49ers Fire DC

After the first few runs the 9ers run game became very , well , pedestrian 

31 carries for 110 yards with a long of 11.  

They even threw it to CMC 8 times. 

the protection breakdowns did them in and spags did it again, getting quick pressure on key downs. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Not even sure what you're going on about. Its not even an arguement, its what happened. What you're saying backs up that the running game was the key to their success. It's what everybody is criticizing him for in the game when he went away from it.

Go look at SF drives after they opened up a 10-0 lead. Chiefs score a FG next drive to make it 10-3.

First drive after: 20 seconds left in the half, 1 run play to take it to half time. Not enough time to do anything so just run the clock out, that's fine, not worthy of discussion.

After the half:

First drive after the half - SF starts at Chiefs 44 after an interception. 3 pass plays and they go 3 and out and don't take advantage of the turnover.

Next drive - 3 Straight pass plays and go 3 and out

Next drive - 1 rush, 2 pass plays, 3 and out 

3 drives, 1 rush, 8 pass. Next time niners take the field they have now blown the lead, lost all momentum and start rushing again. 

And if you're referring to the third time comment, that's about him doing this in 3 superbowls and blowing double digit leads in all of them.

You said he got the lead back and he stopped running the ball.  Whatever he did after the Chiefs TD, it was pretty much working.  He had 3 bad drives in the 3rd quarter.  The Chiefs only took the lead because they spit up the punt.  You are complaining about 9 plays, when the had the lead.  Every time the O had the ball and needed to score, they answered the bell.  The D on the other hand spit up the lead every time.  I assume the firing had more to do with philosophical conflict rather than performance, but people sh*tting on Shanahan for that game are off base.  Like Purdy, it wasn't perfect, but it was good enough the D and special teams let them down.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I'll never really understand this sh*t.  I get that fanbases and ownership aren't going to be happy if they don't win, but only one team is going to win the Super Bowl.  That becomes even harder when you're going up against maybe the greatest QB of all time, in his prime.  Making it to the game alone is a pretty big accomplishment, even for a team with as much expectations as SF.  I mean I get Shanahan wanting to change things up if it's just not clicking between him and Wilks, but anyone saying Shanahan should be fired?  Yeah I don't get it.  

15 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I would like to refer ya'll over to the Jets defense thread started by the wise Beerfish saying why the saleh ulbirch system is poor, passive, bad in big moments and not using the real talent of the players at your disposal.

You can thank me with likes and sympathies.

Thank you Beer Fish, thank you, 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

You said he got the lead back and he stopped running the ball.  Whatever he did after the Chiefs TD, it was pretty much working.  He had 3 bad drives in the 3rd quarter.  The Chiefs only took the lead because they spit up the punt.  You are complaining about 9 plays, when the had the lead.  Every time the O had the ball and needed to score, they answered the bell.  The D on the other hand spit up the lead every time.  I assume the firing had more to do with philosophical conflict rather than performance, but people sh*tting on Shanahan for that game are off base.  Like Purdy, it wasn't perfect, but it was good enough the D and special teams let them down.

Towards the end of the 3rd, KC had just 6 points and were forced to punt again. All the ST unit had to do was not fumble away the punt. It was a huge momentum shift. Mahomes is pretty hard to keep out of the end zone all game, and they were doing it until the punt barely touched that guy’s foot and then the returner not just falling on it after that instead of bobbling away an attempted scoop up. 

We all saw the TD after that, plus of course ending, but the D did hold the Chiefs offense to under 20 points in regulation. The 9ers offense needed to score 20+ and didn’t. I can get past the missed XP because KC wasn't going to kick a FG down by 4 points & may have outright taken a 3 point lead instead of tying it to end regulation.

Anyway the opportunities were there. All 3 phases on SF have something to answer for for that loss.

I didn’t care who won myself. I just wanted to see an exciting game and I did. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Maybe Shanahan should take a long hard look at his play calling in OT at the goal line when they had to settle for a field goal

If you watch the replay, the right guard goes the wrong way, allowing the KC defender to get right in Purdy's face, unblocked.

Aiyuk is WIDE OPEN.   If the guard makes even a token block, it is an easy touch down.  It wasn't the play call, it was the guard thinking he was on the Jets.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, PFSIKH said:

This.

Shanny was pissed when he called that same defense that was gashed.

I remember watching this and thinking ohhhhhh that's what a real head coach looks like. Even though I think Shanahan blew multiple Super Bowls I still know that he is a great coach.

19 minutes ago, chirorob said:

If you watch the replay, the right guard goes the wrong way, allowing the KC defender to get right in Purdy's face, unblocked.

Aiyuk is WIDE OPEN.   If the guard makes even a token block, it is an easy touch down.  It wasn't the play call, it was the guard thinking he was on the Jets.

Wasn't that the guy that was in because Feliciano got hurt?  See how damaging it can be to be running backup OL out there?

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

19 points allowed in 4 quarters against the Chiefs in the SuperBowl.  Wilks didn't deserve the axe

Didn't Shanahan say he anticipated all the coaches would be back on Tuesday and then fire the guy on Wednesday?  I am assuming that something happened in the exit interviews.

13 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Didn't Shanahan say he anticipated all the coaches would be back on Tuesday and then fire the guy on Wednesday?  I am assuming that something happened in the exit interviews.

Technically, did he lie?  They were back and then he was not.

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

I was refering to the run with McCaffery but yeah not all the calls were bad

• Upvote 1

I think Dre getting hurt before halftime screwed them. Gave Andy a chance to go in at half and make a few minor adjustments which allowed Kelce to get going.

The muffed punt and missed XP were the biggest reason they lost. If anyone needed to be the escapegoat, it should have been the ST Coordinator.

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Those drives were literally the difference in the game.

Every other drive they had a healthy mix of rush and pass and it was working.

The drives after they opened up a double digit lead they stopped rushing. It resulted in them losing all momentum and letting the chiefs come back.

Getting the ball at the 44 and going 3 and out because you abandoned the strength of your offense is bad play calling, plain and simple. Getting a TD there and making it 17-3 changes the entire game. He wants to play hero ball and be the smartest man in the room, and he has 0 rings to show for his arrogance.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

The drives after they opened up a double digit lead they stopped rushing. It resulted in them losing all momentum and letting the chiefs come back.

Getting the ball at the 44 and going 3 and out because you abandoned the strength of your offense is bad play calling, plain and simple. Getting a TD there and making it 17-3 changes the entire game. He wants to play hero ball and be the smartest man in the room, and he has 0 rings to show for his arrogance.

Yes.  Shanahan is a bad playcaller. You nailed it.  He had three bad drives.  It was an OT game.  Literally everything was the difference in the game.  Personally, I'd start with a highly drafted kicker lowballing a PAT.  The simple fact is that the offense ALWAYS left the field with a lead.  Therefore, I do not fault them for this mess.  Were they perfect?  Nope.  Want to harp on that?  Fair enough.  I personally harp on less all the time.

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I remember watching this and thinking ohhhhhh that's what a real head coach looks like. Even though I think Shanahan blew multiple Super Bowls I still know that he is a great coach.

Yeah, this had happened earlier in the year too. 

5 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

McCafrey was averaging under 4 YPC. 

11 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Shanahan seems to be a guy who will not take responsibility. 1) players didn’t know OT rules? “I told my coaches to tell them.” 2) why take ball 1st in or? “ I talked to the analytic guys.” As Truman said, “ the buck stops here.” It appears that the only time he would be the smartest guy in the room if he was in solitary confinement.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yes.  Shanahan is a bad playcaller. You nailed it.  He had three bad drives.  It was an OT game.  Literally everything was the difference in the game.  Personally, I'd start with a highly drafted kicker lowballing a PAT.  The simple fact is that the offense ALWAYS left the field with a lead.  Therefore, I do not fault them for this mess.  Were they perfect?  Nope.  Want to harp on that?  Fair enough.  I personally harp on less all the time.

So you scoff at 9 plays making a difference but want to blame 1 play? Makes sense.

Where did I say he was a bad play caller? Even good play callers can have bad games/drives.

7 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

So you scoff at 9 plays making a difference but want to blame 1 play? Makes sense.

Where did I say he was a bad play caller? Even good play callers can have bad games/drives.

McCafreys 22 carries in the SB tied for his season high fwiw. They tried to run the ball. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

He did have bad drives.  Even good play callers have bad drives every game.  

Think you missed my point about the PAT.  When the game ends tied, any play makes a difference.  It was 9 plays and one of them was the run you were calling for.  I am not saying that he was good all the time, I am saying that a few bad drives are to be expected and they were playing with the lead.  Maybe they, in particular Purdy, were being safe?  Can't say.  As far as play calls, we should consider that on their first drive they got in FG range and McCaffrey fumbled on one of these "runs that got them there."  In OT Feliciano's replacement blew an assignment or it is probably a TD.  We are not going to agree on this, so I will quit now before I get even more long winded and rant-y.  I will try to let you have the last word, but please keep in mind it will be difficult

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

You act like those drives LOST them the game and they didn’t. Of course it would have been beneficial to go up 17-6.

Both great defenses were trading blows. Look at what the Chiefs did on those same possessions:

INT

3 & out

FG

3 & out

And then you’re into the 4th quarter with a lead and the ball.