Sports Illustrated, a panel of 31 experts rank the 50 most influential teams in NFL history

Is this their swan song issue?  The 68 jets and their win was certainly significant but I have read where the merger was in the works before Super Bowl III.  So it didn’t matter what the outcome was.   However it did verify that the AFL teams could stand up to the NFL teams.  The colts were a heck of a team even without Unitas.  The jets beat them.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Biggs said:

The Raiders moving to Vegas and the NFL getting in bed with the mob will trump the entire history of the NFL.

Interesting part about this is the theory that Morrall was paid to throw SB III by the mob and that’s why Namath made his guarantee, he was really tied into the bookies and knew about the arrangement. Bubba Smith commented on it multiple times.  Morrall never looked at the primary receiver on the flea flicker, who was wide open , and threw 2 red zone picks 

multiple NFL franchises were started by bookies , including the Giants and Steelers. The mob and the NFL are like chocolate and peanut butter 

3 hours ago, Larz said:

Interesting part about this is the theory that Morrall was paid to throw SB III by the mob and that’s why Namath made his guarantee, he was really tied into the bookies and knew about the arrangement. Bubba Smith commented on it multiple times.  Morrall never looked at the primary receiver on the flea flicker, who was wide open , and threw 2 red zone picks 

multiple NFL franchises were started by bookies , including the Giants and Steelers. The mob and the NFL are like chocolate and peanut butter 

Sad Its Over GIF by Star Wars

• Haha 1

What makes me sad. I am old af and have rooted for this team and haven’t missed a game since kindergarten -either from my seat in the stadium ( season tickets in the old stadium) plenty of games in MetLife - or on tv. And I wasn’t even born yet to have ever even unconsciously be able to bear witness to their only Super Bowl. 

• Upvote 1

Great timing with this post..considering the enormous flack the team/coaches are enduring right now.  Can always go back to my teenage year in 68/69 and reminisce.  That’s all I got as on old-timer…but grateful to at least have the memory..still vivid in my mind. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Greg555 said:

Great timing with this post..considering the enormous flack the team/coaches are enduring right now.  Can always go back to my teenage year in 68/69 and reminisce.  That’s all I got as on old-timer…but grateful to at least have the memory..still vivid in my mind. 

At least you got that. 

What do us folks born in the early 80s have? 

On 1/30/2024 at 10:27 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

This is not only the correct response, it is a no-brainer.  The American Football League was looked upon by the National Football League as inferior. It was the NFL's hope and belief that the AFL would only be able to field second rate players and washed up former NFL players.  The Jets win in Superbowl 3 decisively proved that this was not the case.  This win brought in a new era of parity between the 2 leagues.  All you have to do is look at the amazing viewership of the NFL and the Superbowl to know that the Jets win was the start of a special new era of professional football.

On 1/31/2024 at 1:45 PM, #27TheDominator said:

"Even without Unitas?"  Earl Morrall was the ******* league MVP.

Unitas was a chicken armed old **** and they would have ****ed them up even worse with him.  That NFL films piece is a ******* joke designed for 8 year olds and does the Jets a huge disservice.

Sabol and Co. admitted as much, they were Colts fans and weren't fans of the AFL. Their NFL Films stuff was purposefully made to make the game seem closer than it was. Jets D and Running Game dominated the whole thing. But who cares? Its 55 years ago... lol

2 hours ago, Alka said:

This is not only the correct response, it is a no-brainer.  The American Football League was looked upon by the National Football League as inferior. It was the NFL's hope and belief that the AFL would only be able to field second rate players and washed up former NFL players.  The Jets win in Superbowl 3 decisively proved that this was not the case.  This win brought in a new era of parity between the 2 leagues.  All you have to do is look at the amazing viewership of the NFL and the Superbowl to know that the Jets win was the start of a special new era of professional football.

You'd think a football historian like BB would appreciate what we've done for the game (and for his salary) but he kicked sand in our faces every chance he could.  lol

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, section314 said:

“ personal foul, roughing the QB, #99. 15 yards, first down.”

Although I was alive, I was a bit too young to remember that disaster - thankfully. 

The first disastrous loss that really hurt my soul was the fake spike game. 

But overall, in terms of emotional pain, nothing will ever top the 98 title game for me because we absolutely would have won the SB if we won that game. 

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Sabol and Co. admitted as much, they were Colts fans and weren't fans of the AFL. Their NFL Films stuff was purposefully made to make the game seem closer than it was. Jets D and Running Game dominated the whole thing. But who cares? Its 55 years ago... lol

Does anybody have all 22?  I keep hearing how Johnny Orr was "wide open" but there were a couple of Jets DBs playing deep on that side.  Were they out of bounds or something?  

On 1/31/2024 at 12:45 PM, #27TheDominator said:

"Even without Unitas?"  Earl Morrall was the ******* league MVP.

Unitas was a chicken armed old **** and they would have ****ed them up even worse with him.  That NFL films piece is a ******* joke designed for 8 year olds and does the Jets a huge disservice.

Dude...I totally agree.

I read a book on the early AFL days.  The Jets victory was clearly historic.  The gap between the leagues was not the big though.  The Jets were a really good team.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Does anybody have all 22?  I keep hearing how Johnny Orr was "wide open" but there were a couple of Jets DBs playing deep on that side.  Were they out of bounds or something?  

I think the Jets picked off Morrall 3 times in that game playing trap coverages. Sample, Beverly, and Hudson were lock down that game.  

50 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I think the Jets picked off Morrall 3 times in that game playing trap coverages. Sample, Beverly, and Hudson were lock down that game.  

Beverly's son coaches (coached?) in Milan.  So did Harry Hamilton's cousin.  I am not sure either of them have much good to say about the organization.  Beverly almost had a fumble recovery too. 

9 hours ago, slimjasi said:

The first disastrous loss that really hurt my soul was the fake spike game. 

I was at that game, and it was even more painful to be in the stadium.  The Jets were in control of the game, and then the wheels fell off.  The fake spike was like a spike in the heart.  Very painful memory, but there have been worse memories, unfortunately.