Saleh: "If he attacks the offseason in the way Jermaine attacked his offseason, Will McDonald is gonna be a superstar in this league"

slimjasi

22 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

This is my take, as well. 

Listen, I actually liked (and defended) the McDonald pick and I also think JJ is a very good player who should be a Jet for a long time. 

my issue is that this was a dumb thing for Saleh to say. There's no good reason to say anything like this. Just say that you like Will McDonald and you think he has a chance to develop into a good player if he keeps working hard and improving. Simple. No reason to throw the word "superstar" out there. It's just not necessary and puts undue pressure on him. 

IF he can't take the pressure get out of the ******* kitchen. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

I think you’re unaware of how a press conference works. So during press conferences, coaches stand up and answer questions asked by reporters. It happens several times in a week over the course of the season. Check it out sometime. 

FYI - the question Saleh responded to was: "Robert, Ulbrich said yesterday that Will McDonald might see a little bit more snaps down the stretch - What kind of development opportunity is that for him?"

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I just hate that the coach said this publicly.

He's challenging iv in public and coaching him up 

Just like he did with JJ 

Saleh can't help on offense but he builds a good defense and that system relies on front four pressure with little blitzing 

The blitz can get you very far but eventually you run up against a player who can beat your blitz and the key is have organic pressure, especially from the inside 

It's the story of the giants pats super bowl 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

McDonald is a nice prospect, but not the guy we needed to draft on a 100% win now team.

Good point. However in ‘24 if Rodgers’ Jets offense scores early leading to significant margins - Jets pass rush can make its impact felt as opponents feel pressure to throw. So if WMD improves as Saleh hopes he’ll be an asset. Of course many of us aren’t holding our breath about the Jets offense doing anything next year nor ever under Saleh. 

45 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Hmmm…I don’t think I’ve ever heard saleh say that about an offensive player.  Why is that?

43 minutes ago, greasyt said:

Saleh is such a cheerleader. Positive Vibes Only man!!!  Can you imagine Parcells, John Harbaugh, Kye Shanahan, etc giving this sort of unearned praise to a player?  They would respond to the effect of "He is going to have to work as hard, if not harder, than any player in this league to even have a chance of being a contributor to our team".....................................our clown of a coach has him in the hall of fame already.  Saleh's schtick is becoming increasingly cringe-worthy.  Everyone knows he can't get it done.  It sucks knowing he will be back next year.

Defensive Vibes Only!

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

A HC trying to be positive and encouraging. Of course he will get abused. If only McDonald were a journeyman QB like DeVito and Dobbs.

LMAO.  I wonder if Dobbs is desperately trying to market himself off-the-field like Cutlets is.  I guess Dobbs is a genius off the field (rocket scientist or something like that) so he doesn't have to.

22 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Oh jeez, it's a good thing he's our head coach then!!!!!

He's responsible for both sides of the ball. 

Yeah I’m sure McVay is really coaching up their dline. Stop finding anything to complain about. He’s seen what JJ did during the off-season. He thinks he can do it too. Who cares if he said superstar, only jet fans take the tiniest thing and run with it like the worlds ending. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Yeah I’m sure McVay is really coaching up their dline. Stop finding anything to complain about. He’s seen what JJ did during the off-season. He thinks he can do it too. Who cares if he said superstar, only jet fans take the tiniest thing and run with it like the worlds ending. 

Like clockwork. Every single time

4 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Yeah I’m sure McVay is really coaching up their dline. 

That's not the point. The point is that the head coach is responsible for the entire team. McVay isn't expected to coach the defensive line himself, but he's expected to hire someone who does and does it well. And he's done well enough at that, considering he's 75-48 with a SB win.

Meanwhile, Saleh has the lowest winning percentage of any jets coach in history that has lasted at least 3 years. And his offense looks consistently unprepared and non-competitive. 

7 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Stop finding anything to complain about. 

NO! This coaching staff sucks. If you don't like it, don't read it. 

9 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Who cares if he said superstar, only jet fans take the tiniest thing and run with it like the worlds ending. 

I do. Details matter. What you say matters. I'm a fan of the saying "everything is something and nothing is everything."

When Saleh was hired, all we heard was that he was going to be the prototypical "CEO" coach that specialized in defense but would be knowledgeable and detail-oriented enough to have a positive impact on every aspect of the team. We also heard that we were getting everything good about Rex (top defensive coach, great motivator, beloved players coach) without any of the bad (loosy goosy atmosphere, leaks galore, no accountability, cartoonish boasting, etc.,). 

Well, so far, this guy is Rex without the two playoff runs. Not great, Bob. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

That's not the point. The point is that the head coach is responsible for the entire team. McVay isn't expected to coach the defensive line himself, but he's expected to hire someone who does and does it well. And he's done well enough at that, considering he's 75-48 with a SB win.

Meanwhile, Saleh has the lowest winning percentage of any jets coach in history that has lasted at least 3 years. And his offense looks consistently unprepared and non-competitive. 

NO! This coaching staff sucks. If you don't like it, don't read it. 

I do. Details matter. What you say matters. I'm a fan of the saying "everything is something and nothing is everything."

When Saleh was hired, all we heard was that he was going to be the prototypical "CEO" coach that specialized in defense but would be knowledgeable and detail-oriented enough to have a positive impact on every aspect of the team. We also heard that we were getting everything good about Rex (top defensive coach, great motivator, beloved players coach) without any of the bad (loosy goosy atmosphere, leaks galore, no accountability, cartoonish boasting, etc.,). 

Well, so far, this guy is Rex without the two playoff runs. Not great, Bob. 

So you think he should have done better with Zach Wilson?

Or we could wait until the good QB actually plays and see how it works out. 

Or are we just mad he’s not a winning HC with Wilson, Simiene and Boyle?

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

LMAO.  I wonder if Dobbs is desperately trying to market himself off-the-field like Cutlets is.  I guess Dobbs is a genius off the field (rocket scientist or something like that) so he doesn't have to.

It’s absolutely killing you that after 4 games DeVito is already better than Zach isn’t it?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

B I N G O !!! I tell my managers all the time as, "it may not be your job to get it done, but it is your job to make sure it gets done. Hire the right people who can do the things you can't"

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Does Saleh think Johnson is a superstar? If so, lol.

When did he say this?

Johnson must have put in a lot of work in the offseason, because as of last season (ok, up until Breece's knee injury) the consensus was, "Oh well, at least 3 of those top 4 picks panned out," with JJII being the odd man out of that group. 

He's got 8 sacks in his 2nd season, with a few games still left to play, and might've been 9 if Donovan Smith wasn't allowed to grab & pull on him for a couple seconds in front of the zebra's face. Even late in the season, this time last year, plenty felt his upside was as a meh starter who wouldn't get to the QB. It's a dramatic improvement.

Then again, maybe he'd have started to show a bit more last year - and a lot less this year - if Saleh didn't have a nonsexual crush on Carl Lawson. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

So you think he should have done better with Zach Wilson?

He's not a winning coach without Wilson, either. He's 3-11 When Zach doesn't play. 

Either way, we are going to see this guy with Rodgers next year, so good luck to him. 

IMO, there are a lot of red flags/really bad trends pertaining to this head coach and we'd be better off longterm dumping him now. 

2 hours ago, Jigsaw89 said:

AKA Bryce Huff will not be resigned. 

Lawson is done. Huff wants to test free agency and is as good as gone. Both are on the last year of their contracts.

McDonald is and always was a need. It's as clear as day for anyone with some foresight.

Edge rusher is a premium position, and the Jets have a clear need for someone opposite JJ beginning in 2024. I had no problem taking one in the first round. They just need the pick to be a hit rather than a miss. Jury is still out.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

McDonald is a nice prospect, but not the guy we needed to draft on a 100% win now team.

Just as well, considering it ceased to be a 100% win now team a minute into game 1.

Never mind any receiver drafted would've probably seemed like a bust with Wilson (and Boyle and Siemian) at QB with 240 yards and 0-1 TDs as a rookie. 

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

Uh, he picked tipp in the second round and Warren in the fourth.  Maybe there was a better oline player where they picked Macdonald but don’t forget he’s relying on saleh to tell him where the real needs are.  In hindsight maybe a wr should’ve been pick instead of Macdonald.  They didn’t know at the time Davis was bugging out.

If JD the OL guru is that blind. He needs to be fired today. What you just said is the most pathetic excuse for a gm in NFL history 🤣

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, section314 said:

I think he’s saying that McDonald has way more talent and ability and if he works as hard as Johnson then the sky is the limit.

If I drafted a #1 pick that was effectively a non-contributor, I’d make sure the company line was all about his future too. There are no actual results to trumpet yet.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

When did he say this?

He implied it in his comparison. With that said, I asked if he thought that. Question, not a statement.

He's got 8 sacks in his 2nd season, with a few games still left to play, and might've been 9 if Donovan Smith wasn't allowed to grab & pull on him for a couple seconds in front of the zebra's face. Even late in the season, this time last year, plenty felt his upside was as a meh starter who wouldn't get to the QB. It's a dramatic improvement.

He has 6.5 sacks this year, not 8.

Good for 37th in the NFL.

Then again, maybe he'd have started to show a bit more last year - and a lot less this year - if Saleh didn't have a nonsexual crush on Carl Lawson. 

lol. 

It says something that an UDFA in Huff is better than both our #1 picks combined. So far.

• Upvote 1