*** OFFICIAL 2024 UDFA THREAD***

6 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Yeah, I know that most teams don't have more than 200 guys on their boards.  I do think, if you are determined to make pick #257 as Mr Irrelevant, you might want to have a few more guys on your board than usual, so you aren't scrambling around at the end of the 7th round trying to find a guy you like.

I actually think Key is a decent prospect at that point, though. Good size, moves fairly well and seems like a smart and disciplined player, which is what you want in a Safety.

Stiggers, I was making my Mr Irrelevant in mock drafts for months.  But I think he really rose up NFL teams' boards during the interview process, so I don't think he would have been there at pick 257.  I really love that pick - great story, hope it works out for him and that he has a long and successful career as a Jet.

They obviously had plenty of guys they were willing to sign as UDFAs. I’d use that pick on one of those I wanted who was reluctant to sign a FA deal with me. Those negotiations usually start in the sixth round or so. No big deal. It’s another non-issue, imo, that gets blown up in here. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, PepPep said:

The other guy who should be on this list is Marcus Riley. The OTHER Florida UDFA WR the Jets signed. everyone is talking about Harrell because of his 40 time. But the Jets signed Riley to a 3-year, $2.83 million UDFA deal out of FAMU. HE is the guy who they seem to really like and who will probably compete with Gibson for a roster spot. 

Isn't 3 years at that level of salary standard for an UDFA, though?  We don't know how much of that is guaranteed (probably not much).

For example, last year's UDFA successes - Gipson and Brownlee - both got 3-year, $2.7M deals with some guaranteed money (around $200k for Brownlee, $150k for Gipson). The Jets' other UDFAs got similar size deals, though most got lower guarantees than Gipson and Brownlee did.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, slats said:

They obviously had plenty of guys they were willing to sign as UDFAs. I’d use that pick on one of those I wanted who was reluctant to sign a FA deal with me. Those negotiations usually start in the sixth round or so. No big deal. It’s another non-issue, imo, that gets blown up in here. 

Ironically, some of the guys the Jets signed as UDFAs - e.g. Taylor, McGregor, Watts - would have been seen as absolute steals as the 257th pick, and we would all have been lauding the Jets as geniuses.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Jetkwondo said:

Not so sure Taylor is any trouble, just seems raw, very raw but I don't get any trouble vibes besides him saying "have my moments"... from his interview...

THE BUTTERFLY TWEETS

I sent out a Tweet last week `This one fuh u ma’ with a butterfly - what the butterfly means is peace, happiness and joy. That’s why I use it so much. All I want to do is spread peace and love to everyone. I’m a big, soft guy off the field, have my moments. The butterfly is a symbol, my symbol. I’m looking for peace, joy, all that.

Full interview from 2021 here

https://miami.rivals.com/news/leonard-taylor-blog-i-understand-why-i-m-not-playing-more-and-i-love-um

The point is, you can’t watch 10 minutes of “highlights” and understand what you’re getting.

That would be like marrying someone because you had a great first date. Or buying property in Jacksonville because you saw a tourism brochure.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

I asked the google machine how many prospects NFL teams generally have on their draft boards, and it told me this: 

“Most NFL teams' draft boards are 125 or 150 players deep — some smaller, maybe a few larger. Each front office has its own criteria at certain positions that will eliminate a lot of players from consideration.”

Not surprised that @Beerfish is complaining about JD doing something that every GM in the league does, though. Mr. Irrelevant was all about Woody getting his team a little more publicity. Douglas would’ve preferred to be done with the draft at the end of the fifth round. 

That is why Douglas is terrible and a tool right?

The joe keckos (6th), terrel Davis (6th), richard dent (8th), Tom brday (6th) shannon sharpe (7th), isiah pacheco (7th) and a HOST of others.

Also teams may have a large white board or something with 125 players but undoubanly they have a large spreadsheet or something with like 400 players on ranked in some order, how else are they making late round picks and identifying UDFA?

It's funny as hell to see people on here totally dismiss 6th and 7th rounders and then fall all over themselves heaping credit on the tam for all the great UDFA that they sign

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

That is why Douglas is terrible and a tool right?

The joe keckos (6th), terrel Davis (6th), richard dent (8th), Tom brday (6th) shannon sharpe (7th), isiah pacheco (7th) and a HOST of others.

Also teams may have a large white board or something with 125 players but undoubanly they have a large spreadsheet or something with like 400 players on ranked in some order, how else are they making late round picks and identifying UDFA?

It's funny as hell to see people on here totally dismiss 6th and 7th rounders and then fall all over themselves heaping credit on the tam for all the great UDFA that they sign

Yeah, I noticed the Jets didn’t sign any UDFAs this year. You must be right. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

The point is, you can’t watch 10 minutes of “highlights” and understand what you’re getting.

That would be like marrying someone because you had a great first date. Or buying property in Jacksonville because you saw a tourism brochure.

I totally agree and it's why I went looking for who this guy might be. On the surface, I didn't find any red flag type troubling things, like bad attitude, shoplifting, gang banging, or gesturing pissing like a dog in the end zone, rather I found a guy who, and I'm only guessing, some might question his commitment or football smarts. His butterfly tweets to his mom kind of eased my concerns that it might be off field stuff. 

I hope he grabs this opportunity.

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

It’s funny that you use 6 players from the last 55 years for 30+ teams as proof of how valuable these picks are.  Or to blame a team for not having success in the lower rounds, as if everyone else finds them

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

Other than injuries and how these guys actually look in camp and preseason. I think the main factors and available roster spots (meaning depth) and the kind of money the Jets invested in these UDFAs (meaning, how much interest they already have in these guys). 

So in that sense, I think Leonard Taylor has the best chance to make the roster. Now, Watts did get a chunk of money to sign but he won't have the same opportunity to get a roster spot that Taylor will. Not only did the Jets already have some room for DT competition but the departure of JFM created the perfect opportunity for an attacking/penetrating DT like Taylor to fight for a roster spot. And yes, Taylor also got a decent chunk of change guaranteed just for signing.  

The other guy who should be on this list is Marcus Riley. The OTHER Florida UDFA WR the Jets signed. everyone is talking about Harrell because of his 40 time. But the Jets signed Riley to a 3-year, $2.83 million UDFA deal out of FAMU. HE is the guy who they seem to really like and who will probably compete with Gibson for a roster spot. 

Well the reason I said that is because they kept 3 DT types last year in Q, Woods, and Jefferson

They kept 2 tweeners in JFM and Clemons

The rest were sub - 250lbs ish

and he seems to be more like a DT then a DE

This year for DT types they have Q, Fotu, and Kinlaw

so either he would have to beat out one of those 3 or they carry 4 which seems odd for a 4/3

with JFM gone seems to be an opening next to Clemons

15 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Well the reason I said that is because they kept 3 DT types last year in Q, Woods, and Jefferson

They kept 2 tweeners in JFM and Clemons

The rest were sub - 250lbs ish

and he seems to be more like a DT then a DE

This year for DT types they have Q, Fotu, and Kinlaw

so either he would have to beat out one of those 3 or they carry 4 which seems odd for a 4/3

with JFM gone seems to be an opening next to Clemons

There's Solomon Thomas too, no? They'll carry 4 DT, that's the Saleh way.

I suspect Clemons may stick more at DE this year rather than rotating inside. Fotu is our best early down DT besides Quinnen, no real reason to send Clemons inside with Fotu and Kinlaw inbound.

I believe we've carried 9 or even 10 DL in past years. Right now I count 8 who are roster locks and Tanzel Smart on the bubble, maybe Leonard Floyd too if he has a great camp. We could really use Clemons to step up his DE run defense if Saleh can help it.

Another signing (Calais Campbell pls? If we can afford it) also isn't out of the question, I think ideally at DE or who can rotate like Campbell might. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Between Rico in the video hollering about the Jets stealing his picks! and the name PEE WEE  I don't know how I should feel about this signing.   Pee Wee!.. good for him!. Lol

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

There's Solomon Thomas too, no? They'll carry 4 DT, that's the Saleh way.

I suspect Clemons may stick more at DE this year rather than rotating inside. Fotu is our best early down DT besides Quinnen, no real reason to send Clemons inside with Fotu and Kinlaw inbound.

I believe we've carried 9 or even 10 DL in past years. Right now I count 8 who are roster locks and Tanzel Smart on the bubble, maybe Leonard Floyd too if he has a great camp. We could really use Clemons to step up his DE run defense if Saleh can help it.

Another signing (Calais Campbell pls? If we can afford it) also isn't out of the question, I think ideally at DE or who can rotate like Campbell might. 

Sol is more of a DE in my mind at 256 or a tweener but not sure how many snaps he got inside

i think right now these guys are a lock to make it

DE - Reddick
DE - McD
DE - JJ
DT/DE - Clemons
DT - Fotu
DT - Kinlaw
DT - Q

if you look at who they kept after the final cuts in 2023

DE - Lawson
DE - Huff
DE - JJ
DE - McD
DT/DE - Sol
DT/DE - JFM
DT/DE - Clemons
DT - Woods
DT - Quint
DT - Q

17 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Sol is more of a DE in my mind at 256 or a tweener but not sure how many snaps he got inside

i think right now these guys are a lock to make it

DE - Reddick
DE - McD
DE - JJ
DT/DE - Clemons
DT - Fotu
DT - Kinlaw
DT - Q

if you look at who they kept after the final cuts in 2023

DE - Lawson
DE - Huff
DE - JJ
DE - McD
DT/DE - Sol
DT/DE - JFM
DT/DE - Clemons
DT - Woods
DT - Quint
DT - Q

I tend to think that Clemons is threatened to not make the team after failing last year to make any big plays with added weight. Also to a lesser extent Clemons in the tunnel incident with Dawkins and then repeatedly flipping off the crowd kind of goes against the culture they've been building which could also make it easier if they're on the fence...   Not saying it's going to happen but a guy like Taylor stands a good chance to out play him this summer.

6 hours ago, Jetkwondo said:

I tend to think that Clemons is threatened to not make the team after failing last year to make any big plays with added weight. Also to a lesser extent Clemons in the tunnel incident with Dawkins and then repeatedly flipping off the crowd kind of goes against the culture they've been building which could also make it easier if they're on the fence...   Not saying it's going to happen but a guy like Taylor stands a good chance to out play him this summer.

I think Clemons will be safe plus they spent time building up his media persona to fit that and as far as Taylor taking his spot, I don't think so since they would have different roles.  Taylor spent his time in FL as DT the guy is 305lbs and runs a 5.17 not really a candidate to play a hybrid DE/DT.

Not saying he wont make the team but def not as hybrid.

• Upvote 2

On 4/30/2024 at 2:05 AM, jetfan40yrs said:

I just watched a video of Harrell's '21 year at Louisville. I know it's just highlights, but he showed good hands and moves. And he's 6', 200 lbs, so he's not small. He showed great acceleration. I hope he can impress the coaches.

I have warmed up to Harrell as a developmental practice squad guy.  He seems like a less polished Devin Smith.   Let's the ball get into his body and his change of direction can be lumbering.  He had like a 7.14 3 cone which is 20th percentile.  Only 9 reps on the bench is pretty weak for a guy this old.

I am wondering if they will try him for kick returns?  He is mostly just speed, but he did return some kicks and run hard on them.  Just doesn't seem to have any wiggle.  Not sure how that will translate to the new rules, but he does have some traits.  He actually transferred to Alabama after his good season at Louisville in 2021, but only played 33 snaps or something because he had a stress fracture in his foot and then switched to Miami.

He supposedly ran a 4.17 or something hand-timed when he went to Louisville.  His speed is no joke.  ACC safeties consistently getting blown out even when taking the shallowest angles.  He certainly needs more seasoning.  I think he had to come out, he has been out of high school and playing college ball since 2018 and turns 24 in August.

• Upvote 1

On 4/30/2024 at 10:16 AM, mrcoops said:

Ironically, some of the guys the Jets signed as UDFAs - e.g. Taylor, McGregor, Watts - would have been seen as absolute steals as the 257th pick, and we would all have been lauding the Jets as geniuses.

Does that say something about Kay?,ie. They chose him over those guys or are the Jets simply incompetent?

36 minutes ago, Cyberjet said:

Does that say something about Kay?,ie. They chose him over those guys or are the Jets simply incompetent?

My theory on that is this: those priority UDFAs get better contracts than 7th rounders. The top ones get decent signing bonuses with no offsets. Those deals are agreed to in principle while the draft is ongoing. If the Jets had an agreement with one of them but then sniped them as Mr. Irrelevant instead, I imagine that player would start his Jets career thinking they’re a bunch of scumbags. And they’d be right. I’d’ve used that pick on a guy I wanted as an UDFA, but who didn’t want to sign with me. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

My theory on that is this: those priority UDFAs get better contracts than 7th rounders. The top ones have decent signing bonuses with no offsets. Those deals get agreed to in principle while the draft is ongoing. If the Jets had an agreement with one of them but then sniped them as Mr. Irrelevant instead, I imagine that player would start his Jets career thinking they’re a bunch of scumbags. And they’d be right. I’d’ve used that pick on a guy I wanted as an UDFA, but who didn’t want to sign with me. 

Interesting.  I didn’t realize that UDFA bargaining was an ongoing thing during the draft. It makes sense given how fast the signings are reported. 

On 4/28/2024 at 5:22 PM, T0mShane said:

You can cut Jordan Travis right now because the Jets signed PEEWEE

Looks promising, tbh.  He ripped that throw at 1:03.

EDIT: Okay, the camera angles svck (though not as much as the music).  It's difficult to judge much about this guy.

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Looks promising, tbh.  He ripped that throw at 1:03.

EDIT: Okay, the camera angles svck (though not as much as the music).  It's difficult to judge much about this guy.

Frankie Drake Mysteries Meow GIF by Ovation TV

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Lith said:

That jives with this:

xx Byron “PeeWee” Jarrett QB 6-2 245 West Florida (UDFA)
xx Tyler Harrell WR 6-0 200 Miami (UDFA)
xx Marcus Riley WR 5-11 175 FAMU (UDFA)
xx Lincoln Sefcik TE(FB) 6-3 238 South Alabama (UDFA)
xx Brady Latham OL 6-5 304 Arkansas (UDFA)
xx Willie Tyler OL 6-6 320 Louisville (UDFA)
xx Leonard Taylor III DL 6-3 303 Miami (UDFA)
xx Eric Watts DL 6-5 277 UCONN (UDFA)
xx Braiden McGregor Edge 6-6 267 Michigan (UDFA)
xx Tyreek Johnson Edge 6-3 270 South Carolina (UDFA)
xx Jimmy Ciarlo LB 6-2 225 Army (UDFA)
xx Jackson Sirmon LB 6-2 240 California (UDFA)
xx Tre Jenkins LB 5-11 216 SJSU (UDFA)
xx Myles Jones CB 6-4 194 Duke (UDFA)
xx Shemar Bartholomew CB 6-1 200 Georgia Southern (UDFA)
xx Jarius Monroe S 6-2 205 Tulane (UDFA)
xx Al Blades DB 6-1 195 Duke (UDFA)

I wouldn't be completely surprised, if a couple of these guys make the team.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I wouldn't be completely surprised, if a couple of these guys make the team.

Maybe. The most likely to actually hit the opening day roster feel like Brady Latham, who plays guard and therefore has a bit of an opening to work into, and Leonard Floyd / Eric Watts who might make it into the iDL rotation if we keep more than 4 DT (or sol Thomas/ etc get cut, which I doubt).

There's room at safety, corner and LB if any of them can beat out our existing depth, but I kinda doubt it. I'll be glad if any of these guys is a diamond in the rough! We do seem to find those.

On 5/1/2024 at 3:05 PM, slats said:

My theory on that is this: those priority UDFAs get better contracts than 7th rounders. The top ones get decent signing bonuses with no offsets. Those deals are agreed to in principle while the draft is ongoing. If the Jets had an agreement with one of them but then sniped them as Mr. Irrelevant instead, I imagine that player would start his Jets career thinking they’re a bunch of scumbags. And they’d be right. I’d’ve used that pick on a guy I wanted as an UDFA, but who didn’t want to sign with me. 

Aaron Wilson @AaronWilson_NFL

When it comes to undrafted deals, the most crucial component is signing bonus because base salary guarantee in deals includes offset language prohibiting double dip if released. Only way to receive the base salary guarantee up to $225,000 is by never signing another NFL contract

Nick Korte @nickkorte 

An extremely important point to remember at this time of the season.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Maybe. The most likely to actually hit the opening day roster feel like Brady Latham, who plays guard and therefore has a bit of an opening to work into, and Leonard Floyd / Eric Watts who might make it into the iDL rotation if we keep more than 4 DT (or sol Thomas/ etc get cut, which I doubt).

There's room at safety, corner and LB if any of them can beat out our existing depth, but I kinda doubt it. I'll be glad if any of these guys is a diamond in the rough! We do seem to find those.

Unless Latham blows them away this weekend, I'm expecting a veteran FA IOL signing sometime soon.

• Upvote 2