Official NFL Draft Rumors and News Thread

27 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Okay.  I finally understand which post about the GPS numbers.  It is totally irrelevant to my point.  I am not saying Bowers hit 21.9 in 2021 he is super fast.   I am saying the teams have gps info from all 3 years.  I don't but it is more relevant to his speed than running at his pro day.

This might be moot since Brock is rumored to have run a 4.53 @ that workout a few days ago. That's fast for his size and does address a big part of my concern. 

But to the larger point, running a 40 seems like the most straightforward measure of speed that's replicable across different prospects and does translate to on-field-play.

Breece Hall ran a 4.39. Tyreek Hill ran 4.29 at his pro day. Jahmyr Gibbs ran a 4.36. All are 'home-run hitters'. 

While a good 40 doesn't mean a good player, a fast 40 does show up on Sundays. 

Either way, if dude ran a 4.53 on the 10th, that's pretty damn legit for his size. It does make me feel better if we were to end up with him.

I'd still prefer a tackle or one of the top 3 receivers - and I think @derp makes the best points here about Brock:

2 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

There is zero carryover between late season wins and the following regular season.

Not true.  We are 1-0 in 2024 and that's the first of many wins in 2024 according to Dear Leader!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

They do it in the nba all the time.

Would have been the smart thing to do in every way.

Injury rate for football is way higher than basketball 

Would have been absolutely foolish to have GW or Sauce go down in a meaningless week 18 game vs NE

a severe injury that late in the year puts the 2024 season in jeopardy 

At that point there is only downside and zero upside 

There is zero carryover between late season wins and the following regular season.

I 100% agree with the sentiment here, but you know exactly why this doesn't happen. This ain't Madden

All those players are grown men who've spent their lives doing this, many of whom will have contract milestones and paydays (or the value of their future contracts) riding on in game production. It's only a 17 game season and players want to win and put up numbers every week. A couple late season tank losses can help your draft stock, but this isn't the NBA where the difference between the 3rd and 8th pick is astronomical. NFL drafts are won/lost through all 7 rounds and sometimes it's far better for players' morale to win. ALSO, those couple extra wins might be the difference between free agents taking you seriously as a "contender" vs not.

How would it have looked to the rest of the league for the Jets to tank it all the way out? Would competitors like Garrett Wilson think twice before signing extensions? Would we still be attracting guys like Mike Williams and tyron Smith on these incentive contracts after doing that? In another universe where the Jets are headed for a full rebuild maybe the full tank makes sense, but I think the Jets needed to try to win last year.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

They do it in the nba all the time.

Would have been the smart thing to do in every way.

Injury rate for football is way higher than basketball 

Would have been absolutely foolish to have GW or Sauce go down in a meaningless week 18 game vs NE

a severe injury that late in the year puts the 2024 season in jeopardy 

At that point there is only downside and zero upside 

The NFL doesn't want a league where playoff teams are decided by how many games they have at the end of the season against opponents who are mailing it in, and frankly neither do I.  I guarantee you there would be a season where the Jets would be eliminated from the playoffs (or, more optimistically, lose homefield advantage in the playoffs) because the team they're competing against for that seeding has a cupcake game vs. an opponent that may have upset them if they were actually trying.

Oh, and by the way, if all eliminated teams were allowed to tank like you're suggesting, those "meaningless" late-season wins you're crying about may not have been avoided anyway because the other team would have been trying harder to throw those games too.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MykePM said:

The NFL doesn't want a league where playoff teams are decided by how many games they have at the end of the season against opponents who are mailing it in, and frankly neither do I.  I guarantee you there would be a season where the Jets would be eliminated from the playoffs (or, more optimistically, lose homefield advantage in the playoffs) because the team they're competing against for that seeding has a cupcake game vs. an opponent that may have upset them if they were actually trying.

The NFL is specifically going to add an 8th team for the playoffs and keep scheduling division games at the end to prevent this tanking idea from happening. It has hurt the image of the NBA

10 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

This might be moot since Brock is rumored to have run a 4.53 @ that workout a few days ago. That's fast for his size and does address a big part of my concern. 

But to the larger point, running a 40 seems like the most straightforward measure of speed that's replicable across different prospects and does translate to on-field-play.

Breece Hall ran a 4.39. Tyreek Hill ran 4.29 at his pro day. Jahmyr Gibbs ran a 4.36. All are 'home-run hitters'. 

While a good 40 doesn't mean a good player, a fast 40 does show up on Sundays. 

Either way, if dude ran a 4.53 on the 10th, that's pretty damn legit for his size. It does make me feel better if we were to end up with him.

I'd still prefer a tackle or one of the top 3 receivers - and I think @derp makes the best points here about Brock:

I'm the last guy you have to convince about speed mattering.  My point remains that teams looking at GPS data for 3 years know how fast he is.  We might not but they do.

• Upvote 2

On 4/13/2024 at 5:25 PM, MykePM said:

Oh, and by the way, if all eliminated teams were allowed to tank like you're suggesting, those "meaningless" late-season wins you're crying about may not have been avoided anyway because the other team would have been trying harder to throw those games too.

If there’s one thing the Jets are unquestionably good at, it’s finding ways to lose 🤣🤣

Just start Timmy Boyle every week instead of cutting him and it’s a guaranteed L.

Bailey Zappe is Dan Marino compared to Boyle 😂

Whatever happened to the days of draft rumors? There used to be countless rumors. The last 2 years it seems like teams have kept a better lid on things. And where’s tony Pauline now? Did he leave pro football network? 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Barton said:

Whatever happened to the days of draft rumors? There used to be countless rumors. The last 2 years it seems like teams have kept a better lid on things. And where’s tony Pauline now? Did he leave pro football network? 

Rex Hogan (the rat) is gone. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Barton said:

The draft coverage is god awful now. The NFL has neutered it and no one can say non positive things about prospects anymore. Even guys like Brugler and Waldman it’s all more or less boiler plate positive and negatives. Boring.

Bob Mcginns coverage starts tomorrow which is by far the best there is. But it’s way too late.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

On 4/11/2024 at 9:48 AM, jetblue95 said:

was that against UAB, samford or ball state (his week 2 opponents each of his 3 years)?

Who it was against changes 21 MPH how exactly?

On 4/11/2024 at 9:40 AM, Warfish said:

If the 40 was such an irrelevant non-issue, why would he not just run one?  Since it's meaningless and all.

I’m guessing because his hammy isn’t right?

And he doesn’t have to.  

29 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You're 100% right, he absolutely doesn't "have to".

In point of fact, no one, not one single prospect "has to" run a 40, or do any other requested pre-draft workout.  Every single one can opt out.

This has never been a question of "must", it's a question of "should" for the prospect, and related, a question of how NFL GM's choose to evaluate those that does/does not participate question on a prospect.

I've said it several times now, top prospects opt out because, generally, they can only hurt their likely draft spot, that cannot improve it, via a workout.  Any sane business person would thus choose to opt out.  The risk then is entirely on the GM who selects that player sans workout.

Bill Polian made a comment the other day …. the only thing in the pre draft process that was truly important is the interview and physical. The rest you can get from scouting and film.

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

Bill Polian made a comment the other day …. the only thing in the pre draft process that was truly important is the interview and physical. The rest you can get from scouting and film.

It's a viewpoint I generally agree with. 

I've often said in the past that the workouts are weighted too heavily by some GM's/Teams, and definitely a subset of fans, and can lead to picking those dreaded "workout warriors" or, these days, "Elite RAS Score" guys who never really put down any tape to justify their high picks, said picks being based purely on athleticism/scores/"potential".

The NFL has made the pre-draft and combine into an entertainment product, so naturally fans "expect" to get their product, including top prospects, so they can obsess over it (just look at JN as an example).

But I tend to agree, look at a players tape in actual games vs. actual opponents, and do a thorough interview whenever possible.  Should be more than enough for a good GM to make a good pick, generally.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

In point of fact, no one, not one single prospect "has to" run a 40, or do any other requested pre-draft workout.  Every single one can opt out.

This has never been a question of "must", it's a question of "should" for the prospect, and related, a question of how NFL GM's choose to evaluate those that does/does not participate question on a prospect.

I've said it several times now, top prospects opt out because, generally, they can only hurt their likely draft spot, that cannot improve it, via a workout.  Any sane business person would thus choose to opt out.  The risk then is entirely on the GM who selects that player sans workout.

There are prospects who have to run 40’s, has been used to raise their draft slot.  And there are some, like Bowers or a MHJ who don’t.  But especially a Bowers with a documented hammy injury and who’s speed at TE is a given.  That was my point.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, section314 said:

That may be true, but Bill Polian also said Lamar Jackson should play WR

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

For sure

It's akin to a political candidate who opts not to participate in a debate when he/she has a big lead in the polls. 

Bowers would be nuts to run, especially if his hammy is still not right 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Gastineau Lives said:

It’s gonna look silly when he’s going into the hall of fame for the team that drafted him because we passed on him

This is like one of the worst kept secrets, Bowers to the Jets.

Similar to Sauce to the Jets.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

For sure

It's akin to a political candidate who opts not to participate in a debate when he/she has a big lead in the polls. 

Bowers would be nuts to run, especially if his hammy is still not right 

By all counts every analyst loves him, so why risk anything

• Upvote 1

Just now, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Funny thing is - none of it is rumors like "Jets are in love with Bowers" etc.

It's just every mock draft, everyone puts the two together. Kinda lazy actually.

Everyone wants to put bowers in the top 10 and b/c of all the qbs and wrs there aren’t other spots.  B/c if it’s not the jets most other mocks have him falling to Indy at 15.  So why not give him to the jets, who need 2 tackles, one more wr and a qb of the future. 

4 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Funny thing is - none of it is rumors like "Jets are in love with Bowers" etc.

It's just every mock draft, everyone puts the two together. Kinda lazy actually.

Schrags does his mock draft based information/intel he receives.

REMINDER: As always, this isn't what I would do -- it's what I'm hearing from my sources around the league.

• Upvote 1

A WR that I wish the Jets take in the 3rd (if he is there) is Malachi Corley. 

Corley is a big, physical wideout who has been asked to carry a heavy workload for Western Kentucky using his talent after the catch. Corley’s highlight reel will be full of broken tackles and general carnage left in his wake. He’s an average route-runner with the tools to improve, but a disappointing drop rate and contested-catch rate are concerns relative to the way he plays the game in space. Like Brandon Aiyuk or Deebo Samuel when they were prospects, Corley has had a heavy percentage of his targets schemed around him and he will need to prove he can become more than just a quick-game bully or gadget guy. He’s good at what his team asked him to do, which is a great jump-off point for evaluators considering him as a Day 2 selection and future starter.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Claymation said:

Corley is a big, physical wideout who has been asked to carry a heavy workload for Western Kentucky using his talent after the catch. Corley’s highlight reel will be full of broken tackles and general carnage left in his wake. He’s an average route-runner with the tools to improve, but a disappointing drop rate and contested-catch rate are concerns relative to the way he plays the game in space. Like Brandon Aiyuk or Deebo Samuel when they were prospects, Corley has had a heavy percentage of his targets schemed around him and he will need to prove he can become more than just a quick-game bully or gadget guy. He’s good at what his team asked him to do, which is a great jump-off point for evaluators considering him as a Day 2 selection and future starter.

I love him. Sounds like Deebo v.2.0 but seriously doubt he makes it to the 3rd round.

3 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Probably gone by mid 2

• Upvote 1