Official NFL Draft Rumors and News Thread

3 minutes ago, derp said:

To me this signals a desire to go pass catcher more than anything else, but who knows. In other words, they'd really like to go WR and want to understand how they feel about Thomas if the top three are off the board and they end up moving down.

I rambled in another thread about how Bowers wouldn't be a Conklin replacement but just a fifth skill player (Wilson, Williams, Hall, Conklin). Someone like Thomas, IMO, would let them put Wilson in the slot more to attack mismatches, give them two big time deep threats on the perimeter, could probably get some gadget stuff too, and then would be a pretty clean fit to step in for Williams after this season. Don't know that they *should* but I'd guess that would be the plan.

Yes, if true it says they’re looking for legit home run threats who stretch the field.  I love the idea.  Don’t love btj that high though.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

I think there’s definitely a chance that Bowers is the pick but it should be stressed that coaches are used, especially at this point, to strategically place smokescreens.  I can tell you with absolute certainty that there is a particular team in the AFC the Jets would like to see jump them for Bowers, pushing Odunze right into reachable territory (pick 8), or directly our laps at 10 if he slips a bit.

Based on what I have heard, I believe the *realistic* (i.e. who they expect to have a more than 50% shot at) top 3 on the Big Board is:

- Odunze

- Fautanu

- Bowers

Of course, someone dropping (MH Jr., Alt, etc.) can alter those plans come draft day, but you can’t prep everything around those hopes.

IMO, everything becomes juicy around pick 7, because there’s probably a short list of guys that you start considering a trade up for if they slip.  Furthermore, I also know that they prefer to trade down if the top WRs are off the board when we pick, but I remain steadfast in my own belief in that nobody is going to offer anything that moves the needle enough for Douglas to pull the trigger.

17 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Conversation with Nathaniel Hackett. (Quoting the message from my source)

Biggest takeaway for me "The OL is set" - he still says it's Joe Douglas' final say but that phrasing re-enforces my feelings that the pick will be a weapon.

Sounds like they want Odunze

fingers crossed

• Upvote 4

Like most GMs Joe Douglas is too attached to his draft capital to do something like this:

But if the franchise really wants to stop screwing around and get real about winning a Super Bowl:

Just go all-in and pony up for MHJ.

They can throw in last year's 1st rounder Will McD if it helps.  Who cares.

Then trade future draft capital to jump back up into rd 1 or early round 2 for Amarius Mims or another high-level LT prospect.

Would be painful next April when the Jets don't have any picks, but if they can actually make a Super Bowl run this year, who cares, it's probably worth it 🤣

The Rams did this for years and eventually it worked.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Dane Brugler saying the Jets “have done a lot of work” on Brian Thomas Jr. 

cc: @derp

What this would suggest to me is that the Jets love the top three WRs and if they’re all gone by #10, trading back becomes their preferred move. Even if they can’t trade back, they’ll want all the info on the consolation prizes available between the OTs, Bowers, and the next WRs at that spot. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

I think there’s definitely a chance that Bowers is the pick but it should be stressed that coaches are used, especially at this point, to strategically place smokescreens.  I can tell you with absolute certainty that there is a particular team in the AFC the Jets would like to see jump them for Bowers, pushing Odunze right into reachable territory (pick 8), or directly our laps at 10 if he slips a bit.
Based on what I have heard, I believe the *realistic* (i.e. who they expect to have a more than 50% shot at) top 3 on the Big Board is:
- Odunze
- Fautanu
- Bowers
Of course, someone dropping (MH Jr., Alt, etc.) can alter those plans come draft day, but you can’t prep everything around those hopes.
IMO, everything becomes juicy around pick 7, because there’s probably a short list of guys that you start considering a trade up for if they slip.  Furthermore, I also know that they prefer to trade down if the top WRs are off the board when we pick, but I remain steadfast in my own belief in that nobody is going to offer anything that moves the needle enough for Douglas to pull the trigger.

I think I’m more worried about Chicago trading number nine and getting jumped for someone we want (like Pitt last year). That being said, even with bowers being taken, unless it’s all offensive picks we SHOULD get someone decent. I’m hoping and praying for the top echelon WR and not bowers. If it’s bowers I hope they know how to implement his skill set.
  • Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Like most GMs Joe Douglas is too attached to his draft capital to do something like this:

But if the franchise really wants to stop screwing around and get real about winning a Super Bowl:

Just go all-in and pony up for MHJ.

They can throw in last year's 1st rounder Will McD if it helps.  Who cares.

Then trade future draft capital to jump back up into rd 1 or early round 2 for Amarius Mims or another high-level LT prospect.

Would be painful next April when the Jets don't have any picks, but if they can actually make a Super Bowl run this year, who cares, it's probably worth it 🤣

The Rams did this for years and eventually it worked.

There you go.  Jets and the Super Bowl.  I had this pegged for August talk.  Its happening earlier then I thought.

Big change from the "Fire Everyone we are the suckiest" posts from a month ago.

- Odunze

- Fautanu

- Bowers

Yea everything you are saying checks out with how I feel as well and does seem to align with this conversation with Hackett.

7, 8, & 9 could all be convinced to trade down. I expect the Vikings, Broncos, Raiders, and Colts are looking to come up. Bengals are a dark horse to get up to 7

On 4/17/2024 at 2:02 PM, Greensleeves said:

From a guy that wasn't drafted in the top 10 - there actually are more rounds than just one to draft OL.

Exactly why you go OL 1st ... Everything Else Is Secondary this year.

On 4/17/2024 at 3:14 PM, Jetpain said:

I am certainly not giving up on Warren, but i also think that it would be irresponsible based on what he did last year to have him as your sole swing tackle or think he's your starter of the future.  If he develops into that its great, but i think you i have an opportunity to pick a top O lineman and as Augustiniak said, give you versatility at a few positions.  That helps you this year and in future years when Smith and Moses are both free agents again.   

Warren was a team captain and as another poster stated, despite missing most of camp & offseason training didn’t embarrass himself. I fully expect him to have “hit-it-hard” this offseason and be ready to contribute in a meaningful way. 

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The more I think of it, the more I think the jets have 0 interest in Bowers.  All smoke in hopes someone grabs bowers before 10 so one of the wrs falls to them.

I don't know if it's "no interest" but I do think we are hoping someone jumps to the Bears pick to take Bowers. I believe Odunze is the real target at 10

• Upvote 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

For whom? 

Bowers or OT1 - Brian Callahan is the HC of the Titans, use to be the OC for the Bengals. I could see that relationship playing a factor.

I would have said Higgins becomes part of the trade but that would seem unlikely with Ridley in Tenn now

• Upvote 1

- Odunze

- Fautanu

- Bowers

I noticed when you say big board or if someone falls unexpectedly you don’t mention nabers ? Does that mean you haven’t heard anything about nabers being one they want? Just wondering because if giants do pick odunze instead of nabers that means nabers is the one to fall a little 

19 minutes ago, Wit said:

I think I’m more worried about Chicago trading number nine and getting jumped for someone we want (like Pitt last year). That being said, even with bowers being taken, unless it’s all offensive picks we SHOULD get someone decent. I’m hoping and praying for the top echelon WR and not bowers. If it’s bowers I hope they know how to implement his skill set.

I could see the Bears trading out of 9. They only have 4 picks.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Rolloffjet said:

I noticed when you say big board or if someone falls unexpectedly you don’t mention nabers ? Does that mean you haven’t heard anything about nabers being one they want? Just wondering because if giants do pick odunze instead of nabers that means nabers is the one to fall a little 

I would imagine we'd take any of the top 3 WRs. Nabers YAC ability would be insane with Garrett and Breece.

• Upvote 2

On 4/17/2024 at 6:05 AM, Sammybighead said:

So he was 3 years younger and had no major injury at that time, got it. I used to run a 5 minute mile when I was 17. Don't think I can drive a 5 minute mile now.

Listen, I don't want to be extreme here. Bowers is an excellent prospects and does things others can't. I'd root like crazy for the kid if we picked him and I'm sure he'd help us win. I just think the easiest path to derail the season once again is by not having a high quality backup on the OL for several guy who have a recent and extensive injury history. That's playing with fire. I'd be way more comfortable if we at least had 1 tackle spot locked up long term but since we don't, I just keep coming back to OT as the prudent move. 

The fault in the OT only philosophy is that OT has become one of the harder positions to evaluate and the bust potential is huge. WR on the other hand is much easier to pick and bust. Picking OT bot only not gets a playmaker, but also has a 50% chance to suck. The opportunity cost picking OT is gigantic now. 15 years ago OT was safe and WR was a huge risk but with everyone running an sir raid offense that has flipped. We need trade to 6, 7 or 8 and get Nabers or Odunze.

Also I believe the Jets feel that AVT us the swing tackle. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

Also I believe the Jets feel that AVT us the swing tackle. 

I hope not, the man has had back-to-back season ending injuries playing OT. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Jets should not be waiting if Odunze or Nabers is available come pick 7 or 8. Go get them. 

If a trade can't happen and those 3 are gone and a trade down is not happening, I'd just go OL and go home. 

The draft capital is not good though. I dont really care though for a win now team, but JD still believes in the pipeline. Hes stubborn that way. 

2 hours ago, section314 said:

Don’t you like Matt Miller? Did you see the ESPN show the other night with him, Kiper and two other guys where Miller did his players comps?

Not a huge fan of Matt Miller. Always struck me as a dude who just hung around and waited for Kiper to publish, then aped that for six months. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, derp said:

To me this signals a desire to go pass catcher more than anything else, but who knows. In other words, they'd really like to go WR and want to understand how they feel about Thomas if the top three are off the board and they end up moving down.

I rambled in another thread about how Bowers wouldn't be a Conklin replacement but just a fifth skill player (Wilson, Williams, Hall, Conklin). Someone like Thomas, IMO, would let them put Wilson in the slot more to attack mismatches, give them two big time deep threats on the perimeter, could probably get some gadget stuff too, and then would be a pretty clean fit to step in for Williams after this season. Don't know that they *should* but I'd guess that would be the plan.

After our chat about it last week, I went and watched some Matt Harmon stuff on Thomas and gained some perspective—still seems like a developmental type, but some special skills and isn’t a stiff. If they’re in a one year sprint to a title and they’re able to employ him in a smart, complementary way, I feel like I’d rather try that than Bowers. Aim for the fences. 

• Ugh 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

What this would suggest to me is that the Jets love the top three WRs and if they’re all gone by #10, trading back becomes their preferred move. Even if they can’t trade back, they’ll want all the info on the consolation prizes available between the OTs, Bowers, and the next WRs at that spot. 

It’d kind of stick in my craw a bit if they love Nabers and Odunze and choose to sit on their hands. I’d guess that Douglas will have an idea if one of them will fall to him and Thomas becomes the default option if he gets burned by a trade or something. 

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Not a huge fan of Matt Miller. Always struck me as a dude who just hung around and waited for Kiper to publish, then aped that for six months. 

I could sit here for hours and explain to you in great detail that Matt Miller breaks down all-22 as well as Belichick, grinds, puts in the hours, and has superior domain knowledge of football.

But my mother told me to never lie. She also told me I was worthless so I mean I don't know if I should really listen to her.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I like Nabers a lot as a player, but the stuff recently about his personality/coachability/off-field stuff - does it make ya nervous?

Yea it definitely does. I would prefer he go before us honestly.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Warren was a team captain and as another poster stated, despite missing most of camp & offseason training didn’t embarrass himself. I fully expect him to have “hit-it-hard” this offseason and be ready to contribute in a meaningful way. 

Im rooting for that too, just not counting on it.  For a head coach and GM that are working on their next contracts, Im not sure if i am betting my financial future on Warren

3 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I would imagine we'd take any of the top 3 WRs. Nabers YAC ability would be insane with Garrett and Breece.

I don't share that view, sounds like they're all about character profile and attitude. I don't think they would take Nabers over Fautanu personally

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

I don't share that view, sounds like they're all about character profile and attitude. I don't think they would take Nabers over Fautanu personally

I’ve changed my mind and think the jets would prefer fautanu over fuaga mainly b/c he’s a left tackle and having that spot nailed down is huge.  Increasingly i see alt, fuaga and fautanu grouped very close together in rankings.  It’s an easy pick and may be able to get an extra 3rd out of it too.  Makes perfect sense to try and trade down if you can’t get your preferred wr

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I think drafting a player in the top 10 is a statement pick that sends a signal to the rest of the team. This is why I was so high on Sauce over Kayvon in the '22 draft.

I do hope Nabers goes before us so we don't need to deal with the question but if he's there at 10, I would be surprised of we passed on him. 

Nabers vs Fautanu is an interesting though experiment

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

80% of all WRs are or will be diva assholes after a few years.   If you are looking for a choir boy WR you will miss out.

Agreed, I think this only comes into play if the evaluation is close. Nabers appears significantly better than WR4 and beyond. I could be convinced on Odunze or MHJ over him though.

• Upvote 2