Official NFL Draft Rumors and News Thread

24 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Just because injuries are common doesn’t mean that we have to invest a Top 10 pick on an insurance policy.

A lot of people seem to think that Tyron Smith is one and done here.

Why?

When he’s on the field, he’s still up there with Trent Williams as the best LT in football. If Smith starts 13 games during the regular season and is still playing at a high level, the Jets aren’t letting him walk. They’re either extending him on a hefty 2-3 year deal or slapping him with the franchise tag.

I’m not going to bitch and moan if the Jets draft an OT, but it’s going to suck if Bowers goes on to be Kelce 2.0 and we passed on him for a “solid” OL who is best equipped to play guard.

It’s not that injuries are common. It’s that it’s been a consistent pattern with Smith and AVT. So it’s hard to fault the insurance policy of a top OL at 10. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

So this week they’re bringing in Latham, bowers and fautanu.  Does this mean they’ve finalized their boards and want a closer look at these guys, or are they just smokescreens and they have no intention of taking them?  I still say they’d take fuaga over these OL.  And if bowers is available when the jets pick this board is going to go insane. 

Could be right re: Fuaga. By all accounts, we haven't had him in for a top-30

2 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Schrager’s mock has Nabers going 9 to colts.  I don’t think it’s impossible he falls to us at 10

Your right nothing is impossible but you have to admit it's very unlikely, And if the Colts take Malik Nabers, like you just pointed out we're right where Schrager predicts us to be with Bowers. 

Rather, I'm hoping this is Rodgers opinion and reaction if we make the pick at 8

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Schrager’s mock has Nabers going 9 to colts.  I don’t think it’s impossible he falls to us at 10

Saw that too. Trading up to 9 would probably cost us a 4th this year or a 3rd next year

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

It’s not that injuries are common. It’s that it’s been a consistent pattern with Smith and AVT. So it’s hard to fault the insurance policy of a top OL at 10. 

I get that, but why does that insurance policy require a Top 10 pick?

Why can’t the Jets draft an OT at #72?

Why can’t the Jets sign a Donovan Smith or David Bakhtiari after the draft?

Hell, we just took Mitchell and Warren in the 4th round of back to back drafts. Are we already saying those were wasted picks? Especially after the promise Warren showed in limited playing time as a rookie after missing basically all of the offseason program?

There’s more than one way to solve a problem.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

15 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Hell, we just took Mitchell and Warren in the 4th round of back to back drafts. Are we already saying those were wasted picks? Especially after the promise Warren showed in limited playing time as a rookie after missing basically all of the offseason program?

I view it differently.  Say the jets took fuaga, i view him as the starter and the other guy as the insurance policy.  And also this pick reflects on how douglas views his job.  If he takes bowers he’s saying to heck with the OL next year, I’ll find band aids again if I’m here.  But if he takes a guy like fuaga, it says I’m here next season and even if Rodgers isn’t I’m finally building this line and we’re gonna have another qb be safe back there.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

I view it differently.  Say the jets took fuaga, i view him as the starter and the other guy as the insurance policy.  And also this pick reflects on how douglas views his job.  If he takes bowers he’s saying to heck with the OL next year, I’ll find band aids again if I’m here.  But if he takes a guy like fuaga, it says I’m here next season and even if Rodgers isn’t I’m finally building this line and we’re gonna have another qb be safe back there.  

Bro, Joe Alt could fall to the Jets and he still wouldn’t start over Tyron Smith.

Smith isn’t Duane Brown

He became the best LT the Jets have ever had as soon as he signed on the dotted line. He just graded out as the best pass blocking LT in football in his 13th season.

If Smith is healthy, he’s still an absolute monster.

And if he can stay (relatively) healthy, the Jets aren’t letting him walk.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

Bro, Joe Alt could fall to the Jets and he still wouldn’t start over Tyron Smith.

Smith isn’t Duane Brown

He became the best LT the Jets have ever had as soon as he signed on the dotted line. He just graded out as the best pass blocking LT in football in his 13th season.

If Smith is healthy, he’s still an absolute monster.

And if he can stay (relatively) healthy, the Jets aren’t letting him walk.

I’m not talking left tackle.  I specifically said fuaga.  If the jets take fuaga, he will start at RT, and Moses will be the backup.  Also, i can see them taking fautanu and having him play G and then move to LT in a year or two.  

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I’m not talking left tackle.  I specifically said fuaga.  If the jets take fuaga, he will start at RT, and Moses will be the backup.  Also, i can see them taking fautanu and having him play G and then move to LT in a year or two.  

The Jets just picked up Moses, a rock solid starting RT who is making $5 million, for a late round pick swap.

So why are we trying to spend a Top 10 pick on another one?

Like I’ve said, Jets fans have become so traumatized by the OL over the last 5 years that they think you can’t find good ones outside of the 1st round.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

The Jets just picked up Moses, a rock solid starting RT who is making $5 million, for a late round pick swap.

B/c it’s sometimes important to remember that the jets right now have the oldest qbs and OTs in the entire nfl.  It’s why they need another tackle and another qb.  

Not coincidentally this is what happens when you draft becton and zach wilson.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Like I’ve said, Jets fans have become so traumatized by the OL over the last 5 years that they think you can’t find good ones outside of the 1st round.

The problem is the Jets havent found good lineman outside of the first (except Tippman).  I would love for us to get a tackle or guard in the 3rd or 4th but JD hasnt been able to find that guy yet.  I dont wat to over reach for a WR at 10 if the top guys are gone to then pick a T in the third whos a long shot at best. It would just seem like they can get a top O lineman at 10 and still get a good WR in the 3rd.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

First, I wouldn’t see an OL as an insurance policy. I’d see that player as a favorite to win the starting LG or RT spot as a rookie. Douglas did a nice job shoring up the OL in free agency, but he didn’t exactly do it with world beaters. Moses is a nice player, but you can certainly upgrade from him with the tenth pick in the draft. 

We can look at the TE position the same way you’re looking at the OL. They have a solid Morgan Moses or better level starter in Conklin, they have a third round pick that they’re high on in Ruckert, and the 10.0 RAS guy in Kuntz who they carried on the 53 all year to play a total of six snaps. Like Mitchell/Warren, they have some clay to work with there. 

At WR, though, it gets dicey quickly after Wilson and Williams, and Williams probably won’t be ready for the start of camp. That’s where I’d focus and JD has been willing to spend #10 as well as a couple second rounders on the position so far, too. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Warren started 4 games last year after missing the entire offseason program and he didn’t embarrass himself.

It seems like everyone has forgotten that Warren probably would’ve been a 2nd round pick if he didn’t bang up his knee late in his senior season.

We already giving up on this guy or something? For what reason?

I am certainly not giving up on Warren, but i also think that it would be irresponsible based on what he did last year to have him as your sole swing tackle or think he's your starter of the future.  If he develops into that its great, but i think you i have an opportunity to pick a top O lineman and as Augustiniak said, give you versatility at a few positions.  That helps you this year and in future years when Smith and Moses are both free agents again.   

• Upvote 1

Because you're going to need a high end,  cheap, starting tackle on at least 1 side next season and despite what anyone thinks, JD is planning on being here next season. 

#10 OT isn't an insurance policy. You need high level line play to ensure Rodgers can safely navigate a 17 game season. We can't afford this guy taking many hits. Do you understand, considering his age and injury,  he's probably not gonna move more than a few feet inside the pocket? Based on recent evidence, it's highly likely a rookie logs significant snaps over the course of the season. What is this narrative that he would be languishing on the bench? I pray that would be the case.

The second smith goes down, and warren/mitchell/developmental 3rd rd pick/donovan smith/corpse of bhaktiari comes in and gets Rodgers killed and the season ends again in week 6, all you people will grab your pitch forks, rush OJD demanding blood for JD failing to address oline again. Don't you understand the best way to guarantee a prolonged run deep into the playoffs is simply to assure Rodgers is on the field, regardless if there's a super awesome hybrid TE rookie out there with him? Why can't we just draft a damn slot reciever in rd 3? Why should we use a #10 on a luxury player when we have CORE needs?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Because you're going to need a high end,  cheap, starting tackle on at least 1 side next season and despite what anyone thinks, JD is planning on being here next season. 

#10 OT isn't an insurance policy. You need high level line play to ensure Rodgers can safely navigate a 17 game season. We can't afford this guy taking many hits. Do you understand, considering his age and injury,  he's probably not gonna move more than a few feet inside the pocket? Based on recent evidence, it's highly likely a rookie logs significant snaps over the course of the season. What is this narrative that he would be languishing on the bench? I pray that would be the case.

The second smith goes down, and warren/mitchell/developmental 3rd rd pick/donovan smith/corpse of bhaktiari comes in and gets Rodgers killed and the season ends again in week 6, all you people will grab your pitch forks, rush OJD demanding blood for JD failing to address oline again. Don't you understand the best way to guarantee a prolonged run deep into the playoffs is simply to assure Rodgers is on the field, regardless if there's a super awesome hybrid TE rookie out there with him? Why can't we just draft a damn slot reciever in rd 3? Why should we use a #10 on a luxury player when we have CORE needs?

Aaron Rodgers won his 4th MVP less than 3 years ago with Billy Turner and Dennis Kelly as his starting OT’s.

Let’s not sit here and pretend like we need all pros littered all over the OL.

Traumatized Jets fans are what have made this sh*t a thing.

• Post of the Week 1

+ Fuaga won't be better than Moses at RT in Year 1 or maybe ever as he will most likely excel at guard.

Nothing against Fuaga but I'm not interested in us drafting him to be honest.

22 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Aaron Rodgers won his 4th MVP less than 3 years ago with Billy Turner and Dennis Kelly as his starting OT’s.

So he was 3 years younger and had no major injury at that time, got it. I used to run a 5 minute mile when I was 17. Don't think I can drive a 5 minute mile now.

Listen, I don't want to be extreme here. Bowers is an excellent prospects and does things others can't. I'd root like crazy for the kid if we picked him and I'm sure he'd help us win. I just think the easiest path to derail the season once again is by not having a high quality backup on the OL for several guy who have a recent and extensive injury history. That's playing with fire. I'd be way more comfortable if we at least had 1 tackle spot locked up long term but since we don't, I just keep coming back to OT as the prudent move. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Warren started 4 games last year after missing the entire offseason program and he didn’t embarrass himself.

It seems like everyone has forgotten that Warren probably would’ve been a 2nd round pick if he didn’t bang up his knee late in his senior season.

We already giving up on this guy or something? For what reason?

These are the same people who said Darnold, Wilson, and Geno just needed more time. 

12 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

Saw that too. Trading up to 9 would probably cost us a 4th this year or a 3rd next year

Last year the Bears, the team picking ninth this year, made that exact trade - from 9 to 10 - and the cost they required to move down was a future 4. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

Rookie OL take time, Fuaga has technical flaws that have some project him to guard, and Moses was excellent last year. I would be very surprised to see Fuaga starting over Moses if they’re both healthy. To go to the opposite end of the spectrum and just flatly say he will is just not realistic in my opinion.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Because Donovan Smith is the reason the Chiefs didn’t win the Super Bowl 

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Because Donovan Smith is the reason the Chiefs didn’t win the Super Bowl 

The last three Super Bowl winners did not sign their left tackles in free agency.

(this appears to be confusing people, they all did).

• WTF? 1

38 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I want to tip you money for this post. Venmo ok?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, derp said:

Last year the Bears, the team picking ninth this year, made that exact trade - from 9 to 10 - and the cost they required to move down was a future 4. 

Didn't realize that. Good call. Then it's a no-brainer.

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

This times 1000. If we take a weapon in the first round, he'll be much more of a factor in a win now team. I'd rather have a vet backing up our vets with our small window. If we pick a 3rd round tackle he can still battle with Warren and Mitchell for backup duty. Warren and Mitchell with the new guys will be vastly improved just based on the quality of players on the line that they will play with. Now if a weapon isn't there at ten I would trade back and grab some more picks and go for best value at WR or OT. 3rd round is still a very high pick - especially for a backup swing tackle.

• Upvote 1

I'd call it drafting for the future.

If you have a chance to draft a starting caliber OT - you do it.

Last season should have shown us all that you CAN'T have enough starters - or capable back-ups, where the OL is concerned.

For the record I'd be O.K. with one of the top 3 WR's (Odunze, Nabors or Harrison Jrat 10 as well, but don't think that will pan out.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I'd call it drafting for the future.

If you have a chance to draft a starting caliber OT - you do it.

Last season should have shown us all that you CAN'T have enough starters - or capable back-ups, where the OL is concerned.

For the record I'd be O.K. with one of the top 3 WR's (Odunze, Nabors or Harrison Jrat 10 as well, but don't think that will pan out.

I don’t care about drafting for the future.

People are talking about an OL at #10 who may not even see the field during A-Rod’s tenure here.

I don’t care about protecting the next inevitable bust at QB. I care about building as strong of a team we can over the next two years and hopefully cashing in.

I won’t hate an OT like if we picked another edgerusher, but it would be the most “meh” pick we could possibly make.

• Upvote 1