OT: Moving

Just now, chirorob said:

Pods

Even for a local move, they bring the Pods to your house, load up all the stuff you don't need immediately.  Then they bring it to the new place,  you cam unpack as you need.

Interesting. I looked at that over the weekend, but I am not sure it works for us. We are having work done to the house, so it will be at least two weeks after we close before we can move it. It needs to be painted, and all new floors. But we are having several door ways widened so you can get through them with a wheel chair.

I think that might give us the opportunity to move some stuff in slowly. Like my office, once the floors are in I can bring all that over in a truck.

Was originally hiring a moving company but none called me back. Now I am thinking of us doing it with the help of our three kids friends group who are all in their 20s.

It is funny but true, I come from a long line of moving men. Humble brag, I know. Grandfather that I never met was this Irish guy who put couches on his back and carried them upstairs. And my cousins owned a moving company.

So might be doing it ourselves. Originally didn't want to but now that the quotes are coming in, I am thinking saving 5k might not be bad. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Moving Advice: Throw out, donate, give away everything that has accumulated in your house over 24 years that isn’t essential to you in the new house 

Very good advice. We have an attic in the new place and we don't have one now. So we have been lean on the storage items. But there is plenty to throw out \ give away.

I have several nice items that we can't bring, no room etc. Going to do a Free Garage Sale. We live on a main street. Anything we put outside goes. Will put everything out. Then post on the town page. Free garage sale. See what goes.

Everything else is going in a dumpster. Renting one soon. Time to purge for sure.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Pods

Even for a local move, they bring the Pods to your house, load up all the stuff you don't need immediately.  Then they bring it to the new place,  you cam unpack as you need.

Pods are amazing

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Pods

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Pods are amazing

Actually, are they weather proof? Like can I put one in the driveway, load it up now and everything will be dry when they move it to us?

If so, that could work. There is so much stuff we don't need right now that is in the house that we can get out of the way ahead of time. Would actually let us list this house even sooner possibly since we can start cleaning things up earlier.

Squatting seems to be popular lately....maybe retract ur offer and just move in? Put name on mailbox...they can't touch you!

JK....good luck with your move. Your description of your house for 25 yrs, raising fam, etc, is exactly my situation, Wifey says she ain't never movin

• Haha 1

Best of luck man. Moving can be a pain in the butt, so hope everything goes as smoothly as possible. 

Best wishes to Lauren, too. This move is going to be annoying right now but in the not too far future this should end up making things much nicer.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

Squatting seems to be popular lately....maybe retract ur offer and just move in? Put name on mailbox...they can't touch you!

JK....good luck with your move. Your description of your house for 25 yrs, raising fam, etc, is exactly my situation, Wifey says she ain't never movin

It is an estate sale and I don't think the people getting the estate live close (no kids). So squatting it is.  :)

This was going to be the house. Was thinking of making some improvements to open the floor plan before any of this happened. Lauren has been fine walking up and down the stairs. She had a fall in November and that kind of changed things. We put handrails in the bathrooms and things like that. But the layout here isn't open. Was great to raise kids in, plenty of spaces to hide lol.

But the open floor plan is what we need. Although trading out 2.5% mortgage in for something new, ugh.  This one has an inground pool, so at least I can post sexy photos of myself here over the summer. The extra ad revenue will pay for the higher interest rate haha.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Very good advice. We have an attic in the new place and we don't have one now. So we have been lean on the storage items. But there is plenty to throw out \ give away.

I have several nice items that we can't bring, no room etc. Going to do a Free Garage Sale. We live on a main street. Anything we put outside goes. Will put everything out. Then post on the town page. Free garage sale. See what goes.

Everything else is going in a dumpster. Renting one soon. Time to purge for sure.

Good luck with the move, Phil.

Before you start giving too much stuff away, see what you can donate.  Salvation Army, Habitat for Humanity and others will accept donations and they will haul the stuff away for you.  They may get picky as to what they will take, if it won't sell in their thrift store, they don't want it, but an extra tax deduction never hurts;.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

Good luck with the move, Phil.

Before you start giving too much stuff away, see what you can donate.  Salvation Army, Habitat for Humanity and others will accept donations and they will haul the stuff away for you.  They may get picky as to what they will take, if it won't sell in their thrift store, they don't want it, but an extra tax deduction never hurts;.

That is a really good point. I could schedule the Salvation Army pickup ahead of time.  Very good advice.

30 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Pods

There is a u-haul version of these I tried to use for my last move. Had them scheduled to be dropped off the week before closing. The day before they were to be dropped off I got an email saying they wouldn't arrive until after the closing. Pretty sure there was actual smoke coming out of my ears.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Ugh 1

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Yes! Thank you. She is so excited. She went to see the new house with me when it first hit the market. It is on a slab and the lady that lived there was in a wheelchair. So there is a plywood ramp (all of a few inches) to smooth out the entrance lip. 

We get inside and within thirty seconds she was like, yep this is it. The floor plan is perfect. Three bedrooms; Master has its own bathroom which we don't have now. 2nd Bedroom will be my office, so no more basement hiding for me. The 3rd bedroom will be for Colin, he just turned 21 and is finishing up at Rutgers.  Shane and Kelly moved out so their stuff is already out.

Then it has an open floor plan with a living room and family room with the kitchen and dining area in between then in an L shape.

Just perfect for what we need. Thanks!

Oh that's wonderful! Yea that's a great floorplan. The proximity to your old house is also really nice, too. The only big change is the property itself.

Good luck moving!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Sorry to hear about the wife my dude. I’ve moved 3 times in the last 4 years, 1 of which was cross country and the other 2 were done while juggling small children. My advice to you is you’re better off setting all your possessions on fire because moving is the worst thing a human being can experience. 

3 times in the last 4 years? Damn that is a lot. Kids complicate things. What was the deciding factor that made you bring the kids with you to the new place?  :)

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

There is a u-haul version of these I tried to use for my last move. Had them scheduled to be dropped off the week before closing. The day before they were to be dropped off I got an email saying they wouldn't arrive until after the closing. Pretty sure there was actual smoke coming out of my ears.

I would legit throw up. 

I am looking at one now, they drop it off and you pay by the month. We are three weeks out from closing, so I am thinking get the 16 footer now. Load it up. Then have them move it after we close. It can sit in the driveway while they are working on the floors and painting in the new place.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Actually, are they weather proof? Like can I put one in the driveway, load it up now and everything will be dry when they move it to us?

If so, that could work. There is so much stuff we don't need right now that is in the house that we can get out of the way ahead of time. Would actually let us list this house even sooner possibly since we can start cleaning things up earlier.

They are.

I used them to move from California to Idaho.  Idaho to Texas, and Texas to Texas (10 mile move).

Keep in mind they aren't climate controlled, so if it's 30 degrees, the pids will be water proof but still only 30 degrees.

That's the key, get them now.   Load up your garage, all the non essentials.  Load them over a few days, not all at once.   Then they'll pick the Pods up, store it, and deliver to the new house when you're ready.  Again, you don't have to unload in a day

• Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, Maxman said:

No the site isn't moving. The Sullivan family is moving. 

It wasn't the plan, but with Lauren in a wheelchair right now, our current house doesn't work. It isn't that big, but it has three levels. Laundry and my office in the basement. Living room, kitchen etc on the main floor and the bedrooms upstairs.

Has a few steps getting in and we bought a stair chair to get her in and out (it is amazing). But she has been living on the main floor, and sleeping there.

Big on a ranch when she was in the hospital in NYC, and we were outbid. Then we signed up with a friend who is an amazing realtor and she said hang tight, there is nothing on the market right now. In January, things will pick up. She called it, on January 1st a ranch came on the market and they started showing it on 1/3. By 1/4 we were under contract, she worked her magic because the market is so competitive right now. 

Somehow we avoided a bidding war and got it slightly over asking. This house ended up being a much better fit and 55k lower. So it worked out great.

Moving though? UGH.

We have been in this house for 24 years. Raised our kids here. We have three weeks to get everything packed and moved out.

The new house is very close, less than ten blocks away in the same town. We are taking out a bridge loan so that we can move in, empty this one out and then clean it up quickly before we list it.

Wish me luck and if anyone has any moving advice I am all ears.

I've moved a lot for most people and I can tell you.. take the saving and pay a moving company to come in and pack everything. They'll put it in boxes, move it and unpack it. Sure, it's expensive, but the amount you save in mental anguish is worth it.

The Pods that people have mentioned are a good option too. I've used PODS and a collegue moved to Hawaii last year with he uhaul ones (which are smaller, but cheaper). He liked the uhaul ones being smaller because they packed up one a couple months ahead of time and it went over to uhauls storage facility in Hawaii so when his wife went over and was ready, it was able to be delivered the next day.

• Upvote 2

Congrats on finding a new spot. I used a local pod company to move us out myself when we gutted and remodeled. The pod is awesome - would recommend. Also, make sure the movers don’t slide your antique sea chest across the brand new hardwood floors. 

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Yep - weather proof/resistant. They would work nicely for you. That’s basically what we did when we moved.  

do it! 

• Upvote 3

Every time you update about your life it makes me realize what amazing husband you are and how much you love your wife. You also always seem to positive and make the best of it, and I’m sure Lauren does too considering what she has been through. I wish you much success with the move and hope your wife gets fully better.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

I just moved a couple of months ago and as others have said, using this as an opportunity to clean out any old stuff that you'll never again use and easily accumulates when you stay in the same place too long will make things so much easier on you, both for the move and again for settling into the new place.

If considering hiring professional movers, I just used Piece of Cake based on recommendations and they were fantastic, with options for every tier (including having them do a full pack and move for you, if your attention needs to be elsewhere) and I thought they were totally reasonably priced.  I admittedly underestimated my move load to them when not considering a bunch of things and when realized it only on the day of, the movers were more than happy to accept cash to cover that and avoid all the additional taxes and fees that would have otherwise come.

Of course, regardless of how you choose to tackle all of this, wish all the best to you and Lauren.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

No the site isn't moving. The Sullivan family is moving. 

It wasn't the plan, but with Lauren in a wheelchair right now, our current house doesn't work. It isn't that big, but it has three levels. Laundry and my office in the basement. Living room, kitchen etc on the main floor and the bedrooms upstairs.

Has a few steps getting in and we bought a stair chair to get her in and out (it is amazing). But she has been living on the main floor, and sleeping there.

Big on a ranch when she was in the hospital in NYC, and we were outbid. Then we signed up with a friend who is an amazing realtor and she said hang tight, there is nothing on the market right now. In January, things will pick up. She called it, on January 1st a ranch came on the market and they started showing it on 1/3. By 1/4 we were under contract, she worked her magic because the market is so competitive right now. 

Somehow we avoided a bidding war and got it slightly over asking. This house ended up being a much better fit and 55k lower. So it worked out great.

Moving though? UGH.

We have been in this house for 24 years. Raised our kids here. We have three weeks to get everything packed and moved out.

The new house is very close, less than ten blocks away in the same town. We are taking out a bridge loan so that we can move in, empty this one out and then clean it up quickly before we list it.

Wish me luck and if anyone has any moving advice I am all ears.

Good luck on the move Max & Godspeed to the Mrs. 🙏

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Congrats on finding a new spot. I used a local pod company to move us out myself when we gutted and remodeled. The pod is awesome - would recommend. Also, make sure the movers don’t slide your antique sea chest across the brand new hardwood floors. 

Did that happen to you?

• Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, Maxman said:

3 times in the last 4 years? Damn that is a lot. Kids complicate things. What was the deciding factor that made you bring the kids with you to the new place?  :)

They were cute at the time. Now the older one is almost a threenager and we just didn’t see that coming. 

34 minutes ago, chirorob said:

They are.

I used them to move from California to Idaho.  Idaho to Texas, and Texas to Texas (10 mile move).

Keep in mind they aren't climate controlled, so if it's 30 degrees, the pids will be water proof but still only 30 degrees.

That's the key, get them now.   Load up your garage, all the non essentials.  Load them over a few days, not all at once.   Then they'll pick the Pods up, store it, and deliver to the new house when you're ready.  Again, you don't have to unload in a day

Thank you. I am doing it. The pod crew has convinced me lol. Seriously I am happy about this. Pack all non essential stuff and move it out of the way now. We can spackle walls and see what we want to fix before listing!

• Upvote 1