Cimini comments on Becton

1 hour ago, August said:

This team needs depth on the oline Becton is young and can be had for cheap. But I expect Becton to not be a Jet. 

First off, that remains to be seen. There may be a perception that

• he was held back by a team that hasn't developed a probowl offensive lineman in 15 years, and
  • hasn't had a left or right tackle as so much as a probowl alternate since Bill Callahan left 13 years ago after the 2011 season
  • this past season was first-year rust after missing the prior two years, finally shedding an extra 20-50 lbs of blubber, and keeping it off -- if he still looks like he's in that 340-350 pound range two months after his last action, someone might get optimistic

Second, he's not going to be cheap to the Jets:

• The Jets suck
  • Bad combo of high taxes and terrible weather to play for a likely non-contender with lame ducks at GM and throughout the coaching staff
  • It's not like this is where his friends & family are from; he's a Virginia guy
  • We have arguably the collective players' least-popular offensive line coach in the league
  • He got publicly called out & humiliated by Saleh when his fat ass didn't show for voluntary workouts
  • He's blamed the team for the initial injury treatment that robbed him of future millions (if not tens of millions)
  • The turf just ate the season for Rodgers, who's the only player on the team who likes him (or pretends to like him), as well as everyone else except the garbage LG who played next to him all season
  • Having him as just "depth" would surely be taken by Becton as still-more personal humiliation and wrongdoing lofted his way from the team, to re-sign and then immediately lose the starting job he had all last year, for a team who couldn't attract any other FA starter with options.

He has other (and better) options until shown otherwise -- i.e. even if both sides agreed to makeup sex for another year they're not getting him back this early in FA; it'd have to wait until April after seeing everyone pass on him.

Also while such a pick shouldn't be a deciding factor on improving the team with a starter, Becton signing elsewhere is what preserves the 4th(?) round comp pick for Huff next year. Passing up on that just to have him back as "cheap depth" is akin to trading that pick away for a "depth" guy they don't even want to be a starter here, and

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, AFJF said:

Just heard Cimini on my drive home saying that he knows of three teams are are in on Becton.

I'm not wishing ill of the guy, but damn is it gonna' suck if he gets back to 100% and plays the way he did (or better) as a rookie.

He didnt play well last year. He was constantly getting beat. And by guys he should have wiped the floor with.  Saleh and JD are done with him. Next.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Yep. He lit it up in TC and preseason that summer, I think they just didn’t believe what their eyes were seeing.

He sucked on special teams.  I believe that he cost them a game against Miami giving up two long returns to Ginn by letting him get the corner in 2009.  I thought Westoff was going to kill him.  They had Greene and Tomlinson at RB and needed the 3rd back to help on specials.  I don't think he was even really in danger of getting picked up, but the Pats traded Maroney and were playing the Jets.  I think he only got run because Faulk went down and played well. 

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

• he was held back by a team that hasn't developed a probowl offensive lineman in 15 years, and
  • hasn't had a left or right tackle as so much as a probowl alternate since Bill Callahan left 13 years ago after the 2011 season
  • this past season was first-year rust after missing the prior two years, finally shedding an extra 20-50 lbs of blubber, and keeping it off -- if he still looks like he's in that 340-350 pound range two months after his last action, someone might get optimistic

• The Jets suck
  • Bad combo of high taxes and terrible weather to play for a likely non-contender with lame ducks at GM and throughout the coaching staff
  • It's not like this is where his friends & family are from; he's a Virginia guy
  • We have arguably the collective players' least-popular offensive line coach in the league
  • He got publicly called out & humiliated by Saleh when his fat ass didn't show for voluntary workouts
  • He's blamed the team for the initial injury treatment that robbed him of future millions (if not tens of millions)
  • The turf just ate the season for Rodgers, who's the only player on the team who likes him (or pretends to like him), as well as everyone else except the garbage LG who played next to him all season
  • Having him as just "depth" would surely be taken by Becton as still-more personal humiliation and wrongdoing lofted his way from the team, to re-sign and then immediately lose the starting job he had all last year, for a team who couldn't attract any other FA starter with options.

He has other (and better) options until shown otherwise -- i.e. even if both sides agreed to makeup sex for another year they're not getting him back this early in FA; it'd have to wait until April after seeing everyone pass on him.

Also while such a pick shouldn't be a deciding factor on improving the team with a starter, Becton signing elsewhere is what preserves the 4th(?) round comp pick for Huff next year. Passing up on that just to have him back as "cheap depth" is akin to trading that pick away for a "depth" guy they don't even want to be a starter here, and

He'll sign with the Giants. They always seem to sign our scrubs. 

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

• The Jets suck

All valid points but what guarantees that the 4th round comp is better than Becton?

As for guys that played better after they left, I always was more angry about the guys that we let walk during the late 80's and 90's when we sucked.  We could not find run for Stevon Moore, Tony Martin or Terrance Mathis?  Jeff Blake couldn't even make the roster?  Herm let Atari Bigby go from a lousy 2005 team and he played for quite some time.  If you want recent, how about Raheem Mostert?

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

He sucked on special teams.  I believe that he cost them a game against Miami giving up two long returns to Ginn by letting him get the corner in 2009.  I thought Westoff was going to kill him.  They had Greene and Tomlinson at RB and needed the 3rd back to help on specials.  I don't think he was even really in danger of getting picked up, but the Pats traded Maroney and were playing the Jets.  I think he only got run because Faulk went down and played well. 

You have quite a memory. 👍

I’m sitting here trying to remember whether I had my coffee this morning.

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

As for guys that played better after they left, I always was more angry about the guys that we let walk during the late 80's and 90's when we sucked.  We could not find run for Stevon Moore, Tony Martin or Terrance Mathis?  Jeff Blake couldn't even make the roster?  Herm let Atari Bigby go from a lousy 2005 team and he played for quite some time.  If you want recent, how about Raheem Mostert?

Eh. He was here for 6 days lol. I wouldn't count that. 

Like if Darnold had went to the Panthers and became a top 10 QB, then THAT would be something we can talk about. 

15 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Like if Darnold had went to the Panthers and became a top 10 QB, then THAT would be something we can talk about. 

I complain more about letting guys walk than guys that got solid draft compensation back.  I have seen Abraham, Revis, Vilma and I think Leonard Williams listed.  Those guys got us some pretty fair return.  Darnold got us a bunch of picks.  Raheem Mostert was a free back that they cut for Troymaine Pope and Brandon Wilds. 

13 hours ago, AFJF said:

Just heard Cimini on my drive home saying that he knows of three teams are are in on Becton.

I'm not wishing ill of the guy, but damn is it gonna' suck if he gets back to 100% and plays the way he did (or better) as a rookie.

The minute he leaves the Jets he will become an All-Pro. Guaranteed.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

thanks joe thanks a bunch

and wirfs has been selected to the pro bowl more than once and many fans KNEW he was a the better pick but not our fat guy running the show -maybe he picked becton because fat and lazy guys stick together? 

• WTF? 1
  • Ugh 1

45 minutes ago, August said:

All valid points but what guarantees that the 4th round comp is better than Becton?

If guarantees are what you want, then for that matter what guarantees are there that Becton will suit up for even 2 games, either due to his own injury or just that as mere depth he wasn’t needed much?

When you have a player with this kind of injury and personal issues history, relying upon him to replicate the best of his health with the best of his performance is quite the parlay sought. He played a full season for the only time over the past 3 seasons and wasn’t that great at it anyway. Combine with the personal baggage, take that almost-w on his prior season and move on.

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If guarantees are what you want, then for that matter what guarantees are there that Becton will suit up for even 2 games, either due to his own injury or just that as mere depth he wasn’t needed much?

When you have a player with this kind of injury and personal issues history, relying upon him to replicate the best of his health with the best of his performance is quite the parlay sought. He played a full season for the only time over the past 3 seasons and wasn’t that great at it anyway. Combine with the personal baggage, take that almost-w on his prior season and move on.

Still much more sure about Becton. A young decent LT with room to grow trumps an unknown 4th round compensation pick. 

No said anything about “relying” on Becton. He’s here because he still has potential and can grow. He has a right to be upset. They made him play on the right side which got him hurt despite him telling them that he was not comfortable. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, August said:

Still much more sure about Becton. A young decent LT with room to grow trumps an unknown 4th round compensation pick. 

No said anything about “relying” on Becton. He’s here because he still has potential and can grow. He has a right to be upset. They made him play on the right side which got him hurt despite him telling them that he was not comfortable. 

He’s not been good for some time, he hates the coaches and medical staff here, and is a surly, lazy, walking injury risk. 

Also they aren’t getting him for cheap, and whatever you see him sign for with another team you can at least double it to make him accept another contract in a place where he’s miserable and has too much personal baggage.

14 hours ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Well now I’m curious. When’s the last time that actually happened? I guess Geno? But I feel like after several seasons, that doesn’t count. 

Danny Woodcock. Scarred some people here for life. :D 

1 hour ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

How about Kalif Raymond?  He was here a few weeks and couldn't even stick on a tanking squad.  In 2023 he is in the playoffs as the Lions 3rd WR option, (5th overall behind LaPorta and Gibbs) getting more catches, yards and targets than Jameson Williams. 

24 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He’s not been good for some time, he hates the coaches and medical staff here, and is a surly, lazy, walking injury risk. 

Also they aren’t getting him for cheap, and whatever you see him sign for with another team you can at least double it to make him accept another contract in a place where he’s miserable and has too much personal baggage.

I keep seeing this term “lazy” being used for him. What makes him “lazy”? What do you think he’d realistically cost us? Because he’s not going to command a ton of money. 

33 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

This is definitely Darnold's time to shine! This time, for sure! Absolutely!

I'd like to see Sam succeed too, but didn't he have CMC, DJ Moore and Curtis Samuel in Carolina and didn't do much with them?

11 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I'd like to see Sam succeed too, but didn't he have CMC, DJ Moore and Curtis Samuel in Carolina and didn't do much with them?

That's the joke.. there's still people concerned that Darnold is going to become a real QB

2 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

He didn't play for two years.

It's unsurprising that he struggled after that much time off.  I'm on the record many times that I would've picked up his fifth year option. 

I won't be shocked if he plays pretty well this year. 

As soon as he gets paid (if he gets paid) Thats going to be it. Done Fried finished. I think the entire league knows that and he will get a bare minimum contract to prove he can 1. Stay healthy and 2. Not go back to being a fat slob ...I'm not sure he can do either 

12 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Demarco Davis, Danny Woodhead,  John Abraham,  Hugh Douglas,  Arthur maulet, Santana Moss, Leonard Williams,  Blake Cashman, Frankie Luvu, Jason Ferguson,  James farrier, Darrelle Revis, folorenzo fatukasi, George fant, Joe Flacco....

You have a loose definition of what a star is. 

The Jets are no different than any other team where they have players that go on to be better for their second team, but "the ones that got away" are few and far between. 

1 hour ago, shawn306 said:

The minute he leaves the Jets he will become an All-Pro. Guaranteed.

Like every other OL that leaves here I expect him to play better, but just how good he becomes depends on his health and how bad he wants it.

43 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

How about Kalif Raymond?  He was here a few weeks and couldn't even stick on a tanking squad.  In 2023 he is in the playoffs as the Lions 3rd WR option, (5th overall behind LaPorta and Gibbs) getting more catches, yards and targets than Jameson Williams. 

See how hard you have to dig? Lol. He was here for a month. Came into the league in 2016 - got a starting job with Lions in 2021 after being with Denver, Jets, Giants, and Titans. 

I'm not losing sleep over that type of player.

12 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Demarco Davis, Danny Woodhead,  John Abraham,  Hugh Douglas,  Arthur maulet, Santana Moss, Leonard Williams,  Blake Cashman, Frankie Luvu, Jason Ferguson,  James farrier, Darrelle Revis, folorenzo fatukasi, George fant, Joe Flacco....

Demario Davis is probably the best one actually. He was here TWICE - and actually became a top tier player elsewhere. 

The rest? Idk what you're doing - you're just throwing names out there. Arthur Maulet lol.