Why is Carter Warren Not starting at LT ?

Shockwave

Carter Warren played LT all of college. He seems better suited for the left side. Why are they playing him out of position at RT while it's clear Becton isn't returning/sucks?  

My frustration is on defense you put Sauce only on one side because it helps communication and improves players ability to play faster. I get it. However on Oline you do the opposite and draft Tippman at Center then they put him at Guard. AVT played all spots. Where is Max Mitchell playing? Then Carter Warren played LT in college and is built better for LT and he is played at RT. Honest question: This Oline switching positions game happened last year before Keith Carter was hired so who is this philosophy coming from? 

For the Draft There is all of this hype for drafting Fuaga at RT. Why not see if Carter Warren can start at LT for next year? Maybe he plays well enough that you give Baktiari a 1 yr deal with Warren coming in when he's hurt and Warren ready to start in 2025. 4th Rounders start all the time in the NFL. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Bit of a red flag that Warren is perpetually injured

He had a knee injury his senior season that he was still rehabbing in training camp and the start of the year. That was his only injury in college. If one injury equals perpetually I would bet that 90+ percent of the NFL players are perpetually injured.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I think the reason he isnt playing is that even this moronic coaching staff realizes that it would be huge if he could hold down RT let alone LT.

Carter struggled on Thursday but cleveland is a tough OL so hopefully he can have a solid performance against New England to build on for next year. He has to work on his athleticism and hopefully get a little better with lateral quickness but he has the frame and arm length to be a mid level starter which is a win at this point. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • More Ugh 1

34 minutes ago, Joejet said:

He had a knee injury his senior season that he was still rehabbing in training camp and the start of the year. That was his only injury in college. If one injury equals perpetually I would bet that 90+ percent of the NFL players are perpetually injured.

He just missed two weeks with a hip injury man

7. CARTER WARREN, Pittsburgh (6-5 ½, 314, no 40, 3): Sixth-year senior. After two backup seasons, he started at LT for four years. “He’s got some upside,” said one scout. “He’s made good strides in his college career. He’s worked on his body. He’s not a finished product but he’s gotten better. Great kid. He’s a pro. He wants to do well. He’ll be on a roster because tackles are too hard to come by. I don’t think he’s ready to be the swing tackle Year 1 but he's got that in his future.” Long arms (35 3/8), very small hands (9 1/8). “I was impressed,” said a second scout. “Not elite like some other guys but he’s a good player. He’s long. At the end of the day he just blocks his guy. He’s a little stiff. Not a great athlete. He’ll start.” Missed the final nine games of 2022 with meniscus damage. From Paterson, N.J.

• Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Carter Warren played LT all of college. He seems better suited for the left side. Why are they playing him out of position at RT while it's clear Becton isn't returning/sucks?  

My frustration is on defense you put Sauce only on one side because it helps communication and improves players ability to play faster. I get it. However on Oline you do the opposite and draft Tippman at Center then they put him at Guard. AVT played all spots. Where is Max Mitchell playing? Then Carter Warren played LT in college and is built better for LT and he is played at RT. Honest question: This Oline switching positions game happened last year before Keith Carter was hired so who is this philosophy coming from? 

For the Draft There is all of this hype for drafting Fuaga at RT. Why not see if Carter Warren can start at LT for next year? Maybe he plays well enough that you give Baktiari a 1 yr deal with Warren coming in when he's hurt and Warren ready to start in 2025. 4th Rounders start all the time in the NFL. 

In all honesty one game start at lt isn’t going to mean much.  But maybe putting becton on the bench (and Tomlinson) for even one game would.

11 hours ago, GreenFish said:

The coaching staff is trying to tank.

If the coaching staff was trying to tank then they are doing a good job at something at least. The problem is the coaching staff are NOT trying to tank  -  but they sure look like they are. So yeah they are not good at anything as we suspect. They suck. 

• Upvote 1