Costello: The Jets were right to cater to Aaron Rodgers

If you've ever seen Rodgers on McAfee he seems on a power trip. The Jets are financially committed to him big time in 2024. I don't buy that he's totally in charge some of the players they obviously obtained last year because Rodgers was tight with them they either benched or got rid of them. We'll see how it goes and if the Jets win more than 7 games. With the Packers in 2022 they only won 8 and didn't make the playoffs. That won't hack it here. Already the natives are getting restless some even blaming him for being injured last year. Of course if you're going to play that game you could blame half of the starting QBs in the NFL. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, hawk said:

The possibility of Aaron Rodgers is the only silver lining we have going into next year.  

Is he done?  I have no idea, but at this point it's either has something left or he doesn't.  

There is no possibility of another QB, and if we could win 7 games with our dumpster fire of QBs last year, I choose to be optimistic.

Exactly, and the eye test based on how he looked in camp and the preseason against the giants says he still has plenty left. So If for one year we can get some injury luck the Jets will contend for the division, especially with a productive free agency where there’s essentially a mandate for Douglas to plug holes at all costs. 

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I disagree, the eye test was very concerning, he looked lost and froze in the reg season game before he got hurt.

I don’t buy that, seen this mentioned a bunch of times. We have no idea what was actually supposed to happen, only speculate based on freeze frames and even then there’s so many other pre snap variables that change what the thought process is. He didn’t just magically forget how to play football and become “lost”. But we’ll see next year.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I thought it was the right move because the Jets were never, ever going to draft and develop a quarterback on their own. I was aware they’d have to make concessions to Rodgers, but I foolishly underestimate the degree to which this leadership group would shamelessly debase themselves to cater to Rodgers’ every demand. 

Rodgers hasn’t done anything wrong besides get hurt.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Rodgers hasn’t done anything wrong besides get hurt.

3 draft picks lost because he had to blab he was going to be a jet while still under contract with the packers and no deal had been made.

An OC who is not of NFL Quality

About 4 players who are not NFL quality

A cap killing contract in two years.

Rodgers is the master at sucking people in.  Oh he is blameless!  I'm sure he never 'asked' for any of this I'm  sure he had the all deniability he wants.

The Jets brain trust had to beg him to come here and he made the team much worse than it was by being here.

Blame him or not his presence has really hurt this team.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

17 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

3 draft picks lost because he had to blab he was going to be a jet while still under contract with the packers and no deal had been made.

An OC who is not of NFL Quality

About 4 players who are not NFL quality

A cap killing contract in two years.

Rodgers is the master at sucking people in.  Oh he is blameless!  I'm sure he never 'asked' for any of this I'm  sure he had the all deniability he wants.

The Jets brain trust had to beg him to come here and he made the team much worse than it was by being here.

Blame him or not his presence has really hurt this team.

That’s all Woody. The only bad thing was Lazard. Rodgers for as goofy as he is, is still a football player first. 

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets are a dude who paid the premium to rent a classic Bugatti for a week, crashed it on the first day, and aren’t getting it back from the body shop until right before they have to return it. In the meantime, they took out a second mortgage to renovate the garage specifically for the Bugatti, but they hired unlicensed hack contractors to build it and now their best hope is that the garage burns down and takes the house with it.

It’s not even that complex imo. Get Wilson off the team. If they sign Wentz or Flacco or trade for I don’t know some other shem…nothing like this festers. Hell if they kept Mike White! The Niners knew Lance sucked. I posted a video of that goober Jed York getting the news. That would have never been allowed with Woody. Likely politically related because of Zach’s uncle but that will never come out 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets are a dude who paid the premium to rent a classic Bugatti for a week, crashed it on the first day, and aren’t getting it back from the body shop until right before they have to return it. In the meantime, they took out a second mortgage to renovate the garage specifically for the Bugatti, but they hired unlicensed hack contractors to build it and now their best hope is that the garage burns down and takes the house with it.

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, bitonti said:

This thread is top notch snark by the way 

Across the board 

Dr Steve Brule Yes GIF

The thing about negative Nellie's, if you're wrong no one will give a **** what the negative Nelly had to say, and if the negative Nelly is right, they will find something else to be negative about.

It like a NY Jets off-season.  The season ends horribly, there is optimism, then excitement, then dissappoint from the excitement after another failed season.

The cycle continues.

Until it doesn't. 

55 minutes ago, hawk said:

The thing about negative Nellie's, if you're wrong no one will give a **** what the negative Nelly had to say, and if the negative Nelly is right, they will find something else to be negative about.

It like a NY Jets off-season.  The season ends horribly, there is optimism, then excitement, then dissappoint from the excitement after another failed season.

The cycle continues.

Until it doesn't. 

We can't control how bad the Jets are but we can control our reactions to it 

I'm all for hope if it's realistic. Jets fans have this idea like next year is the super bowl because it's like a roulette wheel 

They have to build a program until that happens they have zero chance every year 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I thought it was the right move because the Jets were never, ever going to draft and develop a quarterback on their own. I was aware they’d have to make concessions to Rodgers, but I foolishly underestimate the degree to which this leadership group would shamelessly debase themselves to cater to Rodgers’ every demand. 

I think they could have stood their ground to a far greater extent but just didn't. The Cobb money was terrible.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

We can't control how bad the Jets are but we can control our reactions to it 

I'm all for hope if it's realistic. Jets fans have this idea like next year is the super bowl because it's like a roulette wheel 

They have to build a program until that happens they have zero chance every year 

Well here is where I disagree. They have built a Super Bowl ready defense. It is young and very good.

They have built excellent special teams units.

What they have never done is build an offense that is top 10 in anything close to being a statistical category.

As painful as it is, Aaron Rodgers is their best chance. Sign a WR 2 and fix the offensive line. 

That is the best chance the Jets have.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

LOL

44M for this was the right move?

I’ll hang up and listen

image.jpeg.bcceafa8edeca9d2f1fda9a0506aad3b.jpeg

I think only half of that is guaranteed.  
free agent WRs are very expensive.  Look at all of them that flop, like Kenny Golloday.  
At the time people thought it was an ok deal and that there were other bidders.   There were no other bidders for AR8.  
I am not worried about Lazard this season.  AR8 will have him playing better.  There are others I am worrying about

11 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think only half of that is guaranteed.  
free agent WRs are very expensive.  Look at all of them that flop, like Kenny Golloday.  
At the time people thought it was an ok deal and that there were other bidders.   There were no other bidders for AR8.  
I am not worried about Lazard this season.  AR8 will have him playing better.  There are others I am worrying about

Big story of this season is how bad everyone’s WR2 position was. Lazard makes the same money as MVS in KC and MVS has been every bit as bad as Lazard. Chris Godwin sucked this year. Gabe Davis. Brandin Cooks, Jaylen Waddle, etc. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Interestingly, the Cobb signing was the one I was least uncomfortable with because you’re paying $3 mil for a solid vet who—at worst—could have mentored Garrett Wilson to maximize his time with Rodgers and occasionally help convert a third and eight. Lazard was always a stiff who profiled as a lesser Corey Davis—big body but a bad contested catch guy who snookered the Jets because Rodgers gave him a ton of spite targets in 2022. Billy Turner was always awful. Hackett was always going to be bad because the OC on a Saleh team is effectively the head coach, and Hackett was never going to be that. Boyle was always going to be unplayable. Cook at $7 million when nobody else wanted him was always going to be insane. BUT, you can almost forgive these signings because Rodgers literally gave them the money to pay for them all.
It’s really the rest of it—letting him fly in whenever he felt like it to take over the building, publicly slurping his balls in every interview even as you were trying to let Zach be the QB1 of the team. Zach obviously sucks, but imagine being him, trying to lead the team under adverse circumstances, and your head coach is going on the radio twice a week to talk about how he can’t wait for Rodgers to come back to save the team—which was neverrrrrrrrrrr going to happen. How can you lead like that when the head coach is telling the team that all they have to do is suffer through another few weeks of Zach Wilson before Rodgers limps back into the building? The three week stretch before the BYE—they almost beat the Chiefs, they beat the ass off the Broncos, they beat the Eagles. What’s Saleh talking about over the BYE? How great Aaron Rodgers looks, and how he’s ramping up his recovery and how he’s going to be in Jersey more often because the doctor’s miraculously cleared him to travel. The answer Saleh should have given when asked about Rodgers is the stock: “I’m trying to coach the players that are here and we’ll cross that bridge with Aaron when we come to it.” 

Agree w/ all of this, the only take I'd challenge is Lazard.  He was widely considered the best WR in FA and I distinctly remember many people on this board advocating for Lazard, before Rodgers was even in the picture.  Sportrac had him rated as the #1 WR in FA over the older guys like Theilen and Hopkins and wrongly over the only similar player in Meyers...but he was being touted as the best available emerging WR in a pretty sh*tty year for FA WR's.  I truly dont think they ever even planned on playing Cobb but for a few early games on 3rd down situations.  I think he was really here as a player/coach and someone who teach the WR's about what Rodgers demands out of his WR's. 

• Upvote 2