New York Jets, Haason Reddick Contract Saga No Longer About Fines. Game checks are now on the line, to the tune of $852,941 for each game missed.

4 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I don't believe that's an option.

I think the mandoatory reporting date is in place, to establish when mandatory fines start.

I'm fairly sure he can holdout as long as he wants to, so long as he reports to the team by week 10.

Well I believe the $15M is better spent elsewhere so it is all good.

If he reports and is a rock star performer then the team benefits and if he reports and is a step slow (which I believe is the real issue here) then his value is diminished if not destroyed entirely.  If he he reports really really late no GM in the league will give him tuppence for his services in 2025

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

so, for the record how big of a drop do you expect.   we had 48 sacks last year.  i would assume "substantial" means 20% - so do you expect the Jets to get less than 40 sacks this year?

in reality they got 7 sacks in the last week of the year against backup OL with an opponent wanting to lose.   In reality the 40 sacks is really just a 10% drop if you normalize the last game.   I wouldn't call that substantial in fact.  

Honestly, I really don't' think it matters.  I'm talking about fan perception/reaction and pressure put on Joe/Woody.  Woody is a PR first owner - right now the bulk of the fan base are with the Jets on this.  Following a loss that will change.

If Purdy has time consistently and the 9ers win - that's all it will take.

• WTF? 1

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Honestly, I really don't' think it matters.  I'm talking about fan perception/reaction and pressure put on Joe/Woody.  Woody is a PR first owner - right now the bulk of the fan base are with the Jets on this.  Following a loss that will change.

If Purdy has time consistently and the 9ers win - that's all it will take.

Oh no ! Will there be signs and banners?

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You know I used to think this way and took these hold outs personally.  For instance, I hated Revis, but in hindsight they should have just paid him.

I've now past that feeling - 13 years of losing will do that to a man..and just want to win.

I really don't care about the cap concerns two years from year (when we won't have a QB) and surely don't care about Woody's money.  We have a tiny window (but a legitimate one) so check the ego at the door Joe and figure it out.   

I actually really liked the Jets to win Monday but up until about 10 days ago I always figured Joe would get Reddick in house.  I think they lose without Reddick though.

I think it's nuts that you believe Reddick means the difference between winning and losing on Monday. Just bizarre.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

27 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I know the word I chose.  I

image.thumb.png.20fb598c19cd10c172a03c68f24945e4.png

I know what it means.  I also know how to use it in a sentence that applies here.  
I want to know how substantial drop off applies.  From losing 10 sacks from Huff, assuming he can duplicate a season that was more than the sum of his career?  Let’s say Mac adds 3-4 sacks over his rookie number with extra playing time and just 2 from the others what are we, 5-6 sacks?  4-5 than what Huff managed a year ago.  I’m being conservative.  4-5 sacks is a substantial number.  That’s going to coast us games?  

18 minutes ago, Larz said:

Reddick has been a mercenary his whole career. Never really got that big commitment. 

I’m probably reading this wrong but it sure looks like he has already been paid for this season.  Paid well too, 20th ranked contract. 

I know it’s been reported that he wants a 3 year deal but it’s just mind blowing that a compromise of a fully guaranteed year with sweetners to save face and incentives to earn his fine money back can’t be ironed out over lunch. 

IMG_0731.jpeg

IMG_0732.jpeg

Reddick hasn't been paid anything yet this season.

Being on the "Reserve - Did not report" list, he doesn't even count against our salary CAP at present.

Agree with the rest of what you said.

Reddick's attitude is why he'll never get the long term commitment he wants from any team.

Nobody wants to deal with a mess like this, every other off-season & this guy has a pretty well-established, pattern of behavior.

He'll be on 1 year prove-it deals, for the rest of his NFL days.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I know what it means.  I also know how to use it in a sentence that applies here.  
I want to know how substantial drop off applies.  From losing 10 sacks from Huff, assuming he can duplicate a season that was more than the sum of his career?  Let’s say Mac adds 3-4 sacks over his rookie number with extra playing time and just 2 from the others what are we, 5-6 sacks?  4-5 than what Huff managed a year ago.  I’m being conservative.  4-5 sacks is a substantial number.  That’s going to coast us games?  

It's not just the sacks.  Huff was incredibly disruptive.   JFM was a very solid player.

You're now going to have Clemmons playing JFM reps and Mac playing Huff reps.  We really have no idea what Mac is - none.  We know he's exceptionally small - but does seem to possess that impressive spin move.  We'll see how it plays out but I think it's highly unlikely he'll be as disruptive as Huff.

Reddick is a top pass rusher and we're in a season (for the first time in a long time) where we have a legitimate shot to make some noise.  Why you guys care so much about not paying this guy I can't possibly understand.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Reddick isn’t looking for guarantees this year. The contract is fully guaranteed as a vested veteran as long as he shows up for opening day. If he shows up after that, it’s guaranteed for injury. What he wants is an extension with guarantees in future years, and Douglas isn’t interested in handing that out. 

No idea what JD might be offering. A couple million and/or obtainable incentives would be fine with me. But it’s up to Reddick to accept something, and so far he has not operated logically, making it very difficult to predict. 

Assuming the agent has his ear more than anyone else I have to ask myself what settlement would the agent permit?  I would think some incentive-laced deal allowing Reddick to get his fines back would show up as a giant loss for the agent.

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Reddick isn’t looking for guarantees this year. The contract is fully guaranteed as a vested veteran as long as he shows up for opening day. If he shows up after that, it’s guaranteed for injury. What he wants is an extension with guarantees in future years, and Douglas isn’t interested in handing that out. 

No idea what JD might be offering. A couple million and/or obtainable incentives would be fine with me. But it’s up to Reddick to accept something, and so far he has not operated logically, making it very difficult to predict. 

Thanks. I agree that it’s not logical. We’re obviously in the dick measuring contest phase or the couple in the silent treatment show down lol.  

sigh. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Larz said:

Oh no ! Will there be signs and banners?

You laugh but the Jets, as an organization under Woody Johnson, are very reactive to fan/media pressure.  

The moment the Jets lose a game where the QB is getting time regularly (perceived or real) the fan/media pressure will get very loud and the Jets will fold.

I would just rather them do it now so we get the guy in house and make a run!

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It's not just the sacks.  Huff was incredibly disruptive.   JFM was a very solid player.

You're now going to have Clemmons playing JFM reps and Mac playing Huff reps.  We really have no idea what Mac is - none.  We know he's exceptionally small - but does seem to possess that impressive spin move.  We'll see how it plays out but I think it's highly unlikely he'll be as disruptive as Huff.

Reddick is a top pass rusher and we're in a season (for the first time in a long time) where we have a legitimate shot to make some noise.  Why you guys care so excited about not paying this guy I can't possibly understand.

It’s the sacks.  That’s what Huff did.  He’s not Q 

Reddicks never been on the team, we lose nothing in the unlikely scenario where he sits out 

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You laugh but the Jets, as an organization under Woody Johnson, are very reactive to fan/media pressure.  

The moment the Jets lose a game where the QB is getting time regularly (perceived or real) the fan/media pressure will get very loud and the Jets will fold.

I would just rather them do it now so we get the guy in house and make a run!

In the past this has been true for the likes of Curtis Martin and Darelle Revis both of whom had years worth of time spent "bleeding Jets green" but in this case I think all of the fan anger will be placed squarely on Reddick where it belongs.  He has no connection to this fan base and zero accrued value here.

• Upvote 4

Jets HC Robert Saleh said Haason Reddick is not at the facilities, but he’s not ready to rule him out for Week 1’s matchup against the 49ers.

What do we even say here? Reddick missed OTAs, mandatory minicamp, and training camp. He’s holding out for a new contract that doesn’t appear to be on the way, as recent reports from ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler said, “There doesn’t seem to be any action between [Reddick] and the team,” in any capacity. Even if Reddick unexpectedly reported to the facilities, it’s hard to imagine him suiting up for Week 1 after spending months away from the team.

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Reddick is a top pass rusher and we're in a season (for the first time in a long time) where we have a legitimate shot to make some noise.  Why you guys care so excited about not paying this guy I can't possibly understand.

Huff had very similar get off and pressure numbers as Reddick. Huff, Reddick and McDonald are all similar in that they are all pass rushers with significant weakness in the run game. 

Huff is the weakest run defender of the three. Reddick separates himself from Huff and McDonald in the strip sack and forced fumbles categories.  When he gets home he wrecks sh*t lol. 

Reddick is the only guy you can play all 3 downs. 

The thing is he is 30 years old and JD has a billion dollars in extensions he wants to give to Sauce,  G5, JJ and Hall and Rodgers contract is ridiculous next year but JD can’t even assume he’s coming back. 

He’s trying to keep Reddick in the mindset that he’s playing for a long term contract next year while keeping the cap in order. 

as messy as the whole deal is I expect it to settle next Tuesday. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

JFM did not live up to his contract, that’s why he signed a two year deal worth about half of what the Jets were scheduled to pay him. 

You don’t know what the lineups are going to be, or how they’re going to use these guys. Takk McKinley’s first two years in the league were as good or better than JFM’s best. Looks like he’s righted himself now, and a guy who was basically here as a reclamation project probably now figures to get some heavy usage in the DL rotation, perhaps even starting. You try to dismiss McDonald, but he was more effective than your beloved Bryce Huff in his limited snaps last year, and everyone associated with the team who says a word about him only has glowing reports to share. He’s taller than Huff, but lighter, no doubt. Describing him as “exceptionally small,” is pretty ridiculous, but maybe he can make up for it with his exceptional athleticism…

image.jpeg

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, slats said:

JFM did not live up to his contract, that’s why he signed a two year deal worth about half of what the Jets were scheduled to pay him. 

You don’t know what the lineups are going to be, or how they’re going to use these guys. Takk McKinley’s first two years in the league were as good or better than JFM’s best. Looks like he’s righted himself now, and a guy who was basically here as a reclamation project probably now figures to get some heavy usage in the DL rotation, perhaps even starting. You try to dismiss McDonald, but he was more effective than your beloved Bryce Huff in his limited snaps last year, and everyone associated with the team who says a word about him only has glowing reports to share. He’s taller than Huff, but lighter, no doubt. Describing him as “exceptionally small,” is pretty ridiculous, but maybe he can make up for it with his exceptional athleticism…

image.jpeg

I like McDonald.  I have nothing against him, he is small and he is unproven, but he has shown explosiveness for sure.  Even if McDonald proves to be better than Huff, having Reddick here will only make this team better.  Jeeze, we're trying to win a championship.  Every game matters in a 17 game season.  One win can be the difference of making the playoffs, getting a home game, getting a bye.

Reddick is a good player, we already traded for him - if you asked me before the trade and I would have told you it wasn't a great move - but the guy is now on the roster so let's get him on the field. 

26 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

it's not that we don't love reddick, it's that he doesn't love us back.    

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

This is actually the right position to be taking right now; "show up and you can still get your game check, we won't put you on the exempt list"

So essentially it would be a game of chicken?  He reports under his existing contract, gets paid for game day and wont play for a couple weeks probably. But all those fines would still be assessed.  If he holds out and they settle this mid season, it still wouldn't behoove Reddick in the long run.  He'd lose tons of money, playing time and be take a route so many have failed like LeVon Bell.  Sitting out a year or half a year just throws things off for these athletes.  Its not similar to a guy being out for a year with an injury.  There's some strange psychological component that goes into play.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

It’s the sacks.  That’s what Huff did.  He’s not Q 

Reddicks never been on the team, we lose nothing in the unlikely scenario where he sits out 

It’s not unlikely at this point.

• Upvote 1

I think it's nuts that you believe Reddick means the difference between winning and losing on Monday. Just bizarre.

That’s what I’ve been saying!

Reddick is a good player. He’s not a generational talent that is going to put us over the edge.

Jets fans just have been obsessed with pass rush since Abraham left. Despite having consistently good defenses since that time.

Our problem is and has always been offense

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

If the holdout gets resolved, I will try to give this guy a chance to see how he performs on the field.

That said, everything we know about Reddick is bad news.  Multiple teams get fed up with him.  His word means zilch.  

JD should not double-down on a mistake and cave.   Let Reddick rot with his fines if that is what he chooses to do.

We’re on to San Francisco…

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, Larz said:

He’s testing JDs resolve. One 800k check should prove he ain’t playing 

Honestly I think it is more about how does the agent get himself and his client out of this without looking like an incompetent a$$

• Upvote 2

Maybe the agent logic for public consumption will be hey, we wanted a guaranteed extension with money up front but failing that it was my job to limit the wear and tear on a valuable resource until he gets his new deal.  Skipping camp and skipping some weeks of the season is the best way to do that.

Translation - Hey we gave it a shot and we lost but now the focus needs to be on how can we maximize his value to the remaining 30 teams who are out there. How can we explain that it is OK for some GM to risk millions of dollars on this resource.

16 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Honestly I think it is more about how does the agent get himself and his client out of this without looking like an incompetent a$$

then the move would have been to drive to Florham park after the charity event (I know it was scheduled weeks ago) and hammer out a save face deal and do a press conference about being excited to go after a championship. 

He’s gambling on essentially an injury to the Jets edge rotation which is putting his needs over his clients. 

• Bronx changed the title to Rule him out Roberto!