Poss. Pick Now That We're in the 9th or Higher Spot (OT JC Latham)

Warfish

JC Latham

OT Alabama

Height: 6 - 6 | Weight: 305 | RAS: N/A

JC Latham is a mountain on the right side of the Alabama offensive line. He is the modernization of the mauling right tackle we all know and love. Aside from his imposing frame and mauling style as a downhill run blocker, he possesses feet that rival many of the uber-athletic left tackles we've seen come through the college ranks recently. With a strong season for the Crimson Tide, Latham could end up battling for the top tackle drafted. - Dalton Miller, 8/22/2023

JC Latham Draft Profile | Alabama, OT Scouting Report

Story by Ian Cummings  • 2d

It’s no secret that the 2024 NFL Draft offensive tackle class is loaded, but where does the scouting report of Alabama’s JC Latham land him within this group? Latham has a lot of quality talent to contend with, but he might be one of the most imposing players among the ranks.

JC Latham Draft Profile and Measurements

• Height: 6’6″
  • Weight: 360 pounds
  • Position: Offensive Tackle
  • School: Alabama
  • Current Year: Junior

Some prospects have winding and unpredictable paths to the NFL Draft circuit. Latham is not one of those prospects.

Latham was a five-star recruit and the top tackle in the 2021 class. He was a full-time starter at right tackle by his true sophomore season. And after the 2023 campaign, he earned first-team All-SEC honors.

Right on schedule, Latham is eligible for the 2024 NFL Draft. And as many expected, he’s in line to be not just a first-round pick but an early first-round pick.

At just 21 years old, Latham has the pedigree and the production against SEC competition. As his report details, his profile is just as impactful at the professional level.

Latham’s Scouting Report

Strengths

• Massive specimen with a rare mix of overarching frame density, length, and width.
  • Explodes off the snap with violent energy, surging into contact with powerful lower half.
  • Boasts elite explosive capacity, as well as swift lateral mobility and high-energy motion.
  • Possesses elite power capacity, plowing defenders out of the frame as a run blocker.
  • Can use his length and mass to supplement power through applied torque and rotation.
  • Has a dominating anchor once he latches onto rushers, stalling out power with his base.
  • Has very natural knee bend and leverage acquisition in pass protection for his size.
  • Patient, disciplined, and synergetic pass protector with an excellent sense of timing.
  • Plays with a steady center of gravity and consistently aligns his base effectively.
  • Has enough hip flexibility to swivel around in recovery and envelop with his frame.
  • Pass sets are incredibly clean and consistent, quick and controlled with footwork tempo.
  • Knows how to modulate his footwork and angle his base to seal off rushing paths.
  • Re-loads and re-exerts with lashing quickness, carrying damaging knockback in hands.
  • Alert blocker with great angle IQ, stunt awareness, and reaction speed to counters.
  • With aggressive, adversarial mentality, exudes hostility toward defenders through reps.

Weaknesses

• Can be a bit lumbering at times when opening his strides moving in space.
  • Can’t always fully rotate and flip his hips to seal out second-level defenders in space.
  • Occasionally over-extends and lurches beyond his center of gravity attacking upfield.
  • Doesn’t always bring his feet with him on run blocks, which can also cause him to lurch.
  • Can be baited into setting too far vertically and opening his torso to opposing power.
  • Sometimes drifts too far vertically with his set angle, allowing lanes for inside counters.
  • Can be worked off-balance by rushers who tug at his anchor and stress laterally.
  • Sometimes bearhugs opponents when forced to recover, creating penalty risk.
  • Motor occasionally fades out in space at the second level.

Current Draft Projection and Summary

Latham grades out as a blue-chip prospect and a top-10 talent in the 2024 NFL Draft class. He’s worth early first-round capital, and especially for teams in need of a natural right tackle with dual-sided pass and run-blocking appeal, he makes a lot of sense.

As crazy as it may seem, Latham could still be the third-best OT in the 2024 class, even with his blue-chip grade. Notre Dame’s Joe Alt and Penn State’s Olu Fashanu are just as good — but Latham provides a unique kind of upside with his elite explosiveness, power, and road-grading ability in the run game.

There isn’t a tackle in the stacked 2024 class who can generate the kind of push and displacement that Latham can, both with his power drive and his rotational torque. Not only is Latham extremely explosive and forceful, but he’s also incredibly well-leveraged. For a 6’6″ blocker, he’s extremely natural at reaching the proper pad level and loading his base.

Latham moves people on the ground — plain and simple. And while that’s where most of his highlight reps rest, he’s also a very good pass protector. Balance against counters can be an issue at times, but overall, he’s a smooth, patient, and disciplined blocker with suffocating grip strength once he anchors.

As if all this isn’t enough, Latham’s tone-setting mentality seals the deal. He’s a high-energy competitor who exudes physicality off the snap and will finish defenders into the turf if they give up leverage or lose balance — rag-dolling opponents into submission with his elite power.

The bottom line is this: Latham has the talent, mentality, technical competence, natural feel for leverage, and dominating two-phase ability to be an impact starter early in his career, and he has Pro Bowl and All-Pro upside at his peak.

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

JC Latham

OT Alabama

Height: 6 - 6 | 305 | RAS: N/A

JC Latham is a mountain on the right side of the Alabama offensive line. He is the modernization of the mauling right tackle we all know and love. Aside from his imposing frame and mauling style as a downhill run blocker, he possesses feet that rival many of the uber-athletic left tackles we've seen come through the college ranks recently. With a strong season for the Crimson Tide, Latham could end up battling for the top tackle drafted. - Dalton Miller, 8/22/2023

JC Latham Draft Profile | Alabama, OT Scouting Report

Story by Ian Cummings  • 2d

It’s no secret that the 2024 NFL Draft offensive tackle class is loaded, but where does the scouting report of Alabama’s JC Latham land him within this group? Latham has a lot of quality talent to contend with, but he might be one of the most imposing players among the ranks.

JC Latham Draft Profile and Measurements

• Height: 6’6″
  • Weight: 360 pounds
  • Position: Offensive Tackle
  • School: Alabama
  • Current Year: Junior

Some prospects have winding and unpredictable paths to the NFL Draft circuit. Latham is not one of those prospects.

Latham was a five-star recruit and the top tackle in the 2021 class. He was a full-time starter at right tackle by his true sophomore season. And after the 2023 campaign, he earned first-team All-SEC honors.

Right on schedule, Latham is eligible for the 2024 NFL Draft. And as many expected, he’s in line to be not just a first-round pick but an early first-round pick.

At just 21 years old, Latham has the pedigree and the production against SEC competition. As his report details, his profile is just as impactful at the professional level.

Latham’s Scouting Report

Strengths

• Massive specimen with a rare mix of overarching frame density, length, and width.
  • Explodes off the snap with violent energy, surging into contact with powerful lower half.
  • Boasts elite explosive capacity, as well as swift lateral mobility and high-energy motion.
  • Possesses elite power capacity, plowing defenders out of the frame as a run blocker.
  • Can use his length and mass to supplement power through applied torque and rotation.
  • Has a dominating anchor once he latches onto rushers, stalling out power with his base.
  • Has very natural knee bend and leverage acquisition in pass protection for his size.
  • Patient, disciplined, and synergetic pass protector with an excellent sense of timing.
  • Plays with a steady center of gravity and consistently aligns his base effectively.
  • Has enough hip flexibility to swivel around in recovery and envelop with his frame.
  • Pass sets are incredibly clean and consistent, quick and controlled with footwork tempo.
  • Knows how to modulate his footwork and angle his base to seal off rushing paths.
  • Re-loads and re-exerts with lashing quickness, carrying damaging knockback in hands.
  • Alert blocker with great angle IQ, stunt awareness, and reaction speed to counters.
  • With aggressive, adversarial mentality, exudes hostility toward defenders through reps.

Weaknesses

• Can be a bit lumbering at times when opening his strides moving in space.
  • Can’t always fully rotate and flip his hips to seal out second-level defenders in space.
  • Occasionally over-extends and lurches beyond his center of gravity attacking upfield.
  • Doesn’t always bring his feet with him on run blocks, which can also cause him to lurch.
  • Can be baited into setting too far vertically and opening his torso to opposing power.
  • Sometimes drifts too far vertically with his set angle, allowing lanes for inside counters.
  • Can be worked off-balance by rushers who tug at his anchor and stress laterally.
  • Sometimes bearhugs opponents when forced to recover, creating penalty risk.
  • Motor occasionally fades out in space at the second level.

Current Draft Projection and Summary

Latham grades out as a blue-chip prospect and a top-10 talent in the 2024 NFL Draft class. He’s worth early first-round capital, and especially for teams in need of a natural right tackle with dual-sided pass and run-blocking appeal, he makes a lot of sense.

As crazy as it may seem, Latham could still be the third-best OT in the 2024 class, even with his blue-chip grade. Notre Dame’s Joe Alt and Penn State’s Olu Fashanu are just as good — but Latham provides a unique kind of upside with his elite explosiveness, power, and road-grading ability in the run game.

There isn’t a tackle in the stacked 2024 class who can generate the kind of push and displacement that Latham can, both with his power drive and his rotational torque. Not only is Latham extremely explosive and forceful, but he’s also incredibly well-leveraged. For a 6’6″ blocker, he’s extremely natural at reaching the proper pad level and loading his base.

Latham moves people on the ground — plain and simple. And while that’s where most of his highlight reps rest, he’s also a very good pass protector. Balance against counters can be an issue at times, but overall, he’s a smooth, patient, and disciplined blocker with suffocating grip strength once he anchors.

As if all this isn’t enough, Latham’s tone-setting mentality seals the deal. He’s a high-energy competitor who exudes physicality off the snap and will finish defenders into the turf if they give up leverage or lose balance — rag-dolling opponents into submission with his elite power.

The bottom line is this: Latham has the talent, mentality, technical competence, natural feel for leverage, and dominating two-phase ability to be an impact starter early in his career, and he has Pro Bowl and All-Pro upside at his peak.

does he weight 305 or 360? cause one is too light and one is too heavy for a Tackle imo

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Same Old Jets said:

It's impossible for the Jets to pick this high with Zach Wilson's upcoming stellar performances moving forward.  

The Jets will finish at 8-9 this year. 

wow .. i cant believe you gave the incredible Zach a loss in these last 4 games.. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

We don't need another Becton at tackle. 360 is to heavy. We need someone the likes of Brick only now in the 320 range. Alt or Fashanu.

Both will be long gone by the time we pick, after yesterday's victory.

Time to start looking at other options.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Both will be long gone by the time we pick, after yesterday's victory.

Time to start looking at other options.

Its the beginning of December, things will change. 

Plus there are roughly 6 tackles that could go in the 1st round:  Mims, Fuaga, Barton, Latham, Alt, and Fashanu.

18 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Its the beginning of December, things will change. 

Plus there are roughly 6 tackles that could go in the 1st round:  Mims, Fuaga, Barton, Latham, Alt, and Fashanu.

Indeed, but most likely for the worse (pick # wise) not the better.

We have entirely winnable games against the 'Ders and Pats still to come.

Hell, we could end up picking in the mid-teens, where all the top OT's are long gone.

45 minutes ago, JagsFanJif said:

Unfortunately, there is no zest to the draft now that the QB's and HOF WR are out of play.  

I guess this might put us in the Bowers range which would still be zesty for some but send others out their window.

Our 1st round pick will almost definitely the best OL available, IMO

• Upvote 1

If the top 5 are gone I am taking Nabers. I'll def consider the other two tackles (Fuaga and Latham) but Nabers would be my pick.

I'd stick him right in the starting lineup as a big slot and let Rodgers operate with GW and Lazard on the outside. Full court press on Jonah Williams, give him all the moneys, draft Guyton in the 3rd. Ef it trade up for Guyton. That guy is a great prospect, probably a plug and play RT, and he will slide right out of Rd. 1 but may not make it to Rd. 3.

23 hours ago, JagsFanJif said:

Unfortunately, there is no zest to the draft now that the QB's and HOF WR are out of play.  

I guess this might put us in the Bowers range which would still be zesty for some but send others out their window.

There are still elite #1 WRs to be had even if we're picking near 10.  Nabers would be WR1 in most drafts outside of this one and he could slip that far.  Otherwise you got the big boys Odunze and Coleman who should both be available around that spot.  

I think my board for the Jets would be:

1) Caleb, QB

2) Maye, QB

3) MHJ, WR

4) Alt, LT

5) Fashanu, LT

6) Nabers, WR

7) Bowers, TE

8 ) Coleman, WR

9) Odunze, WR

10) Newton, DT

My preference are the QBs and MHJ.  After that it's elite LT.  If we miss out on those two guys though, I'd value any of the above weapons and even Johnny Newton over the top RT prospects.  I'd probably look to trade down and recoup a 2nd before I just take a guy like Latham or Fuaga in the top-10.

40 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

There are still elite #1 WRs to be had even if we're picking near 10.  Nabers would be WR1 in most drafts outside of this one and he could slip that far.  Otherwise you got the big boys Odunze and Coleman who should both be available around that spot.  

I think my board for the Jets would be:

1) Caleb, QB

2) Maye, QB

3) MHJ, WR

4) Alt, LT

5) Fashanu, LT

6) Nabers, WR

7) Bowers, TE

8 ) Coleman, WR

9) Odunze, WR

10) Newton, DT

My preference are the QBs and MHJ.  After that it's elite LT.  If we miss out on those two guys though, I'd value any of the above weapons and even Johnny Newton over the top RT prospects.  I'd probably look to trade down and recoup a 2nd before I just take a guy like Latham or Fuaga in the top-10.

The only top end QB I'd touch in this draft is Jayden Daniels.  I'm a hard pass on Drake and Williams.  I'd rather a couple of mid rounders that are attractive (Travis, Pratt, Rattle, Mitlon, etc).  

My wish is MHJ or Bowers at this point.  I think they're both future HOF players and elite play makers the Jets desperately need.   Then I'd move to the T's, those other WR's do nothing for me., I'd rather them pursue a legit vet in the offseason. 

11 hours ago, JagsFanJif said:

The only top end QB I'd touch in this draft is Jayden Daniels.  I'm a hard pass on Drake and Williams.  I'd rather a couple of mid rounders that are attractive (Travis, Pratt, Rattle, Mitlon, etc).  

My wish is MHJ or Bowers at this point.  I think they're both future HOF players and elite play makers the Jets desperately need.   Then I'd move to the T's, those other WR's do nothing for me., I'd rather them pursue a legit vet in the offseason. 

Nabers is 100% elite.  He doesn't  have the sky high floor of Marvin Harrison but he absolutely has the potential to be a JJ type.  I'd agree on Coleman and Odunze since I'm not completely sold on either panning out but they both have massive upside.  

Overall though I agree with the strategy.  There are a bunch of high end veteran WRs that will be available.  The smart play would be draft a LT or a QB and address WR through free agency.  Personally though I think Daniels will also be gone though before we pick.  I think Caleb and Maye go top-3 and then a team like the Raiders or Giants look to move up for Daniels around 5 or 6.  If we miss out on the QBs and the LTs though I would 100% prefer Nabers or Bowers over the RTs.

• Upvote 1

On 12/11/2023 at 12:46 PM, Warfish said:

Indeed, but most likely for the worse (pick # wise) not the better.

We have entirely winnable games against the 'Ders and Pats still to come.

Hell, we could end up picking in the mid-teens, where all the top OT's are long gone.

They won’t be long gone.  The first round has lots of good players and wrs/des/qbs are going.  If the jets want OL they can go OL and get a good one at 15.  

7 hours ago, bonkertons said:

Nabers is 100% elite.  He doesn't  have the sky high floor of Marvin Harrison but he absolutely has the potential to be a JJ type.  I'd agree on Coleman and Odunze since I'm not completely sold on either panning out but they both have massive upside.  

Overall though I agree with the strategy.  There are a bunch of high end veteran WRs that will be available.  The smart play would be draft a LT or a QB and address WR through free agency.  Personally though I think Daniels will also be gone though before we pick.  I think Caleb and Maye go top-3 and then a team like the Raiders or Giants look to move up for Daniels around 5 or 6.  If we miss out on the QBs and the LTs though I would 100% prefer Nabers or Bowers over the RTs.

Agreed it’s easier to find a decent wr in fa than an OT.  Don’t rule out RT in round 1 either.  A good tackle is worth a lot.