Jets Cuts To 53 (official thread )

The notable absences—which include Mr. Irrelevant—are as follows:

Brandon Codrington

Chris Glaser

Zack Kuntz

Jaylen Key

Some of the bubble players who were practicing with the team include the following players:

Jason Brownlee

Izzy Abanikanda

Takk McKinley

Leonard Taylor III

Braiden McGregor

Xavier Newman

Austin Deculus

Kohl Levao

Austin Seibert

nothing definitive but interesting 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Deculus and Levao outlasting Glaser is interesting - I thought the Jets really liked Glaser (although I was never sure precisely why).

Levao will stick, he's looked very good at G, particularly his run-blocking.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Deculus and Levao outlasting Glaser is interesting - I thought the Jets really liked Glaser (although I was never sure precisely why).

The guy they need to cut is mitchell.  He lacks basic functional strength to play tackle.  It seems they may have found better tackle prospects.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I doubt he makes it as far as the PS. If he gets waived, I think someone would claim him for their 53.

Kickers are different.

When you claim a RB/WR/LB etc. you are putting him on your 53 but he probably won't actually play and after 3 weeks, you can move on.

When you claim a K, you are almost certainly releasing all your others, and starting him.  It's a bigger commitment and you haven't seen him other than limited film from the other team.  Not that it won't happen, but I think it's a little less likely he'd get claimed unless a team out there really hates all their other options.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The guy they need to cut is mitchell.  He lacks basic functional strength to play tackle.  It seems they may have found better tackle prospects.

Depending on his injury from Saturday night.........

TRADE CANDIDATES

Max Mitchell
New York Jets · OT

There are a lot of teams looking for NFL-caliber tackles this time of year (and most times of the year), so Mitchell is worth keeping an eye on.

A fourth-rounder in 2022, Mitchell has had a couple tough seasons -- mostly at right tackle -- in the NFL. This offseason, he watched the Jets add three big-name tackles in vets Tyron Smith and Morgan Moses and first-rounder Olu Fashanu. And that was after the Jets used a fourth-rounder on Carter Warren in 2023.

When the Jets have been at full strength, Warren and Mitchell have rotated as the second-team right tackle. Warren appeared to be leading that race, and he started last Saturday’s game against the Panthers, playing most of the first half, while Mitchell closed it out with the third-stringers.

Mitchell played well against Carolina and had some fans in the scouting community a few years ago when he was taken 111th overall. He still could make the roster, and it’s possible no one is willing to give up much in a trade. But at such a high-priority position, with more than a few teams dealing with injuries there now, we could see some action.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2024-nfl-roster-bubble-kadarius-toney-among-players-who-could-be-traded-or-cut

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I could say the same about Carter Warren, I've seen him get knocked backwards more than once and he gets shoved around quite a bit, by smaller D-Lineman.

Not that I'm endorsing Mitchell, but both of them need to improve their overall strength.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I could make the argument that Carter Warren has trouble holding his ground at the point of attack, when pass blocking.

I've seen him get knocked backwards more than once.

Not that I'm endorsing Mitchell, but both of them need to improve their overall strength.

I think warren longer term is your swing tackle.  Mitchell is too light in the bottom and that was a criticism coming out of Minnesota.  

• Upvote 1

I could see Izzy making the roster, but what makes it tough for him is this new return format. It seems like Davis and others have value there, while Izzy lacks it. I don't think him playing in Jets vs Giants is damning, though - SOME roster-able players had to play in that game, and while it does show he wasn't a roster block it doesn't mean to me he's doomed.

I think whether he makes it will come down to whether the jets want to prioritize returners like Codrington. If the jets think Corley, Davis, etc. Will do the job Izzy might make it for rb depth. Personally I'm leaning 63-35 that he makes it.

1 minute ago, Mr. Rogers said:

I could see Izzy making the roster, but what makes it tough for him is this new return format. It seems like Davis and others have value there, while Izzy lacks it. I don't think him playing in Jets vs Giants is damning, though - SOME roster-able players had to play in that game, and while it does show he wasn't a roster block it doesn't mean to me he's doomed.

I think whether he makes it will come down to whether the jets want to prioritize returners like Codrington. If the jets think Corley, Davis, etc. Will do the job Izzy might make it for rb depth. Personally I'm leaning 63-35 that he makes it.

Codrington is already gone, according to reports.

I think Izzy makes the initial roster, but as the #4 RB he will be vulnerable if the Jets want to bring in someone else from another team's cuts.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Codrington is already gone, according to reports.

I think Izzy makes the initial roster, but as the #4 RB he will be vulnerable if the Jets want to bring in someone else from another team's cuts.

That's too bad, I was hoping he would stick. I know it was likely a pre-seaason flash, but still....

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

is there a compiled list somewhere or did @jetsrule128 just do a hit and run?

+1

If you're going to create this "official" thread, at least have the decency to keep the first post updated with the cuts as they happen within a reasonable amount of time.  Needing to sift through pages upon pages of content to get to the meat and potatoes of the subject is not the best use of time.

Just my 2 cents.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Two percent undecided?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

I think warren longer term is your swing tackle.  Mitchell is too light in the bottom and that was a criticism coming out of Minnesota.  

Minnesota?  Mitchell went to high school and college in Louisiana.  He was considered a bit light and coming out of the Sun Belt he would need some time strengthening up.  He had the clot issues early on, like many of us, and that probably stunted him a bit.  Hard to tell if they are satisfied with his progress. 

I have had a tough time getting a read on what they think of the back end of the O line group.  I am starting to think with Levao looking good and Newman snapping that Schweitzer might be the one on the way out.

15 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

+1

If you're going to create this "official" thread, at least have the decency to keep the first post updated with the cuts as they happen within a reasonable amount of time.  Needing to sift through pages upon pages of content to get to the meat and potatoes of the subject is not the best use of time.

Just my 2 cents.

6 pages for only 4 cuts … yeah, this is a brutal thread. Here is a link where you can see the updated cuts in one place ….

https://jetsxfactor.com/2024/08/26/new-york-jets-cuts-53-man-roster/

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Agreed, but not much else that translates to an NFL QB. At least not that I saw.

Might I ask what you saw that said he can’t play at the NFL level? I only saw him in action in the Giants game but I liked him and how he played.