Dak Prescott Gets Huge Extension

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Yeah, I get it.  Tough spot.  When you have exceptional talent you often have to overpay for key pieces in that small window :-)

With that said GW, Breece and Hall - if we made them the top paid at their respective position - as of right now would total $74 ish...Giving a Mediocre QB that kind of money is tough.  

You mean sauce?

• Upvote 1

The contracts for playoff QBs keep going up with the cap.   Super Bowl QBs don’t make more than first round.  It all depends on when you sign.  

Jerry is a businessman.   Dak wins 12 games a year and fills the Star.  There was no replacement.  

you basically have to sign this contract and then draft successors.   The Cowboys stuck gold with Dak and then could not do it again.  They need to plan to move on as soon as they can.  

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, varjet said:

The contracts for playoff QBs keep going up with the cap.   Super Bowl QBs don’t make more than first round.  It all depends on when you sign.  

Jerry is a businessman.   Dak wins 12 games a year and fills the Star.  There was no replacement.  

you basically have to sign this contract and then draft successors.   The Cowboys stuck gold with Dak and then could not do it again.  They need to plan to move on as soon as they can.  

It would seem they don't think Trey Lance is going to be the heir apparent. Just a hunch.

• Sympathy 1

On 9/8/2024 at 12:16 PM, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

“Starting over at QB” as if that’s such a simple plan. If you have a QB good enough to get you to the playoffs, he’s worth it. Not every QB is Mahommes or Brady. 

Agreed.  Same with Miami and Tua.  Anyone else is a massive downgrade, and if you draft a kid you are putting SB expectations on a rookie who, chances are, will bust anyway.  "Overrated" or not, guys like Tua and Dak are capable of going on a run.  People have the same complaints with a dude like Hurts yet he was 1 quarter away from winning the Super Bowl.  

You're gambling by handing one of these guys a massive contract, but letting him walk and replacing him with a worse vet or a rookie is like 10x the risk.  Especially for a win-now team.  

....so yeah, they didn't really have a choice, as the other guy said.

On 9/8/2024 at 11:16 AM, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

“Starting over at QB” as if that’s such a simple plan. If you have a QB good enough to get you to the playoffs, he’s worth it. Not every QB is Mahommes or Brady. 

This.

Jerry saw what Washington went through after moving on from a JAG QB (Cousins). 

Over the last six seasons, 8-8-1 is the high-water mark.  They struck out on Haskins.  Passed on Herbert, Love and Tua.  

I get the sentiment regarding paying Dak that much.  It is also nice going 74-41 as well.

5 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

This.

Jerry saw what Washington went through after moving on from a JAG QB (Cousins). 

Over the last six seasons, 8-8-1 is the high-water mark.  They struck out on Haskins.  Passed on Herbert, Love and Tua.  

I get the sentiment regarding paying Dak that much.  It is also nice going 74-41 as well.

I can understand the extension.

The season may ultimately end short of being in the Super Bowl - as it does for 30 teams each year - but winning a dozen games and making the playoffs behind a top-5 offense every year? Easier said than done to just walk away from it to start all over.

He might be the franchise's all-time leading passer by the end of this season - or if not, will be within 1-2 games away from being such - and just turned only 31 about a month ago.

Through his first 8 seasons Peyton Manning kept getting bounced out short of the Super Bowl, too. Teams he QB'd were always also-rans until they weren't. Puncher's chance and all that.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I can understand the extension.

The season may ultimately end short of being in the Super Bowl - as it does for 30 teams each year - but winning a dozen games and making the playoffs behind a top-5 offense every year? Easier said than done to just walk away from it to start all over.

He might be the franchise's all-time leading passer by the end of this season - or if not, will be within 1-2 games away from being such - and just turned only 31 about a month ago.

Through his first 8 seasons Peyton Manning kept getting bounced out short of the Super Bowl, too. Teams he QB'd were always also-rans until they weren't. Puncher's chance and all that.

That is a nice thing to fall back on.  

Peyton's biggest impediment early on was Brady.  I am not sure Dak has that.  I am not sure Mahomes has that for that matter.

After a whole two seasons on the struggle bus, I understand the thought of overpaying for a B to B+ QB.