*** The official 2024 free agency thread***

5 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

He’s not that bad at all, more of average + relatively young + durable + will be in the $5-8 mil per year range. 

I think if we are looking to draft OT in the 1st, he would be a good guy to pick up to start the season.

I agree, but i think we’re going weapon in round 1.  I’m saying 75% it’s either rome or bowers. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

Is he a LT? If not, no interest.

The Jets aren’t entrusting a rookie to protect Rodgers’ blindside. Nor are they taking an OT in the Top 10 and sitting him on the bench for a year.

As soon as the Jets made the trade for Moses the chances of them taking an OL in the 1st round plummeted.

And if the Jets wind up with Tyron Smith, you can pretty much take it to the bank that they’re taking a guy like Bowers or Odunze.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

The Jets aren’t entrusting a rookie to protect Rodgers’ blindside. Nor are they taking an OT in the Top 10 and sitting him on the bench for a year.

As soon as the Jets made the trade for Moses the chances of them taking an OL in the 1st round plummeted.

And if the Jets wind up with Tyron Smith, you can pretty much take it to the bank that they’re taking a guy like Bowers or Odunze.

I agree.  I can see them taking one in round 2 or 3 if they wind up trading back and getting another day 2 pick, but at 10, that’s now a weapon spot and with minny’s trade today and looking like they want to move into the top 9 for a qb, we’re looking at 4 qbs in the top 9 as well as alt and Harrison, meaning nabers, rome and bowers would all have to go for the jets to miss out on all 3.  

15 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I agree, but i think we’re going weapon in round 1.  I’m saying 75% it’s either rome or bowers. 

I'd be fine if we signed Dilliard and drafted LT in 2025 then. He's still young and holds up well. 

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Is it me, or is this FA period really long and drawn out? 

I

This is normal. There are stages and waves. GMs now are laying in the weeds trying to pounce on opportunities and hoping costs will go down.  There is a wave of guys at OT and WR that will have to wait until after the draft unless they really drop their demands

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I was referring to Dilliard, who just got released. If he’s not a LT I would think we would not have interest.

1 minute ago, section314 said:

I was referring to Dilliard, who just got released. If he’s not a LT I would think we would not have interest.

Dillard gave up the most sacks by an OT last year, 12!   He would get Rodgers murdilated 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I'm starting to believe this is the plan too.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CTJetsFan said:

I'm starting to believe this is the plan too.

Based on difficulty to get, it’s harder to find a guy like rome in Fa than a decent OL.  The jets know they aren’t sniffing legit weapons unless the guy is on his last leg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Augustiniak said:

Based on difficulty to get, it’s harder to find a guy like rome in Fa than a decent OL.  The jets know they aren’t sniffing legit weapons unless the guy is on his last leg

Given the lack of FA deals for OTs so far, I'm thinking we can get one at a reasonable cost (as compared to other years). I also think Warren is in the plans as well.

WRs seen to be able to contribute more in year 1 these days too.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

What moves have the Jets made this offseason that indicate they're in win now mode? What moves have they made post Rodgers acquisition that indicate this?

You didn't hear about the new uniforms?

• Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, CTJetsFan said:

Given the lack of FA deals for OTs so far, I'm thinking we can get one at a reasonable cost (as compared to other years). I also think Warren is in the plans as well.

WRs seen to be able to contribute more in year 1 these days too.

Corey davis ditched them at the worst time last year and Lazard decided to bail when rodgers went down.  The TEs are below average.  They know they need weapons, and they’re hard to get.  You really have to draft them or give up the farm (like trading for Jefferson).  So yeah i think the jets are going the OL vet route for this year while continuing to develop the younger guys they have.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

You didn't hear about the new uniforms?

Based on the amount of times your shoe horn this into multiple non-related threads, you are seemingly more obsessed about the topic than the ones who are excited for it.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Larz said:

This is normal. There are stages and waves. GMs now are laying in the weeds trying to pounce on opportunities and hoping costs will go down.  There is a wave of guys at OT and WR that will have to wait until after the draft unless they really drop their demands

16 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Isn't this only the 3rd actual day?

It’s officially the 3rd day, but in practice, it’s really the 5th day because of the tampering period. 

Just seems like there a lot of good players still available 

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

It’s officially the 3rd day, but in practice, it’s really the 5th day because of the tampering period. 

Just seems like there a lot of good players still available 

I think given the amount of talent for OL + WR in the draft it is making giving teams a pause and waiting out to see how low the price drops.

There is also going to be a wave of additional cuts which will help quantity of availability and price drop.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Larz said:

Dillard gave up the most sacks by an OT last year, 12!   He would get Rodgers murdilated 

I remember when they had the presser to take questions after drafting Dillard, it was JD at the mic talking about Dillard's feet.

Roseman was nowhere to be seen.

There are GMs with more of a pure scouting background (e.g. Ted Thompson), and there are GMs like Tannenbaum groomed more on the financial / dealmaking side.

Roseman is the latter.

The Dillard pick was all Joe Douglas.  He has to own it.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

It's sad.

I'm old enough to remember the Jets signing Steve Atwater, freaking Art Monk, and even Ronnie Lott way past their expiration dates.

Nothing ever changes.

The Jets are to washed vets what MLS used to be for legit European / global football stars.

The dudes hit up Florham Park for one last payday.

57 minutes ago, Larz said:
56 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

This dude is quickly becoming one of my favorite Jets ever 

It's crazy that (if the story is to be believed) Woody overruled JD on this one (JD was rumored to have wanted Ickey Ikwonu).

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Based on the amount of times your shoe horn this into multiple non-related threads, you are seemingly more obsessed about the topic than the ones who are excited for it.

You're right. It's hilarious to me.

You can not put a rookie or an average LT next to Simpson at LG.  It will be a disaster. They need an above average veteran presence at LT to help Simpson since he struggles in pass protection. 

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

This could be a really good value signing for us and wouldn’t preclude us from drafting his replacement.

He’s terrible. Like really bad. We don’t want him. 

2 minutes ago, choon328 said:

You can not put a rookie or an average LT next to Simpson at LG.  It will be a disaster. They need an above average veteran presence at LT to help Simpson since he struggles in pass protection. 

Gave up 1 sack last year. So yeah.