GM OR Coaching

GM OR Coaching  

92 members have voted

1. 1. What was worse over last 3/4 years GM OR Coaching

• JD and his staff were worse at their Job than coaching was
    • Saleh and his staff were worse at their job than GM was
    • They equally sucked
    • What are you talking about it wasnt their fault

Joe literally has rebuilt this team in record time and we have a loaded def and off. Literally Garret and b Hall are the best players on off we have had in basically my entire life.

Now with Rodgers. I mean you have to be smoking to blame Douglas on a owner forced off coord that sucks ass.

I mean the buck stops with him, and for all the good which there has been a lot I know at the end of the day you have to blame him but let's give it some context. Woody has basically over ruled him on hackett. 

Not sure exactly what you would have him do. Zach was better qb option. Than alternatives. Hackets sucks

Joe literally has rebuilt this team in record time and we have a loaded def and off. Literally Garret and b Hall are the best players on off we have had in basically my entire life.
Now with Rodgers. I mean you have to be smoking to blame Douglas on a owner forced off coord that sucks ass.
I mean the buck stops with him, and for all the good which there has been a lot I know at the end of the day you have to blame him but let's give it some context. Woody has basically over ruled him on hackett. 
Not sure exactly what you would have him do. Zach was better qb option. Than alternatives. Hackets sucks
So you've been following this team since the 90s ... Dig me up from my grave when I'm 90 in 35 years... Then let's discuss your perspective.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I think JD is fine.

The backup QB with Zach was fine and really really overblown.

Worst thing he did was refuse to get someone else when AR went down.

Saleh is just a really bad coach. Fine defensive coordinator but that’s it. Can’t coach the whole team and doesn’t have the pull in the league to bring in good coordinators and position coaches

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

It’s saleh.  He doesn’t know all aspects of the game.  He may know his defense but he knows nothing about offense and put all the responsibility on milfy.  Funny how milfy is an oc on a team whose hc is an offensive coach and calls the plays.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

So Joe gets credit for the good stuff and Woody gets blamed for the bad stuff?

• Sympathy 1

20 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

So Joe gets credit for the good stuff and Woody gets blamed for the bad stuff?

he get credit and blame for what he does. Not building a good line is on him, choices he makes he gets judged on. Him not sighning a good back up cause ownership wont let him, is not on him.

Joe has ton alot of great things, and his approach is done well, he runs the team well as a great GM. We are lucky to have him. Obviously 

I voted for both, but I'd say the GM prob has more responsibility for this CF of a season than the coaches.  The lack of any sort of plan for OL, backup QB, and zero WR depth is a personnel issue which falls on the GM.  There's only so much coaches can do with guys like Becton, Brown, et. al.

• Upvote 1

Record time? The Texans were in line for the top pick last year and just won their division. Dolphins, Lions, Bengals all built quicker than JD.

There is no sign that Woody wanted Hackett. None. Stop excusing bad ideas from the coach and GM for Woody

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

We have a really bad coaching staff. Many of our young offensive talent never made progress and some even regressed. We have no one on the coaching staff who is a good offensive mind or has proven to develop talent. However, we don’t know what happens in the draft process, was it JD who brought in the wrong guys?

JD, despite some misses, has at least done a decent job getting draft picks and bringing in more talent. He can’t control injuries. 

6 minutes ago, NYDreamer said:

Very curious about Eric Bienemy this coaching cycle.  I have not even heard if he is interviewing for HC jobs.  He might still be under contract as OC until someone new is hired.

Didn't Tony Romo say that Jeff Ulbrich was going to get HC offers?  I haven't heard about a single interview or association with another team.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Didn't Tony Romo say that Jeff Ulbrich was going to get HC offers?  I haven't heard about a single interview or association with another team.

While Ulbrich is most deserving.  I believe Manuel our defensive backs coach has a defensive coordinator position interview.  

Our defense got it right with Coaches who are teachers.  Our offensive staff has not:  Tomlinson forgets how to play? We are blaming Allan Lazard he didn't forget?  Mekai Becton not fully developed, Wilson not taught properly, Our offensive coordinator didn't know Breece Hall could catch.  MeCole Hardman was a weapon not used as well along with michael carter.  I bet you TJ houzmanah goes on to have a productive career again like he had with the Bengals.  Aaron is a great mind but behind him leaves a lot to be questioned.  

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

smh

With an inordinate number of proven winners and quality coaches available, this is the best time in maybe decades to be hiring a head coach.

Instead the Jets decide to "run it back" with Mr. PVO.

The Atlanta Falcons announced that they completed an interview with Jim Harbaugh for their head coaching vacancy.

Harbaugh completed his second interview of the head coaching cycle, meeting with the Falcons a day after meeting with the Chargers. The Michigan head coach has seen interest from NFL teams, winning the National Championship this year after signing with the Wolverines in 2015. In the NFL, he previously coached the 49ers from 2011-2014, leading them to a Super Bowl XLVII appearance during his time. Harbaugh is expected to continue to receive major interest during this coaching cycle, while the Falcons continue their aggressive pursuit of coaching candidates, interviewing former Patriots head coach Bill Belichick on Monday.
image.jpeg.1d8b219a889df5184b16edd67724b499.jpeg

On 1/8/2024 at 2:33 PM, JetPotato said:

Douglas hasn't been good, but he has FAR more successes on his Jets resume than Saleh does.

Saleh has accomplished absolutely nothing. Zero. Zippo. Zilch. He's ******* terrible.

I mean, I don't disagree with you, but what exactly has JD accomplished? The Jets still haven't gotten 8 wins in a season under him. If JD has accomplished something, Saleh has with that defense too.

I think a better argument is that Saleh's offense and overall game management and discipline have regressed and the Jets have failed in spite of a lot of what JD did. 

Both are culpable, but I do agree that Saleh is much worse so far. I think JD would do ok with a competent coach.

• Upvote 1

Oh, and "JD hired Saleh" is a lame argument. Woody hired JD, which means in that realm of argument it's all Woody's fault, but that doesn't take us anywhere. If someone gets fired at a corporate office job does that mean the hiring manager sucks? No. Same goes here. 

This is how I ascribe blame here:

• Woody is not an owner who is consulted occasionally.  He is in most of the meetings and involved in every decision.  He has fled to Florida, so he is limited as to how much time he can spend in NY/NJ and not get taxed.  But he is involved.
  • JD and Saleh selected his initial coaching staff.  It was not that bad on offense.  Losing Knapp hurt.  Woody made Saleh fire MLF (not helping Zipping) and Benton (DWI).  Saleh needs to get better at managing the offense, but it won't be with AR8+Hackett.
  • I think Woody slanted the board toward drafting a new QB/rookie QB rather than exercising Darnold's fifth year option.  In retrospect that was a mistake.
  • Saleh is a good defensive coach.   He and Ulbrich built a good defense.   Saleh knows nothing about offensive coaching.  A good HC needs to cover the entire game.  Saleh is not able to help or direct the offense.
  • JD's drafting was skewed downwards by the legacy scouts on the payroll that Woody likely insists remain.   So JD is not good enough to compensate for the bad scouting.  That got us Becton, ZW, Mims, and very few starters from the mid-rounds.  I think the only explanation for the 2021 draft was luck.
  • Same thing for JD's FA signings.
  • I think Woody definitely pushed the AR8 trade and told JD to sign whoever AR8 wanted.  So basically JD and Saleh are now lame ducks along for the AR8 ride.
  • I think Woody probably had an influence on not signing Huff and drafting a new DE instead, to try and reduce contract costs.  That is why there is no real discussion on extending Huff.  Let's see if he gets tagged.
  • I think Woody makes JD employ a low budget training and strength staff that results in injuries.

10 hours ago, NYDreamer said:

While Ulbrich is most deserving.  I believe Manuel our defensive backs coach has a defensive coordinator position interview.  

Tbh, I was mocking Ulbrich.  I think he's overrated.  Not that I think he's bad or anything but I just there are plenty of other DCs we could hire who could do just as good or better than he has with what he has to work with here.

3 years of mostly good Defense with Saleh and Ulbrich

3 years of mostly horrible offense with Saleh, MLF, and now Nate.

The HC is the single point of accountability, but I can't help seeing that one side of the ball, Defense, looks championship caliber despite getting fewer Draft resources over the years than the Offense.

The D has mostly had the same approach with the occasional addition of some well-picked players in both FA (Reed) and the Draft (Sauce, JJ, etc), as well as UDFA (Huff).  The Offense has repeatedly missed on both FAs (OT revolving door of Fant, Moses, Duane Brown, and guys like Lazard, Cook, etc.) as well as the Draft (Becton, Mims, Zach, etc.) AND two different offensive coordinators.

The team is completely bipolar.

If you look at the D then you'd give both the GM and HC very good grades.  If you looked at only the Offense you'd fire both of them yesterday.