Jets wait until week 14, then tell Zach to “Let it rip”! What took so long?

jetstream23

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Shame we don't have a 2nd round pick.  

I don't know a lot about him - but like what I've read.  Seems to a late 2nd rounder.   

A bit of a raw 2nd round project that can sit behind Rodgers for a year or two.  Sign me up for this kid.

Rising is going back to Utah next year. He’d be a Day 3/UDFA type

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Mostly because he clearly allowed the toxicity of the fan base to get to him and affect his performance.

It's hilarious to me how much you over-value the effect of the "fanbase" on a player's long-term performance because of what you read here or in the NY papers.  

But I do love the subtle "It's not Zach's fault, it's all you bad fans at fault for being so toxic" meaning behind it.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Yeah, you’re right, Saleh doesn’t want to play with a lead.

The fact that some of you can’t separate “managing around an awful QB” vs “game planning to have a bad offense on purpose” is laughable.

This defense is literally built to play with a lead. We just never have one because the offense sucks.

Well, what happened today?

Just now, Warfish said:

It's hilarious to me how much you over-value the effect of the "fanbase" on a player because of what you read here or in the NY papers.  

But I do love the subtle "It's not Zach's fault, it's all you bad fans at fault for being so toxic" meaning behind it.

The “it’s the mean fanbases fault the player sucks” take is one of the more embarrassing ones out there.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Warfish said:

It's hilarious to me how much you over-value the effect of the "fanbase" on a player because of what you read here or in the NY papers.  

If you can't see that it affects Zach then you haven't been paying attention.  Zach is clearly a confidence player and when he gets in his own head he folds.  He clearly let the fans and media get to him.

That means he's probably not cut out to be an NFL QB - need to have thicker skin that that....but coming to the most toxic fan base in all of sports was a death sentence before his career even started.

• More Ugh 1

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yeah, I looked him up and read this.  Seems they said late 2nd....But I think then I even misread it...

DRAFT PROJECTION: 2ND - LATE
OVERALL RANK: #66 POSITION RANK: #22

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Cameron-Rising-QB-Utah

He missed this season with an injury. I’d imagine the 2nd round projection was made with the idea he’d light it up this year. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

If you can't see that it affects Zach then you haven't been paying attention.

And a player that soft and easily distracted and demotivated was never going to succeed, here or anywhere, if that's true.

Far more likely he just isn't, and never was, that good a QB.

Zach is clearly a confidence player and when he gets in his own head he folds.

Because he had any reason at all to be confident going into today?  Give me a break.

That means he's probably not cut out to be an NFL QB - need to have thicker skin that that....but coming to the most toxic fan base in all of sports was a death sentence before his career even started.

We're not the most toxic.  We're perfectly normal and no more or less toxic than any other fanbase.  Same as here in DC, same as any other passionate city.  Point of fact I'd wager the Jets in NY are an afterthought in that city's sports universe, whereas in some cities, the NFL team is the be all everything.  

The only thing about NY Fans that is unique is the massive ego they have about how special and unique they (and their city) is.

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I’d go the other direction and argue that a shocking percentage of Jets fans remain fiercely loyal to this kid for reasons that make zero sense whatsoever.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Point of fact I'd wager the Jets in NY are an afterthought in that city's sports universe, whereas in some cities, the NFL team is the be all everything.  

Sure, NY is a big city that has a lot more going on than football - but in those smaller cities they don't relish in outwardly and regularly attacking young players - in Zach's case the toxicity was evident even before he was drafted.  That is not normal.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Sure, NY is a big city that has a lot more going on than football - but in those smaller cities they don't relish in outwardly and regularly attacking young players - in Zach's case the toxicity was evident even before he was drafted.  That is not normal.  

You sound like someone who has never lived in a passionate NFL City other than NY.

I can assured you, as a 30+ year resident of a city whose entire sports universe started and ended with the NFL team, yes, in fact, they do "attack" young players on internet forums young players should be cut on the spot if they were ever found reading.

P.S. It's also funny you think Zach is here reading this forum and/or it's ilk.  SMH.

P.S.S. the "toxicity" about Zach is entirely in-line with the "toxicity" over Darnold, Geno, Sanchez, Pennington, etc, etc, etc.  Another Zach Truther fantasy, that Zach is somehow being treated differently than anyone else.  :roll:

10 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I’d go the other direction and argue that a shocking percentage of Jets fans remain fiercely loyal to this kid for reasons that make zero sense whatsoever.

I think Zach was an interesting case - for some reason he ended up being treated more like political candidate with strong passions on both sides - rather than a kid from Utah that was drafted to play football.

Like politics I suspect social media played a big role in division.

45 minutes ago, Warfish said:

P.S. It's also funny you think Zach is here reading this forum and/or it's ilk.  SMH.

I think it's funny you don't think these guys hear what's being said in the media - and are not affected by it.   It's evident in many players Twitter accounts.

They are people like everyone else, with feelings and emotions.  

39 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think Zach was an interesting case - for some reason he ended up being treated more like political candidate with strong passions on both sides - rather than a kid from Utah that was drafted to play football.

Like politics I suspect social media played a big role in division.

A lot of New Yorkers like to think of themselves as "sophisticated" and think that a kid from Utah can't hack it here.  "He doesn't have the right background".  "He doesn't have the right look."  Etc.

Meanwhile, ZW has shown incredible resilience.  He's taken crap from Joe Namath, Laveranues Coles, Rodney Harrison, some announcers, and almost every sports radio host (both pro and amateur).  They mock him.  They mock his mother.  They mock his family.

It's quite a great story how tough ZW actually is.  It would be incredible if he overcame all of this and succeeded in NY after all.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

If you say so Frank, keep in mind I'm just one of that 99% of the nitwits on this board you like to talk about.  Why are you wasting your time of a dumbass like me, eh?  

F'ng yawn warfish. I have been trying to have intelligent football discussion with you and your posse for the entire season, and nobody was the least bit interested. Instead, all I got was, 32, 32, 32, 32, oh, everyones fault but Zach, worst bust of all time, sucks, sucks sucks, blah blah blah.

Ive maintained from day 1 this year 2 things, 1st was that this offense had a ton of problems including but way beyond the QB, 2nd, that it was crystal clear that the coaching staff was playing not to lose, and coaching ZW to not throw any interceptions, and that it would be hard for any QB, particularly a young QB, to play well under those circumstances. Never did I say he was good, but I did say we have a problem at the coaching staff level as much as we do the QB level. You can't play football not to lose, it does not work. 

And nobody wanted to F'ng hear a word of it, I got from you, oh, so its everyones fault BUT Zachs.

I watched the board get trolled with stupidity non stop, and still happens non stop, ignoring all the other non zach problems.

We were told that once Zach was out as starting QB, we woudl see how good the offense actually was, and it was only ZW holding it back.

How'd that owrk out, the offense got worse with Boyle and Siminem who I was told were both professional QB 's and would move the offense.We got the great Bright new day posts about how good Jets were going to be sans ZW.

I played and coached football for over 30 years of my life, so I know what I am looking at.

I expect ZW to fall way back to earth next week against the dolphins, and you can all resume your weekly circle jerks, and in the meantime feel free to block me if you don't like what I say, and when I don't like what you say, I will be sure to reply to your posts, all for the sake of trying to have inteligent football discussion, which you have zero interest in when it comes to ZW

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I think it's funny you don't think these guys hear what's being said in the media - and are not affected by it.   It's evident in many players Twitter accounts.

They are people like everyone else, with feelings and emotions.  

I think the problem has been way less Jets fans and media, and way more the coaching staff instructing him no interceptions at all costs.

He was holding the ball forever and not throwing unless it was wide open, it undermined his vision and his confidence. You cannot play football that way.

That was what the whole reluctance was about, not playing, it was about playing not to lose

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

If you can't see that it affects Zach then you haven't been paying attention.  Zach is clearly a confidence player and when he gets in his own head he folds.  He clearly let the fans and media get to him.

Zach is a motivation player. He plays the best when he has more than just 'winning the game' to play for. He plays the best when he is playing for his job. We saw this in college, when his job as starter was in question and he lit up the college world. We saw this again against the Chiefs when everybody seemed to be finished with him. And then we just saw him again play well in one last chance for a job, be it on the Jets or a different team. He's auditioning for his career.

That's why giving him the starting job and subsequently the backup job behind Rodgers was a terrible move. The more Zach was coddled, the less motivation he had to focus. And thus, the product was what we saw.

3 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

The last 6 QBs could not hit some of the throws that Wilson can given the opportunity.  I hope he has a big game against Miami next week just to see the board lose its mind.

Darnold had multiple 300+ yard, 2+ TD games in his short career with the Jets playing with absolute garbage at WR.... perfromances that Zach Wilson only dreams of having.

And they sh*tcanned him after year 3. 

You Wilson Weirdos are on drugs.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Zach can't stay.  The media and fan base just don't want him here - and, for better or worse, it's clear it gets to him and affects his play.   He needs to go somewhere else and start over.

He shouldn't have been brought back this year.

Unbelievable.  The media and fan base want him gone so...out he goes? Really?

He's a more than capable backup in the NFL, which typically costs $4-5 mill/yr.  His cap hit if let go is still $11 mill. So let's cut his ass and make the cap hit even worse....$4-5 million in cap space can pay for one more spare parts that the Jets truly need....like a good spare OT/OG.  Or $ to put to a capable WR2 which we really need.

A GM in the NFL makes decisions in 'context', which includes cap considerations....but not media or fan base feelings.

One thing that also can’t be underestimated is the fact that the pressure was completely off not only for ZW but the entire team.

ZW played one of his best games against KC when the entire fanbase was against him and the entire nation fully expected a 45-3 type Chiefs beat down. 

In games where the season was still hanging in the balance last year down the stretch, Wilson imploded.

Didn’t seem like the Texans blitzed much today.

Sat back in a soft zone and played coverage (poorly).

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

If you are that lost and can't see the game is beyond Zach, lol that's on you... 

you don't perform at Jamarcus Russel level for 32 games and then.... boom... Texans D isn't good and a lot of short passes with YAC and the only constant.... the D was here.

Zach had a mediocre game for any QB, but for Zach it was a good game because he is garbage.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Stark said:

If you are that lost and can't see the game is beyond Zach, lol that's on you... 

you don't perform at Jamarcus Russel level for 32 games and then.... boom... Texans D isn't good and a lot of short passes with YAC and the only constant.... the D was here.

Zach had a mediocre game for any QB, but for Zach it was a good game because he is garbage.

Korean Drama Crying GIF by Netflix K-Content

Just now, Jet_Engine1 said:

"I can't refute facts, so I'll post a meme". Solid. You are a valuable member of this community.

oh sorry, let me start adding some real value, ZW f'ng sucks, worst f'ng qb of all time, biggest bust of all time, f'ng sucks, 32, 32, 32, 32, this offense would be elite with any living breathing QB with an arm not named ZW, hes the only problem. AMIADDINGTHEVALUEZNOW?