Official NFL Draft Rumors and News Thread

11 minutes ago, Claymation said:

ESPN has Corley ranked #94.

PFF has him at #62

Tankathon has him #68

So yeah, he is in play in the 3rd.

I think at least 5 WRs go in Round 1. With an additional 5 gone in Round 2. And that for me is at the bare minimum. If the Jets are waiting for a WR and plan to use a 3rd on one. They IMO are likely getting a guy somewhere around the 12th to 15th or so best WR in this draft.

1st round for sure: MHJ, Naber, Odunze, Thomas Jr.

Guys I think go late 1st or very very early 2nd: Worthy, Mitchell, Coleman

2nd round for sure (or possibly even 1st): Franklin, Legette, McConkey

That's 10 guys I think for sure are gone by Round 3.

Guys who possibly could be there for us in the 3rd are Polk, Corley, Wilson, Pearsall.

But I think at least 1 or 2 of those guys are gone by the time we're on the clock.

• Upvote 1

On 4/13/2024 at 8:57 AM, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

The loss to Miami on Black Friday dropped the team to 5-9, essentially eliminating them from any hopes of playoff contention.

At that point, GW, Sauce and every legit starter should have been benched.

Rest of season should have been treated like NBA “garbage time,” dedicated to developing young players like Maxx Mitchell, Kuntz, JBC, Izzy, Carter Warren, etc.

A 5-12 finish would have given the Jets the 4th overall pick — Washington would be 5-12 also with Jets “winning” H2H tiebreaker — where they’d be locked into Nabers or MHJ or a trade back for a king’s ransom.

Nobody does no-playoffs with no reward for it quite like the NYJ.

And what other knock-on effects happen as a result? Because picking #4 vs picking #10 isn't the only variable that this would affect:

• Do we still run it back with all the coaches intact? Or do we clear house and start another 2+ year rebuild?
  • How many existing players start to demand trades?
  • Which FA signings are no longer interested in playing for a team that curls up and dies when the going gets tough?
  • Do we still trade for the guys that we did (e.g. Reddick), or do we have to work other more urgent trades to fill more obvious holes?
  • Who do we potentially overpay to fill in for those FAs we didn't sign?
  • Which guys are we forced to re-sign due to lack of better options (e.g. Becton)?
  • What other injuries do we suffer as a result of playing all these backup / depth guys?
  • What if other teams "tank harder" and we still end up picking 6th or 7th instead of 4th?

There are so many knock-on effects that you can't just boil it down to having a better draft pick and all else is equal.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, section314 said:

I think he would have been right last year too if not for the swap with Green Bay. That’s who I think we would have taken at that spot.

He still had the Jets taking an edge, just a different one.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Nabers would be perfect fit for this offense.

The Chargers pick will be pivotal.

If they pass on Nabers, there’s at least a reasonable chance he falls to #10.

Giants could obviously take him but they’re not winning anything without a QB.

Naber isn't falling to 10.

Without trades:

• If he gets past the Chargers the Giants will take him
  • If he gets past the Giants the Titans will take him
  • If he gets past the Titans the Falcons will take him
  • If he gets past the Falcons then Bears will take him

Alternate option....If the Chargers don't draft him then there will be a mad rush to trade up to get him, which we would be smart to do honestly.

44 minutes ago, Claymation said:

uh-oh

Bowers it shall be.

Hes very plugged in with the scouts and GM's. I think he usually knows how the board will fall. That being said, if the board falls differently they may go in a different direction. 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

There are prospects who have to run 40’s, has been used to raise their draft slot.  And there are some, like Bowers or a MHJ who don’t.  But especially a Bowers with a documented hammy injury and who’s speed at TE is a given.  That was my point.  

Thing is, if Bowers were to run a 4.42 40, he could propel himself into the top six, while a 4.55 might drop him to the bottom of the round. The hammy issue is a valid excuse for not running the 40, but it’s also a valid red flag. I loved Jelani Woods and his perfect RAS two years ago, but being really fast isn’t very helpful when a bad hamstring sidelines you for an entire season. 

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

This is like one of the worst kept secrets, Bowers to the Jets.

Similar to Sauce to the Jets.

That year Ekwonu was a very popular expectation at #4, with Jermaine Johnson frequently mocked at #10. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, slats said:

Thing is, if Bowers were to run a 4.42 40, he could propel himself into the top six, while a 4.55 might drop him to the bottom of the round. The hammy issue is a valid excuse for not running the 40, but it’s also a valid red flag. I loved Jalani Woods and his perfect RAS two years ago, but being really fast isn’t very helpful when a bad hamstring sidelines you for an entire season. 

That year Ekwonu was a very popular expectation at #4, with Jermaine Johnson frequently mocked at #10. 

Also for bowers, pure straight line speed is not his calling card.  You watch his highlights, he gets open and has a feel for running lanes.  He’s not a breakaway threat most of the time, that’s not where he’s making his money.  So he probably has more to lose than to gain by posting a 40 time

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

Also for bowers, pure straight line speed is not his calling card.  You watch his highlights, he gets open and has a feel for running lanes.  He’s not a breakaway threat most of the time, that’s not where he’s making his money.  So he probably has more to lose than to gain by posting a 40 time

He allegedly ran 22mph in a football game. If he could recreate that in the 40, he could make himself a good amount of money. 

Just now, slats said:

He allegedly ran 22mph in a football game. If he could recreate that in the 40, he could make himself a good amount of money. 

I mean maybe, but still he’s projected to go 10-15 in a class that’s top heavy with wrs and qbs and OTs.  So in this draft, I’m not sure he changes his draft position by running.  He’s a TE in a loaded class at the top.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, slats said:

DJ had the Jets taking Sauce & Shraggs had the Jets taking Sauce. Those 2 are making selections on what they are hearing.

Rest is just folly.

18 minutes ago, Wit said:

Can we just call Bowers a WR? That would make me feel better. TE's take time to learn to properly block. If they are going to use him as the slot number three, I guess I can live with that. 

If the goal is a slot weapon, it has to be Nabers over Bowers all day.

Bowers did so much of his damage receiving easy touches behind the LOS on screens or in the flat whereas Nabers was running real routes with an ADOT of 12.0 and still breaking tackles and making people miss after the catch downfield.

It's easy to project a guy will be able to do something at the next level based on raw traits and athleticism.

Not saying Bowers won't be able to run a full route tree effectively, but until you see evidence he is actually able to do it, who knows.

Nabers looks like a legit gamebreaker to me, whereas Bowers will be more scheme and usage dependent.

Every player is scheme and usage and QB dependent to varying degrees, but I guess what I mean is Nabers looks like he could come in on day 1 and maybe have a Jamarr Chase or ODB type impact.  And with a 40y old QB, that's what you need.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Bowers did so much of his damage receiving easy touches behind the LOS on screens or in the flat whereas Nabers was running real routes with an ADOT of 12.0 and still breaking tackles and making people miss after the catch downfield.

It's easy to project a guy will be able to do something at the next level based on raw traits and athleticism.

I'm not saying Bowers won't be able to run a full route tree effectively, but until you see evidence he is actually able to do it, who knows.

Nabers looks like a legit gamebreaker to me, whereas Bowers will be more scheme and usage dependent.

Every player is scheme and usage and QB dependent to varying degrees, but I guess what I mean is Nabers looks like he could come in on day 1 and maybe have a Jamarr Chase or ODB type impact.  And with a 40y old QB, that's what you need.

you watch bowers highlights and it's unfair to say he's a gadget player.  he does run downfield and get open, catch and run.  he's just not as sick of an athlete as nabers.

• Upvote 2

The fact that they scheduled Bowers to visit the same day AR8 arrived in the building for the first time this offseason is no coincidence at all. Obviously, a lot depends on what players other teams drafting before us select but it seems like there is a really good shot this is the guy we are drafting.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

you watch bowers highlights and it's unfair to say he's a gadget player.  he does run downfield and get open, catch and run.  he's just not as sick of an athlete as nabers.

Yeah I wouldn't go as far as to call Bowers a gadget player.

He's obviously a good prospect.  It's not like I think he's a scrub.

I just don't think he's going to have the kind of game-changing impact people assume he is going to have.

If the Jets drafted him, I'm pretty sure he'd be a useful player.

The kind of explosiveness running routes that Nabers has and beast-like work after the catch are special though.  MHJ doesn't even have that.

MHJ looks better at the catch point though.  Odunze and MHJ catch everything.

If there's a knock on Nabers, it looks like he doesn't necessarily feel comfortable extending his arms trying to catch balls that are outside his frame.

At times he waits for passes to get to him rather than attacking the ball in the air like prime Odell used to.

7 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Yeah I wouldn't go as far as to call Bowers a gadget player.

He's obviously a good prospect.  It's not like I think he's a scrub.

I just don't think he's going to have the kind of game-changing impact people assume he is going to have.

If the Jets drafted him, I'm pretty sure he'd be a useful player.

The kind of explosiveness running routes that Nabers has and beast-like work after the catch are special though.  MHJ doesn't even have that.

MHJ looks better at the catch point though.  Odunze and MHJ catch everything.

If there's a knock on Nabers, it looks like he doesn't necessarily feel comfortable extending his arms trying to catch balls that are outside his frame.

At times he waits for passes to get to him rather than attacking the ball in the air like prime Odell used to.

even the best TEs are not explosive, they're consistent and kill teams with their ability to get first downs and find yards.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Naber isn't falling to 10.

Without trades:

• If he gets past the Chargers the Giants will take him
  • If he gets past the Giants the Titans will take him
  • If he gets past the Titans the Falcons will take him
  • If he gets past the Falcons then Bears will take him

Alternate option....If the Chargers don't draft him then there will be a mad rush to trade up to get him, which we would be smart to do honestly.

Hard to predict trades and who knows what teams are thinking in their war rooms, but based on their current situations, I don't see it that way.

*  Titans OL is in abysmal shape, and they just signed Calvin Ridley to a mega-deal to pair with DeAndre Hopkins.  Brian Callahan hired his dad Bill to run the OL and the guy is famous for emphasizing the run game.  I even remember one time when he was coaching against the Jets, I think the Raiders ran the ball every single play of their opening drive (like 15 plays in a row 🤣) and scored a TD.

The Titans are taking an OT.  Just a question of which one.

*  Falcons are locked in with Drake London and Kyle Pitts not to mention Bijan who could be 100 rec guy in the right offense.  Their HC is defensive-minded.  They need to bolster their pass rush.  Nabers would be a possibility but seems unlikely.

*  Bears have DJ Moore and just traded for Keenan Allen, plus they have Kmet.  They need protection for Caleb Williams.  I keep seeing WRs mocked to the Bears, and it doesn't seem to make much sense.  Williams took a ton of sacks in college.  They need to keep him healthy and upright.  An EDGE would make sense too.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Hard to predict trades and who knows what teams are thinking in their war rooms, but based on their current situations, I don't see it that way.

*  Titans OL is in abysmal shape, and they just signed Calvin Ridley to a mega-deal to pair with DeAndre Hopkins.  Brian Callahan hired his dad Bill to run the OL and the guy is famous for emphasizing the run game.  I even remember one time when he was coaching against the Jets, I think the Raiders ran the ball every single play of their opening drive (like 15 plays in a row 🤣) and scored a TD.

The Titans are taking an OT.  Just a question of which one.

*  Falcons are locked in with Drake London and Kyle Pitts.  Their HC is defensive-minded.  They need to bolster their pass rush.  Nabers would be a possibility but seems unlikely.

*  Bears have DJ Moore and just traded for Keenan Allen, plus  they have Kmet.  They need protection for Caleb Williams.  I keep seeing WRs mocked to the Bears, and it doesn't seem to make much sense.  Williams took a ton of sacks in college.  They need to keep him healthy and upright.  An EDGE would make sense too.

All your points are valid and make sense. However, all of that stuff goes out the window when you have a playmaker who is that good and Nabers is that good.

• Titans are definitely taking OL....unless someone like MHJ or Nabers is there
  • Same for ATL....they're going D, unless they can get playmaker like Nabers. Pitts and London are good but not game changers like Nabers is
  • Sympathy 1

On 4/10/2024 at 4:43 PM, Claymation said:

Brock Bowers has great hands, to the point where Joel Klatt called him the 2nd best hands in this draft. He can block, is fast enough and has been compared to Keller and Kittles. If you want a WR that would be a 3rd option. Fine. If you want an OT because you want assurance that AR will stay upright because someone got hurt. Fine. But trying to say Bowers isn’t good, that’s just silly. 

I am not sure I want Bowers. I actually think we should take Penix at 10 but I thought Zach was the greatest prospect ever so there's that. I did REALLY like Mahomes though. 

But from the video I have seen of Bowers he seems to have elite YAC capability and that weird trait of always finding the open spot like Kelcie does (not saying he will be good), so I would be OK with it.

On the other hand all of the tackles petrify me at 10 TBH. They guy I like if we did a couple trade downs would be Graham Barton who has a very high floor.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

Thing is, if Bowers were to run a 4.42 40, he could propel himself into the top six, while a 4.55 might drop him to the bottom of the round. The hammy issue is a valid excuse for not running the 40, but it’s also a valid red flag. I loved Jelani Woods and his perfect RAS two years ago, but being really fast isn’t very helpful when a bad hamstring sidelines you for an entire season. 

Yeah it's reasonable to think Bowers would have run and tested if he thought it would improve his draft stock.

There are millions of guaranteed $ on the line based on how the salaries are slotted for each pick.

He stands to lose a lot if his explosiveness numbers are actually underwhelming.

On the top-30 visit, if you're the Jets, are you allowed to run him and test him in your practice bubble?

Seems like info you'd want to know.

MHJ didn't test because he has nothing to gain.  He's already perceived as the top non-QB prospect in the entire draft.

36 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Not saying Bowers won't be able to run a full route tree effectively, but until you see evidence he is actually able to do it, who knows.

I just cant get behind this complaint. He was completely elite at those schemed plays with ridiculous amounts of YAC and he made a lot of plays down the field. SF lives off dumpoffs and YAC yet somehow it is a negative for Bowers. If it was so easy to be dominant on those types of plays they would be highly rated too, no?  And if it was so easy wouldn't they do it with all TEs? Breece got a lot of yardage on schemed plays like this too.

Not saying I want him to be the pick but literally taking something he is elite at and making it a negative is frankly dumb

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Wit said:

Can we just call Bowers a WR? That would make me feel better. TE's take time to learn to properly block. If they are going to use him as the slot number three, I guess I can live with that. 

Said the same last week. I think the perception of him changes if people do (call him a WR).

The way some of you envision Bowers makes me think of Taysom Hill and the way NO uses him (minus the passing).  

I know there's been a lot of 'black helicopter' speculation that this is Rodgers' choice to make, but honestly, I think his input will be very important.  If he feels he can use Bowers to juice up the offense, and is okay with the state of the OL, his opinions probably matters a lot.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Yeah it's reasonable to think Bowers would have run and tested if he thought it would improve his draft stock.

There are millions of guaranteed $ on the line based on how the salaries are slotted for each pick.

He stands to lose a lot if his explosiveness numbers are actually underwhelming.

On the top-30 visit, if you're the Jets, are you allowed to run him and test him in your practice bubble?

Seems like info you'd want to know.

MHJ didn't test because he has nothing to gain.  He's already perceived as the top non-QB prospect in the entire draft.

I'm pretty sure there's no athletic testing during top-30 visits.

16 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

I just cant get behind this complaint. He was completely elite at those schemed plays with ridiculous amounts of YAC and he made a lot of plays down the field. SF lives off dumpoffs and YAC yet somehow it is a negative for Bowers. If it was so easy to be dominant on those types of plays they would be highly rated too, no?  And if it was so easy wouldn't they do it with all TEs? Breece got a lot of yardage on schemed plays like this too.

Not saying I want him to be the pick but literally taking something he is elite at and making it a negative is frankly dumb

If you're going to think of Bowers a WR, Nabers is a better WR prospect.

That's my main point.

• Upvote 1

Just now, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

That's my main point.

And I'm sure we'd take Nabers (or Rome) if available at 10 over Bowers.

We'd be calling Bowers WR4/5 (depending on how you feel about BT Jr) in this draft

1 minute ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

That's my main point.

Great

And Nabers is likely a Top 6-7 pick. You probably aren’t getting him without giving up #72 and more.

Bowers has a very real, even likely, chance of being on the board at #10.

I haven’t heard hardly anyone say they would take Bowers over a guy like Alt or one of the Top 3 wideouts.

But assuming those guys are gone, Bowers is bound to be a finalist at #10 and is a legit bluechip pass catcher.

• Upvote 1