9-8: 7th Seed - Playoffs?

Jigsaw89

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

Here's an article about the 2009 Jets who as RR said a few weeks earlier had no chance to make the playoffs. Yet they did even though they finished at 9-7. https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/12/12/can-jets-repeat-magic-2009/amp/

If the Jets were in the NFC I would say maybe there's a chance. The AFC has 11 winning teams right now. If the Jets beat the Falcons maybe I would give them a shot. This isn't 2009. 

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

Here's an article about the 2009 Jets who as RR said a few weeks earlier had no chance to make the playoffs. Yet they did even though they finished at 9-7. https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/12/12/can-jets-repeat-magic-2009/amp/

Forgot about what turned out to be Saleh's empty quote after the Buffalo loss last year... 

It took some juggling but I got us in this year by us first winning out..

Very unlikely but at least we're not dead yet! LOL

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

On 12/11/2023 at 3:35 PM, Adoni Beast said:

If we beat Atlanta like we should have, then there would be a shot.

If we beat Vegas and Atlanta like we should have, then we would be looking good.

If we beat New England, Vegas, and Atlanta like we should have, then we would be talking division lead this week.

We have no one to blame but ourselves....and by ourselves I mean Robert Saleh.

Next year…..that is all.

One article I just read had our chances (after defeating the Texans) at 0.4%

Not 0.0%

After going thru this game and that game, the article has our best chance at making the POs is supplanting Buffalo as the 7th seed. A whole lot of other wins/losses have to happen here and there, but we want Buffalo's spot!!!

We're not a 'win and we're in' scenario. We're a 'win and maybe in' scenario.

Just win baby!

16 hours ago, FootballLove said:

One article I just read had our chances (after defeating the Texans) at 0.4%

Not 0.0%

After going thru this game and that game, the article has our best chance at making the POs is supplanting Buffalo as the 7th seed. A whole lot of other wins/losses have to happen here and there, but we want Buffalo's spot!!!

We're not a 'win and we're in' scenario. We're a 'win and maybe in' scenario.

Just win baby!

I think in reality the odds are higher than 0.4%. I believe they calculate that with the formula that every game is a 50/50 chance. In actuality, games like LV visiting kc , struggling pit visiting Baltimore aren’t 50/50. The toughest and unlikeliest part will be the Jets getting to 9-8, which if they beat Miami I believe the path is there. I picked the other games with no bias and the Jets get in at 9-8.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, ChrebetOverKeyshawn said:

I think in reality the odds are higher than 0.4%. I believe they calculate that with the formula that every game is a 50/50 chance. In actuality, games like LV visiting kc , struggling pit visiting Baltimore aren’t 50/50. The toughest and unlikeliest part will be the Jets getting to 9-8, which if they beat Miami I believe the path is there. I picked the other games with no bias and the Jets get in at 9-8.

I mean, I think the odds are better than 0.4% if you get to 9-8. The odds are factoring in that the Jets almost certainly have no chance to win four straight games.

• Upvote 3

If Zach sh!t the bed against the Texans we wouldn't be having this conversation. The win plus Zach playing great makes this Miami game relevant for the ultra slim chance of a wildcard seed. It also makes it relevant for the team psyche as I heard a few players parrot the message that they are playing for momentum for next season. 

All in all I'm looking forward, with no expectations, to see how this plays out...

3 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I mean, I think the odds are better than 0.4% if you get to 9-8. The odds are factoring in that the Jets almost certainly have no chance to win four straight games.

Right. 

To me, the odds of the Jets winning 4 straight games, including wins @Miami, @Cleveland, and @ NE (still a very good defense) with this offense seem almost impossibly low. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

I will only begin entertaining the idea of playoff hope if the Jets beat Miami on Sunday and not a moment before.

exactly.  it's unfortunate that they lost to a couple of easier teams (raiders etc).  we would be in a different discussion at this point.

if we beat miami then we can start thinking about playoffs.

36 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Right. 

To me, the odds of the Jets winning 4 straight games, including wins @Miami, @Cleveland, and @ NE (still a very good defense) with this offense seem almost impossibly low. 

Exactly. I'd love for Zach having a QB Rating over 100 to be the new normal but odds are last week was a total aberration and we lose by three touchdowns this weekend.

• Upvote 1

in the event we win out (ha!).  i think the teams we most need to worry about are the Bills and Broncos.

I think Browns, Jags, Colts all make it.

I think Texans,  Bengals, Steelers all going to fade.

So basically 1 spot for Bills, Broncos.  We need them to lose twice each i think.  Bills I can see them losing to Cowboys and Dolphins.

Not sure I see two losses from the Broncos.