OT: Moving

17 hours ago, Maxman said:

My son and his girlfriend are personal trainers. All of his friends are former football players in their early 20s. Believe me, I won't be lifting anything heavy haha.

Couple pizzas, some beer, they'll work all day

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

Congrats Phil.  Same town?  Driveway space for the RV?

Same town, I just looked it is .4 miles away. We live close to my parents, basically moving the same distance from them in the other direction.

Oh, Dad, when you read this, thanks to the great suggestion on the Pod storage, I will need to park my RV in your driveway. Please plan accordingly.

Sorry @nj meadowlands there is room in the driveway. We have to expand the driveway and move that shed. But there is empty land on the other side of the house so that is where the shed is going. And it looks like the driveway is 45' long so I can park it there. The last house I bid on, there was no room to park it. So this is a huge win, love having the beast in the driveway.  :)

image.png

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Maxman said:

Same town, I just looked it is .4 miles away. We live close to my parents, basically moving the same distance from them in the other direction.

Oh, Dad, when you read this, thanks to the great suggestion on the Pod storage, I will need to park my RV in your driveway. Please plan accordingly.

Sorry @nj meadowlands there is room in the driveway. We have to expand the driveway and move that shed. But there is empty land on the other side of the house so that is where the shed is going. And it looks like the driveway is 45' long so I can park it there. The last house I bid on, there was no room to park it. So this is a huge win, love having the beast in the driveway.  :)

image.png

is that shed yours?

Im jealous

Best of luck with the move and continued prayers for Lauren.

Read your post a few back about meeting at age 17 and how you are doing whatever it takes to take care of your wife and family. I am stealing a movie line here but yeah, that is what makes you that guy.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Trotter said:

is that shed yours?

Im jealous

Best of luck with the move and continued prayers for Lauren.

Read your post a few back about meeting at age 17 and how you are doing whatever it takes to take care of your wife and family. I am stealing a movie line here but yeah, that is what makes you that guy.

Yes the shed is on the property. The guy that lived in the house passed away 10 years ago. There are no shelves, I wonder if he passed away right after getting the shed. It looks like it was just used for storage. Has some nice ladders in there, I told the realtor that I hope they leave them.  :)

Thank you! Our kids are our lives. Feel very lucky that the two older ones stayed close by after moving out. The new house has an inground pool. Which is good because they are good kids, but I always want to find reasons to keep them coming back home!

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Yes the shed is on the property. The guy that lived in the house passed away 10 years ago. There are no shelves, I wonder if he passed away right after getting the shed. It looks like it was just used for storage. Has some nice ladders in there, I told the realtor that I hope they leave them.  :)

Thank you! Our kids are our lives. Feel very lucky that the two older ones stayed close by after moving out. The new house has an inground pool. Which is good because they are good kids, but I always want to find reasons to keep them coming back home!

sounds like you are going to have a beautiful setup there.

Now we need 85 and sunny and get rid of freezing temps, snow and ice. God I hate winter. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/15/2024 at 9:35 PM, Maxman said:

Very good advice. We have an attic in the new place and we don't have one now. So we have been lean on the storage items. But there is plenty to throw out \ give away.

I have several nice items that we can't bring, no room etc. Going to do a Free Garage Sale. We live on a main street. Anything we put outside goes. Will put everything out. Then post on the town page. Free garage sale. See what goes.

Everything else is going in a dumpster. Renting one soon. Time to purge for sure.

I got dibs on the JetMobile RV. 😁

On 1/15/2024 at 9:25 PM, Maxman said:

No the site isn't moving. The Sullivan family is moving. 

It wasn't the plan, but with Lauren in a wheelchair right now, our current house doesn't work. It isn't that big, but it has three levels. Laundry and my office in the basement. Living room, kitchen etc on the main floor and the bedrooms upstairs.

Has a few steps getting in and we bought a stair chair to get her in and out (it is amazing). But she has been living on the main floor, and sleeping there.

Big on a ranch when she was in the hospital in NYC, and we were outbid. Then we signed up with a friend who is an amazing realtor and she said hang tight, there is nothing on the market right now. In January, things will pick up. She called it, on January 1st a ranch came on the market and they started showing it on 1/3. By 1/4 we were under contract, she worked her magic because the market is so competitive right now. 

Somehow we avoided a bidding war and got it slightly over asking. This house ended up being a much better fit and 55k lower. So it worked out great.

Moving though? UGH.

We have been in this house for 24 years. Raised our kids here. We have three weeks to get everything packed and moved out.

The new house is very close, less than ten blocks away in the same town. We are taking out a bridge loan so that we can move in, empty this one out and then clean it up quickly before we list it.

Wish me luck and if anyone has any moving advice I am all ears.

No advice on moving @Maxman Phil. It just sux. Did it way too many times, but I'm finally good where I am now. Good luck to you and your family.

• Upvote 1

On 1/16/2024 at 3:52 PM, Maxman said:

We are buying a new Fridge, I will text you for advice!

YES. This is a great point. That is such a big part of the healing journey. Feeling safe, creating a routine that minimizes stress.

The new normal can change, but so can we. We just might go bankrupt in the process.  :)

Not advice but just bought a new fridge

Had the French doors with the drawer below and bottom freezer

hated it

bought a side by side and could not be happier. Not a crazy price either

no internet on the door and yes I have to open it to see if I need eggs - such issues😀

• Upvote 1

On 1/15/2024 at 9:55 PM, Maxman said:

It is an estate sale and I don't think the people getting the estate live close (no kids). So squatting it is.  :)

This was going to be the house. Was thinking of making some improvements to open the floor plan before any of this happened. Lauren has been fine walking up and down the stairs. She had a fall in November and that kind of changed things. We put handrails in the bathrooms and things like that. But the layout here isn't open. Was great to raise kids in, plenty of spaces to hide lol.

But the open floor plan is what we need. Although trading out 2.5% mortgage in for something new, ugh.  This one has an inground pool, so at least I can post sexy photos of myself here over the summer. The extra ad revenue will pay for the higher interest rate haha.

Can you transfer your mortgage to a buyer of your old house?  Some mortgages allow that. 

floors are expensive.  We just got them done this past week. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/16/2024 at 2:56 AM, Maynard13 said:

Rent a truck, contact your local Mormon church. The kids who live there will help you - free. They don’t take money. They just do it to be of service. They’ve helped me several times all over the country. They won’t even take money for lunch. You’d have to treat them. Amazing kids. Best of luck. 

Zach gonna be a mover in a couple of years?

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, batman10023 said:

Can you transfer your mortgage to a buyer of your old house?  Some mortgages allow that. 

floors are expensive.  We just got them done this past week. 

I wish we could. We really can't list this until we are out of it. Just can't show it while Lauren is here because it isn't easy for her to get around. So we went the bridge loan route. Buy one, then list this. They lend you the $ out of your equity to make your existing mortgage payments.

You get 6 months to sell your house or they buy it for $100,000 less than it is worth. And they take 2% of the cut.  Nice world if you have money like that I guess.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Trotter said:

Not advice but just bought a new fridge

Had the French doors with the drawer below and bottom freezer

hated it

bought a side by side and could not be happier. Not a crazy price either

no internet on the door and yes I have to open it to see if I need eggs - such issues😀

THat is interesting. I don't see the need for internet on the fridge. I talk to the google homes for the shopping list. Add milk, add orange juice etc. Not sure what the internet fridge really gets you. 

BUT we had the side by side (a small one) and didn't like it. We kind of like the freezer on the bottom. Interesting that you don't like that.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

I got dibs on the JetMobile RV. 😁

I thought about selling it for like half a second. Then realized that if I did I would never be able to afford another one and said screw it.

The one we bought 7 years ago, we put no down payment on it. It appraised more than we paid and the guy wanted to get rid of it real bad. 7 years later and we sold it for $32,500. Paid $36,000, so basically I took that whole amount and put it down on the new one.

It is the parlay principle. Sure, I could do something smart with that money like put it towards the kids college tuition. But there is no fun in that!

• Post of the Week 1

53 minutes ago, Cornfed said:

Good luck, Max. You are the best. This site is the best. I’m hoping that you and Lauren have an easy move and make great memories in your new digs!

Thank you! Really looking forward to it. Excited for home projects, especially the outside stuff.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

THat is interesting. I don't see the need for internet on the fridge. I talk to the google homes for the shopping list. Add milk, add orange juice etc. Not sure what the internet fridge really gets you. 

BUT we had the side by side (a small one) and didn't like it. We kind of like the freezer on the bottom. Interesting that you don't like that.

If something is on top in the freezer I see it

once it got covered it was lost forever

First of all, my best wishes for Lauren and your family. I know what kind of stress it puts on the whole family (I am the cancer patient) but it sounds like you are managing all the changes well.

I've done whole house moves 5 times. Some have been long distance, some short. Although we have been in this house for 20 years, some lessons are just burnt in to your brain. I also packed up my sons house for a long distance move after he went to Florida.

First of all, my circumstances are surely different than yours, but I will never move myself again. Even if you have help, it puts a toll on the mind and body that I am just not willing to deal with.

If you decide to clean out things before you move, you have to be absolutely brutal about what stays and what goes. If not you won't get rid of much. We started going through stuff 6 months ago and we are not even close to an endpoint. It might be easier to move everything and make the decision as you unpack the boxes (which are a fortune to buy if you have to). Plus, I think that would get you out of the old house faster and perhaps pay off the bridge loan earlier.

In any case, I wish you all the best of luck in your new home.

14 hours ago, Maxman said:

I wish we could. We really can't list this until we are out of it. Just can't show it while Lauren is here because it isn't easy for her to get around. So we went the bridge loan route. Buy one, then list this. They lend you the $ out of your equity to make your existing mortgage payments.

You get 6 months to sell your house or they buy it for $100,000 less than it is worth. And they take 2% of the cut.  Nice world if you have money like that I guess.

you should be able to sell your house within 6 months, the market is still kind of hot.

we debated selling our weekend home but with the mortgage rate it wasn't worth it.  we have a 10 year interest only mortgage under 2.8%.   that is such a good bargain.

14 hours ago, Maxman said:

I thought about selling it for like half a second. Then realized that if I did I would never be able to afford another one and said screw it.

The one we bought 7 years ago, we put no down payment on it. It appraised more than we paid and the guy wanted to get rid of it real bad. 7 years later and we sold it for $32,500. Paid $36,000, so basically I took that whole amount and put it down on the new one.

It is the parlay principle. Sure, I could do something smart with that money like put it towards the kids college tuition. But there is no fun in that!

The used car market has exploded. Can't believe what used vehicles are going for these days.

Edited by Maxman
Took out the political part

14 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

you should be able to sell your house within 6 months, the market is still kind of hot.

we debated selling our weekend home but with the mortgage rate it wasn't worth it.  we have a 10 year interest only mortgage under 2.8%.   that is such a good bargain.

I am told if you price your house right, it sells in a week. My neighbor just sold his house in a day. 2 bedroom ranch with a basement. He got the amount I thought we would list for. Realtor told us that is a great comp for us. Crazy times.

Where is your weekend house?

If it’s that close, throw a moving party on a weekend.

Get catered food. Have drinks. Tell people to stop by, have good food and help you move for a few hours.

Congrats and good luck.

We moved to our current house from an apartment less than a mile away. We just walked stuff over. 😂 The more heavier stuff went on a uhaul. Different story though going from apartment to house. A lot less stuff to move. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Maxman said:

The pod is being delivered at 8am today. It is getting real!

Thanks for the suggestion.

As someone that has moved way too many times in the last 15 years my advice is to get rid of things you haven't touched in years. Stuff in the basement, garage, etc.

I think that advice has come up in the thread already. Getting a POD is a good move but you will need to do all of the heavy lifting!

• Upvote 2

On 1/17/2024 at 10:30 AM, Maxman said:

Either that or he was so fat he couldn’t fit in it with shelves. 

• Haha 1

On 1/15/2024 at 9:58 PM, Maxman said:

Yes! Thank you. She is so excited. She went to see the new house with me when it first hit the market. It is on a slab and the lady that lived there was in a wheelchair. So there is a plywood ramp (all of a few inches) to smooth out the entrance lip. 

We get inside and within thirty seconds she was like, yep this is it. The floor plan is perfect. Three bedrooms; Master has its own bathroom which we don't have now. 2nd Bedroom will be my office, so no more basement hiding for me. The 3rd bedroom will be for Colin, he just turned 21 and is finishing up at Rutgers.  Shane and Kelly moved out so their stuff is already out.

Then it has an open floor plan with a living room and family room with the kitchen and dining area in between then in an L shape.

Just perfect for what we need. Thanks!

Where's it located?