Jets releasing Laken Tomlinson, gain $8 mil in cap space

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

How is this on Saleh? For not paying attention to the offense? 

if you tally them all up, free agents, drafts, trades, Joe Douglas has made like 20 plus moves on this line since he arrived 

Ryan Kalil 

Alex Lewis 

Mekhi Becton 

Cam Clark 

Connor McGovern 

George Fant 

Greg van roten 

AVT 

Morgan Moses leaving 

Conor McDermott 

Chuma edoga leaving 

Laken tomlinson 

Mike remmers

Duane Brown 

Cedric ogbouhi 

Laurent duvernay tariff 

Nate herbig 

Chris glaser 

Jake hanson 

Xavier Newman 

Max Mitchell 

Dennis Kelly 

Carter Warren 

Joe Tippmann 

Im surely forgetting someone. And like 2 of those moves have been good 

The fact that it's still a total rebuild in year 5 is totally ludicrous 

His choices for OL and QB have been so bad he makes Mac look good. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Jets fans celebrating Douglas cutting Tomlinson reminds me of this scene from Idiocracy. Then again, so much of Jets Fan Life reminds me of this scene from Idiocracy. 

Should we be sad that he got cut? 

He was bad here. It makes sense to be happy about moving on from an underperforming player, even if the same GM will be the guy replacing him  . . . 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

My one and only point was that Joe Douglas is in the final year of his contract, and does not have "two seasons" left. 

That should have been quite clear.

There is no "thing" to get into.  

Uh Oh Sam GIF by GLOW Netflix

3 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Uh Oh Sam GIF by GLOW Netflix

I guess we don’t know what year he’s in. I was listening to Connor Rodgers who talked about the Jets being notorious for just letting contracts run out instead of firing or extending. The coaches who left he assumed their contracts had expired. 

11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

What about trading his own number 2 overall pick for pennies on the dollar? Is that rare enough for you? 

Did I miss something? Did Zach Wilson get traded? For nothing? 

You who DID get traded for pennies on the dollar? Just last year. Trey Lance. The great John Lynch who took his team to the SB this year drafted Lance #3 overall and traded him away for a 4th rounder. Doesn't seem that rare if it JUST HAPPENED LAST SEASON.

Image of And circle gets the square.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Why do people keep repeating this fallacy?

Joe Douglas' contract ends in June 2025.  After the 2024 season is over but BEFORE the 2025 season starts.

He has one season left on his deal.  He will not be the Jets GM for the 2025 season without an extension.

And?  Being GM during the season is so important?  Why, he'll miss the mini-draft!  If he is under contract through June 2025, he is under contract for the free agency period, the draft and even the, gasp!, combine!  Who gives a **** who is GM in July?  That is just the guy we anoint as a savior only to eviscerate him in October.

18 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

If he is under contract through June 2025, he is under contract for the free agency period, the draft and even the, gasp!, combine!

The decision on his (and Saleh's) future beyond the 2024 season will be made no later than Black Monday.

Either he'll be extended, or he'll be fired, before the 2025 free agency period, the draft and the combine.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

IIRC, most here, including me, were happy with the initial signing.  I do remember one poster who specifically posted that the 49ers knew he was nearly washed and dumped him at the right time.  It was right after we got him.  Whoever that poster was, he was 100% correct.  But nearly everyone else was happy.  IIRC.

I was one of them, lol

Seemed like a perfect round peg for our round hole. 

I didn't imagine he'd repeatedly thrust to make that round hole of wider diameter. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

How is this on Saleh? For not paying attention to the offense? 

if you tally them all up, free agents, drafts, trades, Joe Douglas has made like 20 plus moves on this line since he arrived 

Ryan Kalil 

Alex Lewis 

Mekhi Becton 

Cam Clark 

Connor McGovern 

George Fant 

Greg van roten 

AVT 

Morgan Moses leaving 

Conor McDermott 

Chuma edoga leaving 

Laken tomlinson 

Mike remmers

Duane Brown 

Cedric ogbouhi 

Laurent duvernay tariff 

Nate herbig 

Chris glaser 

Jake hanson 

Xavier Newman 

Max Mitchell 

Dennis Kelly 

Carter Warren 

Joe Tippmann 

Im surely forgetting someone. And like 2 of those moves have been good 

The fact that it's still a total rebuild in year 5 is totally ludicrous 

This is what the vomit emoticon is for.

I will say you did include Moses leaving but not his signing, since Douglas is the one who signed him in the first place, but that hardly makes me feel warm & secure anyway.

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

my point, exactly.  douglas seems to be taking an inordinate amount of heat for the oline failure when most of it should be falling on saleh, imo.

Most?

I don't know about that, unless one can point to Saleh as the cause for so many OL injuries & letdowns.

Douglas chose Fant over Conklin

Douglas chose Becton over Wirfs

Douglas chose AVT over Darrisaw + keeping his two 3rd rounders

Douglas chose Moore over Dickerson and Humphrey

Douglas chose all the others that @bitonti mentioned, too

The forgivable ones, imo, were shots in the dark on the likes of Kalil -- he was handed a team without a center, with a HC who surely told him he needed one, and at that point there was no one else to add. Plus a pick here or there on day 3 that didn't work out; every team has that same experience. 

I think both bear responsibility, but unless you can point to Saleh as the cause of poor play the player acquisition falls on the GM.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

17 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Douglas has missed on the left tackle he drafted at 11 overall, the LG he gave $24 million to, the C he gave $27 million to, the other left tackle he gave $22 million to, and a passel of later round picks on the OL who have all been bad. It’s one thing to miss on draftees, but when you’re whiffing on high-dollar free agents, you have some serious pro personnel issues. At some point, Woody’s gonna notice the money being set on fire in front of him. 

“OL guru”

16 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

This move and thread really shows how much work we need to do on the OL.

Given the OT depth, if Alt or Fashanu aren’t there at 10 then I really hope we trade down.

You can still get the same quality RT between picks 10-20 and can still pick up a LT in the 2nd who could sit behind whatever vet free agent we ultimately sign. 

No one is trading up to our spot for more than 75 cents on the dollar.  

As is tradition - we will stick and pick from our no-man’s land spot.  Because of “learning to win” and stuff.  F**k everything.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

As is tradition - we will stick and pick from our no-man’s land spot.  Because of “learning to win” and stuff.  F**k everything.

Last year, the Jets were better off with almost any pick/s and a lower first round pick than staying where they were to pick McD4.  They would have been better off with Anton Harrison and a developmental safety. 

17 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Douglas has missed on the left tackle he drafted at 11 overall, the LG he gave $24 million to, the C he gave $27 million to, the other left tackle he gave $22 million to, and a passel of later round picks on the OL who have all been bad. It’s one thing to miss on draftees, but when you’re whiffing on high-dollar free agents, you have some serious pro personnel issues. At some point, Woody’s gonna notice the money being set on fire in front of him. 

Oy vey!   When he first came on and the Jets werea an absolute mess his first move for the OL was to bring a center back from retirement.  I knew right therte this guy's ability to develop an OL was gong to be like a dangerous amusement park ride.  Only hope we can have, is he's learned some lessons here - see AVT - and will draft and sign better FA's for the OL.  The law of averages is on our side. No? It just cant get any worse.

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Like with Maccagnan?

Lets be clear, if JD and his Jets go 3-14 in 2024, you think they'll just keep JD on for all the offseason 2025 stuff before they let him go in June to bring on a new GM?

Woody is a fool, and makes mistakes regularly, but I'm doubting he repeats this one.  And there is no Gase here to help repeat it either. 

If JD isn't extended before the whistle blows to end our final game in 2024, he'll be fired the very next day.  I'm confident in that.

But sure, Woody could pull a Macc again, nothing is impossibru and June is the official end of the contract as far as anyone can tell.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Lets be clear, if JD and his Jets go 3-14 in 2024, you think they'll just keep JD on for all the offseason 2025 stuff before they let him go in June to bring on a new GM?

Woody is a fool, and makes mistakes regularly, but I'm doubting he repeats this one.  And there is no Gase here to help repeat it either. 

If JD isn't extended before the whistle blows to end our final game in 2024, he'll be fired the very next day.  I'm confident in that.

But sure, Woody could pull a Macc again, nothing is impossibru and June is the official end of the contract as far as anyone can tell.

I am not sure that June is the end of JD's contract.  Although people have said it was "six years,"  my guess is that it runs 6/19-1/25.  

2 hours ago, bicketybam said:
2 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Mac passed on Mahomes for a box safety because he took Hackenberg the year before. He also traded up for Darnold. Please.

They traded up for Mayfield but Cleveland screwed the pooch. The whole world knew the Giants were taking Barkley.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I assume you are right.  At the time Maccagnan fired I remember that it seemed kind of ****ed up.  Giving Douglas the year, but not the draft or FA period.  At the time it came out that apparently that is not as uncommon as I thought and that when a GM is brought on in January, they are going to have a tough time prepping for FA and the draft and will be relying on their predecessor's staff.  We will see.  I don't see them going 3-14.  They went 7-9 with about as disastrous as it can get.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Fugua is the pick at 10. Bit of a reach but no way I want anytrhing to do with Latham. If possible to trade back, then Guyton at around low 20 would be a nice move and get a 2nd rounder to move back. Guyton is a excellent pass blocker. 

2 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Fugua is the pick at 10. Bit of a reach but no way I want anytrhing to do with Latham. If possible to trade back, then Guyton at around low 20 would be a nice move and get a 2nd rounder to move back. Guyton is a excellent pass blocker. 

This is the kind of thought that seems rational and on its face I agree.  OTOH, when I stare at it a bit longer, it seems a bit contradictory.  I hope they have a plan in place.  I fully admit that it often seems they do not.  Thing is, the quickie read is Fuaga is a beast in the run game and "developing" his pass sets.   Guyton is an excellent pass blocker.  Which direction are they actually headed?  Just best player or do they have an actual plan?  Who the **** knows?  Does anybody?  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

This is the kind of thought that seems rational and on its face I agree.  OTOH, when I stare at it a bit longer, it seems a bit contradictory.  I hope they have a plan in place.  I fully admit that it often seems they do not.  Thing is, the quickie read is Fuaga is a beast in the run game and "developing" his pass sets.   Guyton is an excellent pass blocker.  Which direction are they actually headed?  Just best player or do they have an actual plan?  Who the **** knows?  Does anybody?  

I think we will understand more when we see their measureables and their various grades, but to take an OL from Oklahoma who can pass block and also get another another pick, like a WR, I don't know how you pass that up for Fuaga who can't pass block.  Wirfs went 13, and he was an All Pro RT.  I dont' think anyone thinks that Fuaga coming out is as good or prepared as Wirfs was.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bicketybam said:
3 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Mac passed on Mahomes for a box safety because he took Hackenberg the year before. He also traded up for Darnold. Please.

Last GM when the Jets had a winning season. A lot of GM's passed on Patrick Mahomes. Jamal Adams ended up bringing back draft capital. What's Zach Wilson bringing back? Bag of chips. Even Sam Darnold was better than Zach Wilson and Joe was able to liquidate him for a 2nd, 4th, and 6th round pick.

17 hours ago, FootballLove said:

On a different note, when JoeD brought him in, there was a lot of hoop-laa about what a great catch that was for the Jets. Except one sports writer (back then) thought it was a bad pick. He showed videos of Tomlinson getting bull-rushed into Garoppolo's lap every snap of the NFCCG, which the 9ers lost.

if we squint hard enough Laken Tomlinson ruined AVT's career

before Laken arrived AVT was a borderline pro bowl left guard

they signed a guy who wears his same number and plays the same position, move AVT to RG, RT and he gets hurt 2x bad

now Laken is cut and we don't even know if AVT's worth a 5th year option 

it's like the one good thing about the line was the left guard why sign a damn left guard? They ruined the kid's development, if we're being honest 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

28 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Last GM when the Jets had a winning season. A lot of GM's passed on Patrick Mahomes. Jamal Adams ended up bringing back draft capital. What's Zach Wilson bringing back? Bag of chips. Even Sam Darnold was better than Zach Wilson and Joe was able to liquidate him for a 2nd, 4th, and 6th round pick.

the best player on the team is still a MAC pick (Quinnen), 5 years after Mac left 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2