Brissett *cough *cough

2 hours ago, varjet said:

I know this view is unpopular, but I don't think the Jets have the money to spend $10mm on Jacoby Brissett.  

But what could be interesting is to bring him in as a back up bridge to hold the fort replacement.  So if he can be a backup at a low cap hit in 2024, his cap hit can be backended for when he is the successor starter to AR8.   We would have a bridge QB while we look for a new one.

But that plan is destined NOT to work because AR8 is not going to tolerate having someone around who wants to take his 2025 spot.  I don't think there is anyway the Jets can afford AR8 in 2025.  

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

What makes you think he'll cost $10 million?

His last three contracts, all one-year deals, were for $5M, $4.65M and $8M, respectively.

You think he's getting a huge raise to unquestioned-backup-to-Rodgers vs. the "Very Possible he Started Week 1" deal the Commanders gave him last year?

He's likely to take the most money offered sure, but in a city where he'll get a chance to play/start.  Rodgers 2023's Achilles aside, that most likely place isn't likely to be NY as a Jet.  

I think the bigger issue than money is that he'll probably want to go somewhere where he has a chance at competing for a starting job, or at the very least, go somewhere where the starter is not as entrenched as Aaron Rodgers is. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I think the bigger issue than money is that he'll probably want to go somewhere where he has a chance at competing for a starting job, or at the very least, go somewhere where the starter is not as entrenched as Aaron Rodgers is. 

It all depends.

More money can buy a guys ambitions down.  If you gave me $1-2 million more than the team with a maybe, kinda-sorta "opportunity" to spot start or start a few weeks before the new draft pick takes over, that $1-2 million extra looks awful good.  Money buys alot, never forget that.  Especially the later you get in a guys career.

And lets also keep in mind, Aaron Rodgers is NOT "entrenched" here.  He's a year-to-year huge "maybe" at this point.  Anyone presuming he's a safe starter here in 25', 26' or beyond is fooling themselves, or at best engaging in very wishful thinking, no matter what Rodgers may say or intimate publicly.

It's very possible any backup QB we sign could start for us this year (if our 41 year old, hurt in 22, hurt in 23 QB gets hurt again in 24') and that that QB may not even be a Jet in 2025.

Ultimately, I think this is all moot, because I simply don't believe JD will sign a legitimate backup.  I very much feel like he's gonna do what he always does, and sign a cheap C or D-tier guy he likes, and call it a day.  Nobody of the Brissett or Minshew level, but more Siemians, Boyles or Rypiens, maybe a half step better, but only maybe.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

And lets also keep in mind, Aaron Rodgers is NOT "entrenched" here.  He's a year-to-year huge "maybe" at this point.  Anyone presuming he's a safe starter here in 25', 26' or beyond is fooling themselves, or at best engaging in very wishful thinking, no matter what Rodgers may say or intimate publicly.

I don't mean entrenched beyond this year, I mean entrenched, as in: "if you want to play QB in 2024, you need Aaron to get hurt"

Brissett is coming off of a really impressive year as a backup (with very limited opportunities, of course). If I were him, I'd go somewhere I thought I had a chance to outshine the starter in practice and actually get rewarded with playing time because of it. 

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Ultimately, I think this is all moot, because I simply don't believe JD will sign a legitimate backup.  I very much feel like he's gonna do what he always does, and sign a cheap C or D-tier guy he likes, and call it a day.  Nobody of the Brissett or Minshew level, but more Siemians, Boyles or Rypiens, maybe a half step better, but only maybe.

ooof.

That would take some big balls after what happened this year. But it wouldn't shock me. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DJF71 said:

This regime shouldn't be allowed to like a QB. They have failed on every single one they have chosen or brought in. 

Every single one?   This regime brought in Wilson, White, Flacco, Johnson, Boyle and Siemian.  They failed all of them?  Wow.  I guess everybody else has failed White, Flacco, Johnson and Boyle too, so maybe we are in solid company.  I assume they will fail on Rodgers but that ship certainly still has a slight chance.  Two of them did better than expected, two did as expected and two did worse than expected.  I don't see the big deal.  

26 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
38 minutes ago, Matt39 said:
Zach last year 

When did he publicly bash him last year? You live in the same world as Walter Mitty.

He had similar comments last year as he had this year. “We need a QB.” The actual quote was “the issue is QB performance” from Feb 2023. I mean that’s a shot at Wilson is it not?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He had similar comments last year as he had this year. “We need a QB.”

Eh, pretty big difference between what he said last year and this year, IMO. 

He didn't just say we needed a QB this year, he flat out said that we didn't have a backup QB on the roster - which was Zach Wilson's role with the team. That's pretty harsh as far as publicly bashing your own player goes. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

When is the last time he publicly bashed a player and then ended up bringing him back? 

That has to be a short list. 

Can we get Woody to bash himself publicly so he won't bring himself back next year? Shouldn't be hard to trick him into doing it. Maybe have a reporter blurt out "WorthlessIdiotNepoBaby says what?"

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I don't mean entrenched beyond this year, I mean entrenched, as in: "if you want to play QB in 2024, you need Aaron to get hurt"

Hardly an unrealistic possibility at this point.

Brissett is coming off of a really impressive year as a backup (with very limited opportunities, of course).

18 of 23 (78.3%) for 224 Passing Yards, 3 TD to 0 INT over 3 games (0 starts) isn't going to get him a starters job or a big contract, IMO.

If I were him, I'd go somewhere I thought I had a chance to outshine the starter in practice and actually get rewarded with playing time because of it. 

That's very easy to say when it's not you potentially getting the additional millions of dollars a team with less obvious starting opportunity may offer.

Also, factoring in that the 2024 Draft appears to have 3-5 first round QB's, where exactly is this "place where he'll outshine the starter and get to start"?  He failed to do so in 2023 vs. Howell, and he 100% was given a chance to do so.  

I just think his opportunities are far less than folks think, in terms of starting.  He's a backup, he's going to get a backups contract and a backups role wherever he goes.  If he goes to a team with a draft pick QB, he may get a start or two to start the year, but that's about it.  He's not going to turn down more money just for that.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

18 of 23 (78.3%) for 224 Passing Yards, 3 TD to 0 INT over 3 games (0 starts) isn't going to get him a starters job or a big contract, IMO.

That's very easy to say when it's not you potentially getting the additional millions of dollars a team with less obvious starting opportunity may offer.

Also, factoring in that the 2024 Draft appears to have 3-5 first round QB's, where exactly is this "place where he'll outshine the starter and get to start"?  

Not sure - and you could be right that there isn’t a place like that available - I guess I’m just a big fan of Brissett and have been for a couple of years - he really impressed me when we played Cleveland in 2022.

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Agreed 

22 minutes ago, Warfish said:

He failed to do so in 2023 vs. Howell, and he 100% was given a chance to do so.  

Good point. Guys like Brissett will usually get “beat out” by young guys with potential - even if they don’t deserve to be.  

23 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I just think his opportunities are far less than folks think, in terms of starting.  He's a backup, he's going to get a backups contract and a backups role wherever he goes.  If he goes to a team with a draft pick QB, he may get a start or two to start the year, but that's about it.  He's not going to turn down more money just for that.

You’re probably right, but I do think it comes down to the details and how much more or less we are talking about.

Either way, as I go through the teams in my head, I admit that I can’t really find a great spot for him to be the likely starter for the entire year. As you say, it would have to be a team that drafted a guy and wants to sit him for a bit.

I think you are right about this. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He had similar comments last year as he had this year. “We need a QB.” The actual quote was “the issue is QB performance” from Feb 2023. I mean that’s a shot at Wilson is it not?

It is - but the company line last year was that “Zach needs a reset,” and once we got Rodgers, it became “a great opportunity to sit and learn behind Aaron.” what Woody said went in line with all that. 

this year, woody implied that Zach wasn’t even worthy of being called a backup. I just think woody tipped his hand with that one . . . (Which was kinda stupid, btw) 

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

It is - but the company line last year was that “Zach needs a reset,” and once we got Rodgers, it became “a great opportunity to sit and learn behind Aaron.” what Woody said went in line with all that. 

this year, woody implied that Zach wasn’t even worthy of being called a backup. I just think woody tipped his hand with that one . . . (Which was kinda stupid, btw) 

I assume we’ll get an update on it when Douglas presumably speaks at the combine. 

50 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You guys who focus on QB W-L record in a team game are freaking weirdos.

@Beerfish

W and L are meaningless for QBs we all know this.  rushing yards ala Justin fields are FAR more important than winning games.

Stats>>>>>Wins>>>>>>playoffs>>>>>superbowls.

Stats are be all.....end all

• Thumb Down 1

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

W and L are meaningless for QBs we all know this.  rushing yards ala Justin fields are FAR more important than winning games.

This is a strawman. No one is saying that QB stats are more important than wins, but rather, that they are more relevant to QB comparisons

The thing is, wins are a team statistic. 

So, when you are comparing individuals, it makes sense to focus more on individual  metrics like completion %, etc.

• Post of the Week 2

Not sure - and you could be right that there isn’t a place like that available - I guess I’m just a big fan of Brissett and have been for a couple of years - he really impressed me when we played Cleveland in 2022.

Agreed 

Good point. Guys like Brissett will usually get “beat out” by young guys with potential - even if they don’t deserve to be.  

You’re probably right, but I do think it comes down to the details and how much more or less we are talking about.

Either way, as I go through the teams in my head, I admit that I can’t really find a great spot for him to be the likely starter for the entire year. As you say, it would have to be a team that drafted a guy and wants to sit him for a bit.

I think you are right about this. 

My TLDR here is one I think you'll like: 

If JD wants Brissett, I truly believe there is nothing stopping the Jets from signing Brissett.

But that's the real question, does JD want him (or some equivalent, say Minshew)......I have my doubts.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

W-L is a stat you know.  It's just very low on the "meaningful" scale because, again, its a team game and there have been quite a few QBs who have performed well and are highly regarded despite not winning a lot of games. 

Think Matthew Stafford.  W-L record of 74-90-1 in Detroit.  Finally went to a good team, and BOOM, team won a Super Bowl.  You were probably like "Stafford doesn't win, why sign him?"  

And didn't you want Derek Carr this past offseason?  Dude has a 72-87 career record.  Per your simplistic take, he sucks, huh.  

Going back further, Vince Lombardi called Sonny Jurgensen the best QB he'd ever seen, and that "If we would have had Sonny Jurgensen in Green Bay, we'd never have lost a game."  Career record:  107-103-8. 

Our own Joe Namath went 62-63-4.  Terrible QB!

Others:

• Dan Fouts (88-92-1)
  • Fran Tarkenton (126-114-6)
  • Warren Moon (105-108) 
  • Boomer Esiason (80-93)
  • Eli Manning (117-117)
  • Jim Hart (87-88-5)
  • Archie Manning (35-101-3)
  • Vinny Testaverde (90-123-1)

They sucked!!!

• Upvote 2

This is a strawman. No one is saying that QB stats are more important than wins, but rather, that they are more relevant to QB comparisons

The thing is, wins are a team statistic. 

So, when you are comparing individuals, it makes sense to focus more on individual  metrics like completion %, etc.

No one?  You have not been following jetsfan80 and his on going opinions.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

QB stats are indeed more important than QB wins when comparing QBs.  Arguing otherwise would lead you to the conclusion that all of the QBs I just listed above sucked.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

They are more important for comparing individual players, of course! 

otherwise, you get silly arguments like Sanchez was 4-2 in the playoffs, while Marino was only 8-10. Therefore . . . 

• Post of the Week 2

17 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

IMO this is the best possible outcome for our backup QB in 2024

I think Brissett is the best option.  Gardner Minshew is a very good option but I'm not sure who I think is better between him and Jake Browning.

Btw, Woody just can't keep his stupid mouth shut.

"And I think it's going to be for a historically high number for a backup QB. Woody told Coz they're going to pay the backup so that immediately took negotiating out of the hands of Joe Douglas and put it all the way on the agent."

5 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Eh, pretty big difference between what he said last year and this year, IMO. 

He didn't just say we needed a QB this year, he flat out said that we didn't have a backup QB on the roster - which was Zach Wilson's role with the team. That's pretty harsh as far as publicly bashing your own player goes. 

I wonder if Woody realizes we also need a completely revamped OL along with a WR2 and WR3.

16 hours ago, Warfish said:

My TLDR here is one I think you'll like: 

If JD wants Brissett, I truly believe there is nothing stopping the Jets from signing Brissett.

But that's the real question, does JD want him (or some equivalent, say Minshew)......I have my doubts.

Curious why you think he doesn't want him. Granted, doing what it takes to get him or preferring someone else could prevent him from making the move but I think after last year everyone in the org knows we need a legit backup QB. Woody basically said we need one to the media.

19 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Zach last year 

In this imaginary world we’re discussing, when did Woody bash Zach at the begging of or during the season?  
While you’re at it, when did he supposedly refuse to play?  Wasn’t that before the Texans game?  The one he started?  Didn’t the story and his denial come out early Dec?  Before the Texans and dolphin game and his getting injured?