IF / WHEN Reddick shows up, who gets cut?

6 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

None of the above.

He will not report.

Reddick wants a long term $100 million contract.  His only way to get that is to be a UFA next offseason which means he at some point whatever it is under the CBA has to report and at least suit up for games this season 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Reddick wants a long term $100 million contract.  His only way to get that is to be a UFA next offseason which means he at some point whatever it is under the CBA has to report and at least suit up for games this season 

No, the more I think about it... He has gone nuclear and CAA dropped him... He is not going to report and may never play again. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

8% voted he'd retire and become full time ninja before the season

To be fair... Most people thought losing 14. 5 million in salary and an additional 7 million in fines would be enough to push anyone to come in... But I guess not this guy... The NFL and Jets will go after his 7 million in fines... Even if he retires... It is a serious threat if he sits out... 

7 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

I keep hearing this over & over, but I don't believe it.

What I see happening:

Reddick sits out the entire season (probably believing that he'll still be marketable, without enduring any wear & tear this season) & JD trades him in the off-season, for whatever he can get, at which point he becomes another team's problem.

I have to believe that whatever team trades for him in the off-season, will have a new contract ready for him to sign, once the trade is made, to avoid the kind of drama & bullsh!t that he put the Jets through this season.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

What I see happening:

Reddick sits out the entire season (probably believing that he'll still be marketable, without enduring any wear & tear this season) & JD trades him in the off-season, for whatever he can get, at which point he becomes another team's problem.

I have to believe that whatever team trades for him in the off-season, will have a new contract ready for him to sign, once the trade is made, to avoid the kind of drama & bullsh!t that he put the Jets through this season.

What was supposedly leaked was the Eagles offered him a new deal at $22MM/year in February, Reddick turned that down and requested a trade instead, and when other teams caught wind of how much he turned down and wanted instead, they were collectively uninterested. No one except Douglas, trading for the Eagles' presumed future comp pick after he got him to at least verbally agree to at least play wait & see with the Jets after zero teams came running with the offer he wanted (and with new mandatory holdout penalties favoring teams over players in this regard), and then after everything was cordial enough at a presser, then he held out anyway when no one's held out this long in many years.

I agree in the spring the Jets would want to trade him, but why would another team want to sign up for his "drama & bullsh!t" the Jets want to avoid? Why would any team do that next offseason when none would do that this past offseason? Further in 2025 he'll then be a year older, hasn't played since 2023,

So a year later after no one was willing to do it this past offseason, after he then held out the entire season, it's going to be pretty tough to find a team wants to trade the Jets a 3rd-4th round draft pick for the rights to offer Reddick multiple years of $25MM fully guaranteed, instead of drafting someone at a fraction of the cost, drama, risk of future holdout, who's demonstrated he's willing to hold out even if it hurts both himself and his (preseason) contender team. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What was supposedly leaked was the Eagles offered him a new deal at $22MM/year in February, Reddick turned that down and requested a trade instead, and when other teams caught wind of how much he turned down and wanted instead, they were collectively uninterested. No one except Douglas, trading for the Eagles' presumed future comp pick after he got him to at least verbally agree to at least play wait & see with the Jets after zero teams came running with the offer he wanted (and with new mandatory holdout penalties favoring teams over players in this regard), and then after everything was cordial enough at a presser, then he held out anyway when no one's held out this long in many years.

I agree in the spring the Jets would want to trade him, but why would another team want to sign up for his "drama & bullsh!t" the Jets want to avoid? Why would any team do that next offseason when none would do that this past offseason? Further in 2025 he'll then be a year older, hasn't played since 2023,

So a year later after no one was willing to do it this past offseason, after he then held out the entire season, it's going to be pretty tough to find a team wants to trade the Jets a 3rd-4th round draft pick for the rights to offer Reddick multiple years of $25MM fully guaranteed, instead of drafting someone at a fraction of the cost, drama, risk of future holdout, who's demonstrated he's willing to hold out even if it hurts both himself and his (preseason) contender team. 

This all leads back to Reddick being so stubborn that he is going to wreck his career... 

I bet Dandy let Reddick walk

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Wit said:

I think they need to trade him and recoup that third rounder and move on. It sucks but it is what it is

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Who's trading a 3rd rounder for Reddick after everyone - except the Jets - passed on the opportunity in March before he held out for a year?

The problem isn't that he isn't worth a 3rd rounder. The problem is he isn't worth a 3rd rounder AND a long term contract at $25MM/year with the first two years fully guaranteed. That's why the only team to offer up a 3rd came from the Jets who at least had a handshake agreement that he wasn't going to hold out.

His idiotic holdout this season will cost himself $14MM+ if he never plays again, or like $20MM if he doesn't retire, as the fines are going to follow him even if he's on another team.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Lots of "what ifs", we can only speculate.

I agree, Reddick would be fairly unattractive in 2025, when he'll then be a year older, hasn't played since 2023.

But there is always that one team, that will roll the dice and take a calculated risk.

JD did it this season and rolled snake eyes, hopefully, some other team is willing to take a risk in 2025.

And for the record, the Jets have ZERO chance of getting that future 3rd round pick back, we'll probably have to wind up settling, for a future 5th or 6th rounder, after this debacle.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

Cut Reddick (idk the cap impact) or trade him.  

Even if he showed up tomorrow who knows what kind of shape he is in.  How many weeks until he is ready to play in a game? 

This I wouldn't do. 

If he is willing to show up under his existing contract even with his tail between his legs? Then the first 1-2 weeks are potentially still unpaid if he's not in game shape; then pay him per game while he is showcasing himself for the big pay bump he so badly wants as a UFA in March, then recoup a 3rd/4th rounder as a comp pick in 2026.

Things haven't been at a standstill because the Jets want nothing to do with him. They're at a standstill because they only want him under his existing contract but not at the amount he was seeking and couldn't get (from the Eagles or anyone else) this past offseason.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Lots of what ifs, we can only speculate.

While I agree, Reddick would be fairly unattractive in 2025, when he'll then be a year older, hasn't played since 2023.

But there is always that one team, that will roll the dice and take a calculated risk.

JD did it this season and rolled snake eyes, hopefully, some other team is willing to take a risk in 2025.

And for the record, the Jets have ZERO chance of getting that future 3rd round pick back, probably have to wind up settling for a future 5th or 6th rounder, after this debacle.

If Danielle Hunter continues his dropoff, and finishes with say just 7-8 sacks after cashing in at $25MM/year at age 30 - even though they're different people - it could have an effect on what someone's willing to offer Reddick guaranteeing his age-31 and age-32 seasons in advance (starting out 3 seasons removed from his last lights-out season).

Before Hunter it was Von Miller who wasn't supposed to have a 30-something dropoff (he's off to a good start this year in terms of sacks, but he's now being used like the Jets used Bryce Huff: on the field purely on passing downs rather than as the elite-on-every-down player he not only was, but was paid to be).

On the other side of the coin there's the ageless Khalil Mack. It's worth noting, though, the 265-270-pound Mack was also an elite-everything all those years before his Chargers contract; not just as a 240-pound OLB on a team with 4 down linemen who were all serious pass rushers themselves in his lone 13+ sack season.

All that said, if he shows up just to start the last 6 games and registers 5-6 sacks, plus then about a sack per game in the playoffs (however long that lasts), then yeah it's a good bet someone's going to sign him for more than 5th/6th round comp pick money.

In that case, I might add, things will have worked out amazingly for the Jets: they got him for far less than the $14.25MM they were willing to pay, made the playoffs while paying him far less than that, and the net draft pick paid out is negligible (in the middle rounds, dropping about a round in a draft two years into the future). 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

What I see happening:

Given Reddick’s irrational stance so far, this is certainly a real possibility - but a foolish one, imho. His best bet to be paid what he wants is to be a free agent who can negotiate with any team rather than the single team willing to give Joe Douglas whatever he considers to be reasonable compensation. Douglas can squat on his rights until the end of time, if that’s what he wants to do. It’s not like he’ll feel like doing Reddick any favors. 

But again, how much drama and bull**** is it really? While it seems to be a major distraction for fans and the media (especially the **** stirring variety), it hasn’t seemed to affect the team at all. It’s a blemish. A true mountain/molehill situation. 

• Upvote 1

I have to say Reddick has truly replaced Bryce Huff.  Not as a player on the field but as the all important lightning rod proving that this board has a completely irrational and unrealistic take on contracts and trade value.  First we were going to be able to tag and trade Bryce Huff for a 2nd rounder because teams were lining up to pay him $20M per.  That, despite the fact that in 2023 he played on the 2nd round tender and no team made an offer for him at $4M. 

Now people seem to think we are going to get a 3rd for Reddick who has been holding out and incommunicado since April when the most Philly could get was our 2026 3rd which equates to a 2024 5th.  Or that we are going to make him hold out all year and then trade him for more next offseason.  Literally the only way a team might be offering more than what the Jets did would be if it were an in conference/division team the Eagles didn't want to deal with - the way the Packers wouldn't trade Favre to the Vikings.  The Jets were holding out hope for a Chris Jones type deal.  I guess they still are.  We shall see, but it is highly unlikely that they can deal him even for anything approaching what they gave up.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, slats said:

Given Reddick’s irrational stance so far, this is certainly a real possibility - but a foolish one, imho. His best bet to be paid what he wants is to be a free agent who can negotiate with any team rather than the single team willing to give Joe Douglas whatever he considers to be reasonable compensation. Douglas can squat on his rights until the end of time, if that’s what he wants to do. It’s not like he’ll feel like doing Reddick any favors. 

But again, how much drama and bull**** is it really? While it seems to be a major distraction for fans and the media (especially the **** stirring variety), it hasn’t seemed to affect the team at all. It’s a blemish. A true mountain/molehill situation. 

Point being, Reddick has been nothing but foolish, up to this point and I see no realistic, tangible reason to think, that his stance will change.

That said, I completely agree that the holdout drama, hasn't affected the team up to this point and most likely won't.

It's just a point of irritation for the fanbase and something for the beat-writers to make up their own narratives about.

29 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Point being, Reddick has been nothing but foolish, up to this point and I see no realistic, tangible reason to think, that his stance will change.

That said, I completely agree that the holdout drama, hasn't affected the team up to this point and most likely won't.

It's just a point of irritation for the fanbase and something for the beat-writers to make up their own narratives about.

It's cool to worry about the press and the fans, but sometimes this stuff is good because it takes the stories away from other nonsense.  Like Rodgers failing to hug Saleh back.