Is Patrick Mahomes really better than Aaron?

Just now, PaulHolmes1962 said:

Mahomes obviously has the rings, but clearly Mahomes has a big advantage being paired with Reid compared to Mike McCarthy. 

I still think I take Aaron over Mahomes. I don’t think KC wants any part of Aaron and the Jets next year. 

Holmer 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Rodgers is an underachiever career wise re winning and is not even remotely in mahomes league for being a big game QB.

It's not close.  I'd take Mahomes over Rodgers at any and every stage of their career.

The truth hurts, but you are correct. As a hockey, you’ll appreciate this…. your post is the same argument that I use when my Ranger fan friends used to argue that Lundqvist was as good as Marty Brodeur.😁

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Biggs said:

One of the best organizations in football couldn't wait to dump Rodgers so they could start Jordan Love and find out if he could play.  

And the Packers duly went from 8-9 to 9-8. Easier to reset and compete in a weak NFC conference. 

The Jets don't have that luxury, they are trying to compete with the brilliance of Mahomes, and share a conference with other potentially great QBs like Allen, Burrows, Jackson, Herbert, Stroud, etc.

It's an arms race in the AFC, with Mahomes as the yardstick. 

2 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

And the Packers duly went from 8-9 to 9-8. Easier to reset and compete in a weak NFC conference. 

The Jets don't have that luxury, they are trying to compete with the brilliance of Mahomes, and share a conference with other potentially great QBs like Allen, Burrows, Jackson, Herbert, Stroud, etc.

It's an arms race in the AFC, with Mahomes as the yardstick. 

Yet GB beat both the Chiefs and the Chargers during the regular season.

Yes, Mahomes is better.

But watching yesterday does give a bit more forgiveness, at least for me, on the Rodgers trade.

Of course when he got injured we all thought this was a disaster, but it does seem like there are so few quarterbacks actually capable of winning a Super Bowl, and Rodgers is at least one of those guys (perhaps on the fringe a la Stafford, Eli) - but still in there. 

Purdy is probably closer to Cousins/Dak, and hell they’re damn good players that deserve respect, but Mahomes just came alive in the fourth quarter (+ OT) and was unstoppable against a dope d-line, Fred Warner and with an objectively sub-par cast around him.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, PaulHolmes1962 said:

Mahomes obviously has the rings, but clearly Mahomes has a big advantage being paired with Reid compared to Mike McCarthy. 

I still think I take Aaron over Mahomes. I don’t think KC wants any part of Aaron and the Jets next year. 

didn't read the other comments but the answer is 100% yes. Mahomes is different. You can say he has Andy Ried, and yes that helps, but Andy Ried isn't driving the ball down the field with time expiring to win games. Mahomes still has some issues starting off hot, but when you are that good at end of games, it doesn't matter. His overall skill set + the clutch gene really makes this a no brainer. Mahomes is on pace to catch tom brady, which just a few years ago, seemed like a feat that would never happen again.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Yet GB beat both the Chiefs and the Chargers during the regular season.

and lost to the lowly Raiders, Broncos and Steelers. 

The 2023 Green Bay Packers are a seven win team if they had to play in the AFC. No better than the Rodgers-less Jets. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, K_O_Brien said:

and lost to the lowly Raiders, Broncos and Steelers. 

The 2023 Green Bay Packers are a seven win team if they had to play in the AFC. No better than the Rodgers-less Jets. 

KC lost to the Raiders so did the Jets.  The Steelers made the playoffs from the rough and tumble AFC.  

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, PaulHolmes1962 said:

Similar to Brady, Mahomes benefits from being with Reid.  Do not get me wrong he is in the G.O.A.T. conversation.  The offense was stagnant until Reid figured the 49ers out.  Then like the previous two games against Buffalo and Baltimore.  The Chiefs effortlessly went up and down the field.  

I do not know where I heard it.  I think a Patriots podcast.  

Anyways, they were comparing Brady - Mahomes - Rogers.  They said all three play it safe when the game is still in the balance.  However, when plays need to be made or you lose, Brady and Mahomes will try to make plays and be a little more riskier than Rodgers.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

Similar to Brady, Mahomes benefits from being with Reid.  Do not get me wrong he is in the G.O.A.T. conversation.  The offense was stagnant until Reid figured the 49ers out.  Then like the previous two games against Buffalo and Baltimore.  The Chiefs effortlessly went up and down the field.  

I do not know where I heard it.  I think a Patriots podcast.  

Anyways, they were comparing Brady - Mahomes - Rogers.  They said all three play it safe when the game is still ion the balance.  However, when plays need to be made or you lose, Brady and Mahomes will try to make plays and be a little more riskier than Rodgers.

Rodgers insisted the the Jets hire Hackett.  Rodgers isn't coachable.  That's one of the reasons the Packers wanted to dump his ass. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

KC lost to the Raiders so did the Jets.  The Steelers made the playoffs from the rough and tumble AFC.  

The NFC wasn't very good this year. Even the 49ers had a losing record v the AFC. Easier for the Packers to make the transition form Rodgers to Love, whilst hoping to compete, which they have. 

The Jets took a more aggressive short-term approach, in trying to challenge in a more competitive conference. It didn't work out, but the logic was sound, until Rodgers blew his knee after four plays. 

From a cerebral standpoint I think Aaron is the best in the nfl, it’s all about whether the health can keep up. Last two years for him were injury plagued with the  Achilles and broken thumb in 2022. The two healthy years before that he was still in god mode. Until Aaron has a down year where he’s healthy you have to give him the benefit of the doubt. 

10 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Rodgers was owned by Eli Manning in Green Bay with a chance to go to the SB.  Rodgers shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Mahomes.  Even though I just did.

uhhhh brady was owned twice by eli with a chance to win the SB. Logic doesn't hold up.

Regardless, it's Mahomes > everyone.

7 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

uhhhh brady was owned twice by eli with a chance to win the SB. Logic doesn't hold up.

Regardless, it's Mahomes > everyone.

I've seen everyone except Otto Graham who could even be in consideration.  I thought Mahomes was the best I ever saw at the end of his second year.  He's done nothing to change my mind except continue to handle the pressure even though he is no longer a kid having fun.  He's a man with the pressure and responsability to carry his team.  He's amazing.  Great talent and mentally tough as nails.

Eli owned Brady on a neutral field.  He owned Rodgers in GB.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Rodgers insisted the the Jets hire Hackett.  Rodgers isn't coachable.  That's one of the reasons the Packers wanted to dump his ass. 

Not arguing that.

I am talking about him being risk adverse when talking Mahomes vs Rodgers.  QB Ability?  Rodgers.  Killer instinct?  Mahomes.

Regarding your point, is it uncoachable or arrogant?  I would lean more towards arrogant.  McCarthy is a good, but hardly seems brilliant.  LaFleur is barely older than A-A-Ron.  I would think A-A-Ron is "WTF do these guys know?".  Hackett is someone he can manipulate.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

Not arguing that.

I am talking about him being risk adverse when talking Mahomes vs Rodgers.  QB Ability?  Rodgers.  Killer instinct?  Mahomes.

Regarding your point, is it uncoachable or arrogant?  I would lean more towards arrogant.  McCarthy is a good, but hardly seems brilliant.  LaFleur is barely older than A-A-Ron.  I would think A-A-Ron is "WTF do these guys know?".  Hackett is someone he can manipulate.

To be fair, he had the most success under Hackett. 

Rodgers never got the “can’t win the big one” moniker because he won the Super Bowl in his 2nd year as a starter but the guy has lost the NFC Title Game four times, has lost at home as the MVP and #1 seed three times, and despite not having another championship winning rival in the conference during most of his tenure on top, only made it to one Super Bowl.

We evaluate our best athletes on post season success. Mahomes is in a different category than Rodgers, TBH. Mahomes is with Brady and Montana. Rodgers is with Peyton and Marino.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, PaulHolmes1962 said:

The delusion is already off the charts. This offseason is gonna be wild.

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

To be fair, he had the most success under Hackett. 

Not true. He had his success under Matt LaFleur. Hackett got coffee.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Rodgers never got the “we can’t win the big one” moniker because he won the Super Bowl in his 2nd year as a starter but the guy has lost the NFC Title Game four times, has lost at home as the #1 seed three times, and despite not having another championship winning rival in the conference during most of his tenure on top, only made it to one Super Bowl.

We evaluate our best athletes on post season success. Mahomes is in a different category than Rodgers, TBH. Mahomes is with Brady and Montana. Rodgers is with Peyton and Marino.

The Packers lost those games. Not Aaron. 

59 minutes ago, section314 said:

The truth hurts, but you are correct. As a hockey, you’ll appreciate this…. your post is the same argument that I use when my Ranger fan friends used to argue that Lundqvist was as good as Marty Brodeur.😁

A bit of a BS argument since Brodeur had a loaded team in front of him, including terrific defensemen.

11 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

The delusion is already off the charts. This offseason is gonna be wild.

Not true. He had his success under Matt LaFleur. Hackett got coffee.

When Hackett wasn't there to get coffee in 2022, they took a pretty big step back on offense.  Some of that was Davante being gone, but they scored 80 less points.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PaulHolmes1962 said:

I think we have either the next to get banned, our next JN Captain, or Rookie of the Year in @PaulHolmes1962 

I just can’t decide which?

• Haha 2