the qb may not fit their scheme and it goes no where.

We can debate it from now until April (and I'm sure we will!) but there is a 0% chance we draft a QB in the first round unless JD is gone. 

JD has to win now - they've placed all their eggs in the Rodgers basket - whether you agree with it or not its a moot point. 

The good news is this is a very good draft for the Jets needs. 

Several QBs will go in round 1 - there are also several good OTs and WRs an unbelievable TE - but also a bunch of blue chip defensive guys that will push offensive players back to the Jets. 

My guess is we're picking somewhere between 5-10 as I don't see us winning more than two games rest of the way. Top three will almost assuredly go Maye, Williams, Harrison Jr. Ideal scenario is probably someone falling in love with Nix/Daniels/Penix/McCarthy and trading up with us so we can recoup a 2nd rounder+. 

Should still be able to get one of the OTs or WRs maybe Bowers. Class reminds me of the 2020 draft. Good high-end prospects for OT and WR. I would love Malik Nabers but guessing JD will go for one of the tackles. 

It will never happen but I hope JD drafts 3 OL. As much as I'd love Nabers or Coleman its clear the NFL has a dearth of OL. Just get it out of the way and overstock the OL room with young cheap talent. If they get a round 1 OT and a round 2 C/G (which could easily be the top C/G in the draft) we could actually turn this OL around sooner than anticipated. AVT should start at RT, Tippman should play RG, rookie day two C, Laken, and rookie Rd1 LT could be a good young group if JD can hit on this draft. 

He'll probably draft another edge though 

19 hours ago, Grandy said:

If the Jets have a top 10 pick I think they have to address the elephant in the room. This team is going to be banking on a 40 year old Rodgers coming off an injury, and there is 0 plan for the position past the year or two they get from him. If he comes back, the team likely won't be in a good position to draft a QB again and we have a good class coming up.

Zach is not going to be anything in the NFL, and the team must accept this and move on. We may(e) have a great opportunity to draft a guy and properly develop him behind one of the best, paving the way for our post Rodgers future that's coming soon. As of now, we have no future without a successor. Taking a good OL would improve the team, but the importance of a QB outweighs.

Not saying I think it's likely, but it's what I believe we have to do if possible. I know many have fatigue with drafting QBs, but it IS the best tried and true method for long term success in the NFL. We're going to get it right at some point, and we need to take every reasonable opportunity to do so. Even the 3rd QB off the board this year is looking to be a quality prospect. If we are in a good spot to, we have to take that shot. Trading up is unlikely, but I'm not opposed to it. I think a QB like Drake Maye will be excellent in the NFL, and if he's deemed a worthy risk then so be it. Because as of now, our future is directionless as we've invested in so much Rodgers stuff.

Thanks for reading, hope you all have a great day.

They should even if Rodgers does not retire.  Redshirt a quality prospect and let Rodgers do for him what he tried to do for Zach.  Might have better success with better raw skills to start with.  They say Becton has a market value of $12-13 per.  Cut Tomlinson, Lawson, Cook, Uzamah and Brown to save $40MM to pay for 2 solid tackles.

Rodgers is protected.  If Rodgers gets hurt, we have a promising back-up.  If he leads us to a deep playoff run, we are developing the future franchise QB.  If they can add a solid #2 receiver or a , we could be a real contender now and in the future.

• Upvote 1