Josina Anderson: Jets and Haason Reddick Making Progress

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

They could just do what the Chiefs did with Jones: slip the money back into the extension via easy to reach incentives. 

IMG_5470.jpeg

Do these bonuses count towards the cap?

the Jets are up against the cap, so I am not sure they have much wiggle room.

23 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Do these bonuses count towards the cap?

the Jets are up against the cap, so I am not sure they have much wiggle room.

Jason OTC says the Jets have $20 mil in cap space. Spotrac has them at ~$6 mil. Jason is usually right, but who knows? @Sperm Edwards

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Jason OTC says the Jets have $20 mil in cap space. Spotrac has them at ~$6 mil. Jason is usually right, but who knows? @Sperm Edwards

I think the difference is how they are counting Reddick's salary.  Spotrac is including Reddick's $14M base, but I don't think OTC is counting it until he reports.  OTC is probably technically correct - they don't owe him his base if he doesn't show up, but Spotrac is probably the more realistic number.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

23 minutes ago, Lith said:

I think the difference is how they are counting Reddick's salary.  Spotrac is including Reddick's $14M base, but I don't think OTC is counting it until he reports.  OTC is probably technically correct - they don't owe him his base if he doesn't show up, but Spotrac is probably the more realistic number.

Makes sense, and thank you. In that case, the Jets can’t really do much with Reddick’s deal unless they move money into future years. Can’t really go into a season with less than $5 mil in the emergency fund. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Makes sense, and thank you. In that case, the Jets can’t really do much with Reddick’s deal unless they move money into future years. Can’t really go into a season with less than $5 mil in the emergency fund. 

Without checking it out I’m sure @Lith is correct (it sounds right).

Of course they’d move any Reddick-raise $ to the future. Probably a good chunk of the current $14MM, too, while they’re at it. It’s still usable next year if they don’t use up that cleared cap room this year getting someone else new.

Ideally it’d be guaranteeing the same base with the add on for incentives reached this year, but he may want such incentives to add the total up to $25MM+, and less than that may not get him in camp, so the compromise - while keeping the deal at one year for now - would be bumping up, then fully guaranteeing, this year’s pay. Probably around $20MM (less is better, if they can swing it) with no incentives; but that’s an uneducated wild guess. Then after this season he’d hit FA and hopefully WMD (like JJII the prior year) ups his game enough that the Jets won’t have any interest or need in Reddick at $22-28MM per for another 2-3 guaranteed seasons. Then they get their 3rd back in the same ‘26 draft and in the end it cost 5-10 slots (ideally; hopefully fewer) in the late 3rd, two seasons later, to rent him for the year.

That’d be an ok move if it happens that way. The one year limit on Reddick acknowledges the team’s 1st round investment in WMD without handing him a y2 starting job that he hasn’t earned yet. Not totally unlike bringing back Lawson last year even with: WMD already just drafted, Huff playing out his final contract year, and JFM still starting in the other side. Reddick costs more than Lawson, but he’s both better, hasn’t been a walking injury report, and is further replacing both ‘22 Lawson and ‘22 Huff in this offseason comparison.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Not necessarily - comp picks aren't a given for FA departures. You have to lose more than you sign, which is why the Jets won't get a comp pick for losing Huff.
With all the players coming up for extensions, and the amount of older guys on one year contracts, you have to think (hope?) that we're due to get on the right side of the comp pick formula at some point soon.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Of course they’d move any Reddick-raise $ to the future. Probably a good chunk of the current $14MM, too, while they’re at it. It’s still usable next year if they don’t use up that cleared cap room this year getting someone else new.

Ideally it’d be guaranteeing the same base with the add on for incentives reached this year, but he may want such incentives to add the total up to $25MM+, and less than that may not get him in camp, so the compromise - while keeping the deal at one year for now - would be bumping up, then fully guaranteeing, this year’s pay. Probably around $20MM (less is better, if they can swing it) with no incentives; but that’s an uneducated wild guess. Then after this season he’d hit FA and hopefully WMD (like JJII the prior year) ups his game enough that the Jets won’t have any interest or need in Reddick at $22-28MM per for another 2-3 guaranteed seasons. Then they get their 3rd back in the same ‘26 draft and in the end it cost 5-10 slots (ideally; hopefully fewer) in the late 3rd, two seasons later, to rent him for the year.

That’d be an ok move if it happens that way. The one year limit on Reddick acknowledges the team’s 1st round investment in WMD without handing him a y2 starting job that he hasn’t earned yet. Not totally unlike bringing back Lawson last year even with: WMD already just drafted, Huff playing out his final contract year, and JFM still starting in the other side. Reddick costs more than Lawson, but he’s both better, hasn’t been a walking injury report, and is further replacing both ‘22 Lawson and ‘22 Huff in this offseason comparison.

Knew you’d have the answer. What does that deal look like, though? 2/$36 with $22mm guaranteed? He gets his $21-ish mil cash this year, gets cut after the season, and Jets spread any remainder over ‘25 and ‘26?

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Knew you’d have the answer. What does that deal look like, though? 2/$36 with $22mm guaranteed? He gets his $21-ish mil cash this year, gets cut after the season, and Jets spread any remainder over ‘25 and ‘26?

This looks about right.   

Either that or guarantee him $10mm to show up this season and offer him incentives, including team based (playoffs) that take him into the $20mm+ range.  If the Jets have a great season they just pay him.  

They could also assume they are on a 2 year run and guarantee him more pushing money into 2026+. 

The Jets are not built to be a sustained winner.  This is basically 2024 or bust.  Maybe 2025.  Reddick is not getting a long-term contract.  

Problem with that is if we extend the deal and cut him, there is no comp pick. Increase the cash with a void year, and I think we still get the comp pick after he hits FA after the season.
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Ideally they’ll create more cap room by pushing some of Mosley’s guarantees into 2027. 😜

On 7/28/2024 at 7:56 AM, Jethead said:

Reddick should thrive in this defense. Both sides want a deal to get done.

It should have been done a while ago.  Like within a few days.  

With that said, lets hope JD can fix his mistake asap, and get Reddick into camp and participating.  

Camp and preseason are short and soft enough as it is in the modern NFL.  These guys need the work to get ready to perform at their best.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I don't think so, if you're talking about cutting him after this season then the balance would hit 2025.

The only other way as you're outlining it is purely theory, off the top of my head:

• 2/$36MM, $21MM gtd at signing with a 3rd (or more) extra void year tacked on after that.
  • Then they get that to spread into 2026 by cutting him after June 1st. He's off the team for the 2025 season.
  • So whatever 2024 bonus was due to hit in 2025 will stay the same, and the balance of the (2024) bonus would hit in 2026.

That's only in theory because it seems extremely unlikely to go down that way:

The team would have to carry that $15MM base salary through June 1st to do that. i.e. carry it fully through the meaty part of free agency. Even worse, doing it that way would mean you're cutting him not reaching the natural end of a contract, so the team loses what's likely to be a 3rd round comp pick in 2026. So theory aside, it seems unlikely to happen.

Further, I don't think Reddick has any interest in signing that anyway. His goal isn't to get $21MM+ this year but rather to get that amount (or more) each year on a desired new deal -- what you're outlining is $21MM this year and $15MM next year. If he doesn't like $14MM base salary this year he's not going to like $15MM next year any better than that. 

I guess you could be thinking even $18MM/year payouts, but $4MM of 2025's $18MM is guaranteed today. I still don't think that'll be enough for him to lock into a 2nd season at the team's pleasure (now not becoming a UFA until his age-32 season), but I'm basing that on the leaks/rumors of the $25-28MM/year he is allegedly seeking. He might take that lower rate if he's assured free agency in March when everyone's got full coffers of cash to spend on FAs.

That's why I thought the potential compromise is bumping him up to ~$20MM (and maybe an assurance he won't get tagged in 2025): it's fully guaranteed if he's seriously worried about getting injured before the season and the Jets cut him; he doesn't get the full amount he wants, but he'll be in that position by becoming a full UFA after this season and get far more than that Jets are willing to offer. On the Jets' side, they get him in camp now; they get to decide not only if they want him for longer but - with a longer look at WMD into the season - decide if they think they need him for longer should WMD really disappoint; then if it's just a one-year rental they get a 3rd round comp pick the same year they're sending their natural (hopefully very late) 3rd round pick to the Eagles. 

• Post of the Week 1

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Funny thing is that Spotrac generally copies all of Jason's info.  It has been proven.  Either last season or the year before, Jason and his team purposely placed false contract/salary info into the site.  Within a day or 2, Spotrac was posting the exact same false info.  The only place they could have gotten it was from OTC.  Spotrac = big fakers.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

48 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It should have been done a while ago.  Like within a few days.  

With that said, lets hope JD can fix his mistake asap, and get Reddick into camp and participating.  

Camp and preseason are short and soft enough as it is in the modern NFL.  These guys need the work to get ready to perform at their best.

Chris Jones missed the entire preseason and the first regular season game last year, walked back in week 2 and played 34 snaps with 1 1/2 sacks. Defensive positions like LB an DL and that, if you are in shape, you can walk right back in. 

Not ideal, but you can play. Of course, would love him to be in this week. 

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

Funny thing is that Spotrac generally copies all of Jason's info.  It has been proven.  Either last season or the year before, Jason and his team purposely placed false contract/salary info into the site.  Within a day or 2, Spotrac was posting the exact same false info.  The only place they could have gotten it was from OTC.  Spotrac = big fakers.

Ha, I didn't know that.

Jason - whom we've known here for years - unfortunately hasn't updated his site appearance/experience match his obvious expertise. Between the two, Spotrac looks more official & polished. 

It'd honestly be better without all the loud colors & disjointed fonts/layouts even if making it more bare-bones looking like pro-football-reference.com and such. As a reference site it's suited to a more muted appearance anyway. Truthfully Ape is probably a better person to make a bunch of well thought-out and intelligent UI/UX suggestions; the problem is getting him to shut up after that and further to stop throwing his feces through his cage bars at the spectators.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

On 7/28/2024 at 4:20 AM, Big Snell said:

I don't blame Reddick. I wouldn't risk getting hurt without at least some guarantee of pay on a contract.

I don't blame Reddick either, but I also don't blame the Jets for not wanting to pay for the production the Eagles, Panthers and Cardinals got out of him.  You pay for the future production, not the past.  The fact that his agent didn't get him the right deal(s) at the right times shouldn't mean the Jets need to make up for that.

Further, if this was a team devoid of young talent on defense then maybe you overpay a bit to get a star defender.  The Jets tried to jumpstart a bad defense when they made the big move for CJ Mosely several years ago.  At that point, they really needed him.  The Jets aren't in the position now.  I'd be disappointed if the Jets saddle themselves with a Reddick contract that prevents them from locking up any of Garrett Wilson, Sauce, Jermaine Johnson, etc. long-term.  It's okay to be "win now" but you have to remember that the 2026 season will come at this team pretty fast.  I fear they'll have to trade someone like Breece Hall with one-year left on his deal because they can't afford all these guys.

Let's remember that Reddick turns 30 during Week 2 of the season and where he likely is on his career arc.

Funny – normal distribution – Bell curve – You are here | Poster

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

when you think about it - without the negative nelly view of some of our posters here -

this is a brilliant trade if we can get him in for $18-20MM for this year.   Get a 1 year rental of a top DL and pay the equiv to a high 5th rounder/low 4th rounder in 2026   (value difference between a late 3rd rounder and a top comp pick).

who would not have signed up for a 1 year rental for Reddick for $20MM for the cost of a 2025 late 5th round pick?  Everyone.

57 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

when you think about it - without the negative nelly view of some of our posters here -

this is a brilliant trade if we can get him in for $18-20MM for this year.   Get a 1 year rental of a top DL and pay the equiv to a high 5th rounder/low 4th rounder in 2026   (value difference between a late 3rd rounder and a top comp pick).

who would not have signed up for a 1 year rental for Reddick for $20MM for the cost of a 2025 late 5th round pick?  Everyone.

Yeah it'll be fine. He's obviously not holding out the season. He's flexing whatever leverage-muscles he has, and we all get that. He won't get exactly what he wants, but he'll get more than he would've otherwise gotten if he'd done nothing. 

And to make your point even stronger, really it's the current value of a mid/late 7th round pick not a late 5th. It'd be a late 5th round value if the 3rd round pick drop/swap occurred this year; decrease that a round each year later it has to be paid. So it's nothing; the kind of pick that's recouped by moving down 2 slots in round 6, and ending up with the same prospect talent pool anyway, when that time comes.

It's not an accident that the negotiated pick ended up being two years later. That was the point: Philadelphia was kind of giving up a 2026 3rd round comp pick by trading him, so the Jets traded their 3rd round pick to pay it forward. Both teams got something they wanted out of it. Then it looks like Roseman did the Jets a solid by finalizing a contract for Becton a day early, gifting the Jets an extra 2025 comp pick at no cost to the Eagles. That more than erases the disparity of 3rd round pick swaps for the Reddick rental, unless Reddick has a bad season & doesn't return 3rd rounder, or if the Jets collapse like they have in the past and our pick is much higher than expected (like what happened to Seattle with the Adams trade). 

We won't know for sure until it's officially over, but for all the handwringing the net result of this holdout will be an insignificant blip that people will forget complaining about after the new complaint has presented itself. Since the Jets are the Jets, it's like the team's religion to keep the supply of legitimate complaint material fully stocked, so there's that, too. 

• Upvote 1