Has Douglas Learned???

Granted he's trying to complete a successful free agent period.  But there
are two players who are eligible to be extended, DJ Reed & Michael Carter.
Those two along with Gardner has given the Jets a top flight secondary.
Will Douglas try to lock one or both of them up before they get too expensive?
Or will we see another Bryce Huff situation?

I think he’ll want to re-sign sauce and carter and then find a free agent replacement for reed or even draft one.  That’s not to say he’ll simply let him walk without trying to extend but I don’t think he’ll see it as a must do.  It depends on the market.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, rangerous said:

I think he’ll want to re-sign sauce and carter and then find a free agent replacement for reed or even draft one.  That’s not to say he’ll simply let him walk without trying to extend but I don’t think he’ll see it as a must do.  It depends on the market.

He has to extend Sauce, and then JJ and Wilson, all who will want large contracts.   Depends on how much is projected to be left after that.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Joe Douglas literally has no priority other than making the playoffs in 2024 and saving his job 

This is why most teams do not allow lame duck gm by the way 

So next year's first rounder just might be gone as we make  trades.Maybe even the second rounder

5 minutes ago, chirorob said:

He has to extend Sauce, and then JJ and Wilson, all who will want large contracts.   Depends on how much is projected to be left after that.

We’ll see what he does with breece too.  All of these guys will be coming due around the same time.  Of course what happens if they don’t start winning?  At that point maybe you start trading away some to bring in another crop of draftees.  It’s a business.  Can’t have everything.

• Upvote 2

Bills just re-signed their nickel back to a 3 year extension worth $31m. That likely sets the bar on what an extension for MCII would require.

The Bills scenario also affords them some cap relief this year (their guy was due about 12.5m this year). We wouldn't get the same with MCII. So is now a good time to extend him? Or wait till after the year and risk the price being higher, but delaying the increased cap hit?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I thought they were already talking to Reed about an extension?  Extending Reed could add some cap for 2024.  They might need that to sign a WR.  For Carter that is unlikely.  I imagine they won't work on that much until they are done spending.  FWIW, GM Rodgers has said some very complimentary things about Carter II. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, rangerous said:

We’ll see what he does with breece too.  All of these guys will be coming due around the same time.  Of course what happens if they don’t start winning?  At that point maybe you start trading away some to bring in another crop of draftees.  It’s a business.  Can’t have everything.

Breece will be a likely franchise tag recipient while Sauce, Wilson, and JJ all have their fifth year options executed. 

• Upvote 3

I agree with @bitonti about the priority this year being "all-in" and since these two are already under favorable contracts and have performed well, this just isn't important right now.

But to the broader point, I just wonder about how much we're willing to allocate to corners.

• Sauce will get paid a massive contract; we can safely assume that.
  • The priority of this team on the defensive side of the ball has always been the defensive line. If Rex had a sign around his neck saying "bring me corners", Saleh has one that says "bring me pass rushers". 

So where are we going to take the hit?

• We can safely assume that safety and linebacker are "budget" positions - but that's true for most good teams (other than the occasional outlier like Fred Warner that deserves outlier compensation).

On the other side of the ball, we can assume Garrett Wilson will be re-signed.

We can also assume that we'll need two starting tackles in the very near future. They don't come cheap and it's very likely we'll have to sign one and draft the other. 

Obviously the Rodgers situation - how long he plays here - complicates future planning. AVT? Breece? Jermaine?  

I guess I'm comfortable letting DJ Reed and Carter II play out their deal and reassessing at that time as opposed to feeling like we've got to do something now. 

Assuming we always aspire to maintain a top-tier defensive line, which is a philosophy I endorse, the choice between maintaining a really good secondary and a leaky offensive line or vice-versa, I'd prefer to have the latter than the former. 

Things aren't always that black and white, but if I had to plan for future budgets, knowing full-well I've got big money going to Sauce & Garrett, along with choices on AVT, Breece & JJ II coming up combined with very clear needs @ both tackle positions on the horizon - I'm good with losing both DJ Reed and MC II, as much as I respect what they've done here.

The #1 thing he needs to have learned that was his tragic fail last year was going after Rodgers buddies all of whom stunk.

You ask Rodgers the type of guys he likes that that is it.   You do not 'run players or coaches by him.'   Screw that, QBs are paid to play QB gms and coaches are paid to provide the team and support.

2 hours ago, KRL said:

Granted he's trying to complete a successful free agent period.  But there
are two players who are eligible to be extended, DJ Reed & Michael Carter.
Those two along with Gardner has given the Jets a top flight secondary.
Will Douglas try to lock one or both of them up before they get too expensive?
Or will we see another Bryce Huff situation?

Good chance that woody put a leash on JD as far as handing out long term extensions and decisions that could impact this team in the long term. Most of the deals we have seen this offseason are short term or restructures that help for this season. If he’s truly on the hot seat, woody may not allow JD to hand out long term contracts until he has proven that he should be here beyond 2024…

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

Breece will be a likely franchise tag recipient while Sauce, Wilson, and JJ all have their fifth year options executed. 

i think so too.  but maybe the other guys get their contracts renegotiated before there fifth year option kicks in.

i think Saleh trusts his defensive coaching skills that he doesnt worry about some of these guys.

develops Huff and QW(LB). JJ too. Adams had a good year. think about it, every move except Lawson has worked on the defense and thats a credit to Saleh. and Lawson got hurt and missed the season. who knows how that could have turned out if he didnt.

and who knows who could be available in FA next year. Reed and MC2 might want too much money and Saleh can work with guys making less. 

alot of money is going to have to be spent soon on the defense. Sause, JJ must get paid. and QW(LB) only got a 2-3 year deal and will have to get paid again. that guy is great.

until Saleh fails on the defense i think we should all shut up and let him do his thing. 

Reed has been gone for quite some time now.  sh*t's going to be tight with Rodgers' contract and extensions coming for Sauce, Garrett, JJ, Breece, AVT(if he stays healthy).  I think they'll lock up Carter to a relatively inexpensive contract and then trust they can develop a CB2.  Wouldn't be surprised if they take one in the 4th or later this year.  Between whoever that is and JBC, they'll have bodies they can try to groom for that spot.  Worst case if neither impress, then yeah they'll have to invest an early pick into one next year(maybe a 2nd or 3rd;  1st should be a QB).