Jets’ Robert Saleh favored to be first head coach fired this NFL season.

While I am not fully 100% confident in Saleh just yet (but trending upwards), he somehow has managed to have us in the playoff mix the last 2 seasons with the worst QB play in NFL. With that said he almost gets a pass in my opinion. Let's see how he does with a real QB before he goes on to be the next Pete Carroll for someone else. 

(For the youngsters, Pete Carroll started his career with the Jets and was our HC. We fired him for Rich Kotite)

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Copernicus said:

While I am not fully 100% confident in Saleh just yet (but trending upwards), he somehow has managed to have us in the playoff mix the last 2 seasons with the worst QB play in NFL. With that said he almost gets a pass in my opinion. Let's see how he does with a real QB before he goes on to be the next Pete Carroll for someone else. 

(For the youngsters, Pete Carroll started his career with the Jets and was our HC. We fired him for Rich Kotite)

You sir, are a smart man.  Very intelligent and accurate post.  You stand out on this board.

• Upvote 1

As others have noted, Woody doesn't do mid-season firings.  So I doubt Saleh is the "first" to get fired in 2024 regardless.

As for Saleh being let go (this IS the final year on his contract after all), that will entirely be determined by the record of this team in 2024.  

Win, and win a few playoff games, he stays.  Fail to make the playoffs, he likely (or should) be gone.

Same for JD, frankly, but I tend to agree that Woody might keep JD (also on his final year of his deal) regardless at this point.

• Sympathy 1

19 hours ago, varjet said:

The Jets could have a great season this year, but my gut is that they perform under expectations, not at or over. 

The coach will likely be a big part of that.  Time management, Hackett and other glitches will cause some losses that they can't afford to take.  

Time management hasnt been an issue under Saleh despite playing Wilson and other substandard QBs.

• Upvote 1

On 7/17/2024 at 10:01 PM, PositiveJetFan said:

It’s a terrible bet because Woody has gone on record that he doesn’t believe in firing coaches in season. 

There may be a philosophical or strategic reason for that, but it also costs money.

You fire the HC mid-season, you are paying him for the entire season anyway.  

But then you also have to pay the interim HC-I don't think you can pay an assistant coach the same thing if you promote him.  

2 hours ago, TBJ said:

NY Jets: Rodgers unhappy with Saleh over minicamp comments

https://jetsxfactor.com/2024/07/19/ny-jets-rodgers-unhappy-with-saleh-over-minicamp-comments/

"TRADE ME RIGHT FVCKING NOW, and hang up"

-Ned Braden

The new hierarchy is quite something.

HC (Saleh) must have forgotten he now reports to the GM (Rodgers) instead of the owner.  He forgot to allow the GM to vet his responses first 😂.

• Haha 1

This guy is going to be a head coach next year.   I could see woody making a change if the team is not winning. No, that’s a lie. He is going to get poached from The jets and flourish 

For the first time in forever, the Jets actually have a lot of young talent and a very good overall roster.  Woody should have Saleh on a very short leash as we all know how short windows to win in the NFL are.  I just don’t think his talent as a coach reflects the talent of the players.  In other words, I think he’s the weak link on the team.  

19 hours ago, TBJ said:

NY Jets: Rodgers unhappy with Saleh over minicamp comments

https://jetsxfactor.com/2024/07/19/ny-jets-rodgers-unhappy-with-saleh-over-minicamp-comments/

"TRADE ME RIGHT FVCKING NOW, and hang up"

-Ned Braden

That’s why I love the kool aid drinkers pretending like there was nothing going on with Rodgers skipping mandatory practices.  You do realize the head coach of the team in a press conference called the absence “unexcused”

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

That’s why I love the kool aid drinkers pretending like there was nothing going on with Rodgers skipping mandatory practices.  You do realize the head coach of the team in a press conference called the absence “unexcused”

The most ridiculous aspect was Saleh saying both “It’s unexcused” and “we’re fine with it” 😂🤣

What kind of message does that send to the rest of the team?

Unexcused absences are a-ok in the organization’s eyes? 🤣

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

The most ridiculous aspect was Saleh saying both “It’s unexcused” and “we’re fine with it” 😂🤣

Something not great is going on with both

22 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Kinda weird that Saleh turned out to be such a weak-kneed mush of a leader. Dude simply can’t put his foot in the ground on anything. He makes Mike McDaniel look like Douglas MacArthur. 

On 7/19/2024 at 12:06 PM, varjet said:

There may be a philosophical or strategic reason for that, but it also costs money.

You fire the HC mid-season, you are paying him for the entire season anyway.  

But then you also have to pay the interim HC-I don't think you can pay an assistant coach the same thing if you promote him.  

Honestly, forgetting even the money part of it, for any team unless you have an assistant coach who you are very seriously considering as a possibility to be your next HC, or it's just an extraordinarily toxic situation that needs to acted on immediately, midseason firings are often a pointless move anyway.

With Saleh seeming pretty beloved by the locker room, it might actually have a chance of causing more problems, as opposed to a different circumstance where a team might be on the verge of a locker room riot that can lead to some midseason firings.  When players are unhappy about a coach firing, one of the best things the new hires have going for them is the 6 months they get between hiring and camp for everyone to move on and embrace the change, as opposed to no time at all during the season.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Kinda weird that Saleh turned out to be such a weak-kneed mush of a leader. Dude simply can’t put his foot in the ground on anything. He makes Mike McDaniel look like Douglas MacArthur. 

He works for Woody who is everything you just described but worse

• Upvote 1

On 7/17/2024 at 5:40 PM, ARodJetsFan said:

Jets’ Robert Saleh favored to be first head coach fired this NFL season (msn.com)

Jets’ Robert Saleh favored to be first head coach fired this NFL season
Jets’ Robert Saleh favored to be first head coach fired this NFL season© Provided by ClutchPoints

The New York Jets are entering the 2024 campaign with both a chip on their shoulder and plenty of expectations. If Robert Saleh can’t lead the Jets back into playoff contention, his time in New York could come to a close.

Saleh is the NFL head coach most likely to be fired first during the 2024 campaign at +500 odds, via betonline.ag. Mike McCarthy of the Dallas Cowboys (+600) and Chicago Bears head coach Matt Eberflus (+700) make up the top three while New Orleans Saints’ Dennis Allen (+700) and Nick Sirianni of the Philadelphia Eagles round out the top five.

Saleh has been with the Jets since 2021, amassing a 18-33 record as head coach. New York has had back-to-back seasons with a 7-10 record and has yet to make the playoffs under Saleh. That’s not to say it’s all the head coach’s fault though.

In 2021, Saleh had then-rookie Zach Wilson at quarterback. The Jets ran it back with Wilson in 2022, with a splash of Joe Flacco and holdover Mike White. New York had seen enough and decided to take a massive swing at quarterback, landing Aaron Rodgers in a trade with the Green Bay Packers. However, his season ended just a few plays into his New York debut, putting the team back at square one.

With Rodgers now fully healthy, the Jets are expecting to compete. They have their quarterback in place and have been patiently waiting to have their full team on the field. Perhaps that’s why Saleh’s odds to be fired are so high.

The Jets can’t afford to waste Rodgers’ Super Bowl window, not after losing a season to injury. If Saleh can’t lead the team to those heights, New York will find a head coach who can. It’s a hard position to be in, but Saleh understands the expectations of Jets ownership now that Rodgers is back.

If everything works out how New York is hoping, this is all a moot point and Robert Saleh is leading the Jets dynasty for the foreseeable future. But another year like 2023 would likely send Saleh packing.

How Robert Saleh can continue coaching Jets

David Butler II-USA TODAY Sports
David Butler II-USA TODAY Sports© Provided by ClutchPoints

While the offense has been questionable under Saleh, the Jets have developed into one of the best defensive teams in the league. Without it, New York would’ve had an even further collapse after Rodgers’ injury.

In 2020, a year before Saleh’s arrival, the team ranked 24th in team defense, allowing 387.6 yards per game. With their new head coach in place, the Jets bottomed out, falling all the way to 32nd by allowing 397.6 YPG.

But Saleh was able to put together a quick turnaround, elevating New York to fourth in 2022 (311.1 YPG). In 2024, the Jets ranked third, allowing 292.3 YPG. It was a bit of a process, but once Saleh put the ground work in, that system seemed to work.

His defense is Robert Saleh’s calling card. As long as they continue playing at a high level, he will be lauded for his defensive mind. But at some point, there needs to be offensive improvement. Saleh must work with Nathaniel Hackett, Rodgers and the entire offensive staff to make sure New York comes out strong now that they’re back to full health.

Saleh is certainly an emotional leader and has guided the Jets through difficult times. But eventually, results need to be on the board. With Aaron Rodgers and no more excuses, Saleh must deliver.

Like ClutchPoints’ content? Be sure to follow us.

The post Jets’ Robert Saleh favored to be first head coach fired this NFL season appeared first on ClutchPoints.

Curious, has Johnson ever fired a coach mid season? I don’t recall. We’ve had far more opportunities than any other team in the league to do so. 

If I was a betting man, I’d bet against Saleh being fired at all during the season, let alone be the first. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jet2020 said:

Curious, has Johnson ever fired a coach mid season? I don’t recall. We’ve had far more opportunities than any other team in the league to do so. 

If I was a betting man, I’d bet against Saleh being fired at all during the season, let alone be the first. 

No but he fired a GM just weeks before the start of a season just because Adam Gase talked him into it

If Rodgers wants Saleh gone he is gone.  Do I think there’s a difference between Saleh and Ulbridge?  No, they’re both defensive coordinators.  It would just indicate the circus never left town

• Upvote 1

On 7/19/2024 at 4:43 PM, Larz said:

This guy is going to be a head coach next year.   I could see woody making a change if the team is not winning. No, that’s a lie. He is going to get poached from The jets and flourish 

Good old Jeff Ulbrich.  The guy this board wanted fired a year and a half ago.

Hysterical.

Very weird, and I’d love to hear the rationale. If it’s just vibes, how is McCarthy not far and away the leader in this clubhouse?

If Saleh gets whacked, it’d have to be because he gets wrecked in the first six weeks. Three games in ten days to start, on the road against the Niners, then Titans, then home for the Pats. If they get smacked by the Titans and Niners, maybe the ball gets rolling, or if the Pats—whose defense should be good and with Brissett at QB—ekes out a win? After that, it’s ten days to a tanking Denver team, then Bills at home. Does 3-3/3-4 put Saleh on the block? 

IMG_5445.jpeg

For all of salehs faults, I don't think many will argue that he's been snake bitten on the offensive side of the ball. His seat is probably hotter than everyone else's in the league but he also has a path to an extension as well. This is the year where there is no excuses, he's got rodgers, he's got the back up qb, he's got an offensive line and weapons, and he has his defense. He no longer has zach to hinder the team as well. If he can't do it now, he will be fired.

With that being said, i do not believe woody has fired a head coach mid season...ever. I'd put money on that he isn't the first coach fired because woody waits until the season is over to make those decisions. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/21/2024 at 2:21 PM, T0mShane said:

Very weird, and I’d love to hear the rationale. If it’s just vibes, how is McCarthy not far and away the leader in this clubhouse?

If Saleh gets whacked, it’d have to be because he gets wrecked in the first six weeks. Three games in ten days to start, on the road against the Niners, then Titans, then home for the Pats. If they get smacked by the Titans and Niners, maybe the ball gets rolling, or if the Pats—whose defense should be good and with Brissett at QB—ekes out a win? After that, it’s ten days to a tanking Denver team, then Bills at home. Does 3-3/3-4 put Saleh on the block? 

IMG_5445.jpeg

Honestly with that schedule you really want to be 4-2. I know it’s tough from a travel/rest perspective but weeks 2-5 are all games the Jets will be favored in.

Saleh best quality is he’s been intentionally acting dopey since day 1 waiting for Douglas to assemble  a dynasty.  Now that he has it he’s going to put away his Pom poms and skirt and show us his advanced degree in NFL head coaching.  You can see the shift with his comment about Rodgers unexcused absence.  The hammer is failing.  Camp cupcake has been cancelled.

On 7/18/2024 at 8:41 AM, PFSIKH said:

Brock Lesnar Running GIF by WWE

Jets start slow.....4-5 at the bye week.  "Here comes Bill Belichick to the rescue...."

I would only co-sign on this if I knew it worked and could rub it in the face of my best friend for life, my old battery commander and ridiculous Masshole :)

2 hours ago, The Gun Of Bavaria said:

I would only co-sign on this if I knew it worked and could rub it in the face of my best friend for life, my old battery commander and ridiculous Masshole :)

I kind of want it to happen on a lot of levels.