Personal opinions about them aside…

Green Ghost

Does it make sense financially and/or perception wise to get rid of Zach and Becton this offseason?

I know most of us think both will be gone, but I think we’re being unrealistic thinking JD will jettison his first two 1st round picks in the same offseason. I just don’t see that happening.

Don’t shoot the messenger please, just give me your thoughts! 😂

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Becton is a FA and will ask for more than he is worth so he is gone unless JD is a worse GM than I think.  

Zack gets paid whether he is here or not so baring a trading partner he's here. 

Next random thought question?  

you’ve been saving that “random thought” remark for a while, huh? 😂 Well played my friend!

• Haha 1

It will be interesting to see the type of offers Vecton gets this offseason. I’d be surprised if he breaks the bank.

I’m not a fan of his, but if we can bring him back on a short term reasonable deal it might be worth a shot. He wasn’t very good this year, but after two missed seasons he stayed healthy. (I realize that’s a low bar, but it’s a big deal for our OL)

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Becton's contract is up.  Let him leave and maybe get a comp pic back.

Zach, if you get a mid to late round pick and lose that salary, just do it 

This has seemed to be the board consensus all year.
I agreed for the longest time, but the more I think about it, I just can’t imagine JD giving up both guys he picked first in the draft in one offseason.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Will Becton gain weight post extension? If so...

He was a better player as an overweight rookie than a supposedly in shape 4 year vet.

Either way, I think he is gone.  Contract is up.  No reason to re-sign him after the way he played this year.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

This has seemed to be the board consensus all year.
I agreed for the longest time, but the more I think about it, I just can’t imagine JD giving up both guys he picked first in the draft in one offseason.

Then it's pride, and poor club management 

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Does it make sense financially and/or perception wise to get rid of Zach and Becton this offseason?

I know most of us think both will be gone, but I think we’re being unrealistic thinking JD will jettison his first two 1st round picks in the same offseason. I just don’t see that happening.

There’s a much better chance Becton is back. I can’t see how he can sell to the  team (and Woody) another year of insurance that Zach is the backup should Rodgers go down. 

I strongly feel they will bring in a veteran like Tyrod Taylor, Jacoby Brissett or Gardner Minshew.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

There’s a much better chance Becton is back. I can’t see how he can sell to the  team (and Woody) another year of insurance that Zach is the backup should Rodgers go down. 

I strongly feel they will bring in a veteran like Tyrod Taylor, Jacoby Brissett or Gardner Minshew.

I hate the thought of them coming back, but I’m nowhere near as certain as most here that Zach is going to be gone, and if we aren’t going to get one of the top 2 LTs in this draft, I think they’ll try to make a short term deal with Becton also.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

Becton is a bad player with a sh*t work ethic and just looking for $$. Called it prior to his draft.

Zach is essentially a Scarlett Letter/Albatross for the Jets at this point.

Both of them need to go for the health of the organization. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Larz said:
Becton is 100% gone
saleh said Zach’s future is an offseason discussion 

Well .. Zach was the best QB on the team this year... so if any of the guys are back it's him.

I can see him getting a pity trade ... Trying to latch on with KC or SF to rekindle his career. Maybe for a 3rd.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by Dunnie
  • Sympathy 2

3 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I hate the thought of them coming back, but I’m nowhere near as certain as most here that Zach is going to be gone, and if we aren’t going to get one of the top 2 LTs in this draft, I think they’ll try to make a short term deal with Becton also.

You could be correct but I can’t see how he can sell Zach to the team as a viable backup to Rodgers. Also Saleh and JD got a mulligan this season from Woody, they aren’t getting one next season, so I think they get serious about a competent backup QB.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

You could be correct but I can’t see how he can sell Zach to the team as a viable backup to Rodgers. Also Saleh and JD got a mulligan this season from Woody, they aren’t getting one next season, so I think they get serious about a competent backup QB.

I was never a believer in the “selling a move to the fan base” thing.

You’re still a STH, so you know better than me but I don’t think anybody will give their seats if Becton and Zach are back, do you?

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

I dunno what will happen with ZW but I am bout 75% sure AR will convince Benton to come back.

Just now, Green Ghost said:

I was never a believer in the “selling a move to the fan base” thing.

You’re still a STH, so you know better than me but I don’t think anybody would give their seats if Becton and Zach are back.

Not to the fanbase, I agree with you there. We are like addicts hooked on a team. 
However, I don’t think he can sell it to the team (players) or to Woody. If Rodgers goes down and Zach is the backup and they repeat this season in 2024, both Saleh and JD will be fired. They know they have to bring in a competent backup QB.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JetsFanatic said:

Not to the fanbase, I agree with you there. We are like addicts hooked on a team. 
However, I don’t think he can sell it to the team (players) or to Woody. If Rodgers goes down and Zach is the backup and they repeat this season in 2024, both Saleh and JD will be fired. They know they have to bring in a competent backup QB.

The organization doesn’t care. If Woody wants him back again he’ll be back. 

5 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

No doubt in MY mind either about that. I 100% agree with you there. 
Who knows what the people in charge are thinking though?

• Upvote 1

the Zach question is an interesting one.

Zach has a cap hit/ dead cap of 11 million dollars. so he gets that no matter if he stays or is cut its still costs us the same.

after the debackle this year there is no way you can bring him back if you cant find a trade partner. 

if Zach stays you can forget anybody else. Zach makes the most backup money in the league. next is Brissett at 8 mil. Marriota got 5 mil. no way there paying that much for a #2 and #3 QB even though there paying that much whether Zach stays or goes.

feeling aside there is no way Zach can start another game for us. he cant sink another season. its not even a point of them getting fired, its there reps that are on the line if Zach had to start a few games and he sucked and cost us the playoffs. 

Brissett, Mariota... they can cost us the playoffs, but not Zach. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I’m dying to hear @Matt39’s thoughts on Zach being back or not! 

EDIT and as I typed that, he stopped by… 😂

Bad teams getting held held hostage by a player(s) is never good. Rodgers obviously has more leverage than Wilson, but both of these guys have caused more problems/drama than they are worth. I don’t see another team in the league that Wilson would want to go to or vice versa, which is concerning. The Jets (Woody) wants him back as the backup I’m sure.