Jets Have Two WRs Drafted Top 10, Do They Need a Third?

Wilson & Williams. Granted the latter is on a one year deal, soon 30 with a lot of mileage & coming off a torn ACL. 

But the point stands. Jets need a top WR group for ‘24 & beyond not necessarily three top 10 picks. They can take a page from Green Bay who’ve constructed a potent group nary a first rounder among them. 

Not having a second really hurts. Plenty of impressive WR prospects deep in to round 2. 

If Odunze falls obviously JD will be hard pressed not to take him based purely on value. But speaking of value apparently JD doesn’t like taking WRs round 1, unless they’re exceptional talents like a G Wilson. 

So I don’t see JD trading up for a WR unless it’s for ‘25 picks. So Odunze falls looks like it’ll be OL or Bowers at 10. Then a WR rounds 3 or 4. 

• More Ugh 1

There aren't many position groups where any team can say "no thanks" to a potential top talent.

Plus, where someone was drafted and what they are now is largely irrelevant. Tyreek Hill wasn't a first round pick like Williams. And I know which player I'd rather have.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

39 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

Wilson & Williams. Granted the latter is on a one year deal, soon 30 with a lot of mileage & coming off a torn ACL. 

But the point stands. Jets need a top WR group for ‘24 & beyond not necessarily three top 10 picks. They can take a page from Green Bay who’ve constructed a potent group nary a first rounder among them. 

Not having a second really hurts. Plenty of impressive WR prospects deep in to round 2. 

If Odunze falls obviously JD will be hard pressed not to take him based purely on value. But speaking of value apparently JD doesn’t like taking WRs round 1, unless they’re exceptional talents like a G Wilson. 

So I don’t see JD trading up for a WR unless it’s for ‘25 picks. So Odunze falls looks like it’ll be OL or Bowers at 10. Then a WR rounds 3 or 4. 

Our whole DL is pretty much 1st rounders and we seem to continuously draft 1st there still.

As well as GW is the only NFL for sure caliber WR under contract next year. And we could potentially have 2 full seasons with them both (1st this year) being under rookie contracts. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Ulrich said:

This is one of the best wide receiver draft that I have evaluated. There are wideouts like a Mitchel from Texas, Polk and McMillian from Washington, Oregon's speedy receiver Troy Franklin, and Jermaine Burton from Alabama who are big and fast receivers. Then you have the flyer in Worthy from Texas. You also have possession type receivers but now they have great speed with McConkey from Georgia and Roman Wilson from Michigan. Throw in a large tall receiver with great hands but average speed in Keon Coleman of Florida St.. Others like Leggette, Corley and Tez Walker of North Carolina and you have a great amount of wideouts. And lets not forget players who has the blood lines like Brenden Rice and Luke McCafferey. All can be assets for teams in the first and 2nd day.   

• Upvote 2

I'd go OL personally. Everyone pushes for OL right after the season but as the draft approaches, they fall enough with skill players. Then we wonder why our OL sucks.

That said, I predict JD goes WR.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

I'd go OL personally. Everyone pushes for OL right after the season but as the draft approaches, they fall enough with skill players. Then we wonder why our OL sucks.

For me, it depends who is on the board. I would take MHJ (who will be long gone) or Odunze (who will very likely be gone) before any of the tackles, but I'd take a couple of tackles over the rest of the WRs. 

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

For me, it depends who is on the board. I would take MHJ (who will be long gone) or Odunze (who will very likely be gone) before any of the tackles, but I'd take a couple of tackles over the rest of the WRs. 

The board definitely matters, don't get me wrong. But you see a lot of people agitating for a skill player now when like 90% was all in on an OL 3 months ago. Not saying that's bad, it's just a common cycle.

9 minutes ago, jgb said:

We certainly need both and it's imperative that we get both in this draft.

• Upvote 1

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

We certainly need both and it's imperative that we get both in this draft.

We will get at least 1 of each for sure. I guess it comes down to whether JD thinks we can get a contributor at WR or OL later in the draft.

• Upvote 1

Doesn’t matter when they were drafted. Those 2 WRs count 8.3 million against the cap. Less than one mid level WR in the NFL. Yes we need another top 10 WR. 

The bigger question is, Allen Lazard. Now that’s a waste of money. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, jgb said:

Dude needs to keep his job, his track record drafting O lineman is abysmal. AVT cost a lot of resources and he has played  close to half the snaps. People wanna say Joe can’t tell if a player will get hurt but it’s still his responsibility to be prepared. He will likely pick a wide out because he needs to HiT quick and WO tend to be most  likely to create an early impact. I’m torn between WO or OL. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Dude needs to keep his job, his track record drafting O lineman is abysmal. AVT cost a lot of resources and he has played  close to half the snaps. People wanna say Joe can’t tell if a player will get hurt but it’s still his responsibility to be prepared. He will likely pick a wide out because he needs to HiT quick and WO tend to be most  likely to create an early impact. I’m torn between WO or OL. 

I want the WR. I think the Jets should have faith in Carter Warren in the swing tackle role. But I can definitely see JD taking the OL because if the OL falls apart yet again, so does this season. 

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, Claymation said:

I am all on board for having playmakers. 

I never want to see the likes of Chosen, Enunwa, Herndon and Pryor on this team again.

Whether its, Odunze, MHJ or Bowers, I don't care. Force team to spread their defense, and then hit them where the sun don't shine.

Seriously, the logic here is that the likely alternative result to top 10 pick WRs is drafting Davante Adams and Jordy Nelson?

Robbie was fine for a bit, considering the zero draft pick investment. Enunwa was also actually a rare instance of good player development as a 6th rounder, but he couldn’t stay healthy.

But otherwise, yeah someone seems to have sleepwalked through the last decade-ish of Jets’ 2nd-4th round pass catchers.

• Round 2 - Jace Amaro
  • Round 4 - Jalen Saunders
  • Round 4 - Shaq Evans 
  • Round 2 - Devin Smith
  • Round 3 - Ardarius Stewart
  • Round 4 - Chad Hansen
  • Round 2 - Denzel Mims
  • Round 2 - Elijah Moore

If one of these top 3 guys is available to the Jets, they take him at #10, and he’s as good as advertised? I’m not going to find fault with Douglas for not threading the needle after round 1 instead, where a couple guys will probably be decent or better, but most won’t. Just look at that disgusting list again.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

IMO, the tackles projected to go around our third round pick are a lot better than the receivers.  Take the receiver early and the lineman at 72. 

Anyone would know this draft class better than I would, but my understanding is it’s just the opposite: that WR is at least 3 rounds deep, and there’s a much bigger falloff at OL by the 3rd round.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, slats said:

I want the WR. I think the Jets should have faith in Carter Warren in the swing tackle role. But I can definitely see JD taking the OL because if the OL falls apart yet again, so does this season. 

Yeah, he obviously needs one of each. Just what one he takes first? 

31 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Right where I'm at. Unless Odunze falls to us, or Nabers, I'd prefer to go O line

27 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Anyone would know this draft class better than I would, but my understanding is it’s just the opposite: that WR is at least 3 rounds deep, and there’s a much bigger falloff at OL by the 3rd round.

The drop off from the top 3 WR to the rest is pretty great. This team needs playmakers, so go get one.

• Upvote 1

Williams effectively doesn't count.  1 year deal for a horribly injury-prone, unreliable guy.

Yes, we need another WR.  Badly.

Lazard, Gipson, Brownlee, these guys don't cut.  With Rodgers (himself likely a 1 year, 2 max guy now) or without.

17 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Williams is on a 1 year deal and has a significant injury history. He's a terrific player when healthy, but the Jets can't count on that. 

You can say the exact same thing about our left offensive tackle.  And left offensive tackles do not grow on trees.  At least Williams is 29 years old, but Tyron is 33 years old, and same for our right tackle.

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Uhhh we have more than 1 pick. Do you ever order just 1 cheeseburger? 🍔 🍔 🍔

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

The drop off from the top 3 WR to the rest is pretty great. This team needs playmakers, so go get one.

Well the difference is there isn't this tier of omg-level OT prospects like there are for WRs. Seems - for OT/OL - there's more of a group of several where it's a matter of opinion which will be better or more valuable, that it runs through approximately the end of the first round (give or take 10 picks), and thereafter there's a steep dropoff well before our 3rd round pick. For WRs, there's that tier of the top 3, and then a 2nd tier of guys seemingly as talented but who are considered bigger bust risks, and then there's a 3rd tier that more or less spills over into round 3. 

I'm not saying they should therefore take an OT at #10 -- personally I'm happy with an elite WR or an elite OT (probably leaning more towards WR because the "you can get by with" alternative is probably easier to replace at OT than WR. Just that it was my understanding - correctly or incorrectly, since grading draft classes in advance is decidedly not my thing - that this draft class is supposed to be much deeper at WR than at tackle. 

1 hour ago, Alka said:

You can say the exact same thing about our left offensive tackle.  And left offensive tackles do not grow on trees.  At least Williams is 29 years old, but Tyron is 33 years old, and same for our right tackle.

Absolutely. 

You can make a great argument for tacking a tackle at 10. It comes down to which individual players you have rated higher. 

I have Odunze rated higher than any tackle in the draft, so if he's there, I want him. If he's not there, I'd probably go OL. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Absolutely. 

You can make a great argument for tacking a tackle at 10. It comes down to which individual players you have rated higher. 

I have Odunze rated higher than any tackle in the draft, so if he's there, I want him. If he's not there, I'd probably go OL. 

Highly unlikely that he'll be there at 10.

If the Jets really want him, they'd almost certainly have to trade up.

As far as going OL if he's not there, I agree with you.