NFL Exec: Jets may Eventually Have to Deal Haason Reddick

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

My contracts professor described a contract in a way that always stuck with me: “A contract isn’t an operational document. Most are thrown in a filing cabinet after they are signed and don’t come back out until there is a dispute. And that is because contracts are just a pre-negotiation of what happens if sh*t goes bad.”

So when people sometimes say “contracts are made to be broken,” it may be more accurate to say “contracts are made to make the consequences of breaking them predictable for all involved.”

Breaking them isn’t a moral issue, it’s an economic one.

I agree with this with one caveat.  The economic consequences for both parties are spelled out for this year but there are also implied economic consequences for future years.  This is true on BOTH sides.  For Reddick when he tries to get a new deal and JD when he sits down with every other agent looking to get the best deal for their client

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, EM31 said:

I agree with this with one caveat.  The economic consequences for both parties are spelled out for this year but there are also implied economic consequences for future years.  This is true on BOTH sides.  For Reddick when he tries to get a new deal and JD when he sits down with every other agent looking to get the best deal for their client

Yes reputation is important when you are in a repeating prisoner’s dilemma situation. However, respectfully, I think you’re underestimating how sophisticated these parties are. They all know how this works and, I believe, it’s closer to my view than to yours.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Yes reputation is important when you are in a repeating prisoner’s dilemma situation. However, respectfully, I think you’re underestimated how sophisticated these parties are. They all know how this works and, I believe, it’s closer to my view than to yours.

That's not the analogy I had in mind.  I was thinking more along the lines of insurance policies for which the premium goes up sometimes by a lot once you have had an insurance claim and in some cases the policy may not even be available at any price if the provider decides they do not want to be in that market any more,

14 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Disagree. 
some posters, in The offseason, claimed that he was the missing piece of the puzzle for a sb.

give me a break we will be lucky to make the playoffs this year so reddick can rot imo

The object of the game is to get players, pay resources to get players and have them help your team.  Douglas fails.  

The fact that Reddick will not be the 'savior' some people are projecting does not diminish the fact that Douglas got played badly and looks like a fool.

• Upvote 2

Joe Douglas anticipated Huff's departure when he burnt our 2023 1st round selection on Will McDonald. That's our plan going forward....two 1st round pick pass rushers, WMD and Jermain Johnson, both on rookie contracts. 

The Hasson Redick situation came as a bit of a surprise, and to JoeD is a 'CYA' incase Jermaine/WMD don't pan out.

Jermaine had a great 2nd season and is entering his 3rd, with hopes he takes another step forward and becomes dominant. WMC played sparingly his first season and is entering his 2nd. Coaching staff has high hopes for both edge rushers. They never planned on bringing in a high-priced trade option, but Hasson kind of fell into JD's lap. So, he burned a 2025 3rd round draft pick to have Hasson in house to teach his Rooks and play some while WMD developed.

JD has to play this carefully....IF both Jermaine and WMD develop nicely, JD won't want a $25m per season vet back there that he's locked into for the next 4 seasons. That's the whole point of having his guys on rookie deals.

BUT, JD knows our window with Aaron is narrow, and if WMD doesn't take a step, or Jermaine falters, then it may become imperative to have Hasson out there, future cap space be damned (sorry Sauce/Garrett/Breece/AVT).

JD is playing both angels....watching how his two rooks develop, while trying to get Hasson in for THIS SEASON w/o breaking the bank.

In a perfect world, Jermain/WMD are playing lights out, and we don't need to buckle to Hasson's contract demands.

But after Monday night.......

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The object of the game is to get players, pay resources to get players and have them help your team.  Douglas fails.  

The fact that Reddick will not be the 'savior' some people are projecting does not diminish the fact that Douglas got played badly and looks like a fool.

I dont think he got played or looks foolish at all but to each their own. 

If I am Joe D, reddick can rot and miss the season and get 1 year older and have no basis to get his big contract next year.

sometimes its ok to cut your nose off to spite your face. sometimes it is a wonderful thing. The guy is an ass and he levon bell himself

• Upvote 1

Though it would be great to have Reddick, giving into him would set a bad precedent and negatively impact our financials.  We're in complete control in this situation and could very well get a return that's greater and sooner than what the Jets expended on Reddick.   Reddick on the other hand is losing money weekly which he'll never get back.  The only negative is that Reddick's behavior is likely to scare off other teams and lessen his value.  Which hurts both Reddick and the Jets. 

He may also be willing to sacrifice some upside to protect against the downside risk of sustaining a serious, career-threatening injury while he’s on a one year deal.
If insurance companies didn’t make money, they wouldn’t exist. Technically most insurance policies are “economically irrational” because the net present value of your premiums is higher than the risk of loss times the recovery amount. But when you’re talking about a loss that could wipe you out, you are willing to pay more to protect against that risk than it is actually valued from an actuarial standpoint.

Fair points and good analogy.

He did reject the fully guaranteed 15 million, but I don’t see any team paying him 25 mil per season for multiple years

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

Unfortunately for the Jets, the optics of this situation can start to look bad/get twisted.   That is why it appears that players who hold out in similar situations generally win.  The two biggest losers in these situations that I can recall are Leveon Bell and Reddick.  

The players feel that the owners and their contracts "enslave" them.  

So, despite the Jets potentially having the option to essentially toll Reddick's contract and go through the same thing next year, behind the scenes someone will intervene and find a way to give the Jets a face-saving draft pick, take Reddick off their hands and give him somewhat of a long term contract (like a 3 X $20mm).  

Alternatively, Reddick can show up as late as possible to get credit for the year, and play as little as possible for the Jets for what they are willing to pay.  Reddick can then sign a FA contract for what he wants. 

But if agents and players really want these types of deals, they should negotiate better last years in their contracts, including exit clauses. 

17 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

So if they don't trade him or sign him to a new contract what happens? He continues to be in a doghouse losing money. And we end up losing a 3rd round pick for nothing? Is he able to sign elsewhere next year with another team and we get no compensation? This makes no sense on either side. I can see why the Jets don't want to invest  a new contract with him. But how does this help his cause to lose a whole year's salary of $15 M, and fines that I assume will still be allocated.  A new contract with another team next year may or may not happen to his liking anyways.  LeVon Bell, among others, tried this and LOST tons of money and didn't come close to getting the contract he wanted elsewhere. This is a real mess and JD should have had the foresight to see this could happen.  We are now minus 3 players that significantly produced a pass rush that are not here anymore.  They left and or were traded, fine, but JD needed to have a better plan in place to sustain the pass rush which is now NON-EXISTENT.

What about that tweener McDonald?

lolololololololololoolollololoolololololol

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, varjet said:

Unfortunately for the Jets, the optics of this situation can start to look bad/get twisted.   That is why it appears that players who hold out in similar situations generally win.  The two biggest losers in these situations that I can recall are Leveon Bell and Reddick.  

The players feel that the owners and their contracts "enslave" them.  

So, despite the Jets potentially having the option to essentially toll Reddick's contract and go through the same thing next year, behind the scenes someone will intervene and find a way to give the Jets a face-saving draft pick, take Reddick off their hands and give him somewhat of a long term contract (like a 3 X $20mm).  

Alternatively, Reddick can show up as late as possible to get credit for the year, and play as little as possible for the Jets for what they are willing to pay.  Reddick can then sign a FA contract for what he wants. 

But if agents and players really want these types of deals, they should negotiate better last years in their contracts, including exit clauses. 

Trade him to the panthers.  Nuff said

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

The Niners could literally hand Reddick a check for $25 mil in cash tomorrow and they’d still have $32 mil plus in cap space available to them. The Browns, Lions, Seahawks, Lions, Cardinals, and Jaguars could easily pay Reddick for a year or two of his services. 

Which begs the question - why didn't one of these many teams with plenty of cap space bite on Reddick in March when he was available?

I could see a team like the Jags or Lions renting him for the year to make a run, but I don't think the market for him is particularly robust. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Which begs the question - why didn't one of these many teams with plenty of cap space bite on Reddick in March when he was available?

I could see a team like the Jags or Lions renting him for the year to make a run, but I don't think the market for him is particularly robust. 

I think in March you were marrying Reddick. Now it’s just a pump and dump. $20 mil for four months of late game sacks? Why not?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I don't think you can see it any other way.  Roseman played him...

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

If the team implodes and it’s clear there’s going to be a housecleaning that’s when you trade him for draft picks.  There will be a team willing to go for a short term rental.  

Just now, T0mShane said:

I think in March you were marrying Reddick. 

Why? 

Isn't the thinking that, if the Jets were willing to give him, say, 25 M for the year, he would have reported in June? 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Now it’s just a pump and dump. $20 mil for four months of late game sacks? Why not?

Yea, I agree with this. I'd do it if I thought I needed another edge. The Jets seem to be afraid of pissing off some of their own players, but if I didn't have that concern and needed a boost in my pass rush, I'd definitely do it. 

I've also heard rumblings that people were concerned about him tailing off in the second half of last year, but I'd probably take the risk. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

If we lose, do you expect jd to fold? What if we win with poor pass rush

JD folds win or lose on Sunday with a poor pash rush. It’s an all in year. Jobs are on the line. I also expect a trade for Devante Adams in the coming weeks to.

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

Really? Can you please dig up the post that you and all the others made when it happened that yall have predicted? Since it is so obvious as u have claimed

So your measure of whether an NFL GM should anticipate that a player in an acrimonious contract dispute may continue said dispute after a trade is whether….. fans on a messageboard say it? Interesting litmus test.

Second and third, I was on a 9 month break from this place at the time and I decline your homework assignment to satisfy your attempt to burden shift.

41 minutes ago, jgb said:

So your measure of whether an NFL GM should anticipate that a player in an acrimonious contract dispute may continue said dispute after a trade is whether….. fans on a messageboard say it? Interesting litmus test.

Second and third, I was on a 9 month break from this place at the time and I decline your homework assignment to satisfy your attempt to burden shift.

Holy straw man!

That is NOT what I said. 

I said if it was SO obvious that he was NOT going to play, and that EVERYONE knew it except JD, please show us the posts of fans stating just that. 

The straw man has returned!!!!!

BTW, didnt reddick come here and talk to the media and stuff? Yea, and then he decided to go. You are just wrong bro take the zero and cry in the corner

46 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Holy straw man!

That is NOT what I said. 

I said if it was SO obvious that he was NOT going to play, and that EVERYONE knew it except JD, please show us the posts of fans stating just that. 

The straw man has returned!!!!!

BTW, didnt reddick come here and talk to the media and stuff? Yea, and then he decided to go. You are just wrong bro take the zero and cry in the corner

Your faux indignity is sweet music to free-thinking folk everywhere 

I don't see them trading him. At this point he can end his career by not playing and making no money.

Although another performance like Monday night were the defensive line sets no edge and I guess that first sentence could change in a hurry.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The Niners could literally hand Reddick a check for $25 mil in cash tomorrow and they’d still have $32 mil plus in cap space available to them. The Browns, Lions, Seahawks, Lions, Cardinals, and Jaguars could easily pay Reddick for a year or two of his services. 

They literally could not unless they made such a transaction worth our while

4 hours ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

JD folds win or lose on Sunday with a poor pash rush. It’s an all in year. Jobs are on the line. I also expect a trade for Devante Adams in the coming weeks to.

How and where will they get the money/cap space to pay Adams, and if they somehow do get it, what do you think the Raiders will ask for him… one or two 1st round picks?