AJ Dillon - could be a lower tier smart signing

"I've heard of that guy, lets sign him!" - too many Jets Fans too often.

If we need a RB, draft one, or sign a young one with a future.

RB is the last position where need a "veteran" backup, it's not QB.  You just need a capable backup (or two).  Being old and worn down is not a good thing for RB's.  Did we learn nothing from Cook last year?

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

A guy like Dillon or Gus Edwards is exactly what I want behind Breece.

A big goaline/powerback that can just plow forward and pick up those tough conversions.

Izzy showed a flash here or there but you can’t really rely on him as anything more than the 3rd back IMO.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

"I've heard of that guy, lets sign him!" - too many Jets Fans too often.

If we need a RB, draft one, or sign a young one with a future.

RB is the last position where need a "veteran" backup, it's not QB.  You just need a capable backup (or two).  Being old and worn down is not a good thing for RB's.  Did we learn nothing from Cook last year?

Not old. Not run down. And yes we do need a veteran RB. And Cook and Dillon are not comparable. We aren’t talking big money. But ok.  

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Jdeet said:

Not old.

26 by the 2024 season?  Fair enough, he's not over 30 at least.

Not run down.

597 career carries so far.  Again, fair enough, he's certainly not the bell-cow runner Cook was.

And yes we do need a veteran RB.

Why?  What does a veteran bring that a young draft pick doesn't?

Other than the milage already incurred and having played with Rodgers previously, of course.

And Cook and Dillon are not comparable.

You're right, Cook was a bonifide stud RB in his career, Dillion wasn't and isn't.  So that's true I suppose too.

We aren’t talking big money. But ok.  

I prefer not to chase "names" from other teams. 

I am sure we can find our own RB, it's hardly a hard-to-find position these days in the "RB by committee' era.

24 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

F a veteran RB

You guys are funny. Talking about a couple million. Rather than having zero experience backups. Every good team has veteran backup RBs. Just needs to fit the system and the need. And, yes we need one. Drafting a guy in the 4th round makes zero sense. We already have a guy like that. 

• Upvote 2

I agree with the op if he is low cost, he is a north south big banger back.  That is what we need as an alternative to hall and izzy.

In any case if we want a vet we should be able to get one very cheap.

• Upvote 4

40 minutes ago, Paradis said:

You guys are high af. Dillon is terrible 

Don’t watch football much, huh? Do you understand what a backup RB needs to do ? He does exactly what we need from a backup, in combination with Izzy. And can be signed for cheap. 

There will be upwards of 20 RBs available in free agency. This is the type of guy we need. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I agree with the op if he is low cost, he is a north south big banger back.  That is hat we need as an alternative to hall and izzy.

In nay case if we want a vet we should be able to get one very cheap.

Exactly 

11 minutes ago, Jdeet said:

You guys are funny. Talking about a couple million. Rather than having zero experience backups. Every good team has veteran backup RBs. Just needs to fit the system and the need. And, yes we need one. Drafting a guy in the 4th round makes zero sense. We already have a guy like that. 

we already have a veteran RB too. draft a RB, plug and play.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

His last three years, 803, 770, 613 yards 37, 43, 28 catches   He does not stink for a low carry 2/3 back.   He is supposedly not a bad blocker as well.

He is a big change of pace guy, he is not a replacement for the other guys.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Paradis said:

a better version of AJD and cost a day 3 pick

I like also like picking up a late round back pick BUT rookie backs can run but if they are not great blockers they sit on their ass all year.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

29 minutes ago, Jdeet said:

Don’t watch football much, huh? Do you understand what a backup RB needs to do 

There will be upwards of 20 RBs available in free agency. This is the type of guy we need. 

you must be staring at the sun in your spare time, he's not very good at pro-football -- and there's no way he's the best option. He'll be out of league in 2 years at most

There'll be better UDFAs available, let alone draftable ones and veterans

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Yeah, but why would you want a guy with upside when you can get a guy who’s already proven he sucks?

You got me.

Need to watch more football according to @Jdeet  then i'll understand why sucking is better.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Audric Estime. Take him in Round 3 (if he makes it)

I like him a lot as well... this draft class is overall fairly weak though... I can't even say with confidence that a RB will get selected in round 2. 

Won't need to reach one any of them with round 3 pick is my point. 

• Upvote 2

One important role for any RB is staying back and blocking in the passing game, picking up blitzers, etc. Saleh would never trust a rookie RB in that role. If Dillon is a good blocker, he has that going for him.

But what would annoy me as a RB like Breece, is Breece does all the hard work getting close, then Saleh pulls him so Dillon can walk in for the TD. Breece knows he's elite, and wants the stats to go along with it. Can't blame him!

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Jdeet said:

We obviously have other priorities. But, we do have a lot riding on Breece Hall having a healthy season (along with others). We still need to sign a solid veteran backup RB. Izzy is a work in progress and best case, is a change of pace RB. Dillon is a big bruising goal line back, one of the best blocking RBs in the NFL, and a surprisingly solid pass catcher. He is a northeast guy, living in CT and going to Boston College. Plus he is still only 25 years old. 

With the ridiculous amount of RBs on the open market and the dropping salaries of RBs, we might be able to pick him up on the cheap. The Rodgers connection aside, this would be a very smart move for the Jets, at the very least, for Breece Hall insurance. 

Even Hackett's dumb a$$ couldn't stop him.

21 hours ago, FootballLove said:

One important role for any RB is staying back and blocking in the passing game, picking up blitzers, etc. Saleh would never trust a rookie RB in that role. If Dillon is a good blocker, he has that going for him.

But what would annoy me as a RB like Breece, is Breece does all the hard work getting close, then Saleh pulls him so Dillon can walk in for the TD. Breece knows he's elite, and wants the stats to go along with it. Can't blame him!

This is a good point and I don’t think that will happen. What we can HOPE for is, we are winning late in the game and we can sit Breece, not over-work him, and give it to a reliable guy who isn’t going to fumble the ball (Dillon has lost 1 fumble in 4 seasons). A rookie back shouldn’t be the guy you hand it to. 

You need a vet for that. Every good team has one. Go down the list. But hey, we can draft a day 3 guy to back up Breece and not worry about him. Izzy isn’t a backup RB. He is a change of pace guy. Know your personnel. 

I bet it cost 2-3 mil for 1 season with an option.  Much better than a day 3 rookie or taking an RB in the 3rd round when you have other needs.