*** The official 2024 free agency thread***

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

If rodgers is going the way woody sells more tickets is by drafting another qb. 

The Jets faithful would be clamouring to see an overdrafted rookie take the field come September! Woody might need to add more seats to the stadium!

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

And to stoke this theory I’ll throw in that a few weeks ago there were some (including me) who were questioning why the jets were meeting with the qb prospects.  Perhaps now we know why.  They were also there at nix’s pro day.  And then there’s woody’s looming intervening, the same gent who was likely behind bringing Tebow here. 

I think there is a chance they go qb at 10.  I also think they could go rome or bowers.  I think they could trade back and take nix.  But it does seem at this point that jd is not following rodgers’ wishes and woody has gone on record saying they want offense.  It wouldn’t surprise me if the secret plan now is to have tyrod start and draft a guy who comes in at some point this season. 

Jets meeting with Qb prospects also serves to bring uncertainty of teams after #10 to what the Jets plan to do. If a Qb falls to #9, perhaps a team will trade ahead of Jets to take Qb. If they think “no way” Jets take Qb, then they sit tight

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Jets meeting with Qb prospects also serves to bring uncertainty of teams after #10 to what the Jets plan to do. If a Qb falls to #9, perhaps a team will trade ahead of Jets to take Qb. If they think “no way” Jets take Qb, then they sit tight

Yes, true.  If I’m denver and LV and minny right now, the jets are a dark horse team i may be worried about taking a qb.  

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Jets very much not acting like a team that thinks it’s competing for anything this year. Zero urgency to get anything done. Impossible to reconcile the idea that the Jets are all-in contenders with Rodgers and the fact that their biggest offseason moves are Tyrod Taylor and a couple of cheap C+ OL that the Ravens cast out. 

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

You do wonder. If Lazard is really on the block, no Cobb, Turner, etc. No attempt to sign Aaron Jones. We’ve heard nothing about Bakhtiari, but they’re trying to sign Tyron Smith. Even the OL they signed are primarily geared for the run game. Not a peep from anyone on the Jets regarding the RFK rumors. Rodgers not bothering to address it either, even though he (cough) tweeted the Sandy Hook clarification today. 

If Lazard is really on the block, no Cobb, Turner, etc. No attempt to sign Aaron Jones

They already have AR8 here.

We’ve heard nothing about Bakhtiari

I still think we will.  There's no urgency for it anyway.  

they’re trying to sign Tyron Smith

That would be a gigantic signing.  And afaik, we don't have that much money to spend (maybe the Mosley extension freed some up?) so is it really surprising we're not signing big names?  

Even the OL they signed are primarily geared for the run game.

Beggars can't be choosers.  We're on a tight budget and we have to replace 3/5 of our OL.  Plus if we sign Tyron Smith (big if but still) that changes the whole complexion of the offseason.  It would free us up to draft weapinzz in the draft.  I still think JD has stuff up his sleeve (e.g. a trade).  

Not a peep from anyone on the Jets regarding the RFK rumors. Rodgers not bothering to address it either

True

even though he (cough) tweeted the Sandy Hook clarification today. 

You were never going to be satisfied with what he said (or didn't say) in the first place.

T0m: He needs to address this!!!

AR8: The stuff they said about me is not true.

T0m:  AHA, HE STILL THINKS IT!!!!!

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

We’ll know more after the draft.  But, what if rodgers went to woody and jd in January and said look, i don’t think my leg is going to be 100% for football again, I’m not sure i can be the same qb i was, though i can play.  I’m also thinking of doing this other stuff.  So if you want I’ll go on saying I’m gonna play while you guys scout qbs so nobody else suspects you may draft one.  

That would have been ok, but just retire and let the Jets do an injury settlement and get some cap relief. 

25 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This.  Not how I expected the offseason to go so far.

Which might say that JD and Saleh are far more secure in their jobs than we fans might think or postulate.

Finally coming over to my side of the street and real this is all on Woody with Rodgers and JD and Saleh were just doing what they were told? Good for you, you will be on the right side of history when all is said and done. 😎

Just now, section314 said:

Finally coming over to my side of the street and real this is all on Woody with Rodgers and JD and Saleh were just doing what they were told? Good for you, you will be on the right side of history when all is said and done. 😎

Can I come to the medal ceremony??!!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Good news for the Jets. They'll probably use that to get ahead and take a QB. The more QBs ahead of us the better.

Unless we end up needing a QB.  Lol

If this is how the board shakes out, what do you do?  Take Fuaga?

I think I’d move back.

With the Chargers unloading WRs they seem to be gearing up for MHJ or Nabers.

Alt to Titans feels like a lock after they paid Ridley.  Bears drafting an OT makes sense, too.

IMG_5018.thumb.png.88f4485db3730180340d8af3818bd8b3.png

12 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Good news for the Jets. They'll probably use that to get ahead and take a QB. The more QBs ahead of us the better.

Would be even better if they trade with the Jets.  Would be amazing.

There would have to be competition for the pick, or JD would have to fool MIN into believing that.

At #11 and #23 could get an OT and a legit WR prospect like Adonai Mitchell.

I don’t see Bowers as a lock to be HOF like everyone else here seems to, but I’d be take a shot on him at #23.

10 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

It might also slightly hurt the Jets chances of sliding back a few spots for Denver or LV to come up ahead of Minn.

Just now, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I don’t see Bowers as a lock to be HOF like everyone else here seems to, but I’d be take a shot on him at #23.

They didnt make that trade to trade up one spot with the Jets lol. 

They probably wanna get to 7 around there.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I think I’d move back.

Alt to Titans feels like a lock after they paid Ridley.  Bears drafting an OT makes sense, too.

Bowers.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

There's no way they would give up 11 and 23 just to move up 1 spot

1 minute ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

They didnt make that trade to trade up one spot with the Jets lol. 

They probably wanna get to 7 around there.

The Bears traded up one spot for Trubisky.

Those 2 picks aren’t enough ammo to lock down anything.

They need to vault into the top-3 to secure a top option.

10 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I think I’d move back.

First, you do what it takes to get Tyron Smith so you don’t have a gaping hole (giggity) at LT.

And if the draft shakes out like above, I take Bowers and don’t think twice.

I don’t care about the position he plays. I care about him being arguably the top offensive playmaker in the draft when the Jets are devoid of playmakers outside of Garrett and Breece.

On top of Bowers being up there with Harrison as the premier game breaker in this class, bringing in Bowers mitigates the need for a top tier #2 wideout opposite Wilson, especially if Hackett has the common sense to become more 12 and 13 personnel heavy. With an improved OL and having 2/3 or all 3 of Bowers, Conklin and Ruckert on the field at the same time, Breece would run f*cking wild and it’s even more added protection for Rodgers.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

First, you do what it takes to get Tyron Smith so you don’t have a gaping hole (giggity) at LT.

And if the draft shakes out like above, I take Bowers and don’t think twice.

I don’t care about the position he plays. I care about him being arguably the top offensive playmaker in the draft when the Jets are devoid of playmakers outside of Garrett and Breece.

On top of Bowers being up there with Harrison as the premier game breaker in this class, bringing in Bowers mitigates the need for a top tier #2 option opposite Wilson, especially if Hackett has the common sense to become more 12 and 13 personnel heavy. With an improved OL and having 2/3 or all 3 of Bowers, Conklin and Ruckert on the field at the same time, Breece would run f*cking wild and it’s even more added protection for Rodgers.

Why take Bowers when you can just take Bryan Thomas Jr.? A better playmaker and a premier position.

7 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Jets would have to give back the 3rd rounder and something else maybe.

I haven’t consulted the chart.

Jets trade #10 to Minnesota for #23 and #42

I know the team has needs at OL and WR, but by sliding back, we recoup a 2nd round pick in this trade.  I believe the value isn’t that far off on the chart.  Thing is, would sliding back to #23 be worth it just to get back a 2nd round pick.  

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

And to stoke this theory I’ll throw in that a few weeks ago there were some (including me) who were questioning why the jets were meeting with the qb prospects.  Perhaps now we know why.  They were also there at nix’s pro day.  And then there’s woody’s looming intervening, the same gent who was likely behind bringing Tebow here. 

I think there is a chance they go qb at 10.  I also think they could go rome or bowers.  I think they could trade back and take nix.  But it does seem at this point that jd is not following rodgers’ wishes and woody has gone on record saying they want offense.  It wouldn’t surprise me if the secret plan now is to have tyrod start and draft a guy who comes in at some point this season. 

I like paying attention to Daniel Jeremiah’s content this time of year because he’s close with Douglas, and last week he said two things I found interesting:

1. “Don’t read too much into what teams are at these QB Pro Days. It’s due diligence!”

and

2. “I talked to one GM (the night before free agency opened) and he said he was going on vacation. They weren’t looking to do too much in the free agency period. 

My takeaway? Aaron’s running. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

This.  Not how I expected the offseason to go so far.

Which might say that JD and Saleh are far more secure in their jobs than we fans might think or postulate.

I see it as the opposite. Both Douglas and Saleh are lame ducks with a playoff mandate who are currently shopping in the bargain bin. If Rodgers is out, those guys are dead men walking.

• Upvote 1

Just now, bd71 said:

Jets trade #10 to Minnesota for #23 and #42

I know the team has needs at OL and WR, but by sliding back, we recoup a 2nd round pick in this trade.  I believe the value isn’t that far off on the chart.  Thing is, would sliding back to #23 be worth it just to get back a 2nd round pick.  

I could see that happening, but if you’re Minnesota, are you taking the chance that the broncos, who just got rid of Russ, are going to sit there and let the Vikings go to 10 to get mccarthy?  

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I like paying attention to Daniel Jeremiah’s content this time of year because he’s close with Douglas, and last week he said two things I found interesting:

1. “Don’t read too much into what teams are at these QB Pro Days. It’s due diligence!”

and

2. “I talked to one GM (the night before free agency opened) and he said he was going on vacation. They weren’t looking to do too much in the free agency period. 

My takeaway? Aaron’s running. 

I see it as the opposite. Both Douglas and Saleh are lame ducks with a playoff mandate who are currently shopping in the bargain bin. If Rodgers is out, those guys are dead men walking.

Not sure how those comments lead to that conclusion, but reading the tea leaves:

Most gms get canned when they screw up that bad with a guy like wilson (not to mention, becton).  But woody seems to like douglas.  And no doubt, woody was loving all the pr by trading for rodgers.

i don’t think the jets are merely doing due diligence on these qbs.  Their qb situation has been terrible, rodgers has maybe a year left and tyrod is nothing more than a stop gap (IMO he agreed to go to the jets so he wouldn’t have to move, playing for the giants last year).

23 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I think I’d move back.

Ideally in that scenario, we'd trade down with Minny to let them get JJ McCarthy.   We'd have to create a bidding war with another team for that 10th pick though.

@Jetsfan80 

2 minutes ago, NYJCAP2 said:

Why take Bowers when you can just take Bryan Thomas Jr.? A better playmaker and a premier position.

Who would have Thomas rated higher than Bowers?

If Bowers was 6’5 260 then he would be even more highly regarded than Harrison.

Hell, even without the prototypical size, he’s been considered a Top 5-10 pick throughout this entire process.

He has some of the best YAC ability we’ve seen from a prospect in recent memory, regardless of position. He catches everything thrown within a mile of him, he’s a high effort blocker both inline and on the move, locker room leader with insane production at arguably the top program in college football right now…

I’m sorry, but I don’t see why more people don’t love this kid.

”Positional value” be damned.

• Upvote 2