*** The official 2024 free agency thread***

3 minutes ago, Pac said:

Jones ripped up his knee twice last year and barely played.  This is a risk for MN. 

??

Your definition of “Ripped up” must be different from most.

IIRC he started the year with a nagging hamstring injury and then sprained his MCL late in the year.

And it apparently didn’t affect him too much in the postseason.

He performed like an absolute beast in the wild card game, scoring 3 TDs and running all over Dallas.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 2

17 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

I get it, but I highly doubt you're going to pry away a starting QB for pennies. If we had a 2nd rounder this year, sure, but this team is desperate for cheap depth. 

Take a flyer on a kid from the later rounds who will presumably ride the pine on the practice squad all year and learn behind our two very veteran QBs. 

Great let’s draft the next AJ McCarron in the 6th round. 

24 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Teams like Pittsburgh and Baltimore have traditionally built a pipeline of OL through the draft.

Douglas has attempted it but largely sucked at nailing the picks.

Ideally you draft these guys in the mid-late rounds, let them develop for a year or two, they slide in as a starter for 2-3 before you let them walk in FA, rinse and repeat.

Part of the problem is that he doesn’t take those guys in the mid-late rounds. That issue is twofold. One, he just trades the picks away. And two, it’s such a scramble to build depth that he signs veterans for those spots in FA so there’s no room on the roster to develop those guys.

Problem is that means there’s never a cheap in house replacement and the cycle just continues. It’s borderline negligent.

1 minute ago, JohnnyLV said:

There is no logical reason to think that is likely.

There’s no logical reason to think that it isn’t.

As long as Rodgers wants to play, short of him falling off a cliff head first into a barrel of sh*t, he’ll be the Jets starting QB.

Why wouldn’t he be?

We haven’t had more than 2 seasons of sustained “good” QB play since Namath.

Kenny O’Brien is this teams best QB in the last half a century for f*ck sake.

While you guys dupe yourselves into thinking this team is going to find the next Mahomes through the draft, they can’t even find their own Kirk Cousins or Derek Carr.

So you better pray that Aaron Rodgers comes back at full health and plays as long as he remains a viable starter.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

The teams asking price definitely just plummeted with the signing of Mariota and the obvious plan to draft a QB with the end pick.

I think he could be had for a 5th....but that won't be coming from us.

He stinks and will be released.

9 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Lol yeah dude, you can find a Sam Howell equivalent in the later rounds and not have to give up the asinine amount of picks you suggested. 

I know what Howell is I’m not sure what the 10th QB in this draft is. I have an idea though… 

11 minutes ago, derp said:

Part of the problem is that he doesn’t take those guys in the mid-late rounds. That issue is twofold. One, he just trades the picks away. And two, it’s such a scramble to build depth that he signs veterans for those spots in FA so there’s no room on the roster to develop those guys.

Problem is that means there’s never a cheap in house replacement and the cycle just continues. It’s borderline negligent.

I think borderline is kind. There have been several OL rich drafts that he has straight up opted out of taking players outside of round 1

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, August said:

I know what Howell is I’m not sure what the 10th QB in this draft is. I have an idea though… 

I think we all likely know what Sam Howell is.

Probably a dude who kicks around the league as a backup for 6 years and then is out of it entirely.

That’s much more likely than him developing into a viable starter and the eventual successor to Rodgers.

So why the hell would you trade the equivalent of a high 3rd round pick/low 2nd round pick for a guy who is going to carry a surface tablet for A-Rod and Tyrod for two years before he inevitably walks in FA?

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I think we all likely know what Sam Howell is.

Probably a dude who kicks around the league as a backup for 6 years and then is out of it entirely.

That’s much more likely than him developing into a viable starter and the eventual successor to Rodgers.

So why the hell would you trade the equivalent of a high 3rd round pick/low 2nd round pick for a guy who is going to carry a surface tablet for A-Rod and Tyrod for two years before he inevitably walks in FA?

We know what he is based on one year? There are people here who still thinks Darnold has potential but Howell after one year is a finished product? Howell will more than likely be the backup and Tyrod will be the 3rd QB. 

4 minutes ago, August said:

We know what he is based on one year? There are people here who still thinks Darnold has potential but Howell after one year is a finished product? Howell will more than likely be the backup and Tyrod will be the 3rd QB. 

There are people who will never see things for what they are.

Sam Darnold is in all likelihood, a solid backup QB. Not Rich Gannon.

He’s unlikely to ever “resurrect” his career. But he’s always had intriguing physical tools and will only be 27 at the start of the season so a team in QB no man’s land like Minnesota will give him a shot.

And the Jets didn’t just give Tyrod 2 years, $18 million to play 3rd fiddle.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, August said:

Lol dude stop embarrassing yourself. 

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

unreal contract for Mooney.   I've liked him as a player but he has done almost nothing for two years.

We are going to get fleeced for our #2  wr if we pursue one.

WR is one of the most coveted positions in the league. No losing team is getting a bargain for a name WR in free agency. I think even the Chiefs will struggle to get a bargain for a big name. All of these guys (Ridley, Brown, etc) will get PAID, IMO. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

unreal contract for Mooney.   I've liked him as a player but he has done almost nothing for two years.

We are going to get fleeced for our #2  wr if we pursue one.

I've always liked Mooney - really wanted us to draft him originally - but I wasn't expecting him to get that much.

WRs getting paid, with this and the Gabe Davis deal real eye-openers.

• Upvote 2

Obviously it all depends on the price and contract terms but I leaning towards Jonah Williams with the intent to start at RT but can play LT if the likely injury-ridden LT we sign (Bakhtiari or Tyron Smith) get hurt, while still drafting a LT.

I don't think Jonah Williams is amazing but he is a good RT with experience at left and is still young and durable the last few years after a rough start in the pros. Again, depends on the price but if we're signing Bakhtiari then we need the other tackle we sign to be able to play LT if needed. 

This also allows AVT to stay at guard.

6 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

WRs getting paid, with this and the Gabe Davis deal real eye-openers.

Yep. 

Wait until Ridley and Hollywood Brown sign. Those guys will both get bigger contracts than either Davis or Mooney got. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Yep. 

Wait until Ridley and Hollywood Brown sign. Those guys will both get bigger contracts than either Davis or Mooney got. 

Some of these deals so far for OL and WR have been really awful on a value level. 

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Both VERY questionable players imo.

I like Ridley more than you do. I don't love him as your WR1, but I think he would be a high quality WR2 and complement Wilson nicely. 

Brown could also be a good WR2 in the right system. 

Neither player is can't miss. It has to be a good fit. 

24 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

He’s unlikely to ever “resurrect” his career. But he’s always had intriguing physical tools and will only be 27 at the start of the season so a team in QB no man’s land like Minnesota will give him a shot.

I am going to beat this dead horse.  A playoff-ish team with a top WR is willing to give Sam Darnold a shot, just like some on the Jets wanted to.  Darnold is the presumptive starter sort of.  

No one is giving Zach Wilson a shot.  

26 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

There are people who will never see things for what they are.

Sam Darnold is in all likelihood, a solid backup QB. Not Rich Gannon.

After last year with injuries they want a strong QB room? 

22 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

WR is one of the most coveted positions in the league. No losing team is getting a bargain for a name WR in free agency. I think even the Chiefs will struggle to get a bargain for a big name. All of these guys (Ridley, Brown, etc) will get PAID, IMO. 

I am legit wondering if the jets will go wr at 10, or after a trade back, and then grab an OL in the 2nd round.  They can still find quality OL in round 2, and if there’s a stud wr there after a trade (ie, Bryan Thomas), maybe they go playmaker.

• Upvote 1