Newsy podcast interview with Connor Hughes. Disgusting free agent targets, organizational delusions, and brutal Zach Wilson hammering

6 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

can someone please point me to the last thing that Hughes broke regarding the jets? i mean appreciate his funny tweets mid game, and madden updates, but who gives a flying **** what he thinks? none of them have any insider info...they are worse then half the people here.

He just broke that Hogan was gone 

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He just broke that Hogan was gone 

ok sorry to move the goalpost, but something to substantiate that we should care what he thinks about the jets FA plans, not FO people who got fired a month ago.

1 minute ago, k-met57 said:

ok sorry to move the goalpost, but something to substantiate that we should care what he thinks about the jets FA plans, not FO people who got fired a month ago.

Funny thing is that he broke this news weeks after it happened.  For a team consumed with leaks this year the gestapo sure plugged that one. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/turn-on-the-jets-new-york-jets/id1035386921?i=1000644517738

highlights:

—Saleh and co are very, very aware that they’re going to be fired if they’re not competing for a title next year.

—However, they also believe that Rodgers will fix 90% of their problems.

—Zach Wilson, at $5.5 million, has no market and will probably end up on a practice squad next year. The league knows that he’s talented, but makes everyone else worse around him. Interesting compare/contrast with Darnold.

—Hughes thinks Douglas will go big game hunting for receivers, but will have to settle for lesser lights because Higgins, Evans, Adams, etc probably won’t get to the open market.

—Hughes says he “heard” the Jets are going to target Marquez Valdes Scantling in free agency. Parkinson says he heard (at the senior bowl) the Jets will also target James Brewer of the Titans, who is a 6’1, 274 lb center who gave up six sacks last year. True dumpster diving. 

None of this seems unrealistic or inaccurate to my ears, knowing the JD regime to-date.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Beerfish said:

One of the most concerning names for me is Calvin Ridley.  

He has the type of issues that could crop up in an instant and cost him a year without actually being injured.

We are going to massively over pay  for him.

The placate Rodgers moves from last year made things so much tougher for this team.

I hope Douglas at least drafts a few good players this draft because next year is setting itself up for a huge disappointment and starting all over with a house cleaning.

I actually think Cal Ridley is the best option.  At least he has talent and he's still relatively young.

(Higgins and Evans won't be available.)

I don't think the Jags were using him correctly.

Seemed like they were calling almost exclusively go-routes or deep back-shoulders along the boundary, as if they were using him to clear out space underneath for Kirk and Engram.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I actually think Cal Ridley is the best option.  At least he has talent and he's still relatively young.

Seemed like they were calling almost exclusively go-routes or deep back-shoulders along the boundary, as if they were using him to clear out space underneath for Kirk and Engram.

Suspended for a year for gambling

Had to take a mental health break from the NFL

He is a risk, he has ability but his issues scare me.

1 minute ago, SouthernJet said:

if 2nd tier I'd take samuel boyd or pittman

I'd say Pittman is probably 1st tier at this point and I can;t see the colts letting him get away,

Samuel and Boyd yes those might be good 2nd tier targets

This team better draft at least two WRs this coming draft no matter who they bring in.

3 hours ago, bicketybam said:
4 hours ago, Augustiniak said:
Saleh and jd are so dependent on rodgers now that they pretty much have to go around saying he’s going to fix most of the issues on offense.  There was no real plan B last year and this year they don’t have a 2nd round pick.  
Also interesting that amidst all the rumors, there’s nothing about a backup qb.  Even if rodgers plays well this year, he’s going to miss games.  It can’t be taken for granted that the jets can sign a decent veteran qb to back up rodgers.  Do they really expect Simien to be able to win games next year?  Are they willing to bank their jobs on that?  

Siemian won't be QB2 next year. Zero chance.

Only way is if he has any college eligibility left and gets into the transfer portal ASAP. 

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What’s scary about Ridley is that the Jags have nothing at receiver and they’re happy to let Ridley walk 

Talk about guys on the hot seat, Pederson has to be buying extra sunscreen after gagging away the division.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, T0mShane said:

—Zach Wilson, at $5.5 million, has no market and will probably end up on a practice squad next year. The league knows that he’s talented, but makes everyone else worse around him. Interesting compare/contrast with Darnold.

He is the #2 pick in the draft. There will be a market

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

It was a weird situation. I only know this because he was on a fantasy team, but there was a crazy split that had to do with the Zay jones injury.

8 games / 28 catches for 345 without Zay jones

9 games / 48 catches for 671 with Zay jones

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Completely agree with this and they were designing him to just run on go routes. Plus who wants to catch passes from Tall Zach Wilson?

7 hours ago, bicketybam said:
8 hours ago, Augustiniak said:
Saleh and jd are so dependent on rodgers now that they pretty much have to go around saying he’s going to fix most of the issues on offense.  There was no real plan B last year and this year they don’t have a 2nd round pick.  
Also interesting that amidst all the rumors, there’s nothing about a backup qb.  Even if rodgers plays well this year, he’s going to miss games.  It can’t be taken for granted that the jets can sign a decent veteran qb to back up rodgers.  Do they really expect Simien to be able to win games next year?  Are they willing to bank their jobs on that?  

Siemian won't be QB2 next year. Zero chance.

JD said they are in market for a vet qb.

21 hours ago, T0mShane said:

e Higgins, Evans, Adams, etc probably won’t get to the open market.

—Hughes says he “heard” the Jets are going to target Marquez Valdes Scantling in free agency. 

This would be enough for me to check out in March TBH... you have to be ineffective on an Olympic level to even look at MVS if you're JD -- given the way his attempts to address WR have gone. 

i hate football now, thanks Jets.

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I think that is the type of player we will be able to sign and would be a good stop gap for a year or two.

I agree as Smith opens up draft day possibilities for solving our OT starter/ depth with also adding a top tackle selection  at 10 or for trading back and still adding OL depth. Win,win

9 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Yeah, there might be a GM out there who hasn’t seen Zach play a single snap in an actual regular season game yet

Whether Jets fans want to admit it or not, Zach is immensely talented and clearly played for a completely dysfunctional team. Whether it turns out to be true or not there will be teams that think they can fix Zach. Jets fans just cant get pas their hatred. Even when he is gone people will still post and start threads to hate on him regularly.

• Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

Whether Jets fans want to admit it or not, Zach is immensely talented and clearly played for a completely dysfunctional team. Whether it turns out to be true or not there will be teams that think they can fix Zach. Jets fans just cant get pas their hatred. Even when he is gone people will still post and start threads to hate on him regularly.

The webmaster in me:  We can only hope!!!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jetkwondo said:

I agree as Smith opens up draft day possibilities for solving our OT starter/ depth with also adding a top tackle selection  at 10 or for trading back and still adding OL depth. Win,win

If they get a LT in free agency and like you said either draft a RT at 10, or trade down i'd be loving life.

Carter Warren being the 3rd tackle going into the season would be huge.

In a trade down scenario it would be amazing if they could walk away with a tackle and a guard before day two is over.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

If they get a LT in free agency and like you said either draft a RT at 10, or trade down i'd be loving life.

Carter Warren being the 3rd tackle going into the season would be huge.

In a trade down scenario it would be amazing if they could walk away with a tackle and a guard before day two is over.

How about a quality tackle and a guard before day two is over plus a Puka Nacua type WR in the 4th round?  :)

• Upvote 1