Sauce & Quincy - 1st Team All-Pro

35 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Yep - add Huff UDFA, JFM 4th round castoff from the rams, Tony Adams UFDA. 

it’s the one thing they do well 

Yup. They do a good job of communicating with the FO on the type of players they need for their scheme and then developing those players.

If only we could do the same thing on the offensive side. Even just one offensive position unit would make a world of difference. But it’s a no to OL, receivers, QB, and running backs.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Ridiculous! They hired him to be the head coach, not a defensive coordinator. 

Yes but he's only ever been a defensive coordinator 

These are the skills he has. He's not suddenly going to become bill Walsh because he got a promotion 

It's not reasonable to expect Saleh a defense coach one of the lowest paid hc in the league to develop a qb. It would be nice but it's not a reasonable expectation from hiring Robert saleh 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I don’t think I’ve ever used all pro as any sort of metric. 

Ok. 

most people take those at least somewhat seriously, but even if you don’t, there are all sorts of metrics that point to Sauce being an elite cover guy. 

the fact that you can list the times he got beat from memory sort of speaks for itself.

I’d like to see him take the ball away, but the thing about getting picks is that people need to throw at you for you to get them. Look at how little his side of the field is targeted compared to DJ Reed’s side of the field. 

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

That’s just cuz he has a cool nickname, bro! 

I actually think it’s fair to ask why Sauce doesn’t get more INTs, and his tackling effort has been embarrassing at times. But everything we know from the metrics and the eye test is that he’s really, really good at covering people

• Upvote 3

Just now, bitonti said:

Yes but he's only ever been a defensive coordinator 

These are the skills he has. He's not suddenly going to become bill Walsh because he got a promotion 

It's not reasonable to expect Saleh a defense coach one of the lowest paid hc in the league to develop a qb. It would be nice but it's not a reasonable expectation from hiring Robert saleh 

bill belichick was once only a defensive coordinator. That can be said about any head coach coming from either side of the ball. 

they hired Saleh to be the head coach - he’s responsible for the entire operation. If all he can do is install his defense, then they should demote him to DC and hire a new head coach who is cool with Saleh continuing to running the defense.

If you remember, when Saleh was hired, we were told that he was going to be a “CEO” - a guy with an expertise in defense but well-rounded and detail-oriented enough to put his stamp on every aspect of the team. He was billed as having all of Rex’s strengths without his most glaring weaknesses. That hasn’t exactly worked out. 

10 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

It’s good. Don’t think I’ve said he isn’t good. But he’s a guy that would be a great trade piece. If you’re not sacking the QB or turning the ball over you are replaceable imo. Only a handful of non replaceable corners in league history. If you think he’s there then I just disagree. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I actually think it’s fair to ask why Sauce doesn’t get more INTs, and his tackling effort has been embarrassing at times. But everything we know from the metrics and the eye test is that he’s really, really good at covering people

Yea, he has mediocre ball-skills. 

tackling is hit or miss - but that can be said for the vast majority of corners. 

he does the most important thing a corner does better than everyone else in the sport. 

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

It’s good. Don’t think I’ve said he isn’t good. But he’s a guy that would be a great trade piece. If you’re not sacking the QB or turning the ball over you are replaceable imo. Only a handful of non replaceable corners in league history. If you think he’s there then I just disagree. 

Fair. I wouldn’t call him irreplaceable, especially not in this defense. 

12 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

they hired Saleh to be the head coach - he’s responsible for the entire operation.

Honest question do you think Saleh wanted to fire MLF last year and hire Hackett? 

Heck if we believe the rumors, Saleh wanted to keep darnold 

QB has become an ownership level decision for the Jets, not a HC level decision 

And bill belly can't develop a qb either

• Sympathy 1

Just now, bitonti said:

Honest question do you think Saleh wanted to fire MLF last year and hire Hackett? 

Heck if we believe the rumors, Saleh wanted to keep darnold 

QB has become an ownership level decision for the Jets, not a HC level decision 

And bill belly can't develop a qb either

I don’t think he wanted to fire MLF, but he was ALL ABOUT Hackett and always has been. Go back and listen to what he said about him when we played Denver in 2022. 

Saleh started Tim Boyle in back to back NFL games (including one on national TV) over Trevor Siemian and Zach Wilson. 

Stop making excuses for this guy. 

32 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

That's it !!!  OK...  I wanted Joe At in the draft.  Been stumping for it since mid-season.  I changed my mind.  Now, I want...

KOOL-AID MCKINSTRY.   What a tandem he would make with Sauce... 

Can we get anything in trade for DJ Reed ???

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

All the way up at #4??? We needed to draft Ekwonu to be our "franchise left tackle" for the next 10-15 years!! Stewpid Jets.

Imagine what people would think of Joe Douglas if Ickey was the pick?

thank you, Woody!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

They developed a free agent castoff lb into an all pro 

Saleh is unpopular but he does his job for the most part. The job they hired him for which is run a top tier defense 

Obviously we all wish the Jets could develop a qb but that's not what this coach does 

too bad his job is to be head coach.  i doubt if saleh can spell offense if you spotted him the o-f-f-e-n-s-e in order.

Derek Stingley Jr. on HOU had 5 INT's in 2023, compared to Sauces none.

Stingley missed 9.3% of his tackles, compared to Sauces 19.7% missed.

Stingley allowed a 47.9% comp rate against his receivers, compared to Sauces 56.4%

The both allowed 6.0 yards per target.

Stingley had a 41.3 QB rating when targeted, compared to Sauces 80.3 QB rating when targeted.

I get Jets Fans like it when Jets win awards, but it feels like this award was not well earned if he won it over Stingley.

Stingley only played 11 games, and Sauce played all 17, so that is about the only metric in Sauces favor.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Stingley allowed a 47.9% comp rate against his receivers, compared to Sauces 56.4%

Stingley had a 41.3 QB rating when targeted, compared to Sauces 80.3 QB rating when targeted.

I get Jets Fans like it when Jets win awards, but it feels like this award was not well earned if he won it over Stingley.

Stingley only played 11 games, and Sauce played all 17, so that is about the only metric in Sauces favor.

What were Michael Carters metrics at the slot? 

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Yep - add Huff UDFA, JFM 4th round castoff from the rams, Tony Adams UFDA. 

it’s the one thing they do well 

Almost like they develop defensive players well enough that they could use their high end draft capital on offensive players.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think the answer is in your post - you can’t win 1st team all pro when you miss 6 games (35% of the season)

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He put it better than I could:

Somewhat true, and yet, I can’t help noting that Sauce is a lot better at covering WRs than Asante Samuel ever was. 

Asante was a ballhawk who got burned a lot, so that would be his take 

• Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

22 minutes ago, Warfish said:

There isn’t a person alive who would want Stingley over Gardner, however. 

• Upvote 4