Time for a reality check! What will the Jets need to give up in the draft to be able to trade away Zach Wilson?

If the Jets keep Zach Wilson, he will be just taking up a roster spot, and will be inactive every single week.  If we release Zach, our dead money hit will double to $11.2M for this year.  If we keep him, it's $5.7M.

It's in the Jets best interests to trade Zach, but it seems no one wants him or his $5.7M salary.  But, if the Jets can entice another team into trading for him, maybe giving up a couple of 7th round draft picks plus Zach, maybe we can get him out of here?

What do you think?

I think cutting and keeping is the same as far as cap hit. Trading him saves approx 5.5 million (his gtd salary).  So it comes down to what is free roster spot and 5mill in cap relief worth. Best we can hope for I think is Zack and a 6th for 7th or some sort of pick swap.

• Upvote 4

They’d have to take on at least 10 of the 11 million to move him imo. I don’t know if Woody is willing to do that. Also, if the team who wants him Zach’s not really jiving with, he’d likely want to be back with the Jets.

• WTF? 2

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

They’d have to take on at least 10 of the 11 million to move him imo. I don’t know if Woody is willing to do that. Also, if the team who wants him Zach’s not really jiving with, he’d likely want to be back with the Jets.

Zach Wilson is due 5.4 million in 2024. They wouldn't have to take on 10 or 11 million. 

• Upvote 2

i think the real question is whether it's real money or cap money.  if it's just cap money then at some point they should just rip the bandage off.  but there still may be some in the organization who don't want to give him away for nothing so they need a team who thinks they can use him.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, bicketybam said:

Zach Wilson is due 5.4 million in 2024. They wouldn't have to take on 10 or 11 million. 

I think in order to trade him though. My thoughts are a team wouldn’t want to pay him more than what Russell is getting from Pittsburgh. What do you think will happen?

5 minutes ago, Barkus said:

I think cutting and keeping is the same as far as cap hit. Trading him saves approx 5.5 million (his gtd salary).  So it comes down to what is free roster spot and 5mill in cap relief worth. Best we can hope for I think is Zack and a 6th for 7th or some sort of pick swap.

6th and 7th round picks are gambles anyway, so if a team would take him along with our 6th round pick, I would be all for it!

• Upvote 2

Just now, rangerous said:

i think the real question is whether it's real money or cap money.  if it's just cap money then at some point they should just rip the bandage off.  but there still may be some in the organization who don't want to give him away for nothing so they need a team who thinks they can use him.

He's only due 5.4 million in payments. The cap hit is 11 million. 

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

I think in order to trade him though. My thoughts are a team wouldn’t want to pay him more than what Russell is getting from Pittsburgh. What do you think will happen?

The Jets can pay for part of his salary in a trade.  That's the easy part.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Larz said:

“Haters” still obsessed lol

I'm not hating.  I'm talking reality.  Trading Zach or cutting him are two completely different things.  Keeping him is taking up a roster spot that someone else can grab.  

No hate here, just real talk.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Some Options:

Jets trade him and don't take on any part of his salary. Save 5.4 mil in cash, save 5.4 in cap. Get something from other team.

Jet trade him and eat 4.4 mil. Jets save 1 mil in cash and 1 mil in cap (cap hit is 10 mil instead of 11.) Get something from other team.

Jets cut him. Jets save no cash (he's guaranteed that 5.4 mil) and no cap. Cap hit is 11 mil. We get nothing. Matt can breathe easy.

There are more benefits to the Jets in the first two options than there are in just cutting him. Until a trade is completely ruled out, outright cutting him makes no sense, especially since he is now QB3.

Oh, keeping him on the roster is the same as cutting him cash and cap-wise but you eat up a roster spot that could go towards a developmental QB. Matt has coronary.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Alka said:

If the Jets keep Zach Wilson, he will be just taking up a roster spot, and will be inactive every single week.  If we release Zach, our dead money hit will double to $11.2M for this year.  If we keep him, it's $5.7M.

It's in the Jets best interests to trade Zach, but it seems no one wants him or his $5.7M salary.  But, if the Jets can entice another team into trading for him, maybe giving up a couple of 7th round draft picks plus Zach, maybe we can get him out of here?

What do you think?

Hold on to yourself.  Considering the money/cap, I think the best thing they can do is keep him as a number three.  Bad for Wilson, fans will go nutz, but it makes sense with the $$$.

16 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I agree with this.

18 minutes ago, Alka said:

The Jets can pay for part of his salary in a trade.  That's the easy part.

If that's the concern, the Jets don't need to trade anything away to get rid of him.

The team can cut him and whatever another team pays for the year reduces the rookie contract pay owed by this team. He doesn't need another team to give him much of anything and he still makes overall $5.4mm. 

10 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Hold on to yourself.  Considering the money/cap, I think the best thing they can do is keep him as a number three.  Bad for Wilson, fans will go nutz, but it makes sense with the $$$.

The optics of keeping him is bad, but if something were to happen to Rodgers, then you are an injury away from bringing in Zach as your QB.  This is completely unacceptable not only to Jets fans, but to the entire team.  And the Jets will continue to look like a clown show.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Alka said:

The optics of keeping him is bad, but if something were to happen to Rodgers, then you are an injury away from bringing in Zach as your QB.  This is completely unacceptable not only to Jets fans, but to the entire team.  And the Jets will continue to look like a clown show.

It may be unacceptable to most jets fans but it is totally acceptable to the owner who still thinks Zach can be something in the NFL

Woody came out and said that the jets didn’t have a backup last year 

list the teams that have traded for PS QBs in the last 10 years here: _______

Zach can’t hurt you anymore. He’s getting cut and JD is going to have to eat it. 

It’s possible someone takes a flyer on him but nobody is trading for him. 

• Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

If that's the concern, the Jets don't need to trade anything away to get rid of him.

The team can cut him and whatever another team pays for the year reduces the rookie contract pay owed by this team. He doesn't need another team to give him much of anything and he still makes overall $5.4mm. 

I guess I'm a little confused.  If the Jets release him, they owe him his $5.4M, but the Jets will have a cap hit of $11.2M

If he is traded, then there is no cap hit of $11.2M.     Yes, if another team picks him up, the Jets will reduce the $5.4M we owe him by around probably $1M, but we still have the cap hit, unless I'm wrong about that?

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

Woody came out and said that the jets didn’t have a backup last year 

list the teams that have traded for PS QBs in the last 10 years here: _______

Zach can’t hurt you anymore. He’s getting cut and JD is going to have to eat it. 

It’s possible someone takes a flyer on him but nobody is trading for him. 

I think you seem to make the most sense here.  The guy is worthless, and Woody didn't help himself by saying that the Jets didn't have a backup last year.  

I was at the game this past year against the Patriots, and the QB play of Zach was pathetic.  Losing that game, and in the way we lost it, really ended our season.

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

Lake is a $10 million hit.  I don’t remember a lot of angst about that here. 

IMG_8563.jpeg

Boy, that cap hit on Laken really hurts!  He must have really been a cancer for JD not to bring him back for another year, and avoid that hit!

12 minutes ago, Alka said:

I guess I'm a little confused.  If the Jets release him, they owe him his $5.4M, but the Jets will have a cap hit of $11.2M

If he is traded, then there is no cap hit of $11.2M.     Yes, if another team picks him up, the Jets will reduce the $5.4M we owe him by around probably $1M, but we still have the cap hit, unless I'm wrong about that?

This is correct. 

The cap hit is higher for the Jets because about half of that hit is money the Jets already paid him (the fourth prorated/amortized 1/4 of his original SB). It has to come off because they paid it.

Any new team didn’t pay that. A team only incurs cap hits for money they themselves paid to a player. That would be only the $5.4MM new money for this season (or however much of it is worked out between the two teams if he’s traded).

• Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Alka said:

His prorated bonus cap hit of 5.5 is unavoidable, cut, traded, or kept. His 5.5 gtd salary can be massaged depending on what the team does. Another option is keeping him through training camp and see if another qb gets injured to open up a trade opportunity.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Larz said:

Lake is a $10 million hit.  I don’t remember a lot of angst about that here. 

IMG_8563.jpeg

It was a little different. That was pushing his salary forward. Most of Zach’s hit (if cut) was advance payment for this season as signing bonus.

Sunk cap cost either way, but it’s not apples to apples.

• Upvote 1