*** OFFICIAL 2024 UDFA THREAD***

Posted (edited)
  • Jeremy Lewis, LB, East Carolina

A former tight end, Jeremy Lewis spent the first two years of his career at East Carolina on the offensive side of the ball before moving to linebacker in 2021. He quickly found a home on defense, starting 34 games over the next three seasons.

image.png.92226ad8d5ccaba18499b38c4f7ed5aa.png

Edited by 32EBoozer
  • Upvote 3

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Jets are usually pretty active and big spenders in UDFA, but almost nothing this year. Wonder if Woody is pulling the purse strings a bit. 

My guess is that they had so many late round draft picks that they probably got the guys they wanted to fill out the roster.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

43 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

If they would pf drafted him in rd 4 i would of been happy with it . Huge upside here. I think with  our coaching staff he could become a good  one. 

I can already picture III and IV on the field at the same time!

• Haha 1

Taylor and McGregor are both very good gets as UDFAs. If we had drafted either guy in the 4th-5th round range, I would have been happy.

Taylor has huge natural talent, though he is  very inconsistent at present. McGregor earned a starting edge spot for the national champs and has untapped potential.

Good job getting those guys as UDFAs.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Taylor and McGregor are both very good gets as UDFAs. If we had drafted either guy in the 4th-5th round range, I would have been happy.

Taylor has huge natural talent, though he is  very inconsistent at present. McGregor earned a starting edge spot for the national champs and has untapped potential.

Good job getting those guys as UDFAs.

I wouldn't be surprised if we end up getting more production from our UDFAs than we do from our day 3 picks.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we got more from UDFA than we did from our day 3 picks.

I thought our approach to the middle of the draft was weird. I wasn't happy with turning three 4th rounders into one 4th rounder and some later picks, although the future 3rd is good.

There was a lot of talent in that 4th to 5th round range, and a lot of guys I thought could have helped us went to other teams. Those rounds are for adding quality athletes with starting potential, and we traded away chances to add quality additional guys on the OL and DL.

I'm quite happy with the guys we got - especially Fashanu, Corley, Allen, Travis and Stiggers - but it could have been even better if we'd added, say, Bortolini on the OL and Kamara on the DL.

JD seems to have done a good job early in the draft, but his mid round approach was odd.

Still, the promising UDFA additions of draftable grade players do help placate me a bit over the mid-round maneuvering.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I thought our approach to the middle of the draft was weird. I wasn't happy with turning three 4th rounders into one 4th rounder and some later picks, although the future 3rd is good.

There was a lot of talent in that 4th to 5th round range, and a lot of guys I thought could have helped us went to other teams. Those rounds are for adding quality athletes with starting potential, and we traded away chances to add quality additional guys on the OL and DL.

I'm quite happy with the guys we got - especially Fashanu, Corley, Allen, Travis and Stiggers - but it could have been even better if we'd added, say, Bortolini on the OL and Kamara on the DL.

JD seems to have done a good job early in the draft, but his mid round approach was odd.

Still, the promising UDFA additions of draftable grade players do help placate me a bit over the mid-round maneuvering.

It is quite obvious that the value  at 111 was not there meaning it didn’t matter to JD whether he picked at 111 or 171 so it makes sense from a value perspective. However, if you personally are locked onto 2 prospects that you want the Jets to choose then of course it doesn’t make sense. 

To me it makes total sense. They seem very happy with their picks plus they obtained a 3rd round pick next year. Quite clever

The only seemingly off balance pick appears to be the second RB but I’m sure they have good reason to choose him over some pick that the Jets forum wants

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Cyberjet said:

It is quite obvious that the value  at 111 was not there meaning it didn’t matter to JD whether he picked at 111 or 171 so it makes sense from a value perspective. However, if you personally are locked onto 2 prospects that you want the Jets to choose then of course it doesn’t make sense. 

To me it makes total sense. They seem very happy with their picks plus they obtained a 3rd round pick next year. Quite clever

The only seemingly off balance pick appears to be the second RB but I’m sure they have good reason to choose him over some pick that the Jets forum wants

I wasn't locked on to anyone in particular, the two names I gave were just examples. I thought there was a lot of talent left in that 4th-5th range, and it dropped off after that.

18 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I think they read the room that Travis would be there and decided to turn the picks into more picks.  Guys at this stage are a serious crap shoot so having the extra pick just gives you a slightly better chance of getting a guy that even just makes the PS. They are to me clearly looking for bigger backs and a different running scheme. 
traditionally I don’t expect 5th round picks and later to amount to anything significant so it’s just a “build a stable “ “create a pipeline “ thing. 

most likely explanation is their evaluation on TE and WR there is the guys they currently have are just better.  

could be right, could be wrong, but there was a clear plan to me 

UDFA WR thoughts:

LOL... the Texans signed both Janke brothers from S Dak St.  I wanted the Jets to get Jaxon.  It's going to suck for that family when the Texans cut one but not the other this summer.

Raiduhs signed Griffin.  Another one that I hoped was considered by JD.

Coker is still there.  I will be mad if JD doesn't go get him.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I wasn't locked on to anyone in particular, the two names I gave were just examples. I thought there was a lot of talent left in that 4th-5th range, and it dropped off after that.

I get it but JD thought otherwise and capitalized on that. He implied that other teams called him and when the right offer was there he moved back without sacrificing value  based on the Jets board.