Mike Garofolo reports the 49ers are “not close” to a deal with LT Trent Williams.

5 hours ago, Larz said:

To be able to practice tomorrow both guys need to report today. 

could still happen but it looks like Williams and Reddick will miss the opener. 

Not quite; if he didn't report today (doesn't seem to have), then the team has the option of not activating him even if he shows up tomorrow. It's not guaranteed that if they don't show up today they're out week 1, just less likely.

44 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Did Jamar Chase return to the Bengals yet?

Funny how this Hassan Reddick situation isn’t “the Jets being a clown show,” when you look around the league and see it everywhere else.

Yes and no - he showed up and was even at practice one day. Then he was out again

47 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Did Jamar Chase return to the Bengals yet?

Funny how this Hassan Reddick situation isn’t “the Jets being a clown show,” when you look around the league and see it everywhere else.

bUt We tRaDeD fOr HiM!!

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

36 years old plus after skipping all of TC, team workouts, and any live reps with anyone of substance -- very unlikely to be in total game shape, at a 100%-snaps position that doesn't rotate on & off the field? His last full-go reps were back in January. For this first game, Williams might end up being worse for them than his backup.

I don't expect Williams, even compromised by a holdout, to play poorly.  But Jermaine Johnson is the perfect opponent to exploit any decline in his conditioning or strength.  JJ is not necessarily the most "toolsy" of edges, but he comes at you with 110% intensity on every play and is strong AF.  If Williams does play, I like JJ's chances against him more and more as the game wears on.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Not quite; if he didn't report today (doesn't seem to have), then the team has the option of not activating him even if he shows up tomorrow. It's not guaranteed that if they don't show up today they're out week 1, just less likely.

Yes and no - he showed up and was even at practice one day. Then he was out again

I have no idea what the contract/ roster technically allows I was getting at what the coaches would be comfortable with.  

Typically coaches want a player to practice 3 times to play them. 

This is an odd week , there were no games this weekend and they play Monday night.
I was working on an assumption that both teams will practice tomorrow possibly, Wednesday at the latest. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

I have no idea what the contract/ roster technically allows I was getting at what the coaches would be comfortable with.  

Typically coaches want a player to practice 3 times to play them. 

This is an odd week , there were no games this weekend and they play Monday night.
I was working on an assumption that both teams will practice tomorrow possibly, Wednesday at the latest. 

Ah. Williams apparently practices only once a week, typically, so his drop-dead time is probably later. 

3 hours ago, Larz said:

Hmmmmm.   He’s an OT……

Parker (6-8, 320) was originally drafted by the Oakland Raiders in the third round (65th overall) of the 2018 NFL Draft. Throughout his five-year career with the Raiders (2018-23), he has appeared in 59 games (33 starts) and started in one postseason contest. In 2023, Parker appeared in five games (one start) with Las Vegas.

This is a depth band-aid, not a long-term starting solution.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Parker (6-8, 320) was originally drafted by the Oakland Raiders in the third round (65th overall) of the 2018 NFL Draft. Throughout his five-year career with the Raiders (2018-23), he has appeared in 59 games (33 starts) and started in one postseason contest. In 2023, Parker appeared in five games (one start) with Las Vegas.

This is a band-aid, not a long-term solution

Yeah it was this guy or a practice squad guy.  Doesn’t necessarily mean anything but it seems reasonable to think that nothing is imminent and positive on the Williams situation 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MykePM said:

I don't expect Williams, even compromised by a holdout, to play poorly.  But Jermaine Johnson is the perfect opponent to exploit any decline in his conditioning or strength.  JJ is not necessarily the most "toolsy" of edges, but he comes at you with 110% intensity on every play and is strong AF.  If Williams does play, I like JJ's chances against him more and more as the game wears on.

I'd neither expect him to play well or poorly. Just that he's more likely to play poorly after so much time off with no camp, maybe not really in game shape, at 36 yrs old.

It's not like his play isn't likely to drop off at some point as it is. Frankly I'm surprised he's been able to keep up this level of play through last season.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

38 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

49ers were never going to let him miss a game.

Yep, pretty much right on que.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports Trent Williams and the 49ers are trying to reach a deal before the team’s Week 1 game against the Jets.

It was reported last week that the two sides were not close in contract talks. Williams, 36, has said he wants more guaranteed money this season while the team has held firm against Williams’ requests. Williams was seen boarding a plane to San Francisco from Houston on Monday night. Entering Week 1 without Williams would be a blow for Brock Purdy and the entire Niners offense.

Just that quick

49ers signed LT Trent Williams to a contract extension.

Entering his age-36 season, Williams held out all offseason, demanding more guaranteed money from the Niners. The two sides, reportedly far apart as of last week, came to terms just six days before the 49ers kick off the regular season against the Jets. The Niners, according to Pro Football Focus, were the sixth worst pass blocking team in 2023.

Transaction

27 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Sigh. We have the only dumb player that’s willing to miss games. 

What's somewhat funny in all of this is the 49er's had 2 players holding out for contract extensions.

In both cases the 49er's, by & large, caved into the players demands - one of those players is 36 years old and his performance could drop off a cliff at any moment.

Yet you don't hear any talk of the 49er's being a half-assed, weak organization with a crappy GM....go figure.

If the Jets did that, (caved into 2 different players contract demands) we'd be billed as the worst organization in football - where the players are running the show - or something to that effect.

Definitely seems to be a double-standard here - the Jets are always a sh!t-show, but yet other teams makes very questionable moves and it's like they're coated with Teflon.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

What's somewhat funny in all of this is the 49er's had 2 players holding out for contract extensions.

In both cases the 49er's, by & large, caved into the players demands - one of those players is 36 years old and his performance could drop off a cliff at any moment.

Yet you don't hear any talk of the 49er's being a half-assed, weak organization with a crappy GM....go figure.

If the Jets did that, (caved into 2 different players contract demands) we'd be billed as the worst organization in football - where the players are running the show - or something to that effect.

Definitely seems to be a double-standard here - the Jets are always a sh!t-show, but yet other teams makes very questionable moves and it's like they're coated with Teflon.

The Jets are the only team in the league who knowingly traded for a player who was going to hold out. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I agree with your overall sentiment of the Jets always being the sht show but usually for good reason. This is also a future HOF player in Trent Williams, nobody will debate that. And Aiyuk actually settled for what the 49ers originally offered. So

3 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

I agree with your overall sentiment of the Jets always being the sht show but usually for good reason. This is also a future HOF player in Trent Williams, nobody will debate that. And Aiyuk actually settled for what the 49ers originally offered. So

Extending a 36 yr old OT, that still had 3 yrs left on his existing deal is a bad business decision, regardless of his level of play to this point.

Just my opinion of course.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Extending a 36 yr old OT, that still had 3 yrs left on his existing deal is a bad business decision, regardless of his level of play to this point.

Just my opinion of course.

I agree 100%.  

With that said, the reporting on local radio here in DC this morning indicated Trent Williams is back in San Fran and very close to signing a new deal.

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I agree 100%.  

With that said, the reporting on local radio here in DC this morning indicated Trent Williams is back in San Fran and very close to signing a new deal.

Dianna Russini is reporting he already signed an hour ago FWIW.

https://www.nbcsports.com/fantasy/football/player-news?playerNewsId=00000191-b7e5-dde4-add9-b7e7fe870000

Who knows, she might be wrong.

These camp holdout dramas are ridiculous.

The team always caves in the end.

(The one team that didn't cave was the Steelers, and in hindsight they were right not to give Bell what he wanted.)

Meanwhile, they could have had their player in camp on time and in-shape ready for week 1 if they had just swallowed their pride weeks ago.

I suppose the one positive of waiting until the last minute is you avoid a situation where the player, working out on his own or whatever, tears his ACL, and in that case, you've spared yourself something.  But if that happens, you've still got a gaping hole in your starting lineup and little to no time to figure out how to fill it.

45 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I suspect the 49ers being an organization that is regularly in the playoffs and competiting for a SB might create some bias in their favor.  

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

I suspect the 49ers being an organization that is regularly in the playoffs and competiting for a SB might create some bias in their favor.  

Yes.

And FWIW, did they even really cave on Aiyuk?  He basically signed for the original offer from what we heard.  Sounds like a win for SF in that case.

• Upvote 1