OT: Moving

21 hours ago, Gainzo said:

As someone that has moved way too many times in the last 15 years my advice is to get rid of things you haven't touched in years. Stuff in the basement, garage, etc.

I think that advice has come up in the thread already. Getting a POD is a good move but you will need to do all of the heavy lifting!

I think he said they'll have enough of their 20-something kids & nephews carrying it all. He's not lifting anything heavier than his phone, presumably to take pictures of them moving his stuff for him. Much respect.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 1/16/2024 at 2:59 PM, Maxman said:

Same town, I just looked it is .4 miles away. We live close to my parents, basically moving the same distance from them in the other direction.

Oh, Dad, when you read this, thanks to the great suggestion on the Pod storage, I will need to park my RV in your driveway. Please plan accordingly.

Sorry @nj meadowlands there is room in the driveway. We have to expand the driveway and move that shed. But there is empty land on the other side of the house so that is where the shed is going. And it looks like the driveway is 45' long so I can park it there. The last house I bid on, there was no room to park it. So this is a huge win, love having the beast in the driveway.  :)

image.png

Nice looking place Phil, congrats.

• Upvote 1

On 1/15/2024 at 7:58 PM, #27TheDominator said:

We did it ourselves.  Pretty much the total disaster you would expect, but still better than many moving experiences friends have paid for.  Big family and friends are a huge help.  I am not friendly or nice, but I have a lot of cousins.

My dad drove for Bekins for 9 years, and my brother and I would help him. Too many summers spent schlepping up and down stairs for me to go the diy route these days. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Whereabouts if you don't mind me asking? We just moved to Prosper after living our entire lives in the Northeast 18 months ago. 

Prosper is nice, that whole area around Frisco is exploding.  I'm about 40 miles south west of you, Keller/Southlake area.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

Prosper is nice, that whole area around Frisco is exploding.  I'm about 40 miles south west of you, Keller/Southlake area.

Yea we’re right in the middle of all of it in WSR. 2 years ago it had a real suburban country feel to it. Now it’s becoming its own little city. It’s got its pros and cons.

Love the Southlake area. The Carrol Dragons football program is a force every year.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Yea we’re right in the middle of all of it in WSR. 2 years ago it had a real suburban country feel to it. Now it’s becoming its own little city. It’s got its pros and cons.

Love the Southlake area. The Carrol Dragons football program is a force every year.

People are nuts for HS football out here.  Quinn Ewers home town

Ironically, a bunch of ex Jets live here.

• Upvote 2

On 1/17/2024 at 7:59 AM, joewilly12 said:

Good luck God Bless Maxman and entire family…. Change is never easy. Hoping praying for the best. 

Doesnt @T0mShane own a moving company. 

Yes but I had him quote me and he wanted $73,000. It is only like 6 blocks away. Told him I didn't have the budget for that.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

A little late and I see a bunch of advice has already been offered, but best wishes @Maxman. Love that you have an inground pool in the new place. As you say, it'll keep the kids coming back, and what more could you or your wife ask for?

Yes, thank you. We have an above ground pool now and the deck is at pool level. But the ladder steps would be too hard for Lauren. We think the inground pool will be an option for her which is good. The pool was always her thing.

I remember years ago when we got a pool service. Lauren and Ronaldo would meet regularly to discuss pool maintenance. I would be at work and the neighbors would let me know he was there again when the kids were at school. I have so much respect for her, taking the pool maintenance schedule that serious, even in November when the pool is closed. That is loyalty.  KIDDING!

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think he said they'll have enough of their 20-something kids & nephews carrying it all. He's not lifting anything heavier than his phone, presumably to take pictures of them moving his stuff for him. Much respect.

This is fantastic and true.

• Upvote 2

On 1/17/2024 at 8:59 PM, batman10023 said:

floors are expensive.  We just got them done this past week. 

We are probably going to look to sell our house in the next two to three years.   Been here since 2001.  So right now I am working on the list of projects that have to be done to be ready to sell.  Our flooring is at the top of the list.  Broken ceramic tile, grout looks awful.  Carpets destroyed by 20+ years of dogs running in and out with mud on their paws (and other fluids that dogs will occasionally leave behind).  Huge hole that one of the dogs dug in the carpet on the steps -- one of the first things you see when you walk into the house.

I am afraid of what it might cost, but if I want to sell the house, I am going to have to bite the bullet and get it done.  As much as the wife says we will do it inexpensively, I can just hear the arguments already in my head.  "But that other one is so much nicer, and its not really that much more..."  And if I convince her to go with the lower cost options, she is just going to spend that much more on the new house. 

No matter what happens, I see no scenario where I am not overspending.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lith said:

We are probably going to look to sell our house in the next two to three years.   Been here since 2001.  So right now I am working on the list of projects that have to be done to be ready to sell.  Our flooring is at the top of the list.  Broken ceramic tile, grout looks awful.  Carpets destroyed by 20+ years of dogs running in and out with mud on their paws (and other fluids that dogs will occasionally leave behind).  Huge hole that one of the dogs dug in the carpet on the steps -- one of the first things you see when you walk into the house.

I am afraid of what it might cost, but if I want to sell the house, I am going to have to bite the bullet and get it done.  As much as the wife says we will do it inexpensively, I can just hear the arguments already in my head.  "But that other one is so much nicer, and its not really that much more..."  And if I convince her to go with the lower cost options, she is just going to spend that much more on the new house. 

Dont know much but one thing I have learned over the years is when I go to a showroom or supply house with my wife I simply ask - show her the most expensive option because after 3 hours of going over every option that is where she ends up.

Funny thing is my wife is not very materialistic and it is not about having something that is expensive but the manufacturers are smart and know the little touches that put someone over the top are always at the top of the price list.

In the end it just saves time  

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Lith said:

The house we are buying was built in 1992. A lot of it is hardwood but not all. The hardwood that is there is beat up pretty good. Would have to be sanded refinshed etc.  Everyone we spoke with recommended Vinyl Plank. My friend owns a carpet and flooring store and he is doing it for us. Because Lauren is in a wheelchair he is putting down a commercial version so it holds up better. There is some ceramic tile and they are going right over that with the vinyl plank.

Our use case is a little different but I found it interesting.

• Upvote 2

On 1/25/2024 at 10:12 PM, Maxman said:

Yes, thank you. We have an above ground pool now and the deck is at pool level. But the ladder steps would be too hard for Lauren. We think the inground pool will be an option for her which is good. The pool was always her thing.

I remember years ago when we got a pool service. Lauren and Ronaldo would meet regularly to discuss pool maintenance. I would be at work and the neighbors would let me know he was there again when the kids were at school. I have so much respect for her, taking the pool maintenance schedule that serious, even in November when the pool is closed. That is loyalty.  KIDDING!

Funny, until the next alt comes up and it’s PoolboyRenaldo. 

• Haha 3

On 1/27/2024 at 7:54 AM, Dunnie said:

Max .. you guys have been on my mind .. has the move happened.. how did it go ?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

We close on the bridge loan on Friday this week, and then we close on the new house on Friday next week. I am hoping they can bump the closing up next week a day or two earlier. 

The house needs new flooring to be wheelchair accessible and the flooring company said the old floor definitely has to come up. I am friends with the owner of the store so I trust him completely. Timing just gets tough:

Fri 2/9 - Close

Sat - 2/10 - Paint contractor is starting. I thought they wouldn't start until Monday, but I don't want to slow them down. He is widening the doorways, spackling, painting everything and  putting in new floor molding.

So we have to rip up the floors soon because that will be messy. Fingers crossed.

Once the paint contractor is done (and floors) we are moving in. I am going to take out the current appliances and get new ones delievered.

The mortgage process was insane, they want so much documentation. But the mortgage commitment is here and we should be moving soon.

Thank you @Dunnie for letting me ramble.  :)

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 3

On 1/25/2024 at 4:05 PM, chirorob said:

my sister in law lived in keller and now in southlake.

its a very nice area.  i find the houses to be very similar and boring.   but the house in southlake is huge.

On 1/26/2024 at 11:54 PM, Maxman said:

The house we are buying was built in 1992. A lot of it is hardwood but not all. The hardwood that is there is beat up pretty good. Would have to be sanded refinshed etc.  Everyone we spoke with recommended Vinyl Plank. My friend owns a carpet and flooring store and he is doing it for us. Because Lauren is in a wheelchair he is putting down a commercial version so it holds up better. There is some ceramic tile and they are going right over that with the vinyl plank.

Our use case is a little different but I found it interesting.

it will be interesting to see if you can tell the difference between the hardwood floors and the vinyl - and if it makes a difference.

4 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

it will be interesting to see if you can tell the difference between the hardwood floors and the vinyl - and if it makes a difference.

im installing vinyl in my kitchen and the products they have out now are miles different than the roll out vinyl form the 60's and 70's. Looks wise sure there is a difference than hardwood but depending upon the application, it does make more sense to do so.

I think hardwood looks beautiful in a kitchen but that comes with maintenance, spillage etc. Teh new vinyl products you can drop a knife point down and it will not cause an issue.

As always personal preference.  

• Upvote 2

On 1/26/2024 at 3:27 PM, Lith said:

we most likely aren't selling but was in similar situation.  our house was a mess - hardwood flooring was outdated, the bathroom tiles were horrible, kitchen cabinets were run down, doors were cheap and flimsy, etc.   I can't believe we put up with this for so long.

we didn't really use the house much (weekend house) so didn't really want to spend the money.  But it was a $2MM house with $250k type of interior.  So we are fixing things, opening walls etc.

Since we never did this before the prices are quite shocking to me.  Most everything is 50% higher than I expected.  Who knew doors uninstalled would cost $600 bucks each.  Windows $1500? WTF  kitchen countertop $10k.  And the labor cost is all over the place, i always am getting quotes like 25-40% different from each other.

and of course now we need new furniture.   $$$$ out the door.

ask me in a year if it's worth it.  

• Ugh 1

4 minutes ago, Trotter said:

im installing vinyl in my kitchen and the products they have out now are miles different than the roll out vinyl form the 60's and 70's. Looks wise sure there is a difference than hardwood but depending upon the application, it does make more sense to do so.

I think hardwood looks beautiful in a kitchen but that comes with maintenance, spillage etc. Teh new vinyl products you can drop a knife point down and it will not cause an issue.

As always personal preference.  

I have heard this about the Vinyl and how it's SO much better than what you remember from growing up.     If we finish our basement we will use Vinyl.  

we have long wide maple plank hardwood flooring getting put in.   I really like it and I can't imagine how great it will be once it's sanded and stained.  

• Upvote 2